Thierry Mugler Angel

Filtered by skin type : Other
Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.5

Angel is very strong and one of those perfumes that literally smells different on everyone. I walked by a woman the other day in DSW and noticed how amazing she smelled. I was going to ask her what perfume she was wearing, and then realized it was Angel.
Also, I think a little goes a long way. Too much of this perfume is really too much.

Believe it or not, I only first heard of Angel's existence a couple of years ago despite that it has been around since 1992! I began reading reviews of Angel soon afterward. The reviews were polarising to say the least. It seemed reviewers either loved or hated Angel with little in between. Everyone did agree that the patchouli note in Angel was the most prominent of all, and many reviewers described it as the smell of body odour, which needless to say was a bit off putting. As I am not a great lover of patchouli, that fact alone rather frightened me away for a long, long time. However, I continued to hear Angel mentioned a lot, and I continued to read the newest reviews, and more and more I began to think I should at least try it, but I never seemed to do so.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I was at the chemist's shop and saw a dupe of Angel. I thought I might at least try the dupe whilst I was there, and so I generously spritzed each arm, and to my surprise and delight, I liked it! The dupe was very good albeit I subsequently discovered that it is not as long lasting, and it does not have the same projection and sillage one finds in the real Angel. I then went to a department store and tested the real Angel EdP on my skin, and once the top notes settled down, I liked it. Angel's top notes do have a certain "bug spray" quality to them according to my nose, but then again, my nose is not very well tutored, so this observation should not be taken too literally. My nose may be the blame instead of Angel being the blame for my perceived "bug spray" smell.

The patchouli is definitely the most dominant and the most persistent note to my nose. I have read that the patchouli is as strong as it is in order to counteract all of the very sweet notes such as chocolate, caramel, candy floss, sweet flowers and sweet fruits. Aside from the patchouli and perhaps the dark chocolate, I was unable to pick out many of the other individual notes. All I knew was that given a bit of time, Angel dried down to a quite pleasant albeit a very unusual fragrance. I found the dry down slightly sweet but not nearly as sweet as some reviewers have claimed it to be. The projection, sillage, and longevity all turned out to be pretty good, too. I ended up purchasing the EdP and the body creme with no regrets whatsoever.

I think Angel will work well in cool weather, but I am not as sure about hot weather. Since the dupe was so good, and since it is not as strong, I decided to purchase it for the warm weather months instead of Angel EdT which by most accounts is a more masculine scent and only vaguely reminiscent of Angel EdP. The Walgreens's dupe will have to be reapplied every three or four hours, but at $6 a bottle (on sale), I do not see that as a problem at all. I cannot tell you that you will love Angel or hate Angel. All I can do is recommend that you try it on your skin a few times to give it a chance. Like myself, you may find that you quite like it, and it may end up a nice and very unique addition to your collection. One thing is certain, and that is that Angel is unlike anything else you have probably ever smelt before.

Although I cannot pick out all of Angel's notes, I list them here for your review:

Top Notes: Melon, Coconut, Mandarin Orange, Cassia, Jasmine, Bergmot, and Cotton Candy. (I do not distinguish any of these top notes by the way.)

Heart Notes: Honey, Apricot, Blackberry, Plum, Orchid, Peach, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Red Berries, and Rose.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, and Caramel.

I pick up more of the base notes than any others, particularly patchouli, a bit of dark chocolate, vanilla, musk, and amber. I cannot distinguish any caramel in Angel unfortunately as I like caramel.

I hope this review will help its readers to decide whether or not they wish to try Angel. If you do try it, keep an open mind about it, and try it more than one time in more than one type of weather. It is not the "average" parfum of any known category although it is labelled "Oriental Vanilla" It unlike any other Oriental Vanilla I have ever smelt, though. In fact, I would venture to say that it is in a category all by itself.

on 12/15/2015 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really hate this fragrance. It is overpowering cloying and yet for some reason very popular. It is gag worthy rancid sweet. I must be honest thouth. A womsn that i absolutley loathe wears this and it reminds me of her

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Angel can be strong if over applied. I've been in the midst of some hot and sweaty ladies leaving after gym and reeking of over applied Angel. Yuck I think! rather wear something citrus after a workout please..
Angel on me is a nice warm jasmine that's been dampened by woody notes. I think Angel smells different on different people or in different climates.
My first reaction to Angel on 'the others' was to recoil back with immediate dislike, but on me it smells gorgeous, I'm so pleased that I made the effort to try, and to buy.
I actually could buy a refill next time, because I find this bottle is not easy to control the quantity of scent been applied and then I would pour it into another empty user friendly bottle.

on 5/11/2014 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE LOVE this perfume but what I do so I do not suffocate people, is that I spray it into little tubes I actually got from a lab with a screw cap top and I dab it on so only I can smell it. One spray of this perfume can be grounds for homicide. Opium and Lauder's Knowing are the same. However, a trick is that I bought the body lotion which has taken 5 years to go through and it seems to be much milder and cheaper. But ladies, in the name of humanity do not layer this scent. pleassssse

on 4/19/2014 9:46:00 PM

To the people who love this fragrance, please be aware that not everyone does. I smell it on women all the time. Women I know as well as strangers walking past me, on public transport or, god forbid, in elevators where it seems to linger for weeks after the wearer has left. I see lots of reviews state it works well with their body chemistry...hmmm, that's interesting as every woman I smell it on smells exactly the same - it surrounds them (and everyone within a 10 metre radius) with a migraine inducing, smack you in the face sickly sweet fug. A girl I went to school with wore this scent. The first time I smelt it, I was so shocked and horrified that I said, "wow! What perfume are you wearing?" She replied that it was Angel and asked me if I liked it. What could I say but, "yes it's lovely!" It's unfortunate as lots of people I know do this and it perpetuates the myth that everyone loves this smell on those that wear it when in reality it's the exact opposite. If you must wear it, please be aware that it's polarizing and that you will probably offend at least as many people as you delight (although I have yet to meet a person delighted by this fragrance when it passes you on the street). This isn't a personal fragrance, this is obnoxious and it invades everyone's territory. Harsh review? Yes, but after recovering from an Angel induced migraine, I feel it's more of a public service announcement.

on 7/21/2013 3:56:00 PM

I've usually found with department store perfumes, if I use them at all, I get through one bottle and that's it. I'm probably on my fourth of this. Gorgeous with a lingering patchouli-type base. I hadn't worn it for a while, but the last couple of times I did lately, was complemented by a friend and a stranger. A rich, powdery type oriental scent.

on 10/21/2012 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Since it's Release in 1992 Angel has been Revered Repeled Idolised Scroutinized Critizised for it's Synthtic Aesthetics
Angel Has to be the most Misunderstood Heroine of Perfumery, Is this all Doom and Gloom for Angel?' Perhaps
But Mr Mugler Doesn't go by Convention and Angel is his Dopelganger, A Perfume for People who think outside
the Box, The Notes of Angel is Beyond Complex It's more i can say an Epic Like the Odyssey or the Maharbharata
The Notes are like the pages of a Book that needs to be Discypher for Knowlege.
Angel opens with Patchouli adds a Brief Smoky touch A Tinge of Incense Finishes the Top, The Drydown
we get a Mixture of Pineapple and Orange In a Few Minutes Angel Turns in a Gormet Fantasy of Different
Layers Of Chocolate Dark to White Comes Steeping our Senses Like a Decadent Desert, Red Berries Adds the Juiciness of Angel, The Cotton Candy And the Pervasive note of Musk Is Like a mature version of Aqualina's
Pink Suger,
The Con is Unfortunally Angel Despite it's Complexity it's Just a Plathora Of Sweet Plastic.

on 5/9/2012 1:02:00 PM

Worst perfume I've smelled in my life, literally makes me dry barf. Old lady/sickly/too sweet smelling. Just nasty.

on 11/20/2011 7:44:00 PM

I absolutely adore Angel, but I use it sparingly, applying a small amount. It takes a minute to settle down but then I get the warmest most sensuous and delicious blend of honey, caramel with a slightly powdery/slightly earthy scent. It's just absolutely romantic and sexy. On some people this apparently smells horrendous - like any fragrance it varies based on body chemistry.

Popular Fragrances