Thierry Mugler Angel

3.1

on 11/22/2017 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

ORIGINAL 1 STAR REVIEW
I'm an infamous mediator. I see both sides to everything, so this highly polarizing fragrance drew too much curiousity to pass up! Surely people were exaggerating, and it's not something you either LOVE or you HATE? The top selling fragrance in the world, surely the haters were just rebelling against the popularity of an otherwise decent perfume?

I braced myself, applied one spritz, and was hit with a strong bug spray, Christmas tree, and soap smell. I perserved. An hour in, the patchouli settles down and the honey, foody notes start peeking through. It stays like this till end on me. While people complain that this smells ''dirty'' to me it smells clean. Far too clean.

At no point did I feel angelic or beautiful. If anything, it is as if I was a very naughty girl who was punished for eating too many sweets by having my mouth washed out with soap. The soap with the bare trace of the sweets is exactly how this smells. Any temptation that the gourmand might provoke is dashed with the soapy notes, and not in a sexy teasing way, a very WRONG way. Like this is something that will kill you if you eat it. I absolutely agree with another reviewer that said that the combination of edible + inedible is nauseating. And not in the rude way, the actual stomach-turning way.

So there you have it. I wanted to like this or at the very least see the good and bad equally, but this is just... bad. I genuinely wish I could smell the beautiful sweet notes that everyone who loves it professes to smell. Oh well! I'm convinced that most people who love it had to acquire the taste. Considering I don't believe I've smelled this on anyone before in my life, at least rest assured that you will smell unique.

EDIT: Okay, so I tried this again, making sure to diffuse the fragrance over a large area of the body instead of concentrating a spray. Definitely feeling more sweet notes, a general softer feel to it, no pine tree, no bug spray. This is a spray-once-and-walk-through-naked fragrance. Gave it an extra lippie because I can KIND OF see the appeal now.

EDIT2: Gosh, I keep improving the score. Definitely don't spray this concentrated on your wrists or elbows and sniff yourself to judge the fragrance. Be brave on a day in and spread a small spray over your forearms. Notice the sillage instead of sniffing up close. Definitely have a more balanced opinion now! Mature, chocolatey, vanilla-y yummyness. Still not a fan of the patch but it doesn't feature as heavily when thinly applied.

EDIT3: Idk what happened, the stinkbomb made me love it! At any rate it's perfect for Christmas. I actually wore it outside today after a snowstorm and it was perfect. I just made sure to put it on an hour before.

The scent reminds me of getting a hug from my rich aunt (I believe she wore original Shalimar) while at a birthday party full of sweets and good times. The patch features, but balances out the sweet notes with spiciness/smoke/cleanliness after one hour of sparse skin wear.

Angel is a dominatrix. She will beat you, assault you, and just when you've given up, AND NOT A MOMENT SOONER, she will show you the glory of God. Vera Wang Princess is the soft, kind, unoffensive version of Angel. But Queen Angel has her place when you need to show your authority and strength. Respect her majesty, apply carefully and only in appropriate situations where you need the strength, and you will be rewarded with amazing comfort while you Take Control of Shit.

Sometimes, you need to smell like a rich white lady with questionable, but expensive taste, in order to feel in control and taken seriously.

on 6/7/2016 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Yes I am likely to buy it again despite I gave a low rating. I like that it smells different, statement-like. The problem I have with it are the lasting power and sillage. I've put 3 spritz because of the reviews. It smelled nice first few hours. Now, 6 h of wearing it I cannot detect it at all.
I bought it in Spain, at duty free, the 75 ml bottle, EDP, in case that makes a difference (bought in May 2016).
I have the same problem with Mugler's Alien, but not with Angel Muse.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Angel is not ethereal or romantic to me.
It starts out pungent and musky, and turns thickly, sickly sweet after several minutes. Turns my stomach pretty bad, too.
It has incredible staying power, so it's too damn bad that I can't stand it. And the packaging is gorgeous. I love that you can get the little stand for the stars. Beautiful. But my cod, that smell just does not agree with me.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This perfume smells like you went into Sephora and sprayed no less than 10 fragrances on you at once. Also the sillage is extremely high and just a small drop is known to induce headaches for you and everyone you come into contact with.

on 4/26/2013 6:16:00 PM

No thanks. This is absolutely disgusting. It smells like incense, BAD ones, and kinda like my mom & dads duffel bags they would bring home from deployments, and shoe polish now that I think of it. Thank goodness i only have free samples, and no one hated me enough to give this as a gift.

Strange and different...Smells like ceder and cough syrup...

on 1/28/2013 11:06:00 PM

Angel's scent is crisp, clean, and fresh. There really are no other words to describe this delicate scent. I have worn this scent for several years and it is an all time favorite in my perfume collection. Depending on where you buy it, it costs around $59.00 at most stores (macys , nordstroms, target, etc.)

Angel is the most overrated, overpriced and over worn perfume I have ever experienced in my life! I have tried this numerous times because I thought 'surely it must get better?' but it never does! It smells of body odour, pee and bug spray. I got into my friends car and she said to me 'What is that foul smell?!' Everytime I smell this on someone I feel so ill. To all the people who wear this: PLEASE USE SPARINGLY because quite frankly it is disgusting.

I'cant remember how many bottles I've purchased of Angel. It's my favorite scent for almost 10 years.
It was unfamiliar to me, but my husband (at the time he was my boyfriend) bought this as a gift for me. I had to get used to this unusual scent. It didn't stink, but it was unlike the floral scents I was used wearing. I used it anyway, because it was a gift and I was crazy in love with my boyfriend, so nothing he could do was wrong!
After a couple of weeks wearing it I fell in love with it. People on the street asked me what I was wearing, my perfume was amazing! :)
I was (and still am) convinced, this is my signature scent. My skin agrees with it 100%. And very important: it stays all day long and you don't need much of it. I love it!

Edit 7/6/2016
I cannot have enough Angel around me. Again I am obsessed with the blue poison. After not wearing it for nearly 2 years, it got to me again. What a beautiful scent this is, even after all those years. I can bathe in it, drink it, be it.
As for the notes, all I actually get are the vanilla and honey, with a hint of chocolate. After a few hours the patchouli really kicks in and then it becomes so sexy. By the next morning (! Yes, that long) I get soft patchouli and musk, which is absolute bliss.
I own the bodycream , but for sure now I want the body oil too. Just because... another way of wearing Angel cannot go wrong!
But here's the key: always use it sparingly! Yes, you can layer with the soap, bodycream/oil. But when it comes to actually applying the juice, I don't even push the spritzer all the way down, only half to be exact. I put it on my pulse points, very lightly. I don't want to be pointed at as "oh no, here goes another Angel bomb". That wouldn't do justice to this gorgeous and unique scent.
It just works for me, and to be honest, Angel crushes all my Chanel and Germain babies.... there, I 've said it!

on 3/20/2012 10:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, what to say about Angel? The EDP is practically radioactive coming out of the bottle and the top notes make me think of commercial bathroom cleaner + mutant cotton candy (and yes, it absolutely MUST be applied very sparingly). I'm glad I gave it a chance though cuz after 20 minutes or so it smells much less synthetic and overbearing, on me settling into a slow delicious unfolding of fruit, chocolate, spices, vanilla and musk. I can tell it's in there, but thankfully it doesn't smell much like patchouli to me at any stage. Drydown is lovely and very long lasting.

I get compliments all the time when I'm wearing Angel and like others here I've found that guys usually find it very enticing, although I had a BF who disliked it. On the downside it's a pretty common scent that some find annoying and it's not mysterious or subtle even in small doses (basically just pleads "EAT ME!!"). Bottom line is, I really love the way it smells on me after it calms down and often wear it as an evening scent.

Popular Fragrances