Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Weleda Gentle Cleansing Milk

3.8

Water, Sesame Seed Oil, Alcohol, Jojoba Seed Oil, Lysolecithin, Fragrance*, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Witch Hazel Distillate, Iris Germanica Root Extract, Xanthan Gum, Limonene*, Linalool*, Citronellol*, Geraniol*, Citral*. *from natural essential oils

As a brand, I like Weleda because many of the products are packaged in metal or glass, and I do not buy products packaged in plastic for environmental reasons. Also, since they are a European company, it's my perception the products are less likely to be unhealthy and full of potentially unsafe chemicals, due to stringent European product safety standards.

I had been using Dr. Hauschka Sothing Cleansing Milk (also packaged in glass and European) and wanted to try something similar. The Weleda cost a bit less per unit than the Dr. Hauschka, so I thought I'd try it it. Here's my take...

What I don't love about this cleanser, first and foremost, is the very strong fragrance. It's a heavy herbal/floral scent. When looking at it, I didn't notice that "fragrance" is the sixth ingredient on the product list. Even if it is a naturally derived fragrance, it's way too strong for my liking. Since it's an open bottle top, it also tends to pour out all at once, which is wasteful. I don't care for the somewhat thin consistency, either. It's a lot thinner than the Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk.

I guess it's doing an OK job of cleansing my skin. I haven't had any issues since using it, and I do tend to have fairly sensitive skin. I don't wear much makeup (i.e., no foundation) but since it's so thin in consistency, somehow my perception is that it isn't really taking everything off at the end of the day. After using it, my skin feels fine, though, neither stripped nor filmy.

In the long run, I'll be going back to Dr. Hauschka.

Pros:
Packaged in blue glass
Realtively short ingredient list
Lower per unit cost than Dr. H

Cons:
Uncontrolled product dispensing
Very strong scent
Thin consistency

on 6/7/2013 1:11:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Since having a baby my skin has become dry, after years of struggling with oily, acne-prone and combination skin. I bought this cleanser at my local natural foods store on a whim, mostly because I have had good experiences with other Weleda products. After using this cleanser at night for a few months, I am not in love with it. The bottle is lovely to look at but as other reviewers have mentioned, the cleanser just pours out too fast, leading to waste. I have experimented with wetting my skin first, versus applying it to dry skin then rinsing, and I think I like the latter option. That leaves my slim feeling soft and refreshed. The scent is lovely and it has a nice milky consistency, although some may find it a tad strong, even medicinal. It could Be thicker. when I use it on wet skin I feel as if little actual cleansing is occurring. I don't like that you cannot use this on your eyes to wash off eye makeup; I just like a multitasking cleanser like my old Shu Uemura oil cleanser better. I think I'll stick with Weleda for body oils and hand cream but will not be purchasing this cleanser again.

on 3/4/2012 8:26:00 AM

I really liked this one, it doesn't dry out my skin though it does make it a little bit oily. I have sensitive skin & atopic excema and i didn't have any allergic reactions on this product, and i've also dropped it on the floor several times and it didn't smash ;) But it doesn't completely remove all of my makeup so the days I wear face makeup I remove it before cleansing the skin.

on 10/16/2011 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm on my fourth bottle of Weleda's Gentle Cleansing Milk and have no plans to stop now- I love this stuff.

I have sensitive, oily skin, and some time back, I decided that I was going to start treating it differently. Instead of washing with a cleanser designed for oily skin, I started using this cleansing milk and following it up with the Weleda toner. For whatever reason, this seems to have made a very positive impact on my skin. The oil production seems to have decreased, possibly because I'm no longer stripping the oil away.

In any case, this cleanser leaves my skin soft and fresh. Over time, I've noticed a decrease in redness and fewer breakouts, as well. The product has a texture like a very thin lotion, and has a very pleasant and distinctive herbal smell. I pour out a nickel-sized portion onto my hands every morning and night, massage it into my face, let it sit for about 30 seconds, then rinse with warm water. The cleansing milk is especially effective when used in conjunction with Weleda's refining toner, but it highly recommended on its own, as well. Great stuff.