Thierry Mugler Angel

Filtered by hair type : Other
Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.1

Intoxicatingly, wonderfully weird. After 24 years, Angel has inspired hundreds of other fragrances--yet it's still in a class by itself. If I had to pick a signature perfume at this point in my life, Angel would be it: fearless, confident, original, beautiful teetering on the edge of ugly (which only makes it more beautiful).

Angel smells like candied, mentholated armpits and potting soil-- yet somehow it all comes together to make heaven. That's the magic and the genius of Angel. It makes me deliriously happy to wear it. But I understand why some hate it and probably don't appreciate my sillage trail. This is not a fragrance for the shy.

Several FYIs:

1) By comparison to scents like Fantasy, La Vie Est Belle, and Pink Sugar, Angel is NOT sweet. Don't blind buy it if you're expecting an uncomplicated gourmand scent. Angel pioneered the use of foody dessert notes, and is frequently described as the mother of gourmand scents. However, it has an enormous amount of patchouli in it and to my nose, the patchouli and herbal notes dominate over the sweet ones.

2) The blue juice for which Angel is famous is unfortunately quite prone to oxidation. This is why the juice tends to turn gray, green, or yellow-brown (in that order) over time. Please don't let that scare you off from buying a used bottle off eBay or from using a discolored bottle you own. The fragrance itself is NOT affected by this process (although if the juice is actually a dark brown, the product is pretty old).

3) The Instyle fake version sold at Walgreens is a pretty good dupe though lacking the complexity of the original. It's still quite yummy and maybe more appropriate for summer/workplace use.

on 9/1/2016 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this fragrance and have loved it from the beginning! Having always loved what they call "oriental" type fragrances like Opium, Shalimar, and the original Estee Lauder Cinnabar, this was quite a departure for me. I virtually wear no other fragrances, and I have gotten more compliments on it than I can begin to count!

Believe it or not, I only first heard of Angel's existence a couple of years ago despite that it has been around since 1992! I began reading reviews of Angel soon afterward. The reviews were polarising to say the least. It seemed reviewers either loved or hated Angel with little in between. Everyone did agree that the patchouli note in Angel was the most prominent of all, and many reviewers described it as the smell of body odour, which needless to say was a bit off putting. As I am not a great lover of patchouli, that fact alone rather frightened me away for a long, long time. However, I continued to hear Angel mentioned a lot, and I continued to read the newest reviews, and more and more I began to think I should at least try it, but I never seemed to do so.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I was at the chemist's shop and saw a dupe of Angel. I thought I might at least try the dupe whilst I was there, and so I generously spritzed each arm, and to my surprise and delight, I liked it! The dupe was very good albeit I subsequently discovered that it is not as long lasting, and it does not have the same projection and sillage one finds in the real Angel. I then went to a department store and tested the real Angel EdP on my skin, and once the top notes settled down, I liked it. Angel's top notes do have a certain "bug spray" quality to them according to my nose, but then again, my nose is not very well tutored, so this observation should not be taken too literally. My nose may be the blame instead of Angel being the blame for my perceived "bug spray" smell.

The patchouli is definitely the most dominant and the most persistent note to my nose. I have read that the patchouli is as strong as it is in order to counteract all of the very sweet notes such as chocolate, caramel, candy floss, sweet flowers and sweet fruits. Aside from the patchouli and perhaps the dark chocolate, I was unable to pick out many of the other individual notes. All I knew was that given a bit of time, Angel dried down to a quite pleasant albeit a very unusual fragrance. I found the dry down slightly sweet but not nearly as sweet as some reviewers have claimed it to be. The projection, sillage, and longevity all turned out to be pretty good, too. I ended up purchasing the EdP and the body creme with no regrets whatsoever.

I think Angel will work well in cool weather, but I am not as sure about hot weather. Since the dupe was so good, and since it is not as strong, I decided to purchase it for the warm weather months instead of Angel EdT which by most accounts is a more masculine scent and only vaguely reminiscent of Angel EdP. The Walgreens's dupe will have to be reapplied every three or four hours, but at $6 a bottle (on sale), I do not see that as a problem at all. I cannot tell you that you will love Angel or hate Angel. All I can do is recommend that you try it on your skin a few times to give it a chance. Like myself, you may find that you quite like it, and it may end up a nice and very unique addition to your collection. One thing is certain, and that is that Angel is unlike anything else you have probably ever smelt before.

Although I cannot pick out all of Angel's notes, I list them here for your review:

Top Notes: Melon, Coconut, Mandarin Orange, Cassia, Jasmine, Bergmot, and Cotton Candy. (I do not distinguish any of these top notes by the way.)

Heart Notes: Honey, Apricot, Blackberry, Plum, Orchid, Peach, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Red Berries, and Rose.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, and Caramel.

I pick up more of the base notes than any others, particularly patchouli, a bit of dark chocolate, vanilla, musk, and amber. I cannot distinguish any caramel in Angel unfortunately as I like caramel.

I hope this review will help its readers to decide whether or not they wish to try Angel. If you do try it, keep an open mind about it, and try it more than one time in more than one type of weather. It is not the "average" parfum of any known category although it is labelled "Oriental Vanilla" It unlike any other Oriental Vanilla I have ever smelt, though. In fact, I would venture to say that it is in a category all by itself.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Angel can be strong if over applied. I've been in the midst of some hot and sweaty ladies leaving after gym and reeking of over applied Angel. Yuck I think! rather wear something citrus after a workout please..
Angel on me is a nice warm jasmine that's been dampened by woody notes. I think Angel smells different on different people or in different climates.
My first reaction to Angel on 'the others' was to recoil back with immediate dislike, but on me it smells gorgeous, I'm so pleased that I made the effort to try, and to buy.
I actually could buy a refill next time, because I find this bottle is not easy to control the quantity of scent been applied and then I would pour it into another empty user friendly bottle.

on 11/6/2015 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm finishing up my second bottle of Angel. I'll probably buy it again. There are so many disappointing perfumes these days, especially because of the watered-down reformulations. Contrary to many others, I don't think Angel is a silage-monster, not on me anyway. But it still holds it's own and has a nice dry-down.

The last time I purchased Angel, I had my star filled up in the canister at Macy's. I wonder if those canisters are holding the same strength of perfume as in the new bottles, because it's about $25.00 cheaper to refill, than to buy a new star. Does anybody know about this?...thanks in advance for answering.

on 8/2/2015 8:17:00 PM

Angel - a polarizing and therefore a very interesting scent. A classic now .
Having read reviews of Angel , i find most people who are turned off by Angel .. dislike the strong green patchouli note at the start. in the EDP , it is a very pronounced patchouli opening .
I find Angel goes through 3 phases ( EDP )
1. The strident, greenish patchouli start
2.A cologne like - citrussy , light fruit middle
3. A candy gourmand sweetish dry down
Hang around for the dry down . I find the patchouli and the cologne like facets last about half an hour and the then the dry down will last forever.
One review said they found Angel mystical ...on the Sephora website. I can see that point of view because although Angel dries down to a clear gourmand... it is not the sticky gourmand of cheaper perfumes .It is smooth ,blended and almost like a sugary cloud of an aura. I guess the dry down of Angel and the essence of Angel ..is.... it is an aura. and in that sense., yes ,mystical and angelic.
Angels are unisex. They are tough , they are warriors but they are also heavenly and essentially good. I can really see how the perfume tries to show that with the bracing opening to the heavenly dry down . If you see / think of Angel in this way, you will understand its olfactory evolution.
I find Angel fascinating and I will continue to wear it.
Contrary to what i have read, Angel is NOT overly strong . It actually provides an excellent sillage. I find this to be lacking in so many reformulated and newer politically correct . fragrances post IFRA.
I wear Angel in defiance of the politically correct and the IFRA !!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the EDP. It was a gift from my husband .
Yes I now love Angel.

I was given a sample of this when I bought perfume for my Dad's birthday several years ago. I really liked how complex and multi-layered the scent is when I smelled it from the vial/bottle, but I was afraid of putting on too much so I just dabbed a teeny bit on my pulse points. My sister and mom complimented me when I wore this, but I found that as the day went on, how the scent mixed with my body chemistry somehow gave me a headache. Isn't it frustrating when other people love a certain scent on you but you cannot stand it on yourself? Sigh. Anyway, this scent reminds me a bit of Christmas, and I will always like smelling it off the bottle, but this just isn't for me.

on 2/23/2015 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Smells like sweaty armpits oh my god

on 1/22/2015 8:26:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I recently found my ancient! empty refillable bottle of Angel edp. I opened and smelled it. It still smells wonderful and very lovely. I am planning to buy a new bottle of Alien and after smelling and remembering how lovely Angel smells (after 10 years), I think I may add a refill bottle of Angel to my order. We, people of 21st century, are fast consummateurs, easily bored of everything, unfortunately underestimate the things from the past. I read some negative comments about Angel here (in fact, some of them were insults and were very rude in spite of the efforts for using reel politiques). What a pity!

To me, this smells almost like a Christmas tree. I used to hate this scent but I've learned to appreciate it. And I think it's complex and wonderful. It has patchouli and chocolate in it.

Popular Fragrances