MAC Prep + Prime Highlighter Pen (Radiant Rose)

4.7

I was researching on this product on MUA, but was disheartened to find only 10 reviewers at that time. BUT all 10 of them gave optimistic opinions about it so I decided to go ahead and purchase mine=] n I'm SO GLAD I went ahead to get it!!!! This magic wand is amazing!! comes off liquid but allowed enough time to blend and finishes off as a semi-liquid/powdery finish. Try to visualize it as a "better-than-powder" highlighter that comes out of a click pen applicator. The price, to me, was kinda expensive considering it's amount and size, that's why I gave it 4 lippies. And as for the packaging, it took quite awhile for the product to actually be seen coming out of the brush at the first click, but subsequently it was fine. I was trying to be careful with not clicking more than once at first try cos I read alot about some of the noctorious reviews regards to the click pen type of applicator (some dispenses way too little, others way TOO MUCH). The colour payoff is fantastic! Love the way the pink tone is not too pink nor too light, and it's juz right for my NC15 skin (for ref, I'm NC15 with MAC Studio Sculpt concealer and using Dior SkinForever Fusion wear foundation in 012 - Linen).

True enough, just like some of the other reviewers of this product said, I skipped concealer under my eyes after using Radiant Rose in it's place. This product helps to maintain my undereye areas crease-free and fine lines-free throughout the day (more than 8 hr of wear). I love the overall effect when I add a touch of this highlighter on the bridge of my nose, a little on my cupid's bow, and under the arch of my eyebrows. My entire look became more radiant, healthy-looking, while at the same time natural. Happy that the amount dispensed each time is in small adequate amounts as it's true to the saying of "a little goes a long way". For this product, the effect is better seen when you layer on a lil at a time instead of lapping alot at one shot - easier to control the brightness that you want as well.

Quoting the makeup guru I followed (gossmakeupartist): For undereyes, go BRIGHTER instead of LIGHTER.

Kudos to this highlighter!! <3 <3 <3

I'm obsessed and love a good highlighter that has peachy pink undertones as I use them as an under eye corrector. Originally I fell in love with the classic Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat No 1, but then found a budget friendly drugstore Maybelline's Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer in Radiant. When I heard MAC was adding their own version to the market, I had to try and went down to my local counter to purchase it. Radiant Rose works beautifully with my complexion, MAC NC15 or Matchmaster shade 1. The formula is creamy, silky, and blends easily into the skin. Sets without the need for powder and pairs beautifully with many of my fave concealers when used as an under eye corrector. Provides a good medium coverage for me and wears all day without fading, feeling or looking dry, and doesn't settle into those lovely fine lines and creases. Definitely brightens and illuminates without shimmer or glitter too.

Comparing MAC to Maybelline:
- Packaging - Both are packaged in a click style pen with an attached synthetic brush applicator. (I personally despise this packaging. I snip off the bristles with scissors for hygienic and comfort purposes and prefer using my own brushes or fingers for application/blending)
- Product amount - MAC 3.6ml/0.12 fl.oz with Maybelline 1.5ml/0.05fl.oz (and Yves Saint Laurent 2.5ml/0.1oz)
- Swatched side by side - MAC Radiant Rose is lighter and pinkier whereas Maybelline's Radiant is darker and more peachier.
- After - Maybelline when finished is tossed in the trash and MAC can be used towards their Back 2 MAC program

Personally I've converted and made the switch to MAC's Prep + Prime Highlighter Pen as it a wonderful product, great coverage, and meets my needs for an under eye corrector.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This is a must-have, every day staple in my makeup kit, and also a product that I use on almost everyone as a freelance makeup artist. This is a highlighting pen and is not meant to be used solely as a concealer. I use this to highlight areas of my face (above eyebrows, sides of nose, and in the triangle underneath the eye). This is perfect for that highlighted, sculpted contour look that is big right now. You'll notice that this product does not have a shiny consistency when it dries. This becomes a matte finish, but still has luminous particles. This also does not crease or cake in fine lines the way most highlighting pens do. It's also very affordable at $25, especially when compared to similar products by other high-end lines that are closer to $40.

My favorite way to use this pen is to clean up around the eye, after doing a smoky eye or using a dark shadow in general, and really carve out a shadow shape. This has quickly become one of my HG products, and I like the clickable pen. Like any product that is packaged that way, it's going to take quite a few clicks to get the product from the barrel of the pen into the brush, so don't let that put you off, as I'd noticed a few other reviewers had mentioned that. The yellow shade in this pen is also amazing.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this sooner, I use it every day without fail. This highlighter is AMAZING, I adore the consistency, what with it being a cream highlighter. I use it after I have finished applying all of my make up, straight from the pen, on my nose, upper lip and in between my brows, and on my chin. I blend it in with my fingers and it makes me look glowy and fresh. The colour is very light, and has a pink tone to it. Although I am more yellow toned, (nc30) I feel the pink tone still goes well with my skintone. The only thing is dislike about this product is the packaging, it is the same as the touché éclat pen, but it is impossible to tell how much product is left in it before it runs out. I recommend always having a back up. I just want to add that I don't use it as a cheek highlighter or under the eyes, the reason being is I use the cream colour base in the shade Shell for my cheekbones as it matches my blush well, and for under the eyes I prefer to use a peachy concealer to cancel out the brown/blue tones. I recommend the highlighter called Bright Forecast for under the eyes, it is a definite peach colour.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

SO I went to my Mac counter looking for a blush and a new concealer. The makeup artist took me straighter to the highlighter pen (mind you I was like what are you doing)...She put it on and OMG...I am in love!!! It is very natural and almost covers my dark circles alone. I will def be repurchasing this again. THANK YOU mac lady :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This has become a staple in my morning makeup routine by accident. A friend gave this to me because it was too light for her, and I now use it every single day. When I first used it, I was taken back by how well it covered dark areas. It's really great and lightweight for use at the corners of eyes, around the nose, around the lips, and above/below the brows. This wouldn't be my number one for use as an all around concealer, but it COULD work as one if you forget your normal concealer or if you're in a hurry. It does a pretty decent job to cover redness/blemishes as well as working to lightly conceal dark circles(and mine are pretty purple/dark).

I use this pen on my eyes too before applying shadow since it's so handy being a clickable pen. I'd probably give it a 3/5 on how well it works to keep eyeshadow on(I'm not sure how many uses this pen is supposed to have lol)

This is definitely a repurchase for me.

I like this highlighter, but like the Pro-Longwear concealer much better. This does a great job of brightening the under eye area, but can be drying and extra moisturizing is highly recommended. It's great to apply on the brow bone to give the illusion of lift. I've found the Pro-Longwear concealer stays put after applying and does a great job of concealing any dark spots. I might try the suggestion of mixing a little of the highlighter and NW20 concealer together.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

This is a great brightening/highlighter pen. It's very similiar to YSLs touché éclat, but I have to say I do prefer this. I applied macs radiant rose on my left undereye and YSLs touché éclat in #1 on the other undereye. Macs radiant rose definitley brightened my eyes more. And it's like half the price of YSLs. I will def continue to buy this as long as it's around

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love love love this. After purchase this kind of sat in my draw for a while as I wasn't exactly sure how to use it. It is NOT a concealer, and highlights only. Once I learned how to use it to its maximum highlighting potential, it became my go to 'big night out' product. I draw under my eyes, a stripe down my nose and then highlight my chin and forehead then leave it to cook on my skin for a minute or so. By this time it has melted into my skin and is ridiculously easy to blend in. It leaves the skin with a lovely photo finish glow and the colour tone is perfect form my cool pale skin (NC15). Every other Mac product I have tried has been overrated and poor value for money but This has lasted me a year and 5 months (only using in a weekend). I will most definitely be repurchasing.

Love love love this! It's perfect to use while contouring and highlighting those cheek bones and brow bones. It's opaque and stays matte all day long. I'm prone to acne and it hasn't irritated my skin or broken me out once. I know it's semi pricey, but let me just say that you get what you pay for! There is not one drugstore illuminator that even comes remotely close to the quality in this one!