Thierry Mugler Angel

Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.2

on 6/29/2018 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I never purchased this but have used it. I find the scent sickening. To make things worse, it lasts forever, even a little after bathing. It has pretty strong sillage, too. All this would be great if I liked the scent. Maybe, it is the patchouli that I find so offensive although I can tolerate patchouli in moderation. Everyone has different tastes in fragrances and many like this, apparently. My one try of Alien was much more favorable.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

The (in)famous Thierry Mugler Angel... either you love it or you hate it. Now that I've finally procured a sample of this fragrance for myself, I can safely put myself in the latter camp once and for all. It's so bad that I've already dumped my overpriced sample vial in the trash.

Take a look at the chaotic mishmash of notes on Fragrantica or wherever and tell me that isn't a trainwreck of a fragrance. There's no rhyme or reason whatsoever. It looks like they just picked all the notes they thought sounded appealing and tossed them together. Citrus, berries, tropical fruits, flowers, patchouli, creamy gourmands, the whole gang's here. The problem is, your nose can't possibly pick out all the individual notes. Instead, what you're left with is a truly funky-smelling mixture. It's kind of like when you mix a bunch of different colors of paint together, the end result is not a pretty rainbow but rather a nasty grey.

Rancid corn tortilla. That's all I could smell throughout the entire duration. There's an undercurrent of patchouli and honey and all the other notes in the overwhelming list, but the tortilla of death is always in the front and center. Look - I understand that animalistic/sweaty notes can be amazing in perfumes, but they completely missed the mark here. Smelling like the back of a Mexican restaurant is not sexy.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've caught a whiff of Angel on any passerby for a very long time now. I remember this fragrance being all the rage in the early to mid 2000s. All I can do is pray that this never gets a resurgence.

on 12/22/2016 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Really didn't appreciate the fragrance this had at all I found so strong and just odd in it's smell. I think where fragrance is concerned the beauty of it is in the ye of the beholder, some people love this I find a lot of strange smelling fragrances are well loved by a lot of other people but this one didn't do it for me.

on 8/29/2016 10:21:00 AM

Got it as a gift but I threw it away, I didn't even want to bother anyone else with this scent. People say it's a light an fresh scent but it's horrible and heavy. I can smell it from miles away and that's not a good sign. Will never buy and always avoid.

on 7/22/2016 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Horrible perfume , smells like men's after shave . Perfume gets worse throughout the day . Gave me the worst headache !

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Hate it! The smell is thick and heavy. Although it doesn't smell like the "Poison" perfume, it has that heaviness.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Awful! Migraine in a bottle, waaaay too heavy!

on 2/1/2016 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This smells terrible!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

If there were an intelligent species of alien who viewed us as mindless vermin, much as we view cockroaches, then the poisoned bait they'd strew across the planet in a desperate attempt to exterminate us would doubtless smell very much like Angel.

---

I don't much care for it when people talk about being nauseated by fragrances (unless they really do mean that it causes a literal physical reaction in them, like a migraine or an allergic response). Saying that something smells so bad that it makes you sick...it just seems a little tactless to me, you know? I mean, you're basically telling people who like and wear the fragrance that you think they smell gross. It's just not very polite.

So please understand that when I say that Angel turns my stomach, I am not using that phrase as a shorthand for claiming that I think it smells bad (or that you smell bad while wearing it). On the contrary, Angel smells...well, it smells both good *and* bad to me, both tasty and inedible, and that's the combination that causes all the trouble. It's that particular combination of edible/poisonous that triggers nausea in me, as if it causes some primal part of my lizard brain to wake up and start screaming in alarm. It's a combination that doesn't register so much as offensive or "icky" to me as it does as actively *dangerous,* because that combination of "Yummy...oh, no, but wait--" is the sign of food gone bad, a warning of incipient food poisoning. Or even worse, perhaps it's the smell of deliberate *bait.* It's the evil witch's gingerbread house, the sweetness down the gullet of the Venus Flytrap, the urban legend's Halloween apples with razor blades hidden inside of them. It's an Admiral Ackbar sort of thing: one whiff, and every nerve in my body starts screaming "No, don't go near it! It's a TRAAAAAAP!" It's tainted candy, poisoned honey, chocolate laced with arsenic. If there's amber here, then we are the flies.

Angel is to me what I imagine a delicious-looking wriggling worm with a barbed hook sticking through it might be to a sapient fish. Uhhh, yeah. You guys can have that one all to yourselves, thanks. I...I really wasn't hungry anyway.

on 11/13/2015 2:29:00 PM

Have used Clarins skin products for 30 years and enjoy with with great results. This Thierry Mugler Angel was a disaster for me. So glad I received it as a sample - big sample package of perfume, lotion and shower gel. I was sickened by the smell. All I could smell was armpit. After showering it off and sleeping the night, the scent remained the next day - all day. I was embarressed to be next to anyone. The price is outrageous and the stench wreaks of body odor.

Popular Fragrances