Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk

4.5

Water, Sesame Seed Oil, Alcohol, Jojoba Seed Oil, Lysolecithin, Fragrance*, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Witch Hazel Distillate, Iris Germanica Root Extract, Xanthan Gum, Limonene*, Linalool*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Citral*. *from natural essential oils

As a brand, I like Weleda because many of the products are packaged in metal or glass, and I do not buy products packaged in plastic for environmental reasons. Also, since they are a European company, it's my perception the products are less likely to be unhealthy and full of potentially unsafe chemicals, due to stringent European product safety standards.

I had been using Dr. Hauschka Sothing Cleansing Milk (also packaged in glass and European) and wanted to try something similar. The Weleda cost a bit less per unit than the Dr. Hauschka, so I thought I'd try it it. Here's my take...

What I don't love about this cleanser, first and foremost, is the very strong fragrance. It's a heavy herbal/floral scent. When looking at it, I didn't notice that "fragrance" is the sixth ingredient on the product list. Even if it is a naturally derived fragrance, it's way too strong for my liking. Since it's an open bottle top, it also tends to pour out all at once, which is wasteful. I don't care for the somewhat thin consistency, either. It's a lot thinner than the Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk.

I guess it's doing an OK job of cleansing my skin. I haven't had any issues since using it, and I do tend to have fairly sensitive skin. I don't wear much makeup (i.e., no foundation) but since it's so thin in consistency, somehow my perception is that it isn't really taking everything off at the end of the day. After using it, my skin feels fine, though, neither stripped nor filmy.

In the long run, I'll be going back to Dr. Hauschka.

Pros:
Packaged in blue glass
Realtively short ingredient list
Lower per unit cost than Dr. H

Cons:
Uncontrolled product dispensing
Very strong scent
Thin consistency

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I love this cleanser. I'm in my mid 30s, have light PMS breakouts, rosacea when I have caffeine, wine, or chilies, and combination skin. I am also interested in nourishing my skin through the colder, drier months so that I age well :-D. This cleanser has a therapeutic herbal aroma. It cleanses my skin without drying or clogging pores. It is milky and non-foaming but rinses easily. I like that it's so gentle - great cleanser for autumn weather. I have been using Weleda for 15 years - they're simply wonderful. Only complaint is that the product does pour out a little fast, so have a gentle hand with it.

on 10/17/2012 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I am on my 3rd bottle of this cleanser and I really like it. It leaves my skin feeeling clean, refreshed and happy (as in not dry, tight, bumpy, grainy or red). I seem to be breaking out less with this too because I think it cleanses without drying your skin. I have dryish, sensitive skin and now that I am almost mid-thirties my skin just doesnt seem to handle foaming cleansers anymore (even my cerave foaming wash was starting to dry and irritate) so I have switched exclusively to this. I use it morning and night. At night, I apply it to my dry face and really massage it in a few minutes to lift up makeup and grime. I get a baby wash cloth with hot (not piping hot) water and press to my face for about 30 seconds then use gentle downward motions to remove makeup. I keep going over my face till all makeup is removed. Since it has essential oils, I dont use it to remove eye makeup so I still use plain almond oil there. Then after removing makeup, I take a little more cleanser, massage into skin for a minute or so, and then splash it off with lukewarm water. This final step leaves me extra clean and leaves a light layer of moisture behind on my skin since I dont take it off with the hot wash cloth. Then I tone and put on my Weleda Almond cream and my skin is so happy and redness is reduced so I am happy :)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

This is a new cleanser for the Weleda line. Cleansing Milk's are a new thing for me and I'm learning I have to give the product a little more massage time, but when I do I really prefer a cleansing milk. They don't feel stripping, I'm not counting down the seconds until I can apply my face oil and my skin feels considerably more relaxed and nourished, dare I say balanced after using one. I read an intern's review on the Weleda site and she mentioned massaging it in with a damp cotton round so I tried that and fell in love. I follow her routine, splash my face with some warm water, massage about a quarter+ size amount into my whole face for a minute or two, then take a damp cotton round (usu. two) and continue to massage the product in, sometimes adding more if I've just come in from a run and am sweaty, greasy and grimey from the day. This product is what is says--a gentle cleansing milk, but very effective and still protective and nourishing. I have been alternating this with my L'uvalla Gentle Hydrating Milk, (thicker, more emollient rich) and my skin has never felt happier. (After ~6 years of using the same cleanser every day, I've learned the benefits of tweaking my cleanser based upon skin nuances, and these two interchange quite nicely without feeling diametrically opposed in function, both very gentle, nourishing, Weleda being lighter and my preference before a run and the L'uvalla before bed). While I love my cleansing oils, those can leave behind a residue that I have to be fastidious about removing, otherwise massive breakouts ensue :( that whole process can become time consuming, though it's great for removing clogs. I wanted something gentle and easy for the evening, not too time consuming, this is a great product for that. I actually enjoy cleansing my face now that I've been turned onto cleansing milks--no longer fearing the ache, burn and tightness I was feeling after washing with a stronger cleanser. I've noticed a marked decrease in my redness and yay no clogs appearing! Right now with the weather being spring (cool and rainy one day, hot and sunny the next), this is great for balancing and I can see it taking me well through the summer. I feel nicely clean and *not stripped* after using this. I typically have issues with products that combine an oil + alcohol, usually end up with something resembling a heat rash on my face, it seems the alcohol burns my face and an oil and/or wax traps in the heat, but NO PROBLEMS with this, yay! Plus it's the Weleda line, I love their line and trust their ingredients. Well worth the price and makes for a fantastic cleanser for my sensitive, clog-prone, combo skin.

Ingredients are: Water (Aqua), Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Lysolecithin, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Distillate, Iris Germanica Root Extract, Xanthan Gum, Limonene*, Linalool*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Citral*. *from natural essential oils