Thierry Mugler Angel

Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.1

on 11/10/2017 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I've never used this perfume but my mum and sister does. The smell is a very sweet and strong (like very strong). I would def not purchase this, it makes people around you dizzy because of how strong the scent is. would never recommend anyone to buy this

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The (in)famous Thierry Mugler Angel... either you love it or you hate it. Now that I've finally procured a sample of this fragrance for myself, I can safely put myself in the latter camp once and for all. It's so bad that I've already dumped my overpriced sample vial in the trash.

Take a look at the chaotic mishmash of notes on Fragrantica or wherever and tell me that isn't a trainwreck of a fragrance. There's no rhyme or reason whatsoever. It looks like they just picked all the notes they thought sounded appealing and tossed them together. Citrus, berries, tropical fruits, flowers, patchouli, creamy gourmands, the whole gang's here. The problem is, your nose can't possibly pick out all the individual notes. Instead, what you're left with is a truly funky-smelling mixture. It's kind of like when you mix a bunch of different colors of paint together, the end result is not a pretty rainbow but rather a nasty grey.

Rancid corn tortilla. That's all I could smell throughout the entire duration. There's an undercurrent of patchouli and honey and all the other notes in the overwhelming list, but the tortilla of death is always in the front and center. Look - I understand that animalistic/sweaty notes can be amazing in perfumes, but they completely missed the mark here. Smelling like the back of a Mexican restaurant is not sexy.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've caught a whiff of Angel on any passerby for a very long time now. I remember this fragrance being all the rage in the early to mid 2000s. All I can do is pray that this never gets a resurgence.

on 10/8/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Let me start this review by saying that Angel deserves the reputation it gets. It's brash, loud, and dramatic; it follows the tradition in the perfume hall of fame as part of the ultimate power woman fragrances that were so ubiquitous pre-1990s, even though I could definitely see a man wear it without any problems. In fact, it is quite often referred to as a "drag queen perfume" for reasons I'll explain below. The name, juice and bottle would indicate that it would smell innocent and girly, but it is anything but that.

When I first encountered Angel, I sprayed it on a test strip and immediately recoiled in disgust, scrunching my nose after smelling it and declared it as completely vile. Why would anyone tamper with the perfectly delicious gourmand notes and come up with this heavy and dark monster?! Angel's nuclear sillage and lasting power didn't help either as I had thrown the test strip into my bag and had stunk up my whole purse even after removing it two weeks later. However a few years later, I decided to give it another chance since it was the originator of the gourmand trend in perfumes (which I love). Just to preface, test strips or smelling from the cap ARE NOT a good way to gauge whether you like a fragrance or not. Skin and body chemistry should be the definitive factor and needless to say, Angel is a perfume that definitively thrives on the skin.

BUT, if you do not like patchouli, especially in heavy doses, stay away. Angel's musty patchouli is the star of the perfume, no pun intended. No, this is not the clean patchouli in the ever-so-popular Angel children nowadays, such as Flowerbomb, Jimmy Choo and LVEB. If you liked any of the aforementioned fragrances, please be aware that Angel is a completely different animal despite being the originator of the gourmand fruitchouli genre. It's got a dirty and mossy quality to it, which definitely gives a masculine vibe to it. I've always been confused as to why so many guys were using this or in addition to A*Men in their collection, but I totally get it now. Angel, despite the marketing campaign and packaging, smells very unisex. The sweet, carnal cotton candy is balanced by the dirty patchouli.

Here is when things get a bit tricky. Admittedly, even though I love Angel (it's in my top 5), the top notes in this aren't enjoyable to my nose. It smells like a used baby diaper that's been drenched in honey and left in the sun for 12 hours to "ferment" at first, but thankfully it dissipates in a few minutes. The extensively long and quite complicated potpourri of notes in Angel will translate differently on the skin for every individual. Angel is a temperamental little thing, dependent on body chemistry--as some say, "you don't choose Angel. Angel chooses you". Some people get metallic, BO vibes, and rank skanky stripper, etc. However on me, it is ABSOLUTE HEAVEN. The vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and cotton candy are quite prominent at the heart and base of the perfume, giving it a dazzling effect. On me, there's a very nice creaminess to it, more like caramel flan versus creme brulee, which is intoxicatingly addictive. The sweetness is in perfect harmony and smells deliciously edible. It's not sticky sweet at all, as the dark chocolate facets of patchouli helps to cut it. In between the heart and base notes, it actually smells EXACTLY like the richest, most decadent vanilla ice cream (with real vanilla bean specks!) on my skin. Wow. The dessert and vanilla in this gives a very warm and sweet smell, but there is an odd aura of 'coolness' to it that is also present in Lolita Lempicka! Very sensual at the same time. In the base notes it waxes and wanes from creamy vanilla musk (but certainly not at all pale in the slightest) to spiced, delicious cotton candy. This exact smell was the one I wanted to get from Aquolina Pink Sugar, but didn't.

Angel is definitely one of my most favourite perfumes of all time. Love it or hate it, but it won't change the fact that it was completely innovative. Angel is powerful; she is a dominatrix that will force you to submit to her will before she reaches out with her radioactive blue-clawed nails and she makes nice with you. It's not hard to see why so many other perfume houses have done their own "version" of Angel. Even though I've mentioned earlier that Angel straddles the line between feminine and masculine, I feel like the ultimate femme fatale when I wear this.

To end this review, I have a small but interesting anecdote about Angel. I was wearing this when I went to a house party with a male friend of mine and as we sat down, one of the guys looks over at him and tells him, "I like the cologne you're wearing today bro". He clearly was not wearing any cologne (and even if he did, it probably would not have been as strong as this fallen Angel) so the comment was clearly directed to MY perfume so needless to say fellas, wear Angel to your heart's content.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Top Notes: melon, coconut, mandarin orange, cassia, jasmine, bergamot, cotton candy

Middle Notes: honey, apricot, blackberry, plum, orchid, peach, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, red berries, rose

Base Notes: tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel

This perfume is so divisive that I'm afraid to wear it out of the house! I think it's just like Tabu in the sense that people don't realize how strong the sillage is, nor do they realize how the frag comes across to other people.

I think this might be one of those perfumes that you should spritz in the air and walk through, otherwise it might be headache and sneeze inducing to those with allergies or sensitivities.

Anyway, on to the perfume itself. It's the MOTHER of all gourmands. The first of its kind. The flagship that paved the way for all those gorgeous gourmands that so many of us are addicted to.

Even if you think you might hate Angel, I still recommend trying it, even if it's only so you could say you smelled the very first gourmand.

Thierry Mugler is a mad genius. It had never occurred to anyone else to make anything like this before. So cool. His other perfume, Alien, is just as unique. I recommend trying that one as well.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Hate it! The smell is thick and heavy. Although it doesn't smell like the "Poison" perfume, it has that heaviness.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Staying power really is incredible.

I could smell it even after a bath and I hardly spritzed anything on me. I love the way it smells on others though. I ended up giving away the gratis I got every year, what a waste. I do love Wish by Chopard and I'm so in love with Britto by Romerio. This smells exactly like Angel minus the funky dry down. I've worn this for the past week and I've gotten so many compliments.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Awful! Migraine in a bottle, waaaay too heavy!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I am having problems with Angel as I can not smell a trace of it on my dry skin one hour after applying despite everyone commenting Angel is one of the most long-lasting parfums...

anyone with the same "non-longevity" situation??? Thanks

I would have never bought this parfum if I had not smelt it on a nurse when being in the hospital.

When I have applied it to my skin, the first impression was something horrible and strong. When I smelt it on the lady, it was something deep, fresh, mysterious, elegant....

I have given it a try and I started to use it and the strong smell is not there anymore. I have received several compliments from people saying that I smell delicious.

Give it a try but try to smell it before on someone else.

on 1/7/2016 5:41:00 PM

I was newly married when my sister introduced me to this beauty. I fell in love the first time I smelled this seductive, warm, inviting and addictive scent. Yes, I was a young married woman, but I fell head over heels, lustfully embracing her daily! She kissed the back of my neck, lovingly played in my long hair, stroked my wrists and caressed my chest in an intimate embrace (not at the same time, I think 2 or 3 sprays are quite enough and I do not believe in being doused in fragrance so much as to have your scent walk in the door before you do). It has been a torrid love affair! Despite having tried several other perfumes (and enjoyed many of them) I can't imagine being parted for long from this sexy girl! Her and I are not a secret, this is the one perfume I wear that consistently has BOTH men AND women asking me what I am wearing and complimenting me. I actually get stopped most frequently at the grocery store, even having people turn their carts around as they try to find who or what that delectable scent is! It am always happy to tell anyone. Especially young men who want to get this for their wife or girlfriend! I do not care if the world wants to revel in Angel, she certainly shouldn't belong only to me! I must say, she doesn't smell the same on everyone. On both my sister and I, she is something that I can only try and describe as a combination of incense, fresh Christmas trees, caramel vanilla with a touch of clove or spice. It is intoxicating on us, but I have smelled this on my friend who tried a sample of this while we were out shopping one day and she could not wait to get it off! And it just did not smell the same on her. Perhaps there really is something to be said about chemistry. Please do NOT try this on paper! This must warm up to properly reflect all the notes. I think it is nearly a crime to test perfumes in a price of paper that is cold and has nothing of your natural scent and chemistry on it! Test on your skin and I hope your affair begins! My husband still, nearly 20 years later, compliments me every time I wear this! It is a date night staple!

I love this perfume, I wear it almost everyday. The scent isnt for everyone though, it is a very musky strong perfume that WILL last all day. I smelled this perfume on another person a year ago and I had to have it. This perfume does smell like a sophisticated cologne with a female twist. Shoppers now has refillables at their stores for this perfume, which makes it cheaper. The only thing I do not like about the product is that it doesnt stand up, it lays flat.

Popular Fragrances