Thierry Mugler Angel

Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.3

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

If there were an intelligent species of alien who viewed us as mindless vermin, much as we view cockroaches, then the poisoned bait they'd strew across the planet in a desperate attempt to exterminate us would doubtless smell very much like Angel.

---

I don't much care for it when people talk about being nauseated by fragrances (unless they really do mean that it causes a literal physical reaction in them, like a migraine or an allergic response). Saying that something smells so bad that it makes you sick...it just seems a little tactless to me, you know? I mean, you're basically telling people who like and wear the fragrance that you think they smell gross. It's just not very polite.

So please understand that when I say that Angel turns my stomach, I am not using that phrase as a shorthand for claiming that I think it smells bad (or that you smell bad while wearing it). On the contrary, Angel smells...well, it smells both good *and* bad to me, both tasty and inedible, and that's the combination that causes all the trouble. It's that particular combination of edible/poisonous that triggers nausea in me, as if it causes some primal part of my lizard brain to wake up and start screaming in alarm. It's a combination that doesn't register so much as offensive or "icky" to me as it does as actively *dangerous,* because that combination of "Yummy...oh, no, but wait--" is the sign of food gone bad, a warning of incipient food poisoning. Or even worse, perhaps it's the smell of deliberate *bait.* It's the evil witch's gingerbread house, the sweetness down the gullet of the Venus Flytrap, the urban legend's Halloween apples with razor blades hidden inside of them. It's an Admiral Ackbar sort of thing: one whiff, and every nerve in my body starts screaming "No, don't go near it! It's a TRAAAAAAP!" It's tainted candy, poisoned honey, chocolate laced with arsenic. If there's amber here, then we are the flies.

Angel is to me what I imagine a delicious-looking wriggling worm with a barbed hook sticking through it might be to a sapient fish. Uhhh, yeah. You guys can have that one all to yourselves, thanks. I...I really wasn't hungry anyway.

on 5/10/2015 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Heavy, cloying, and headache-inducing. Good thing I didn't eat anything because I'd be upchucking right about now.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Angel is not ethereal or romantic to me.
It starts out pungent and musky, and turns thickly, sickly sweet after several minutes. Turns my stomach pretty bad, too.
It has incredible staying power, so it's too damn bad that I can't stand it. And the packaging is gorgeous. I love that you can get the little stand for the stars. Beautiful. But my cod, that smell just does not agree with me.

on 5/25/2013 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

AWFUL. I had a sample that I spritzed on my wrist. It smelled so obnoxious and gross that I spent five minutes scrubbing that wrist raw to get the smell off. Stay away from this scent!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Worst scent ever. Seriously nasty. It's incredibly overpowering and obnoxiously stinky. The odor made me nauseated and it was very difficult to wash it away. Even after showering and scrubbing with soap and a loofah, I could still smell the stink on my wrist. I'm shocked that some people actually like this hot mess.

on 3/15/2013 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tried this perfume the other day and i gotta say it was Evil on me, i cannot even describe the smell,My husband was even repelled by me, anyway i went straight home and washed it off, but did it wash off NO, it stuck to me like hell. Alien is my favorite perfume of all time and i so wanted to love Angel but on me its a NO NO.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This, to me, smells like the new OFF family mosquito spray...it's awful. The SA's in Dillard's sprayed this on blue ribbons and were handing them out it the store. I really didn't want a ribbon but my over willing but amazingly cute son grabbed the ribbon because...well he's four and someone had a ribbon so he took it lol! Anyways, when we got back to the car I almost couldn't stand to be in the car bc this scent was so strong and artificial smelling. I had to deal with it the whole way home until I couldn't sneak it away from my son :( I'm definitely on the "hate" end of the spectrum.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure what to add to the reviews below, because it does appear that it smells different on different people. Perhaps in my case it's because I already eat so much chocolate that the scent clashes with my body chemistry? It was bad when I first applied it (and I used just one little spritz) and it got worse as the day progressed. (As if maybe I hadn't showered in several days and tried to cover up the smell with old produce found in the trash...?) I couldn't wait to get home after work and scrub myself in the shower.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I took a spray of this on a little sample card in a department store, as well as spraying some on my wrists. I've been waiting 6 hours now for the gourmand notes to emerge but all I can smell is a strong, sharp, chemical smell. Where's the chocolate and vanilla? I swear it smells more like bug spray.

on 4/19/2012 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I got a sample yesterday with a Sephora shipment and I was so excited to try it. I know there are tons of women that love this perfume. I am a Flower Bomb addict! If you read those reviews it's the same, either you love it or you hate it. That said, Angel smells like I just sprayed a bottle of nasty body odor on myself. I could not believe how bad this smelled on me although someone I work with actually said I smelled good. LOL. It's so crazy how perfume smells different on people. The dry down was actually not that bad and the scent does last. There is nothing worse than a perfume that you can't smell on yourself...for me that is Light Blue and Vera Wang Love Struck. I can't smell these the minute after I spray them. I am going to try the sample again tomorrow just in case!

Popular Fragrances