Thierry Mugler Angel

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.4

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Angel is beautiful. I know a lot of people wear it, but it smells so lovely that I won't count its ubiquity against it. When I was working retail a lot of my customers wore it, and I could walk into the dressing room for hanger checks and still smell it, which always made me smile. Angel isn't for the feint of heart. You wear Angel when you want to be noticed. You wear it when you want people to sniff the air and say, "someone is wearing Angel." I love it on other people, and I even like it on my skin, but I do have to be careful to not over-apply it since my skin really amps it. When I am feeling extra-dramatic, Angel is the best scent to wear. I love the packaging too, the bottle is gorgeous (even though I don't particularly think the color of the juice or the shape of the bottle really meshes with the fragrance itself, but those are just my inherent biases talking.) I know a lot of people love to hate this fragrance, but I am in the equally important love to love it group.

on 9/1/2016 8:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this fragrance and have loved it from the beginning! Having always loved what they call "oriental" type fragrances like Opium, Shalimar, and the original Estee Lauder Cinnabar, this was quite a departure for me. I virtually wear no other fragrances, and I have gotten more compliments on it than I can begin to count!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Not my favorite but a decent product. I LOVE the packaging but smell is just so so

Believe it or not, I only first heard of Angel's existence a couple of years ago despite that it has been around since 1992! I began reading reviews of Angel soon afterward. The reviews were polarising to say the least. It seemed reviewers either loved or hated Angel with little in between. Everyone did agree that the patchouli note in Angel was the most prominent of all, and many reviewers described it as the smell of body odour, which needless to say was a bit off putting. As I am not a great lover of patchouli, that fact alone rather frightened me away for a long, long time. However, I continued to hear Angel mentioned a lot, and I continued to read the newest reviews, and more and more I began to think I should at least try it, but I never seemed to do so.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I was at the chemist's shop and saw a dupe of Angel. I thought I might at least try the dupe whilst I was there, and so I generously spritzed each arm, and to my surprise and delight, I liked it! The dupe was very good albeit I subsequently discovered that it is not as long lasting, and it does not have the same projection and sillage one finds in the real Angel. I then went to a department store and tested the real Angel EdP on my skin, and once the top notes settled down, I liked it. Angel's top notes do have a certain "bug spray" quality to them according to my nose, but then again, my nose is not very well tutored, so this observation should not be taken too literally. My nose may be the blame instead of Angel being the blame for my perceived "bug spray" smell.

The patchouli is definitely the most dominant and the most persistent note to my nose. I have read that the patchouli is as strong as it is in order to counteract all of the very sweet notes such as chocolate, caramel, candy floss, sweet flowers and sweet fruits. Aside from the patchouli and perhaps the dark chocolate, I was unable to pick out many of the other individual notes. All I knew was that given a bit of time, Angel dried down to a quite pleasant albeit a very unusual fragrance. I found the dry down slightly sweet but not nearly as sweet as some reviewers have claimed it to be. The projection, sillage, and longevity all turned out to be pretty good, too. I ended up purchasing the EdP and the body creme with no regrets whatsoever.

I think Angel will work well in cool weather, but I am not as sure about hot weather. Since the dupe was so good, and since it is not as strong, I decided to purchase it for the warm weather months instead of Angel EdT which by most accounts is a more masculine scent and only vaguely reminiscent of Angel EdP. The Walgreens's dupe will have to be reapplied every three or four hours, but at $6 a bottle (on sale), I do not see that as a problem at all. I cannot tell you that you will love Angel or hate Angel. All I can do is recommend that you try it on your skin a few times to give it a chance. Like myself, you may find that you quite like it, and it may end up a nice and very unique addition to your collection. One thing is certain, and that is that Angel is unlike anything else you have probably ever smelt before.

Although I cannot pick out all of Angel's notes, I list them here for your review:

Top Notes: Melon, Coconut, Mandarin Orange, Cassia, Jasmine, Bergmot, and Cotton Candy. (I do not distinguish any of these top notes by the way.)

Heart Notes: Honey, Apricot, Blackberry, Plum, Orchid, Peach, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Red Berries, and Rose.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, and Caramel.

I pick up more of the base notes than any others, particularly patchouli, a bit of dark chocolate, vanilla, musk, and amber. I cannot distinguish any caramel in Angel unfortunately as I like caramel.

I hope this review will help its readers to decide whether or not they wish to try Angel. If you do try it, keep an open mind about it, and try it more than one time in more than one type of weather. It is not the "average" parfum of any known category although it is labelled "Oriental Vanilla" It unlike any other Oriental Vanilla I have ever smelt, though. In fact, I would venture to say that it is in a category all by itself.

I was given Angel shower gel and lotion for Christmas from my hubby. First of all he knows my fave is Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche....but the sales assoc at Shoppers Drug Mart lead him astray. I suspect they don't carry Chanel because she told him it has been "discontinued" (ahem...if he'd gone to the Bay as I told him to do they have it) and he asked her to select something similar.

Well I think Angel is about as opposite from Chance Eau Fraiche as is possible to be. I hate it.

My take on Angel is that it is sickening sweet, cloying and just not a well balanced fragrance. I used to enjoy heavier oriental fragrances years ago(70's-80's) such as Bal a Versailles, Youth Dew, Shalimar but Angel has none of their class.

I am taking methotrexate for RA and it has affected my sense of smell and some stuff just nauseates me, Angel falls in that category.

Luckily my sister loves Angel and her birthday is in February. For myself I will hightail it to the Bay and get my beloved Eau Fraiche shower gel.

on 9/13/2015 4:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Until the day that God decides to take me to Heaven with him, I will be using Angel. I have always loved perfume and have some of the most expensive u can buy. Nothing compares to Angel. It is an uplifting, romantic and long-lasting smell. It is indescribably the best smelling perfume on the market. Woodsy, a little citrusy, a little sweet and a lot of magical presence. I just really cannot describe the smell. Men will run you down to find out what u r wearing. And when they catch you, they will just stand and breathe in your presence and smell. It is just one of those perfumes that is not strong, not heady, not over powering but just mesmerizing and long-lasting. If you purchase and like the perfume, you will be addicted to it as long as you live. This is my review of Angel and I wear nothing I do not love. To sum it up girls......If Angel was tripled in price, I would buy; if Angel was only sold in New York or Paris and not available to purchase online, I would be making the trip twice per year. I think u will love it too.

on 11/6/2014 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This is probably the most over-worn scent I know of! When it first came out, ages ago, I got it and adored it. It will enter the room before you do if you don't use it sparingly as it is very potent. Being that SO many women wore/wear this scent, I never repurchased my huge bottle of it. It's kind of like an oldie song that's been worn out on the radio..

This is my signature fragrance. I love, love it, and have found no other fragrance that comes close to Angel, and I have worn it for fifteen years. I switch off here and there with Alien edp and a few other fragrances, but I wear this one about five days out of the week. I go by compliments more than anything-that is what determines what fragrance is best for me. Now, a description of the scent: It starts out very strong, then the patchouli notes kick in after about ten minutes. The sweet notes of the peaches and plums are next, then after about an hour-the best part- the chocolate, caramel and vanilla-YUM! Angel drydown reminds me of cotton candy, vanilla ice cream and amusement parks(where I ALWAYS wear it, by the way, I have gotten compliments while waiting in lines for rides). I wear it in summer heat and bitterly cold days. I also own limited edition bottles and all the bath products. I make sure I always have a backup bottle so as not to run out!!!! The bottle is "out of this world" beautiful, especially the "glamour" bottle.

on 2/5/2014 7:59:00 PM

OMG! If this was the last fragrance on the face of the earth, I wouldn't come near it with a 10 foot pole! If this was the last fragrance on the face of the earth, I would use it to exterminate insects in a field of wheat or corn! Crop dusting, anyone? When Janet Jackson sang her song, "Nasty", she had to be singing about this stuff. My mom always told me that, "If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say it". Obviously I didn't listen to my mother. If I could rate this a MINUS TEN, I would.

on 11/17/2013 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

Just like a fine wine Angel gets better with time. I have been a fan for 21 years. I had tried all of the new fragrances as they came out and went back to Angel. This is my all time signature scent. Realize that body chemistry plays a big part on how a fragrance works with each person. Angel works well with me. I have people ask me what it is and they are always surprised. I don't think they have heard of it. They probably think it is something new and rare. It is an oldie but goodie. This is my all time favorite. Someone wrote that it would take a confident women to wear Angel, we'll call me that women. I love it..

Popular Fragrances