Thierry Mugler Angel

3.2

on 11/22/2017 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Uhg, my Mom loves this stuff. I'm not familiar with scent notes, but this stuff is STRONG and not in a nice way. Really not a fan.

on 11/22/2017 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm an infamous mediator. I see both sides to everything, so this highly polarizing fragrance drew too much curiousity to pass up! Surely people were exaggerating, and it's not something you either LOVE or you HATE? The top selling fragrance in the world, surely the haters were just rebelling against the popularity of an otherwise decent perfume?

I braced myself, applied one spritz, and was hit with a strong bug spray, Christmas tree, and soap smell. I perserved. An hour in, the patchouli settles down and the honey, foody notes start peeking through. It stays like this till end on me. While people complain that this smells ''dirty'' to me it smells clean. Far too clean.

At no point did I feel angelic or beautiful. If anything, it is as if I was a very naughty girl who was punished for eating too many sweets by having my mouth washed out with soap. The soap with the bare trace of the sweets is exactly how this smells. Any temptation that the gourmand might provoke is dashed with the soapy notes, and not in a sexy teasing way, a very WRONG way. Like this is something that will kill you if you eat it. I absolutely agree with another reviewer that said that the combination of edible + inedible is nauseating. And not in the rude way, the actual stomach-turning way.

So there you have it. I wanted to like this or at the very least see the good and bad equally, but this is just... bad. I genuinely wish I could smell the beautiful sweet notes that everyone who loves it professes to smell. Oh well! I'm convinced that most people who love it had to acquire the taste. Considering I don't believe I've smelled this on anyone before in my life, at least rest assured that you will smell unique.

Angel either works with your body's natural chemistry or it doesn't. Happy to say that it smells divine when I use it. People have approached me in various stores repeatedly to ask what fragrance I was wearing.

Angel is one of my staples and I love bold, exotic fragrances like Serge Lutens Chergui and Bois et Musc. These fragrances seem to work with certain people and definitely not with others. I've smelt Angel on a friend or 2 along the way and to be honest, I thought it smelt awful.

I will NEVER stop wearing this fragrance and can't get enough of it it! The hair mist and body lotion complete the scent extravaganza when out on the town!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Angel is beautiful. I know a lot of people wear it, but it smells so lovely that I won't count its ubiquity against it. When I was working retail a lot of my customers wore it, and I could walk into the dressing room for hanger checks and still smell it, which always made me smile. Angel isn't for the feint of heart. You wear Angel when you want to be noticed. You wear it when you want people to sniff the air and say, "someone is wearing Angel." I love it on other people, and I even like it on my skin, but I do have to be careful to not over-apply it since my skin really amps it. When I am feeling extra-dramatic, Angel is the best scent to wear. I love the packaging too, the bottle is gorgeous (even though I don't particularly think the color of the juice or the shape of the bottle really meshes with the fragrance itself, but those are just my inherent biases talking.) I know a lot of people love to hate this fragrance, but I am in the equally important love to love it group.

on 6/5/2017 12:28:00 PM

I've worn this for years. I love the smell. It can be quite overpowering when first applied, but once it settles in, it gives a lovely musky, powdery smell. This works with my body chemistry better than any other perfume. There is a trick to applying this. With the spray, you have spray then walk into it. One spray only. This will give you a nice, soft fragrance that will last all day. If you do a couple sprays to your wrists and neck directly it will be too overwhelming and people around you will be pissed. I currently use the oil. One dab to my wrist then I rub other places. The oil lasts all day but tones down so not to offend people.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I had never heard of this perfume, but I got a sample of it in one of my subscription boxes years ago. Since then I have been infatuated with it! It's think it's one of those perfumes that you either love or you hate. I love it! It's a very specific scent and it's very potent. You really only need one or two sprays and this perfume will last you the whole day! I have gotten so many compliments when I'm wearing it. It is a bit expensive, but I honestly think it's worth it. This is a scent that can't be duplicated and it stands the test of time.

on 12/22/2016 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Really didn't appreciate the fragrance this had at all I found so strong and just odd in it's smell. I think where fragrance is concerned the beauty of it is in the ye of the beholder, some people love this I find a lot of strange smelling fragrances are well loved by a lot of other people but this one didn't do it for me.

on 12/3/2016 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

At first I was surprised about the low rating here, but then I realise that most reviews are either 1/5-2/5 or 5/5 - it seems it's pretty much impossible to be indifferent about this scent.

I got this as a sample (the EdP version) a year or so back, spritzed it at the inside of my wrist and pretty much recoiled. I remember wondering what the heck this perfume even was, and washing it off right away. That was probably my mistake - to me, this perfume definitely needs some time to mellow down on the skin, but once it has, it's stunning. It was when I was researching cruelty free perfumes that I stumbled across the name, and I figured out why the name was so familiar when I found the sample in my makeup drawer. I gave it a second chance, and fell head over heels for it this time around.

I'm pretty sure there's no other perfume that even comes close to this. I understand that not everyone will like it, but I've grown to love it. I've always been fond of sweet and floral scents before, but lately I've gotten tired of the headache-inducing floral bombs, so a perfume without any floral notes at all sounded particularly interesting. It's such a complex scent, big and bold, balanced yet full of contradictions and surprises. It is, by far, the sexiest scent that I've tried, and not for those who want something discreet.

I mentioned above that I found this while searching for a CF perfume. Turns out finding one wasn't the easiest thing. I've seen one or two sites stating that Mugler tests where required by law, but I also found the brand to be mentioned as an example of CF perfume enough times to at least feel comfortable that the brand has been known for being CF at some point - hopefully that still holds true. On their website they claim to only test on humans, but I haven't been able to find whether or not they're on the Chinese market. Before repurchasing, which I intend to do if I get confirmation of their CF status, I will get in touch with them regarding their presence (or hopefully lack thereof) on the Chinese market.

+ Such a unique perfume
+ A little goes a long way (can easily get overwhelming if you overdo it)
+ Lasts well throughout the day
+ Pretty bottle
+ Good nozzle on the bottle, creates a pretty fine mist which is certainly preferable with a perfume with such a big presence
+ Available in refillable bottles, which is great both environmentally, and for your wallet (though sadly I haven't found a retailer that deals with the refillable ones here in Sweden)

- The price isn't completely unreasonable for such a gourmand perfume, but it still stings a bit..

on 11/16/2016 3:35:00 PM

Angel is one of the most recognisable perfumes in existence (or so I thought!) I've moved tables, lit cigarettes and once even left a pub to avoid it. I have never, ever allowed it to come into contact with any part of me! Then this summer I got a lift to an evening event with a colleague. She smelt AMAZING. What is your perfume? I cried. I have never smelt this wondrous fragrance! She told me it was Angel, and I began to wonder. Then I was in the vicinity of a chap wearing Amen and found it delicious, and I wondered some more. Then I couldn't sleep and ended up buying decants of both Angel and Amen to try. I wore Amen first, and liked it very much indeed. I had a tentative spray of Angel and was wary - a bit, erm, urine-y to begin with. But the dry down...I wanted to eat my own arm. The next day I didn't pussyfoot around and went for three sprays (I like BIG fragrances, Boudoir, Opium, Black Orchid, Mitsouko, etc, but never apply more than three sprays). OH MY GODDDDDDDD HOW HAVE I NOT BEING WEARING THIS SINCE 1992?!?! Perhaps if I had been I wouldn't be divorced, because it would have lured my perfect man from wherever he's hiding and I'd have married him instead. I love it. This is what the madam in the Crimson Petal and the White would wear, it kind of smells like forbidden love in a Victorian drawing room. Full size bottle next pay day.

on 10/8/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Let me start this review by saying that Angel deserves the reputation it gets. It's brash, loud, and dramatic; it follows the tradition in the perfume hall of fame as part of the ultimate power woman fragrances that were so ubiquitous pre-1990s, even though I could definitely see a man wear it without any problems. In fact, it is quite often referred to as a "drag queen perfume" for reasons I'll explain below. The name, juice and bottle would indicate that it would smell innocent and girly, but it is anything but that.

When I first encountered Angel, I sprayed it on a test strip and immediately recoiled in disgust, scrunching my nose after smelling it and declared it as completely vile. Why would anyone tamper with the perfectly delicious gourmand notes and come up with this heavy and dark monster?! Angel's nuclear sillage and lasting power didn't help either as I had thrown the test strip into my bag and had stunk up my whole purse even after removing it two weeks later. However a few years later, I decided to give it another chance since it was the originator of the gourmand trend in perfumes (which I love). Just to preface, test strips or smelling from the cap ARE NOT a good way to gauge whether you like a fragrance or not. Skin and body chemistry should be the definitive factor and needless to say, Angel is a perfume that definitively thrives on the skin.

BUT, if you do not like patchouli, especially in heavy doses, stay away. Angel's musty patchouli is the star of the perfume, no pun intended. No, this is not the clean patchouli in the ever-so-popular Angel children nowadays, such as Flowerbomb, Jimmy Choo and LVEB. If you liked any of the aforementioned fragrances, please be aware that Angel is a completely different animal despite being the originator of the gourmand fruitchouli genre. It's got a dirty and mossy quality to it, which definitely gives a masculine vibe to it. I've always been confused as to why so many guys were using this or in addition to A*Men in their collection, but I totally get it now. Angel, despite the marketing campaign and packaging, smells very unisex. The sweet, carnal cotton candy is balanced by the dirty patchouli.

Here is when things get a bit tricky. Admittedly, even though I love Angel (it's in my top 5), the top notes in this aren't enjoyable to my nose. It smells like a used baby diaper that's been drenched in honey and left in the sun for 12 hours to "ferment" at first, but thankfully it dissipates in a few minutes. The extensively long and quite complicated potpourri of notes in Angel will translate differently on the skin for every individual. Angel is a temperamental little thing, dependent on body chemistry--as some say, "you don't choose Angel. Angel chooses you". Some people get metallic, BO vibes, and rank skanky stripper, etc. However on me, it is ABSOLUTE HEAVEN. The vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and cotton candy are quite prominent at the heart and base of the perfume, giving it a dazzling effect. On me, there's a very nice creaminess to it, more like caramel flan versus creme brulee, which is intoxicatingly addictive. The sweetness is in perfect harmony and smells deliciously edible. It's not sticky sweet at all, as the dark chocolate facets of patchouli helps to cut it. In between the heart and base notes, it actually smells EXACTLY like the richest, most decadent vanilla ice cream (with real vanilla bean specks!) on my skin. Wow. The dessert and vanilla in this gives a very warm and sweet smell, but there is an odd aura of 'coolness' to it that is also present in Lolita Lempicka! Very sensual at the same time. In the base notes it waxes and wanes from creamy vanilla musk (but certainly not at all pale in the slightest) to spiced, delicious cotton candy. This exact smell was the one I wanted to get from Aquolina Pink Sugar, but didn't.

Angel is definitely one of my most favourite perfumes of all time. Love it or hate it, but it won't change the fact that it was completely innovative. Angel is powerful; she is a dominatrix that will force you to submit to her will before she reaches out with her radioactive blue-clawed nails and she makes nice with you. It's not hard to see why so many other perfume houses have done their own "version" of Angel. Even though I've mentioned earlier that Angel straddles the line between feminine and masculine, I feel like the ultimate femme fatale when I wear this.

To end this review, I have a small but interesting anecdote about Angel. I was wearing this when I went to a house party with a male friend of mine and as we sat down, one of the guys looks over at him and tells him, "I like the cologne you're wearing today bro". He clearly was not wearing any cologne (and even if he did, it probably would not have been as strong as this fallen Angel) so the comment was clearly directed to MY perfume so needless to say fellas, wear Angel to your heart's content.

Popular Fragrances