Essie Sand Tropez

Sand TropezEssie Sand Tropez

4.1

on 12/19/2016 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I must be one of the few rare people who hate this color :-/ I've had it in my polish collection for a few years - but never wore it. I decided to give it a go this weekend, and took it off after a few hours. I don't understand why people are calling it the "perfect nude" - this isn't a natural nude color at ALL - unless your skin color is the color of a white/gray painted wall. I read the Essie website reviews - all raved the same thing, that it was a "perfect nude" - so when I started applying it - I thought it would be more pink/brown/sheer nude - like allure and the other natural sheers.

Uh, no. This polish is wayyyy too milky to be a nude, unless you are white like a sheet. After applying 2 coats, the coverage was great, but it looked like a gray/white/yellow mix on my nails - nothing like a natural nude (that should disappear/match with your skin tone). I think if it was more sheer - the color would be more "nude-like" but it's just too milky to me to pull as a "nude" on my skin. And I'm pale. I think I will save this color for the summer when I have a tan, or as a white basecoat for my more sheer colors (if I want more of a solid sheer white nail). It also leans more grey - so unless you are the color of a dead body - this is not a NUDE. After taking the color off - I applied chinchilly - and loved that gray-based color much more than this one, because it was just enough darker to look nice with my skintone. Sand Tropez just didn't work.

Plenty of other more natural nudes that I have and enjoy more than this color.

EDIT: 5/25/2017 - it's now nearing summer and my white pale-butt skin tone has some color/tan to it - like i mentioned above, this color looks much better on my skin tone personally, after it's had some sun. It applied really smoothly over Essie's Allure as a base coat, and I think Essie polishes don't like to play nice with other brand base coats - so I tend to stick to Essie's Allure as a base coat for all other Essie nail polishes (Allure on one coat is almost clear).

Modern Color with True Neutral Undertones

Beautiful greige that doesn't pull pink or yellow. This polish is what I hoped OPI Samoan Sand would be. Samoan Sand looked yellow and made my NC25 skin look sallow. Sand Tropez looks like cafe at lait with a dash of pale grey swirled in. It's definitely not a full grey polish, but I think the grey keeps the colour looking modern and avoids an excess of yellow that often doesn't suit pale skin.

Opaque in two coats and not streaky. Longevity of this color is comparable to OPI polishes. I had very minor tip wear after three days. I applied a third coat on day three with another layer of top coat (to cover the tip wear). I'm now on day five, and I could probably get another day or two of wear.

on 1/29/2016 4:52:00 PM

Great nude on my nc15 skin. Super easy to work with formular. Opaque in 2 coats. Lasted a week without any chipping with base and topcoat. Love it!

on 7/9/2015 7:08:00 PM

I love this nude colour suits my skin tone and I'm an NC30 in MAC foundations. I like the name for the OPI Dulce de Leche but that colour is all wrong for my skin tone. 2 coats with Sally Hansen strengthener as my base coat then topped off with Seche Vite and this lasted a week with minor chips. This is perfect for me because I can see myself getting bored after a week and will want to change it up. Most nail polishes last me about 4-5 days so this is great for me. I will definitely be re-purchasing this one again.

on 6/11/2015 9:00:00 PM

This is a strange color i call it "Griege. " Sometimes it looks good with my skin color other times not so much. Depends on the lighting.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I work an an ultra-conservative business setting, and this is my go-to polish. It is a perfect nude/beige/taupe colour that makes my nails look polished and clean. I agree with another reviewer who said it applies streaky, so I always wear two coats which takes care of that problem. I find it wears about average for a nail polish.

While I do find colours fun, this one does the trick when I want to look professional and classy.

on 1/25/2015 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

If possible, I would give this 3 1/2 stars. It's a nice neutral, a taupe that leans more towards beige. Formula is a little streaky, but I got nice coverage in 2 coats. This is a nice look, can work in a professional setting as well as casual. This is a darker shade than other similar polishes I own (Revlon Bare Bones, Sallie Hansen Infinite Natural, Essie Topless and Barefoot, OPI Samoan Sand). It's hard to find the perfect neutral, since skin tone makes all the difference...

on 12/30/2014 9:10:00 AM

I love this shade! And also the formula is really good quality, it applies perfectly and dries smoothly. It makes my hand look so classy, I find it the perfect shade for work.

This is my new go to shade. I never thought I would like something so plain (I love bold colors) but this one is lovely and classy for fall.

on 9/30/2014 12:26:00 AM

This is one of my go-to polishes. I keep my nails short, rounded squares and it looks so modern with this on. It's not too light or too dark against my NC20 skin. It's easy to apply. No streaking with easy clean up. It dries fast especially with a fast-dry topcoat. I often put thin gold detailing on top. Love this color. I hope they never discontinue it.

Popular Polishes