Thierry Mugler Angel

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I had never heard of this perfume, but I got a sample of it in one of my subscription boxes years ago. Since then I have been infatuated with it! It's think it's one of those perfumes that you either love or you hate. I love it! It's a very specific scent and it's very potent. You really only need one or two sprays and this perfume will last you the whole day! I have gotten so many compliments when I'm wearing it. It is a bit expensive, but I honestly think it's worth it. This is a scent that can't be duplicated and it stands the test of time.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The (in)famous Thierry Mugler Angel... either you love it or you hate it. Now that I've finally procured a sample of this fragrance for myself, I can safely put myself in the latter camp once and for all. It's so bad that I've already dumped my overpriced sample vial in the trash.

Take a look at the chaotic mishmash of notes on Fragrantica or wherever and tell me that isn't a trainwreck of a fragrance. There's no rhyme or reason whatsoever. It looks like they just picked all the notes they thought sounded appealing and tossed them together. Citrus, berries, tropical fruits, flowers, patchouli, creamy gourmands, the whole gang's here. The problem is, your nose can't possibly pick out all the individual notes. Instead, what you're left with is a truly funky-smelling mixture. It's kind of like when you mix a bunch of different colors of paint together, the end result is not a pretty rainbow but rather a nasty grey.

Rancid corn tortilla. That's all I could smell throughout the entire duration. There's an undercurrent of patchouli and honey and all the other notes in the overwhelming list, but the tortilla of death is always in the front and center. Look - I understand that animalistic/sweaty notes can be amazing in perfumes, but they completely missed the mark here. Smelling like the back of a Mexican restaurant is not sexy.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've caught a whiff of Angel on any passerby for a very long time now. I remember this fragrance being all the rage in the early to mid 2000s. All I can do is pray that this never gets a resurgence.

on 12/22/2016 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Really didn't appreciate the fragrance this had at all I found so strong and just odd in it's smell. I think where fragrance is concerned the beauty of it is in the ye of the beholder, some people love this I find a lot of strange smelling fragrances are well loved by a lot of other people but this one didn't do it for me.

on 10/8/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Let me start this review by saying that Angel deserves the reputation it gets. It's brash, loud, and dramatic; it follows the tradition in the perfume hall of fame as part of the ultimate power woman fragrances that were so ubiquitous pre-1990s, even though I could definitely see a man wear it without any problems. In fact, it is quite often referred to as a "drag queen perfume" for reasons I'll explain below. The name, juice and bottle would indicate that it would smell innocent and girly, but it is anything but that.

When I first encountered Angel, I sprayed it on a test strip and immediately recoiled in disgust, scrunching my nose after smelling it and declared it as completely vile. Why would anyone tamper with the perfectly delicious gourmand notes and come up with this heavy and dark monster?! Angel's nuclear sillage and lasting power didn't help either as I had thrown the test strip into my bag and had stunk up my whole purse even after removing it two weeks later. However a few years later, I decided to give it another chance since it was the originator of the gourmand trend in perfumes (which I love). Just to preface, test strips or smelling from the cap ARE NOT a good way to gauge whether you like a fragrance or not. Skin and body chemistry should be the definitive factor and needless to say, Angel is a perfume that definitively thrives on the skin.

BUT, if you do not like patchouli, especially in heavy doses, stay away. Angel's musty patchouli is the star of the perfume, no pun intended. No, this is not the clean patchouli in the ever-so-popular Angel children nowadays, such as Flowerbomb, Jimmy Choo and LVEB. If you liked any of the aforementioned fragrances, please be aware that Angel is a completely different animal despite being the originator of the gourmand fruitchouli genre. It's got a dirty and mossy quality to it, which definitely gives a masculine vibe to it. I've always been confused as to why so many guys were using this or in addition to A*Men in their collection, but I totally get it now. Angel, despite the marketing campaign and packaging, smells very unisex. The sweet, carnal cotton candy is balanced by the dirty patchouli.

Here is when things get a bit tricky. Admittedly, even though I love Angel (it's in my top 5), the top notes in this aren't enjoyable to my nose. It smells like a used baby diaper that's been drenched in honey and left in the sun for 12 hours to "ferment" at first, but thankfully it dissipates in a few minutes. The extensively long and quite complicated potpourri of notes in Angel will translate differently on the skin for every individual. Angel is a temperamental little thing, dependent on body chemistry--as some say, "you don't choose Angel. Angel chooses you". Some people get metallic, BO vibes, and rank skanky stripper, etc. However on me, it is ABSOLUTE HEAVEN. The vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and cotton candy are quite prominent at the heart and base of the perfume, giving it a dazzling effect. On me, there's a very nice creaminess to it, more like caramel flan versus creme brulee, which is intoxicatingly addictive. The sweetness is in perfect harmony and smells deliciously edible. It's not sticky sweet at all, as the dark chocolate facets of patchouli helps to cut it. In between the heart and base notes, it actually smells EXACTLY like the richest, most decadent vanilla ice cream (with real vanilla bean specks!) on my skin. Wow. The dessert and vanilla in this gives a very warm and sweet smell, but there is an odd aura of 'coolness' to it that is also present in Lolita Lempicka! Very sensual at the same time. In the base notes it waxes and wanes from creamy vanilla musk (but certainly not at all pale in the slightest) to spiced, delicious cotton candy. This exact smell was the one I wanted to get from Aquolina Pink Sugar, but didn't.

Angel is definitely one of my most favourite perfumes of all time. Love it or hate it, but it won't change the fact that it was completely innovative. Angel is powerful; she is a dominatrix that will force you to submit to her will before she reaches out with her radioactive blue-clawed nails and she makes nice with you. It's not hard to see why so many other perfume houses have done their own "version" of Angel. Even though I've mentioned earlier that Angel straddles the line between feminine and masculine, I feel like the ultimate femme fatale when I wear this.

To end this review, I have a small but interesting anecdote about Angel. I was wearing this when I went to a house party with a male friend of mine and as we sat down, one of the guys looks over at him and tells him, "I like the cologne you're wearing today bro". He clearly was not wearing any cologne (and even if he did, it probably would not have been as strong as this fallen Angel) so the comment was clearly directed to MY perfume so needless to say fellas, wear Angel to your heart's content.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Top Notes: melon, coconut, mandarin orange, cassia, jasmine, bergamot, cotton candy

Middle Notes: honey, apricot, blackberry, plum, orchid, peach, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, red berries, rose

Base Notes: tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel

This perfume is so divisive that I'm afraid to wear it out of the house! I think it's just like Tabu in the sense that people don't realize how strong the sillage is, nor do they realize how the frag comes across to other people.

I think this might be one of those perfumes that you should spritz in the air and walk through, otherwise it might be headache and sneeze inducing to those with allergies or sensitivities.

Anyway, on to the perfume itself. It's the MOTHER of all gourmands. The first of its kind. The flagship that paved the way for all those gorgeous gourmands that so many of us are addicted to.

Even if you think you might hate Angel, I still recommend trying it, even if it's only so you could say you smelled the very first gourmand.

Thierry Mugler is a mad genius. It had never occurred to anyone else to make anything like this before. So cool. His other perfume, Alien, is just as unique. I recommend trying that one as well.

on 6/29/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my absolute favorite perfume! I smelled the men's one on my friend, and was blown away, so I immediately bought the ladies' version for myself. It is heavy, musky, patchouli infused, extremely sensual. It's like sex in the bottle! If you like floral or fruity smells then this baby is not for you. You gotta have a large presence to wear this. It's not for shy or faint hearted people. You gonna turn heads as you walk by.

on 6/7/2016 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Yes I am likely to buy it again despite I gave a low rating. I like that it smells different, statement-like. The problem I have with it are the lasting power and sillage. I've put 3 spritz because of the reviews. It smelled nice first few hours. Now, 6 h of wearing it I cannot detect it at all.
I bought it in Spain, at duty free, the 75 ml bottle, EDP, in case that makes a difference (bought in May 2016).
I have the same problem with Mugler's Alien, but not with Angel Muse.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Awful! Migraine in a bottle, waaaay too heavy!

I was given Angel shower gel and lotion for Christmas from my hubby. First of all he knows my fave is Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche....but the sales assoc at Shoppers Drug Mart lead him astray. I suspect they don't carry Chanel because she told him it has been "discontinued" (ahem...if he'd gone to the Bay as I told him to do they have it) and he asked her to select something similar.

Well I think Angel is about as opposite from Chance Eau Fraiche as is possible to be. I hate it.

My take on Angel is that it is sickening sweet, cloying and just not a well balanced fragrance. I used to enjoy heavier oriental fragrances years ago(70's-80's) such as Bal a Versailles, Youth Dew, Shalimar but Angel has none of their class.

I am taking methotrexate for RA and it has affected my sense of smell and some stuff just nauseates me, Angel falls in that category.

Luckily my sister loves Angel and her birthday is in February. For myself I will hightail it to the Bay and get my beloved Eau Fraiche shower gel.

on 11/16/2015 9:58:00 PM

I pretty much love this perfume ❤️. I first smell this in England and then in my country several times and allways asked the women wearing this what was that amazing and strong smell, the answer every time was Angel by Thierry Mugler. I am now in my second bottle and wishing I could buy another one soon.
If you or the one you love, don't like strong smells jus DONT buy this. If you love to stand out and to be remembered, this is for you.

Popular Fragrances