Thierry Mugler Angel

Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.2

Smells too strong. This fragrance is strong for summer time. İ used it in winter time.. İ was in public elevator (lift) a man who i dont know, asked me what is this smell on me. He said "please, i will buy a gift this parfum to my girlfriend :)))) so i thought, this fragrance effects other people im good way:)

Angel either works with your body's natural chemistry or it doesn't. Happy to say that it smells divine when I use it. People have approached me in various stores repeatedly to ask what fragrance I was wearing.

Angel is one of my staples and I love bold, exotic fragrances like Serge Lutens Chergui and Bois et Musc. These fragrances seem to work with certain people and definitely not with others. I've smelt Angel on a friend or 2 along the way and to be honest, I thought it smelt awful.

I will NEVER stop wearing this fragrance and can't get enough of it it! The hair mist and body lotion complete the scent extravaganza when out on the town!

on 6/5/2017 12:28:00 PM

I've worn this for years. I love the smell. It can be quite overpowering when first applied, but once it settles in, it gives a lovely musky, powdery smell. This works with my body chemistry better than any other perfume. There is a trick to applying this. With the spray, you have spray then walk into it. One spray only. This will give you a nice, soft fragrance that will last all day. If you do a couple sprays to your wrists and neck directly it will be too overwhelming and people around you will be pissed. I currently use the oil. One dab to my wrist then I rub other places. The oil lasts all day but tones down so not to offend people.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got the travel spray & putting all my pennies into the coffer layering my scent instead of getting alien I ordered the hair scenting spray. :-)
---
Original review: I'm sitting in the car waiting for my dad to get either the hair spray scent version or the travel spray at Macy's currently. I had the big blue star from cvs but it was a little musty I think it must've been sitting there an awful long while. I don't know if our cvs even has much in the way of designer perfumes anymore I never go in there but Kroger would make a killing w an endcap of little paris Hilton & Britney Spears our old Kroger had perfume! I got a dupe of this; lost it promptly (I have quite the dupe collex! More duped than real) so I reordered my dupe oil & I got it today & im like wth this smells so good! I didn't wear it in the 90s so here I am rebuying it in the authentic form after realizing I hadn't given her a proper chance w my cvs bottle that was real. This reeks of stripper heaven I must say I'm fascinated & oh my friend liked this i respect that individual very much. I wear it loud & proud. My dentist office even asked me not to wear perfume there. F that this is equal air opportunity (it was chanel Coco I believe that day! F#%&!) I just sneezed & now I can clearly smell my angel dupe all over the car. My poor daddy having to endure it my mom hates perfumes she says they "ALL smell like 'dirt'" her words exactly & my dad likes his polo green but I ordered him some super dupes for his bday so I'm hoping to change that. My mom says I should spend all of my money on "ONE 'good' perfume" rather than 20 dupes for which I've got a few real ones: chanel, Dior addict, GA Si, &.....3 shelves of Victoria's Secret & B&BW fare, my holder w all of my fakes in my bathroom & a few scattered about the house & then well there's my obsession w cheap musks (Jovan, bonne Bell, Coty, body fantasy, oils...) & celeb renditions of perfumes from Katy Perry to paris Hilton to Jessica Simpson so why yes my mother I am buying one really good fragrance ANGEL & next pay day ALIEN. I'll wear my angel without regrets coz life's just to f short. I bid you Tschuess & thanks for reading my rant! Ps: I ended up with the travel spray as they were OOS on the hair scent. This smells like xmas in Wien Weihnachtenmarkt fresh pines, spice cake, wassail punch... I've never been to Austria but I will someday #bucketlist
---
Til;dr #winning #downtowntriplecrown

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I had never heard of this perfume, but I got a sample of it in one of my subscription boxes years ago. Since then I have been infatuated with it! It's think it's one of those perfumes that you either love or you hate. I love it! It's a very specific scent and it's very potent. You really only need one or two sprays and this perfume will last you the whole day! I have gotten so many compliments when I'm wearing it. It is a bit expensive, but I honestly think it's worth it. This is a scent that can't be duplicated and it stands the test of time.

on 12/3/2016 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

At first I was surprised about the low rating here, but then I realise that most reviews are either 1/5-2/5 or 5/5 - it seems it's pretty much impossible to be indifferent about this scent.

I got this as a sample (the EdP version) a year or so back, spritzed it at the inside of my wrist and pretty much recoiled. I remember wondering what the heck this perfume even was, and washing it off right away. That was probably my mistake - to me, this perfume definitely needs some time to mellow down on the skin, but once it has, it's stunning. It was when I was researching cruelty free perfumes that I stumbled across the name, and I figured out why the name was so familiar when I found the sample in my makeup drawer. I gave it a second chance, and fell head over heels for it this time around.

I'm pretty sure there's no other perfume that even comes close to this. I understand that not everyone will like it, but I've grown to love it. I've always been fond of sweet and floral scents before, but lately I've gotten tired of the headache-inducing floral bombs, so a perfume without any floral notes at all sounded particularly interesting. It's such a complex scent, big and bold, balanced yet full of contradictions and surprises. It is, by far, the sexiest scent that I've tried, and not for those who want something discreet.

I mentioned above that I found this while searching for a CF perfume. Turns out finding one wasn't the easiest thing. I've seen one or two sites stating that Mugler tests where required by law, but I also found the brand to be mentioned as an example of CF perfume enough times to at least feel comfortable that the brand has been known for being CF at some point - hopefully that still holds true. On their website they claim to only test on humans, but I haven't been able to find whether or not they're on the Chinese market. Before repurchasing, which I intend to do if I get confirmation of their CF status, I will get in touch with them regarding their presence (or hopefully lack thereof) on the Chinese market.

+ Such a unique perfume
+ A little goes a long way (can easily get overwhelming if you overdo it)
+ Lasts well throughout the day
+ Pretty bottle
+ Good nozzle on the bottle, creates a pretty fine mist which is certainly preferable with a perfume with such a big presence
+ Available in refillable bottles, which is great both environmentally, and for your wallet (though sadly I haven't found a retailer that deals with the refillable ones here in Sweden)

- The price isn't completely unreasonable for such a gourmand perfume, but it still stings a bit..

on 11/16/2016 3:35:00 PM

Angel is one of the most recognisable perfumes in existence (or so I thought!) I've moved tables, lit cigarettes and once even left a pub to avoid it. I have never, ever allowed it to come into contact with any part of me! Then this summer I got a lift to an evening event with a colleague. She smelt AMAZING. What is your perfume? I cried. I have never smelt this wondrous fragrance! She told me it was Angel, and I began to wonder. Then I was in the vicinity of a chap wearing Amen and found it delicious, and I wondered some more. Then I couldn't sleep and ended up buying decants of both Angel and Amen to try. I wore Amen first, and liked it very much indeed. I had a tentative spray of Angel and was wary - a bit, erm, urine-y to begin with. But the dry down...I wanted to eat my own arm. The next day I didn't pussyfoot around and went for three sprays (I like BIG fragrances, Boudoir, Opium, Black Orchid, Mitsouko, etc, but never apply more than three sprays). OH MY GODDDDDDDD HOW HAVE I NOT BEING WEARING THIS SINCE 1992?!?! Perhaps if I had been I wouldn't be divorced, because it would have lured my perfect man from wherever he's hiding and I'd have married him instead. I love it. This is what the madam in the Crimson Petal and the White would wear, it kind of smells like forbidden love in a Victorian drawing room. Full size bottle next pay day.

on 10/8/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Let me start this review by saying that Angel deserves the reputation it gets. It's brash, loud, and dramatic; it follows the tradition in the perfume hall of fame as part of the ultimate power woman fragrances that were so ubiquitous pre-1990s, even though I could definitely see a man wear it without any problems. In fact, it is quite often referred to as a "drag queen perfume" for reasons I'll explain below. The name, juice and bottle would indicate that it would smell innocent and girly, but it is anything but that.

When I first encountered Angel, I sprayed it on a test strip and immediately recoiled in disgust, scrunching my nose after smelling it and declared it as completely vile. Why would anyone tamper with the perfectly delicious gourmand notes and come up with this heavy and dark monster?! Angel's nuclear sillage and lasting power didn't help either as I had thrown the test strip into my bag and had stunk up my whole purse even after removing it two weeks later. However a few years later, I decided to give it another chance since it was the originator of the gourmand trend in perfumes (which I love). Just to preface, test strips or smelling from the cap ARE NOT a good way to gauge whether you like a fragrance or not. Skin and body chemistry should be the definitive factor and needless to say, Angel is a perfume that definitively thrives on the skin.

BUT, if you do not like patchouli, especially in heavy doses, stay away. Angel's musty patchouli is the star of the perfume, no pun intended. No, this is not the clean patchouli in the ever-so-popular Angel children nowadays, such as Flowerbomb, Jimmy Choo and LVEB. If you liked any of the aforementioned fragrances, please be aware that Angel is a completely different animal despite being the originator of the gourmand fruitchouli genre. It's got a dirty and mossy quality to it, which definitely gives a masculine vibe to it. I've always been confused as to why so many guys were using this or in addition to A*Men in their collection, but I totally get it now. Angel, despite the marketing campaign and packaging, smells very unisex. The sweet, carnal cotton candy is balanced by the dirty patchouli.

Here is when things get a bit tricky. Admittedly, even though I love Angel (it's in my top 5), the top notes in this aren't enjoyable to my nose. It smells like a used baby diaper that's been drenched in honey and left in the sun for 12 hours to "ferment" at first, but thankfully it dissipates in a few minutes. The extensively long and quite complicated potpourri of notes in Angel will translate differently on the skin for every individual. Angel is a temperamental little thing, dependent on body chemistry--as some say, "you don't choose Angel. Angel chooses you". Some people get metallic, BO vibes, and rank skanky stripper, etc. However on me, it is ABSOLUTE HEAVEN. The vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and cotton candy are quite prominent at the heart and base of the perfume, giving it a dazzling effect. On me, there's a very nice creaminess to it, more like caramel flan versus creme brulee, which is intoxicatingly addictive. The sweetness is in perfect harmony and smells deliciously edible. It's not sticky sweet at all, as the dark chocolate facets of patchouli helps to cut it. In between the heart and base notes, it actually smells EXACTLY like the richest, most decadent vanilla ice cream (with real vanilla bean specks!) on my skin. Wow. The dessert and vanilla in this gives a very warm and sweet smell, but there is an odd aura of 'coolness' to it that is also present in Lolita Lempicka! Very sensual at the same time. In the base notes it waxes and wanes from creamy vanilla musk (but certainly not at all pale in the slightest) to spiced, delicious cotton candy. This exact smell was the one I wanted to get from Aquolina Pink Sugar, but didn't.

Angel is definitely one of my most favourite perfumes of all time. Love it or hate it, but it won't change the fact that it was completely innovative. Angel is powerful; she is a dominatrix that will force you to submit to her will before she reaches out with her radioactive blue-clawed nails and she makes nice with you. It's not hard to see why so many other perfume houses have done their own "version" of Angel. Even though I've mentioned earlier that Angel straddles the line between feminine and masculine, I feel like the ultimate femme fatale when I wear this.

To end this review, I have a small but interesting anecdote about Angel. I was wearing this when I went to a house party with a male friend of mine and as we sat down, one of the guys looks over at him and tells him, "I like the cologne you're wearing today bro". He clearly was not wearing any cologne (and even if he did, it probably would not have been as strong as this fallen Angel) so the comment was clearly directed to MY perfume so needless to say fellas, wear Angel to your heart's content.

Intoxicatingly, wonderfully weird. After 24 years, Angel has inspired hundreds of other fragrances--yet it's still in a class by itself. If I had to pick a signature perfume at this point in my life, Angel would be it: fearless, confident, original, beautiful teetering on the edge of ugly (which only makes it more beautiful).

Angel smells like candied, mentholated armpits and potting soil-- yet somehow it all comes together to make heaven. That's the magic and the genius of Angel. It makes me deliriously happy to wear it. But I understand why some hate it and probably don't appreciate my sillage trail. This is not a fragrance for the shy.

Several FYIs:

1) By comparison to scents like Fantasy, La Vie Est Belle, and Pink Sugar, Angel is NOT sweet. Don't blind buy it if you're expecting an uncomplicated gourmand scent. Angel pioneered the use of foody dessert notes, and is frequently described as the mother of gourmand scents. However, it has an enormous amount of patchouli in it and to my nose, the patchouli and herbal notes dominate over the sweet ones.

2) The blue juice for which Angel is famous is unfortunately quite prone to oxidation. This is why the juice tends to turn gray, green, or yellow-brown (in that order) over time. Please don't let that scare you off from buying a used bottle off eBay or from using a discolored bottle you own. The fragrance itself is NOT affected by this process (although if the juice is actually a dark brown, the product is pretty old).

3) The Instyle fake version sold at Walgreens is a pretty good dupe though lacking the complexity of the original. It's still quite yummy and maybe more appropriate for summer/workplace use.

on 9/1/2016 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this fragrance and have loved it from the beginning! Having always loved what they call "oriental" type fragrances like Opium, Shalimar, and the original Estee Lauder Cinnabar, this was quite a departure for me. I virtually wear no other fragrances, and I have gotten more compliments on it than I can begin to count!

Popular Fragrances