Josie Maran Cosmetics Argan Cleansing Oil

Josie Maran Cosmetics Argan Cleansing Oil

3.2

Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Polysorbate-80, Polysorbate-20, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Citrus Grandis (Pomelo Grapefruit) Seed oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Tocopherol, (Antioxidant), Sucralose.

This was my first Oil-based cleanser I'd ever bought four or so years ago. It was….very unremarkable, but it did all it said it would hence the three-star rating. There are much better ones out there that don't sting the eyes, and are less sticky-thick.

on 7/2/2016 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm on my second bottle of this product and couldn't be happier with it. It thoroughly cleans my combination/pily skin without stripping it, and is perfect for year around use. I would even argue that my skin goes through less breakouts now than before. My only complaint is the packaging - I leave this bottle on my bathroom counter and after I pump out a bit, a little ring of oil always end up near the base (I suspect that the top leaks somewhat). Otherwise, this is a great product and I will repurchase.

To Read all 122 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I first tried this in one of Josie Maran's sampler packs. This was not my first oil cleanser, but it ended up becoming my favorite. I used the full 2 oz bottle and then purchased and used the full 6 oz bottle. I love the scent of this oil cleanser. It is citrus scented without being cloying. I also love the feel of applying this cleanser and how my skin feels after washing it off. I only need to use one pump usually to cover my whole face. I rub it in usually for the whole minute. Then I start to rub in a little water to loosen it up before splashing with more water. This rinses off easily and leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth. I have combination skin and I feel this is just right for my skin. Would definitely repurchase.

on 5/20/2016 9:02:00 PM

This is the second oil cleanser that I've tried and I really like it. I'm reviewing the travel size so the packaging and price were fine by me. It is thick, but it shouldn't be dragging across your face--people struggling with that just need to add a teeny tiny bit of moisture! I actually like to use this in the shower after my face has been steamed.

It leaves skin very soft and I didn't experience any dryness or tightness. It doesn't always remove all my makeup - but if I buff it in correctly (ie. not be lazy with it) it does a pretty good job. I love oil cleansers because they're perfect for my combo skin. I also love that this is natural and has simple ingredients. The smell doesn't bother me, it's very faint.

on 4/4/2016 5:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The last in my giant Josie Maran review dump...phew! I'm finishing up a deluxe sample size of this cleanser. It's nice and thick, which I love -- I switched from Tatcha Camellia cleansing oil to this one and it was amazing. Compared to the half-bottle of Tatcha I was using to get all my makeup off, it just takes a couple of drops to cover my whole face. I now use all my cleansing products in conjunction with a Makeup Eraser, so I really don't have a problem with it removing even waterproof makeup (review to follow on the Makeup Eraser; that gimmicky-looking thing is sheer witchcraft).

The smell is kind of weird. Apparently it's grapefruit but frankly, until I read the other reviews here, I wouldn't have guessed it.

The best part about this cleanser is that it makes my skin SO FREAKING SOFT afterwards. I don't know if the Tatcha was stripping my skin or what, but I love how my face feels after I wash it with the JM oil. It's even more moisturizing than my previous HG, MAC Cleanse-off Oil. However, it's definitely not as forgiving to contact lenses as the MAC. God help you if you get this stuff in your eyes when you're wearing contacts, because it is brutal with a capital B.

Overall, not bad at all. I like that it's 180 ml for $31 (the MAC is now $32 for 150 ml, which is why I stopped buying it -- if I remember correctly it used to be like 19 bucks or something). That's still pretty pricey for cleanser so I took off a lippie on principle but I'd probably buy the full size if I ran out and couldn't find a cheaper replacement. It lasts a long time so I can't be too grumpy about it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used to use this last year, though I'm not currently using it now. Right now I'm just using straight grapeseed oil to precleanse because it's cheap and works, although I am contemplating making my own emulsifying oil cleanser at home. However, I did like this oil cleanser and I might buy it again in the future.

It's a fairly thick oil cleanser that needs a good shake before use to make sure all of the ingredients are mixed together. I find I needed about 4 pumps of the oil to really break up makeup and spread evenly over the face. Because it's slightly thick you do need to really work it into the skin. It rinses completely clean and is non drying, which are the two most important things to me, however I still follow up with a second cleanser always.

The grapefruit extract gives it a smell that I don't personally LOVE but it's not really a big deal to me as it's something you're going to rinse off anyways. I did find that if the oil got into your mouth at all you could taste the extract and it was somewhat unpleasant.

My biggest irritation and complaint about this product is the packaging, and I'm not sure if it was just my bottle in particular or if this is something others experienced as well. Although the cap twists closed to a "locked" position, it doesn't really stay locked and it doesn't take much to turn the cap back to open. If you are travelling with it, I wouldn't trust the cap to stay closed on it's own and I had to tape it shut each time to avoid an oily mess. Also, each time I would press down on the cap excess oil seemed to come out around the cap making the whole bottle oily. If these packaging issues were resolved it would eliminate my biggest annoyances with the product.

Overall, this was was a solid cleansing oil that removed all makeup, rinsed clean, didn't dry out my skin or clog and break me out. This would be the cleansing oil I'd recommend to anyone looking for an easily bought, ready made cleansing oil that doesn't want to bother with a straight carrier oil or making their own at home. It also lasted me about 6 months with typically daily usage. I'll probably repurchase one day in the future if I want to treat myself.

on 2/13/2016 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

First impression, this is really thick, heavy and sticky. Second impression, while this has no added artificial or added fragrance, there is a scent from the grapefruit oil in this. If you are sensitive to citrus, citrus oils, or scent this should probably be avoided. However on the plus side, this does a very good job of removing makeup. I wear a fullface almost everyday and I could see my foundation, blush, eyeshadow washing off. I wear regular, not water proof mascara and this product did not easily or effectively remove mascara. I felt the price was fair for the amount of product. The bottle states to use 3-5 pumps, I found three to be more than enough, and two be be sufficient. Anything more would probably be excessive. My skin felt soft and smooth after cleansing with this product, and I would probably repurchase.

I like this cleansing oil, but I likely won't repurchase it. I like the Josie Maran line concept, but not all of the products work as I expect them to. This oil is very thick, and takes a rigorous application/work to get it on and work it over te skin. This doesn't bother me much at all, but I could see some not wanting to deal with this. I would gladly deal with the thick, not-sp-easy to spread consistency, if it would remove my waterproof mascara, but alas, sadly, it does not. Well, it will remove it from my lashes, but then it just ends up under my eyes, ... Not an area I want to do extra cleanising/scrubbing/pulling. The scent is enjoyable and peculiar at the same time. I love citrus scents, and this one is a very sweet orange sorbet scent. I like it, but it's also very strong and almost too sweet. It rinses really well, removes all of my other makeup well, and leaves my skin quite comfortable. It doesn't seem to irritate my sensitive skin. If it wer more effective at removing my waterproof mascara, I would definitely repurchase it. Seeing as it does not remove waterproof eye makeup well, I likely won't repurchase, as I always wear waterproof mascara. I think this is a really good cleanser for someone who does not wear waterproof eye makeup. So, I am a bit of two minds on this one, but I will stick with my Shu Uemura cleansing oil for now.

on 1/17/2016 10:52:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I really disliked the texture of this product. It felt very thick on my skin and like a soapy film. I typically use unscented mineral oil on my skin to oil cleanse, and it removes waterproof mascara easily. This did not. I will continue to use mineral oil and Cerave foaming facial cleanser on my skin.

Smells really nice!!!

But I'd rather use plain olive oil or coconut oil because they cut through makeup, even waterproof mascara, SO MUCH EASIER than this Josie Oil.

Also love removing my makeup with just bubble fleece/minky and plain water. Was going to buy one of the clothes sold at Sephora but $14 & $20 is way too expensive!

1/8 of a yard of bubble fleece bought at Walmart for 88CENTS was enough for me, my sis and niece.
Saturate the cloth and squeeze out the excess water..removes water super easy!