NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream - Amsterdam

Soft Matte Lip Cream - AmsterdamSoft Matte Lip Cream - Amsterdam

on 9/12/2017 5:21:00 AM

Lip color:pure red.. like Mac Ruby woo
My skin tone for ref: NC35-37

Pros
Cheap
smells like candy right under my nose.. nice!
I could finish 1 tube in a month! Not much product in there
I do like the vacation themed SMLC names
nice light weight matte formula
Doe foot applicator is precise so you dont need a lip pencil
if you on a budget, go for this
so many shades to choose for every skin tone
packaging shows the lip color... makes it easy to shop

Cons
Feathers after 2 hours
doesnt last after meals

I mixed with nyx 'Dubai' and turned out a nice burgundy shade, perfect for fall! Lov2x

Highly recommend. Buy3x

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Pros:

Inexpensive
Rich color payoff (bright, true red)
Sweet smell dissipates quickly
Does not peel/crack as long as lips are moisturized
Wears off evenly
Pleasant mouse-like texture, even application
Cruelty-free
Can easily layer lip balm on top without smearing color

Cons:

Noticeable clumping on/near inner lip after 3-4 hours
Slightly drying after 2+ hours of wear

on 5/9/2017 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This colour is one of the most amazing reds I ever used. I am a NC30-35 for reference. However, as mentioned earlier on this page, the lip cream comes with an user guide. You really have to layer the lip cream, because when first applied, it does not really have colour pay off. Let it dry for five minutes after the first application and than add another layer. It is stunning!

on 4/26/2017 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I don't really wear red lip products. I don't even wear red clothes. But, I fell in love with NYX soft matte lip cream in Amsterdam. I am Asian, NC 30-35, yellow toned olive skin. I have deeply pigmented lips with cool undertones. But, because my skin is yellow toned, amsterdam's warm bright orange toned reds work.( I also bought Monte Carlo, a blue based red, in this formulation for reasons below) the stock photo above is not representational of amsterdam IRL.

On my combination skin, this is matte and I do need to apply sparingly over dry but moisturized and exfoliated lips. It lasts longer if I do not put on fresh coat of lip balm underneath. If I am careful to apply thin layers as per advice of one reviewer below and I blot and set in between layers, this lasts 3+ hours with some even wear akin to a matte stain. For additional staying powder, I have done a bit of primer or foundation underneath and a light veil of powder over tissue over this. When I removed this, my lips weren't dry. It's not a super obnoxious attention getting red. When applied this way, it's actually subtle for an orange red. This is not something I recommend touching up in public. If the idea of lip stain is okay with you, the easiest would be to run balm over it to soften the pigment after it's worn to a stain.

Since I like the formulation and can live with the scent, I also decided to try another red, more blue pink in tone, Monte Carlo. If a red can be natural, Amsterdam looks more natural, Monte Carlo looks more evening. But the MC swatch was more fushia on me than I wanted, so I apply a first thin coat of Amsterdam, blot and then apply a thin coat of Monte Carlo. I only do this for certain occasions. The doe applicator is fine to use if you scrape most of the product off, For the price, both are worth consideration.

I wore two thin layers of this product recently to an event. The lips lasted from 4pm -1130 pm in roughly the same condition through late afternoon activities, cocktails, dinner and and after dinner. By the end of the evening the color had worn evenly into a stain. No reapplication. No special care was taken, although I don't rub my lips on a napkin. There was no transfer of lip color onto my drinking glass.

Note: unlike the picture above, Amsterdam is an orange toned red IRL, not a pink one. If you want a pink red, try Monte Carlo. The reason why I layer them is because MC when swatched on my hand actually leaned towards the fushia spectrum which I didn't want.

on 2/10/2017 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

The colour pay off is amazing. Also how cute is the idea to name the lipcreams by cities?! I love the scent (it smells like candy!), the matt finish and the colour itself is beautiful, even though it is too bright for my taste - but this only a personal preference and doesn't say much about the product itself. But it fades so easily, if you drink a little bit the whole color flakes away. This is the reason why I won't buy any of the darker shades, because If I wear a dark/bright lipcolour I want it to stay for a long time on my lips. Still I will buy some of the lighter/nude shades (Athens,London) cause than I wouldn't mind that much to reapply them....

If you are some one who needs to apply lip balm throughout the day, DO NOT BUY THIS.
Although the pigment in the color offers a rich red which will earn you copious amounts of compliments..

Pros: handy little bottle with a brush applicator, making application less messy. Readily available at a drug store. Color is rich and doesn't fade easily. Smells delicious.

Cons : Not that cheap, has a drying effect that feels very mousse like but dries out the lips at the same time.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Gosh this is pretty! It's a cool cherry pink. I first saw a swatch on Pintrest paired with a plum lip liner (Jordana Plush Plum) and I just couldn't stop thinking about it! The first time I tried these lip creams I was horrified at how dry they were and took them all back. I guess time has gotten me adjusted to matte lips and I find this one to be quite lovely. Overall, a solid purchase for six bucks. Ya'll be sure to try it with the plum liner...it's great!

on 4/11/2016 6:45:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Amsterdam is one of the best lips creams (and I have nearly all of them).
It's an orangey red that looks great with my light, warm toned skin, and dark hair. I suggest putting this on in thin layers (I've seen people apply the lip creams with a ton of color at once and it doesn't work well) and let it dry with your lips apart before eating or drinking. Done this way, it goes on smoothly and lasts very well; it doesn't flake off or clump.

on 2/28/2016 12:23:00 AM

I tried this shade once at the department store.. I kinda like its color on my lips but not the red color as I've expected. It looked pinkish on me....

on 8/2/2015 6:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I think the problem that some of us have had is that we apply too much, as we would with a lip gloss or lipstick. But then it can look clumped or patchy and we just think it doesn't work. I experimented because I didn't want to throw it out because it was unusable. I found that if you dab it on and blot it a little, then fill it in again and blot it, it looks perfectly even and soft. And it feels so nice - not drying, not sticky. It is more trouble to put it on in this painstaking way but then it looks beautiful and lasts. I wouldn't use only this every day, obviously. There are far too many lip colours to just use one. But I really love this shade of matte red. One thing I learned is not to put gloss on it. That will just wipe it right off the minute you sip coffee or anything.

Update: not a fan anymore. Patchy, hard to apply.