Thierry Mugler Angel

3.2

on 12/3/2016 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

At first I was surprised about the low rating here, but then I realise that most reviews are 1/2 or 5/5 - it seems it's pretty much impossible to be indifferent about this scent.

I got this as a sample (the EdP version) a year or so back, spritzed it at the inside of my wrist and pretty much recoiled. I remember wondering what the heck this perfume even was, and washing it off right away. That was probably my mistake - to me, this perfume definitely needs some time to mellow down on the skin, but once it has, it's stunning. It was when I was researching cruelty free perfumes that I stumbled across the name, and I figured out why the it as so familiar when I found the sample in my makeup drawer. I gave it a second chance, and fell head over heels for it this time around.

I'm pretty sure there's no other perfume that even comes close to this, and I understand that not everyone will like it, but I've grown to love it. I've always been fond of sweet and floral scents before, but lately I've gotten tired of the headache-inducing floral bombs, so a perfume without any floral notes at all sounded particularly interesting. It's such a complex scent, big and bold, balanced yet full of contradictions and surprises. It is, by far, the sexiest scent that I've tried, and not for those who want something discreet.

I mentioned above that I found this while searching for a CF perfume. Turns out finding one wasn't the easiest thing. I've seen one or two sites stating that Mugler tests where required by law, but I also found the brand to be mentioned as an example of CF perfume enough times to at least feel comfortable that the brand has been known for being CF at some point - hopefully that still holds true. On their website they claim to only test on humans, but I haven't been able to find whether or not they're on the Chinese market. Before repurchasing, which I intend to do if I get confirmation of their CF status, I will get in touch with them regarding their presence (or hopefully lack thereof) on the Chinese market.

+ Such a unique perfume
+ A little goes a long way (can easily get overwhelming if you overdo it)
+ Lasts well throughout the day
+ Pretty bottle
+ Good nozzle on the bottle, creates a pretty fine mist which is certainly preferable with a perfume with such a big presence
+ Available in refillable bottles, which is great both environmentally, and for your wallet (though sadly I haven't found a retailer that deals with the refillable ones here in Sweden)

- The price isn't completely unreasonable for such a gourmand perfume, but it still stings a bit..

on 11/16/2016 3:35:00 PM

Angel is one of the most recognisable perfumes in existence (or so I thought!) I've moved tables, lit cigarettes and once even left a pub to avoid it. I have never, ever allowed it to come into contact with any part of me! Then this summer I got a lift to an evening event with a colleague. She smelt AMAZING. What is your perfume? I cried. I have never smelt this wondrous fragrance! She told me it was Angel, and I began to wonder. Then I was in the vicinity of a chap wearing Amen and found it delicious, and I wondered some more. Then I couldn't sleep and ended up buying decants of both Angel and Amen to try. I wore Amen first, and liked it very much indeed. I had a tentative spray of Angel and was wary - a bit, erm, urine-y to begin with. But the dry down...I wanted to eat my own arm. The next day I didn't pussyfoot around and went for three sprays (I like BIG fragrances, Boudoir, Opium, Black Orchid, Mitsouko, etc, but never apply more than three sprays). OH MY GODDDDDDDD HOW HAVE I NOT BEING WEARING THIS SINCE 1992?!?! Perhaps if I had been I wouldn't be divorced, because it would have lured my perfect man from wherever he's hiding and I'd have married him instead. I love it. This is what the madam in the Crimson Petal and the White would wear, it kind of smells like forbidden love in a Victorian drawing room. Full size bottle next pay day.

To Read all 1865 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/8/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Let me start this review by saying that Angel deserves the reputation it gets. It's brash, loud, and dramatic; it follows the tradition in the perfume hall of fame as part of the ultimate power woman fragrances that were so ubiquitous pre-1990s, even though I could definitely see a man wear it without any problems. In fact, it is quite often referred to as a "drag queen perfume" for reasons I'll explain below. The name, juice and bottle would indicate that it would smell innocent and girly, but it is anything but that.

When I first encountered Angel, I sprayed it on a test strip and immediately recoiled in disgust, scrunching my nose after smelling it and declared it as completely vile. Why would anyone tamper with the perfectly delicious gourmand notes and come up with this heavy and dark monster?! Angel's nuclear sillage and lasting power didn't help either as I had thrown the test strip into my bag and had stunk up my whole purse even after removing it two weeks later. However a few years later, I decided to give it another chance since it was the originator of the gourmand trend in perfumes (which I love). Just to preface, test strips or smelling from the cap ARE NOT a good way to gauge whether you like a fragrance or not. Skin and body chemistry should be the definitive factor and needless to say, Angel is a perfume that definitively thrives on the skin.

BUT, if you do not like patchouli, especially in heavy doses, stay away. Angel's musty patchouli is the star of the perfume, no pun intended. No, this is not the clean patchouli in the ever-so-popular Angel children nowadays, such as Flowerbomb, Jimmy Choo and LVEB. If you liked any of the aforementioned fragrances, please be aware that Angel is a completely different animal despite being the originator of the gourmand fruitchouli genre. It's got a dirty and mossy quality to it, which definitely gives a masculine vibe to it. I've always been confused as to why so many guys were using this or in addition to A*Men in their collection, but I totally get it now. Angel, despite the marketing campaign and packaging, smells very unisex. The sweet, carnal cotton candy is balanced by the dirty patchouli.

Here is when things get a bit tricky. Admittedly, even though I love Angel (it's in my top 5), the top notes in this aren't enjoyable to my nose. It smells like a used baby diaper that's been drenched in honey and left in the sun for 12 hours to "ferment" at first, but thankfully it dissipates in a few minutes. The extensively long and quite complicated potpourri of notes in Angel will translate differently on the skin for every individual. Angel is a temperamental little thing, dependent on body chemistry--as some say, "you don't choose Angel. Angel chooses you". Some people get metallic, BO vibes, and rank skanky stripper, etc. However on me, it is ABSOLUTE HEAVEN. The vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and cotton candy are quite prominent at the heart and base of the perfume, giving it a dazzling effect. On me, there's a very nice creaminess to it, more like caramel flan versus creme brulee, which is intoxicatingly addictive. The sweetness is in perfect harmony and smells deliciously edible. It's not sticky sweet at all, as the dark chocolate facets of patchouli helps to cut it. In between the heart and base notes, it actually smells EXACTLY like the richest, most decadent vanilla ice cream (with real vanilla bean specks!) on my skin. Wow. The dessert and vanilla in this gives a very warm and sweet smell, but there is an odd aura of 'coolness' to it that is also present in Lolita Lempicka! Very sensual at the same time. In the base notes it waxes and wanes from creamy vanilla musk (but certainly not at all pale in the slightest) to spiced, delicious cotton candy. This exact smell was the one I wanted to get from Aquolina Pink Sugar, but didn't.

Angel is definitely one of my most favourite perfumes of all time. Love it or hate it, but it won't change the fact that it was completely innovative. Angel is powerful; she is a dominatrix that will force you to submit to her will before she reaches out with her radioactive blue-clawed nails and she makes nice with you. It's not hard to see why so many other perfume houses have done their own "version" of Angel. Even though I've mentioned earlier that Angel straddles the line between feminine and masculine, I feel like the ultimate femme fatale when I wear this.

I love the bottle and the designs of mugler products in general -but that's about it. I think Mugler is a marketing genius to convince people that this scent is amazing when it in fact smells like men's aftershave with an added sickly smell.
I have encountered people who have body chemistry with it that makes it smell nice on them, but for most of those I smell it on, and myself - it's gross. Not for me.

Intoxicatingly, wonderfully weird. After 24 years, Angel has inspired hundreds of other fragrances--yet it's still in a class by itself. If I had to pick a signature perfume at this point in my life, Angel would be it: fearless, confident, original, beautiful teetering on the edge of ugly (which only makes it more beautiful).

Angel smells like candied, mentholated armpits and potting soil-- yet somehow it all comes together to make heaven. That's the magic and the genius of Angel. It makes me deliriously happy to wear it. But I understand why some hate it and probably don't appreciate my sillage trail. This is not a fragrance for the shy.

on 9/1/2016 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this fragrance and have loved it from the beginning! Having always loved what they call "oriental" type fragrances like Opium, Shalimar, and the original Estee Lauder Cinnabar, this was quite a departure for me. I virtually wear no other fragrances, and I have gotten more compliments on it than I can begin to count!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my absolute favourite, and has been since I was about 5 years old, when my aunt used to wear it!!

A lot of people are scared of its very strong scent, but if like me you sweat off anything else within 20 minutes of application, then this is for you. The scent *will* get lighter quite quickly after spraying it on, leaving you eminently smell-able but not headache-inducing at all. The scent changes as it wears off too, and goes from musky to sweet and almost chocolate-y.

Honestly will be wearing this for the rest of my days. The fact that many beauty counters will refill your bottle for you, and that you can buy refill bottles to do it yourself, makes it all the more practical.

on 8/29/2016 10:21:00 AM

Got it as a gift but I threw it away, I didn't even want to bother anyone else with this scent. People say it's a light an fresh scent but it's horrible and heavy. I can smell it from miles away and that's not a good sign. Will never buy and always avoid.

on 7/22/2016 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Horrible perfume , smells like men's after shave . Perfume gets worse throughout the day . Gave me the worst headache !

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Top Notes: melon, coconut, mandarin orange, cassia, jasmine, bergamot, cotton candy

Middle Notes: honey, apricot, blackberry, plum, orchid, peach, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, red berries, rose

Base Notes: tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel

This perfume is so divisive that I'm afraid to wear it out of the house! I think it's just like Tabu in the sense that people don't realize how strong the sillage is, nor do they realize how the frag comes across to other people.

I think this might be one of those perfumes that you should spritz in the air and walk through, otherwise it might be headache and sneeze inducing to those with allergies or sensitivities.

Anyway, on to the perfume itself. It's the MOTHER of all gourmands. The first of its kind. The flagship that paved the way for all those gorgeous gourmands that so many of us are addicted to.

Even if you think you might hate Angel, I still recommend trying it, even if it's only so you could say you smelled the very first gourmand.

Thierry Mugler is a mad genius. It had never occurred to anyone else to make anything like this before. So cool. His other perfume, Alien, is just as unique. I recommend trying that one as well.

Popular Fragrances