Thierry Mugler Angel

Filtered by skin tone : Other
Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.3

Angel is very strong and one of those perfumes that literally smells different on everyone. I walked by a woman the other day in DSW and noticed how amazing she smelled. I was going to ask her what perfume she was wearing, and then realized it was Angel.
Also, I think a little goes a long way. Too much of this perfume is really too much.

Believe it or not, I only first heard of Angel's existence a couple of years ago despite that it has been around since 1992! I began reading reviews of Angel soon afterward. The reviews were polarising to say the least. It seemed reviewers either loved or hated Angel with little in between. Everyone did agree that the patchouli note in Angel was the most prominent of all, and many reviewers described it as the smell of body odour, which needless to say was a bit off putting. As I am not a great lover of patchouli, that fact alone rather frightened me away for a long, long time. However, I continued to hear Angel mentioned a lot, and I continued to read the newest reviews, and more and more I began to think I should at least try it, but I never seemed to do so.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I was at the chemist's shop and saw a dupe of Angel. I thought I might at least try the dupe whilst I was there, and so I generously spritzed each arm, and to my surprise and delight, I liked it! The dupe was very good albeit I subsequently discovered that it is not as long lasting, and it does not have the same projection and sillage one finds in the real Angel. I then went to a department store and tested the real Angel EdP on my skin, and once the top notes settled down, I liked it. Angel's top notes do have a certain "bug spray" quality to them according to my nose, but then again, my nose is not very well tutored, so this observation should not be taken too literally. My nose may be the blame instead of Angel being the blame for my perceived "bug spray" smell.

The patchouli is definitely the most dominant and the most persistent note to my nose. I have read that the patchouli is as strong as it is in order to counteract all of the very sweet notes such as chocolate, caramel, candy floss, sweet flowers and sweet fruits. Aside from the patchouli and perhaps the dark chocolate, I was unable to pick out many of the other individual notes. All I knew was that given a bit of time, Angel dried down to a quite pleasant albeit a very unusual fragrance. I found the dry down slightly sweet but not nearly as sweet as some reviewers have claimed it to be. The projection, sillage, and longevity all turned out to be pretty good, too. I ended up purchasing the EdP and the body creme with no regrets whatsoever.

I think Angel will work well in cool weather, but I am not as sure about hot weather. Since the dupe was so good, and since it is not as strong, I decided to purchase it for the warm weather months instead of Angel EdT which by most accounts is a more masculine scent and only vaguely reminiscent of Angel EdP. The Walgreens's dupe will have to be reapplied every three or four hours, but at $6 a bottle (on sale), I do not see that as a problem at all. I cannot tell you that you will love Angel or hate Angel. All I can do is recommend that you try it on your skin a few times to give it a chance. Like myself, you may find that you quite like it, and it may end up a nice and very unique addition to your collection. One thing is certain, and that is that Angel is unlike anything else you have probably ever smelt before.

Although I cannot pick out all of Angel's notes, I list them here for your review:

Top Notes: Melon, Coconut, Mandarin Orange, Cassia, Jasmine, Bergmot, and Cotton Candy. (I do not distinguish any of these top notes by the way.)

Heart Notes: Honey, Apricot, Blackberry, Plum, Orchid, Peach, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Red Berries, and Rose.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, and Caramel.

I pick up more of the base notes than any others, particularly patchouli, a bit of dark chocolate, vanilla, musk, and amber. I cannot distinguish any caramel in Angel unfortunately as I like caramel.

I hope this review will help its readers to decide whether or not they wish to try Angel. If you do try it, keep an open mind about it, and try it more than one time in more than one type of weather. It is not the "average" parfum of any known category although it is labelled "Oriental Vanilla" It unlike any other Oriental Vanilla I have ever smelt, though. In fact, I would venture to say that it is in a category all by itself.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Angel can be strong if over applied. I've been in the midst of some hot and sweaty ladies leaving after gym and reeking of over applied Angel. Yuck I think! rather wear something citrus after a workout please..
Angel on me is a nice warm jasmine that's been dampened by woody notes. I think Angel smells different on different people or in different climates.
My first reaction to Angel on 'the others' was to recoil back with immediate dislike, but on me it smells gorgeous, I'm so pleased that I made the effort to try, and to buy.
I actually could buy a refill next time, because I find this bottle is not easy to control the quantity of scent been applied and then I would pour it into another empty user friendly bottle.

on 4/19/2014 9:46:00 PM

To the people who love this fragrance, please be aware that not everyone does. I smell it on women all the time. Women I know as well as strangers walking past me, on public transport or, god forbid, in elevators where it seems to linger for weeks after the wearer has left. I see lots of reviews state it works well with their body chemistry...hmmm, that's interesting as every woman I smell it on smells exactly the same - it surrounds them (and everyone within a 10 metre radius) with a migraine inducing, smack you in the face sickly sweet fug. A girl I went to school with wore this scent. The first time I smelt it, I was so shocked and horrified that I said, "wow! What perfume are you wearing?" She replied that it was Angel and asked me if I liked it. What could I say but, "yes it's lovely!" It's unfortunate as lots of people I know do this and it perpetuates the myth that everyone loves this smell on those that wear it when in reality it's the exact opposite. If you must wear it, please be aware that it's polarizing and that you will probably offend at least as many people as you delight (although I have yet to meet a person delighted by this fragrance when it passes you on the street). This isn't a personal fragrance, this is obnoxious and it invades everyone's territory. Harsh review? Yes, but after recovering from an Angel induced migraine, I feel it's more of a public service announcement.

on 7/21/2013 3:56:00 PM

I've usually found with department store perfumes, if I use them at all, I get through one bottle and that's it. I'm probably on my fourth of this. Gorgeous with a lingering patchouli-type base. I hadn't worn it for a while, but the last couple of times I did lately, was complemented by a friend and a stranger. A rich, powdery type oriental scent.

on 3/16/2013 10:29:00 AM

Revolting top notes. Base notes are ok but not worth the wait. Honestly, to me this smells disgusting until a couple of hours after applied. I guess it's a love or hate thing. I hate it.

on 5/9/2012 1:02:00 PM

Worst perfume I've smelled in my life, literally makes me dry barf. Old lady/sickly/too sweet smelling. Just nasty.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

The only good thing about this fragrance is the packaging. Which is just as well because with a perfume like this one there is a lot that has to make up for this atrocious scent.
Its strong and overpowering, non of it in a good way. Its so harsh that my sinuses became inflamed from breathing in this perfume. I don't know what to do with the sample and the full bottle which Sephora gives for buying one of their samplers. I'm shocked that others would find this scent to be sweet; I have tried to discern that sweetness and haven't managed to get any of it. But then perfume is personal so this is just my opinion.
For the reviewer who mentioned that this smells like raid insect killer I agree with you 100percent!!!

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hands Down my Favorite go to for a night or winter scent. what people need to remember is that certain scents work differently with certain body chemistry. sweet or clean scents for instance disapper isntantly on me. angle however not only last, but warms perfect to my body chemistry. i get lots of complements from this fragrance.

I sprayed this on awhile back and HATED it... however, today I was at the mall with my daughter and she wanted me to put some on her arm (she's only 5... ) because it's called ANGEL. I reluctantly agreed and put a teeny, tiny spray on her. It was not great at first, but seriously, I couldn't stop smelling her arm! It was divine! I'm going to have to go back and actually try it on myself again and wear it around for a day. I can see why people love it...

Popular Fragrances