Thierry Mugler Angel

Filtered by age: 44-55
Thierry Mugler  Angel

3.3

Angel either works with your body's natural chemistry or it doesn't. Happy to say that it smells divine when I use it. People have approached me in various stores repeatedly to ask what fragrance I was wearing.

Angel is one of my staples and I love bold, exotic fragrances like Serge Lutens Chergui and Bois et Musc. These fragrances seem to work with certain people and definitely not with others. I've smelt Angel on a friend or 2 along the way and to be honest, I thought it smelt awful.

I will NEVER stop wearing this fragrance and can't get enough of it it! The hair mist and body lotion complete the scent extravaganza when out on the town!

on 6/5/2017 12:28:00 PM

I've worn this for years. I love the smell. It can be quite overpowering when first applied, but once it settles in, it gives a lovely musky, powdery smell. This works with my body chemistry better than any other perfume. There is a trick to applying this. With the spray, you have spray then walk into it. One spray only. This will give you a nice, soft fragrance that will last all day. If you do a couple sprays to your wrists and neck directly it will be too overwhelming and people around you will be pissed. I currently use the oil. One dab to my wrist then I rub other places. The oil lasts all day but tones down so not to offend people.

on 1/6/2017 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Perfume is a very personal experience thus difficult to review. I don't wear this but my bf does. When she sprays it lightly it's beautiful and definitely her signature scent. However if she puts too much on its so overpowering and cloying that it actually makes me heave! I have a very poor sense of smell so that shows how strong this stuff can be! I suppose I'm writing this to as a caution if you try it - it's definitely a less is more perfume.

Intoxicatingly, wonderfully weird. After 24 years, Angel has inspired hundreds of other fragrances--yet it's still in a class by itself. If I had to pick a signature perfume at this point in my life, Angel would be it: fearless, confident, original, beautiful teetering on the edge of ugly (which only makes it more beautiful).

Angel smells like candied, mentholated armpits and potting soil-- yet somehow it all comes together to make heaven. That's the magic and the genius of Angel. It makes me deliriously happy to wear it. But I understand why some hate it and probably don't appreciate my sillage trail. This is not a fragrance for the shy.

Several FYIs:

1) By comparison to scents like Fantasy, La Vie Est Belle, and Pink Sugar, Angel is NOT sweet. Don't blind buy it if you're expecting an uncomplicated gourmand scent. Angel pioneered the use of foody dessert notes, and is frequently described as the mother of gourmand scents. However, it has an enormous amount of patchouli in it and to my nose, the patchouli and herbal notes dominate over the sweet ones.

2) The blue juice for which Angel is famous is unfortunately quite prone to oxidation. This is why the juice tends to turn gray, green, or yellow-brown (in that order) over time. Please don't let that scare you off from buying a used bottle off eBay or from using a discolored bottle you own. The fragrance itself is NOT affected by this process (although if the juice is actually a dark brown, the product is pretty old).

3) The Instyle fake version sold at Walgreens is a pretty good dupe though lacking the complexity of the original. It's still quite yummy and maybe more appropriate for summer/workplace use.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Hate it! The smell is thick and heavy. Although it doesn't smell like the "Poison" perfume, it has that heaviness.

on 12/15/2015 12:14:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really hate this fragrance. It is overpowering cloying and yet for some reason very popular. It is gag worthy rancid sweet. I must be honest thouth. A womsn that i absolutley loathe wears this and it reminds me of her

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

If there were an intelligent species of alien who viewed us as mindless vermin, much as we view cockroaches, then the poisoned bait they'd strew across the planet in a desperate attempt to exterminate us would doubtless smell very much like Angel.

---

I don't much care for it when people talk about being nauseated by fragrances (unless they really do mean that it causes a literal physical reaction in them, like a migraine or an allergic response). Saying that something smells so bad that it makes you sick...it just seems a little tactless to me, you know? I mean, you're basically telling people who like and wear the fragrance that you think they smell gross. It's just not very polite.

So please understand that when I say that Angel turns my stomach, I am not using that phrase as a shorthand for claiming that I think it smells bad (or that you smell bad while wearing it). On the contrary, Angel smells...well, it smells both good *and* bad to me, both tasty and inedible, and that's the combination that causes all the trouble. It's that particular combination of edible/poisonous that triggers nausea in me, as if it causes some primal part of my lizard brain to wake up and start screaming in alarm. It's a combination that doesn't register so much as offensive or "icky" to me as it does as actively *dangerous,* because that combination of "Yummy...oh, no, but wait--" is the sign of food gone bad, a warning of incipient food poisoning. Or even worse, perhaps it's the smell of deliberate *bait.* It's the evil witch's gingerbread house, the sweetness down the gullet of the Venus Flytrap, the urban legend's Halloween apples with razor blades hidden inside of them. It's an Admiral Ackbar sort of thing: one whiff, and every nerve in my body starts screaming "No, don't go near it! It's a TRAAAAAAP!" It's tainted candy, poisoned honey, chocolate laced with arsenic. If there's amber here, then we are the flies.

Angel is to me what I imagine a delicious-looking wriggling worm with a barbed hook sticking through it might be to a sapient fish. Uhhh, yeah. You guys can have that one all to yourselves, thanks. I...I really wasn't hungry anyway.

on 11/13/2015 2:29:00 PM

Have used Clarins skin products for 30 years and enjoy with with great results. This Thierry Mugler Angel was a disaster for me. So glad I received it as a sample - big sample package of perfume, lotion and shower gel. I was sickened by the smell. All I could smell was armpit. After showering it off and sleeping the night, the scent remained the next day - all day. I was embarressed to be next to anyone. The price is outrageous and the stench wreaks of body odor.

on 11/6/2015 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm finishing up my second bottle of Angel. I'll probably buy it again. There are so many disappointing perfumes these days, especially because of the watered-down reformulations. Contrary to many others, I don't think Angel is a silage-monster, not on me anyway. But it still holds it's own and has a nice dry-down.

The last time I purchased Angel, I had my star filled up in the canister at Macy's. I wonder if those canisters are holding the same strength of perfume as in the new bottles, because it's about $25.00 cheaper to refill, than to buy a new star. Does anybody know about this?...thanks in advance for answering.

on 10/31/2015 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

High priced funk in a bottle. I received a sample of Angel cream and thought it was intriguing so I ordered the perfume, lotion and shower gel. I sprayed the perfume and nearly became ill. It made me dizzy and smelled of underarms and hay. I waited and it dried down to something kind of like caramel but the hay odor was so prevalent. This was intentional as I read up on the ingredients. My husband said he was offended so I sent it back pronto. This is the weirdest scent I have smelled.

Popular Fragrances