Thierry Mugler Angel

3.3

on 1/6/2017 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Perfume is a very personal experience thus difficult to review. I don't wear this but my bf does. When she sprays it lightly it's beautiful and definitely her signature scent. However if she puts too much on its so overpowering and cloying that it actually makes me heave! I have a very poor sense of smell so that shows how strong this stuff can be! I suppose I'm writing this to as a caution if you try it - it's definitely a less is more perfume.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

If there were an intelligent species of alien who viewed us as mindless vermin, much as we view cockroaches, then the poisoned bait they'd strew across the planet in a desperate attempt to exterminate us would doubtless smell very much like Angel.

---

I don't much care for it when people talk about being nauseated by fragrances (unless they really do mean that it causes a literal physical reaction in them, like a migraine or an allergic response). Saying that something smells so bad that it makes you sick...it just seems a little tactless to me, you know? I mean, you're basically telling people who like and wear the fragrance that you think they smell gross. It's just not very polite.

So please understand that when I say that Angel turns my stomach, I am not using that phrase as a shorthand for claiming that I think it smells bad (or that you smell bad while wearing it). On the contrary, Angel smells...well, it smells both good *and* bad to me, both tasty and inedible, and that's the combination that causes all the trouble. It's that particular combination of edible/poisonous that triggers nausea in me, as if it causes some primal part of my lizard brain to wake up and start screaming in alarm. It's a combination that doesn't register so much as offensive or "icky" to me as it does as actively *dangerous,* because that combination of "Yummy...oh, no, but wait--" is the sign of food gone bad, a warning of incipient food poisoning. Or even worse, perhaps it's the smell of deliberate *bait.* It's the evil witch's gingerbread house, the sweetness down the gullet of the Venus Flytrap, the urban legend's Halloween apples with razor blades hidden inside of them. It's an Admiral Ackbar sort of thing: one whiff, and every nerve in my body starts screaming "No, don't go near it! It's a TRAAAAAAP!" It's tainted candy, poisoned honey, chocolate laced with arsenic. If there's amber here, then we are the flies.

Angel is to me what I imagine a delicious-looking wriggling worm with a barbed hook sticking through it might be to a sapient fish. Uhhh, yeah. You guys can have that one all to yourselves, thanks. I...I really wasn't hungry anyway.

on 12/10/2012 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have been wearing Angel for fifteen years and receive nothing but compliments. A lot of people think it is too strong and over powering. It isnít, you just need to know how much to use. 2 small squirts and walk into it or one healthy squirt and walk into it. You also need to give it a little time to settle (about 30 - 45 minutes.) Get a sample from the fragrance counter and give it a tryÖit really is a beautiful. Sometimes, I will do 2 small squirts of Angel followed by a small squirt of Alien. (People, even strangers will ask me what I am wearing; I donít want to give away my secret so I make something upÖ)

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure what to add to the reviews below, because it does appear that it smells different on different people. Perhaps in my case it's because I already eat so much chocolate that the scent clashes with my body chemistry? It was bad when I first applied it (and I used just one little spritz) and it got worse as the day progressed. (As if maybe I hadn't showered in several days and tried to cover up the smell with old produce found in the trash...?) I couldn't wait to get home after work and scrub myself in the shower.

on 7/9/2011 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I gave Angel three stars because it is at once despicable and a masterpiece. It is a love it or hate it thing. STRONG and long lasting, cloyingly sweet with a masculine aftershave note interwoven. Very strange but compelling nonetheless. Sexy in a blatant kind of way. Sprayed lightly, I enjoy some of the middle stages. The drydown, however, smells very cheap. Definitely not for the office or closed quarters,

on 8/10/2010 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Angel is a phenomenal scent - totally one of a kind.. lasts through the day, turns heads and begs the star to be filled and re-filled at Angel source locations... Thierry you Rock!!!!

on 11/13/2008 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just bought Perfumes The Guide by Turin and Sanchez, and after reading Tania's review of Angel, I immediately drove down to Sephora last night to smell it. She gave it 5 stars (Masterpiece), but it was her reference to "rotting" and "mothballs" that made me so curious about it. Well, it is a VERY unique perfume...I totally get the "rotting" reference. In fact, to me, one of the strong top and middle notes reminds me of something putrifying. I KNEW that smell, but could not place my finger on it for some time. Then I remembered...that putrid, rotting smell is the odor of the female gingko tree. The gingko fruit stinks to high heaven and this is the scent I pick up in Angel. Once this note dies down (it takes a long time) the final smell is not so bad. I actually liked the way it smelled this morning. It is a mesmerizing scent - I compulsively sniffed at my wrist for several hours - but not a perfume I would ever inflict on anyone else.

on 4/8/2007 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I first bought this scent in 1995, and although I love to buy a new perfume at each new phase of my life to capture the moment in an olfactory way, I always come back to this one. To me it's a heady-heavenly mixture of pine, chocolate and rasperries. Sex in a bottle. But you must use a light touch.

on 11/8/2005 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm in the love this product camp. My husband bought it for me when it first came out and I've been wearing it every fall/winter since then. The chocolate vanilla scent is a little heavy for spring/summer. I always get compliments on this fragrance. On a trip to Las Vegas a few years ago my brother in law commented on how good I smelled when I told him what I was wearing he took his wife to the store at the airport where we were at the time & bought it for his wife. I like to layer it with the body lotion, which reminds me that I'm out. Time to restock for winter.

on 9/4/2004 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

My wonderful mother-in-law steered me to the perfume counter insisting I smell what she felt was the most wonderful fragrance of all time. When I got a whiff I nearly gagged! The smell has a weird, dry, stick in your throat-ness on first encounter and for me, it doesn't get better from there. I told the salesperson I'm allergic to perfumes, which is true, to keep her from spraying me. She told me that there is NO perfume in Angel, just natural fragance. I made her spray it on a paper and dumped it when no one was looking. I would never wear this but since I love my mother-in-law so much and she loves Angel, I bought her a bottle recently as a gift. Edit- 12/2005 My Mother-in-law forgot I gave this to her and had me smell it on her. It was a horrid powdery old lady smell. When she told me it was Angel I reminded her I didn't like it -what a polite understatement.

Popular Fragrances