Headkandy Hair Extensions

3.1

on 11/29/2015 2:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First off, I read the reviews on here AFTER I had just purchased these extensions, and was waiting for my package to come in the mail.. I have been wearing extensions for 7 years + I had them installed professionally and have bought top of the line hair.I decided to switch to clip ins after years of annoying upkeep and stress on my natural hair. I have tried multiple clip in brands from hair supply stores in my area. (Bohyme,Hair Locs, Sally Beauty, Divine hair-the list goes on) I was a little skeptical from buying online in the first place and with all the bad reviews I was super nervous that I had blown $200 on low quality hair.

Since getting my extensions, toning them to match my hair,"washing" them, styling and wearing them everyday for a week- I must say I VERY HAPPY with the extensions! I don't know why there are so many negative reviews? I understand I have only had them for a short time, but I can tell the hair is great quality after washing even one time. As a matter of fact the hair was still too glossy/soft after I washed them! And not nappiness or tangles that you get with low quality hair.

Fullness:
I opted for the Full head extensions for $149.00 in Ohmygwenstefani 18-20"( PLUS a 22" single weft in the same color for when I want very glamourous and long hair. $39 extra)
The length of the "FULL SET" is definitely closer to 18 inches and not extremely thick, which I like- because I think that looks fake and I have A LOT of finer, collar bone length hair. However I don't even use all of the wefts they gave me because it looks more natural without all of them. So to me, they give you a lot of hair! in the past I've had to buy 2 packs of hair with other brands. The hair is almost TOO full when I put in the 22" weft on bottom! So Ill just keep that for when the hair starts thinning a little in a few months. I definitely did not have to buy the extra weft. However if you have long or REALLY thick hair, then you might want to opt for one of their other sets that offers all quad wefts or purchase an additional quad weft with your set. That is if you want like arianna grande thick hair like some of my friends do.

Clips:The clips are sturdy, and light. not bulky and do not make a snapping noise when you clip them, which I hate!!! I don't back comb my hair and they stay in fine! I like them, and the color is discreet and they are comfortable! they don't hurt.

Washing:For ppl complaining about them being nappy or matted after washing them, I believe they are not washing them correctly. You should NEVER shampoo or honestly even condition extensions as you would normal hair. Regardless of the shampoo! Even expensive ones strip the silicone layer off the hair which keeps them soft. I use diluted coconut oil to condition my extensions and never shampoo them. Even after toning my extensions with Wella T18 I just rinsed the hair thoroughly. If they get dry I plan to wet them In cold water use diluted coconut oil and rinse them. It will help moisturize them and not strip the silicone layer that protects the hair. Extensions do not get ANY natural oils on them like your natural hair so this is key to keeping them nice.

Shade: The OMGS is the lightest shade they offer, but is still pretty yellow for me. I have almost platinum hair and have found I always have to tone extensions to match perfectly. They have other shades but I was nervous they would be too dark a blonde to match and you can always tone light hair to darker. I'm glad I went with this shade. But it is not Ash at all in my opinion and kinda looks like it on their website. So if you are plat or white blonde be prepared to tone these.

Package: I love love love the packaging and cute instruction manual! It really makes a big difference to me. I love how the quad weft from the full set has a cute fabric sewn onto the track- it makes it very comfortable. I love how there are little tags with numbers sewn on to make sure you place the extensions properly. And I love how they send a tester track to make sure your color matches. If it doesn't- you can send it back! That's awesome.

I also love their website. They are on social media, and costumers post photos wearing their extensions. I like that because I can see other peoples results and comments on them. It makes me feel like they are a legit company!

I will be doing a second review after I have had these in for few months. But I have probably bought upwards of 150 packs of extensions and I can usually tell when hair is crap quality. This isn't. I could tell immediately after toning and rinsing these that they were good quality. I just think you should NOT wash them and always use heat protectant on them like they suggest.
So far I love these extensions and I really hope they will hold up!
I'll keep you posted on them!

on 10/14/2015 11:36:00 AM

If i could give this zero stars i would. The extensions that I received are complete crap, ratty and tangled and thin at the ends. The company customer service basically blamed me when I emailed them because i washed them with plain water and applied an extension conditioner and let them air dry.. apparently you are NEVER allowed to wash these extensions even though they advocate coloring them which requires you to wash them afterwards. This makes absolutely no sense and of course they won't allow returns and apparently aren't going to replace the set that i purchased. i cannot believe that i wasted so much money on this company and have been treated so poorly by them in return. This is absolutely ridiculous! I will never purchase from this company again, and you shouldn't either!

To Read all 33 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/17/2015 2:13:00 PM

I've had many different brands of hair extensions over the last 10 or so years. I started off with the single wefts you would purchase in Sallys and then started purchasing some off ebay and realized you could get full head sets...then moved to Jessica Simpson (the worst!) and eventually started researching what exactly I was purchasing... That's when I came across brands such as Foxylocks, Cliphair, Luxy Hair and Get Fancy to name a few (trust me, I've had hundreds!). With every set of extension I've owned they would be good for a month or two (max) before starting to dry out and tangle after that, they were at a point of no return and I'd persevere for a while until it got to the point where they were all completely unmanageable and there was no way I could wear them without brushing them at least 30 times in my 8 hour work day, at which point the shedding would also be absolutely ridiculous and there would be so much breakage that they were half the length they were when I'd bought them 2-3 months prior.

I figured with the cost of some of them, that they were probably going to be the best I would get and I was always worried about purchasing a different brand at the cost as it's pricey for a product that's not as good as you like to believe so it's easily justified to yourself. I gave in around 4 months ago and purchased some HeadKandy extensions, which are now DirtyLooks or something, despite reading reviews that the quality had gone downhill since the rebranding. If this is the case, then god, I wish I had tried these before!! They are the only hair extensions that have made it past the 3 month mark and are still in the same condition as they were when I bought them! I've always been afraid of washing the hair with past sets as well as I find that tends to dry them out even more, but when I decided to dye my hair a little darker I had no choice but to dye/wash the extensions also. The dye took exceptionally well and when they dried they were still as incredible as they were when I first purchased them!! They haven't tangled at all and there's practically NO shedding! They are still so thick, silky and bouncy! I honestly can't believe I've finally found hair extensions that will last a long time and won't cost me $400 every few months! I'm moving to Australia in a couple of months and I'm SO glad they deliver worldwide as I don't think I could go back to any other brand after having these!! I haven't tried Bellami or Beauty Works yet which I'm excited to try some time in the far future, but until then.. it looks like I'll be reordering my DirtyLooks extensions for a long time!!

on 3/14/2015 9:43:00 PM

Do not buy from this company, not only is their product terrible but their customer service is a joke. After sending them emails about how my extensions fell apart, the response that they gave me was generic and not helpful in resolving my frustrations.You will be wasting hundreds of dollars on a product made from poor quality hair which was constructed using poor quality materials, and all that you'll be receiving in return is disappointment.
Complaints:
-Colour didn't match from their website: It was supposed to be a dark brown. I don't remember dark brown having blonde highlights in it...
-The smell of the extensions wasn't appealing: It was a very chemical scent when I opened up the box. The only positive thing I can say is that it went away after washing them.
-The quality of the hair seemed nice AT FIRST: Upon washing the extensions for the first time they completely went downhill. All the softness, shine, and strength of the hair vanished. The hair went coarse, which no matter what I used (product-wise) to infuse moisture or protect from heat, the hair felt rough. And after washing them, the hair matted up so badly. I had to constantly brush out the two pieces near my neck as they would tangle up to the point of looking like a rodent nest; those two pieces also thinned out the worst from the constant brushing and stress put on the hair.
-The thickness of the extensions thinned out: Within only a couple of months of wearing them, the thickness went. I have medium to thick hair to begin with so when I had first received them I was so happy. It was horrible, I was finding hair all over. At home. At work. It was truly frustrating.
-Overall quality/construction was terrible: At one point had a chunk of hair fall off the track of the extension. A CHUNK. And it was not from the end either. I had about three chunks of hair come out in total, to which the reply from the 'customer service' was to "Apply clear nail polish to seal the hair to the track and reduce fall out". If the extensions are supposed to be such top quality and I KNOW I've taken great care with them, then I shouldn't be having this problem..

Bottom line: Utterly disappointed in this company and their product. I'd never recommend to anyone. Buy at your own risk.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

HeadKandy is definitely the best extension brand around. I have been wearing extensions for 6 years and have tried them all, my opinion:

HeadKandy: The best quality and selection of colors (especially if you're blonde). I wear them everyday -- and I usually have to replace every 4 months or so. However they don't curl as well as I would like - the curls don't stay like they used to. Not sure if this has to do with the takeover by DirtyLooks? I still order the HeadKandy 10 piece set.

Luxy: My second favorite. Hair is good quality, shipping is super fast, I love their customer service - professional and nice. Wish they had more blonde shades though - because I am in between colors. Hair from Luxy seems to last a long time too. doesn't matt or frizz as easily as others.

My Fantasy Hair: Sadly, the worst. Hair was stringy, not Remy hair, really thin at the ends and wouldn't hold a curl. The hair was also strangely dry -- was almost like wispy. I would not buy these again. I attempted to contact customer service and they were very unprofessional - told me to remove my review from Makeup Ally or they would sue me etc. I will not deal with them again. Crappy product and crappier customer service.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Here is a video I just made to show them

I got the Bobby Glam quad weft 220g extension set in toasted highlights. They are super soft & thick from top to bottom. Really love them but I have to get a lighter set to match platinum hair. Loving the colors mixed in the set for a natural look for someone with lowlights & highlights. I haven't got to ever wear them but I will when I get my new color.

on 5/18/2014 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Okay so I am obsessed with hair. i always buy hair extensions and i was on the search for some new hair extensions after I bought some poor quality ones online for $90 (I don't remember where). I I wanted to buy 24-26 inches. I soon realized hardly any places have extensions that long. So I ended up looking at Bellami, myfantasy hair, and dirty looks (headkandy). I wanted some that would give me a little tester hair strip since I didn't want to fall into that synthetic hair trap again. So I had to choose between Bellami and Dirty Looks. I saw a TON of reviews on Bellami but I didn't see very many on Dirty Looks, but I ended up choosing them just because i felt like all of Bellami's reviews were all like paid reviews or something. I ordered them. It was like $199. I work hard for my money, i work in healthcare and I wanted to get something nice for myself. I received them in about a week since they come from the UK and i live in California. When i received them, i only opened the tester portion. They were the wrong color. But the hair was silky smooth, super thick and very very real. It did not feel like that synthetic hair. I washed them before i dyed them, the hair did not mat at all. There is hardly any shedding and i even layered them because they are too long. The hair dye took perfectly and now they are the perfect shade of blonde. If you are looking for hair and an honest non-paid opinion, try dirty looks. If u don't like the color, texture, length or whatever about the hair, they give you a tester strip just to see if you like them. You can always return them. I just want to save someone the trouble of buying something they aren't gonna like. :) its happened to me. Trust me!

on 4/4/2014 11:57:00 AM

These were my first set of real hair extensions, ever, so I didn't know what to expect when I got them. I think I bought them in the dyable set they have, in 24inches quad weft and they were absolutely beautiful when I got them. Silky smooth, brushed through easily, kinda had a chemical smell. Wore them, they were fine until about the middle of the day where the hair at the nape of my neck would start tangling. Now I've heard some people say it was a normal thing for extensions on a hot day, so I disregarded that.

Then comes time to wash the extensions for the first time and man did they shed. Hair was no longer shiny after washing, it air dried wavy, which I didn't mind. The hair also became several times frizzier after washing. The ends were breaking off, not a good experience. After that first wash it became difficult to take the extensions out of my hair, I had to kind of rip them out, luckily my own hair is stronger and so it didn't pull out my real hair. Now I know extensions will shed a little bit, but these extensions have thinned out to less than half of what they originally were by 4 months. Every time I brushed the hair, clumps of hair would come out and I'd have to take the hair out of the brush/comb.

I heard all the good reviews about these extensions, and apparently the company was bought out or changed the website, I don't really know what happened but supposedly the good reviews were the older reviews from the former company.

In short, would not reccomend, atleast judging from the set I got. (This is coming from a first time extension wearer)

on 2/8/2014 3:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

OMG! I am soooooo disappointed. I have previously ordered from Headkandy.co.uk and I was super impressed. They were soft, silky, the colour matched perfectly and they reflected light in a way the only healthy hair can (I'm a hairstylist - I know healthy hair when I see it!). So anyway the initial length was too long for my hair. I tried them out once - for 5 minutes at home,and then put them away in their original packaging to wear when my hair finally gets long enough. I decided to get a slightly shorter length. Again - perfect quality - this was in June 2013.

Since it was my first set of extensions they obviously took a bit of a beating (trial and error of a first time extension user I suppose). Anyhow I decided to get another set. When I entered the website address into the browser it came up as an unfound domain name or similar. I nearly sheds a tear lol. Googled headkandy and and a "dirtylooks" website popped up. I saw that they had hk extension. I hoped that they were the original headkandy extensions I adored. To be sure I sent them an email asking what's going on. I got a prompt reply telling me that the extensions were exactly the same only that dirty looks now distribute them. I was relieved - I was a FOOL!

So I ordered the exact same set as before, and they arrived yesterday! When I opened the box marked HK I Was surprised to find that there was something slightly off about the packaging. The hair net had a hole and it seemed that some of the hair had been trapped in the seal. It's nothing major but compared to the previous packaging it was definitely substandard. So anyway I opened the test strand. What immediately struck me was the smell. Girls, it was the smell of cheap! You know, the same smell as mass produced clothing etc. how could this be!? I didn't pay for cheap! I paid for top quality! I'm from South Africa the rate of exchange was, at time of purchase 18,89ZAR-1£ and I paid 99,99£. That is the equivalent to minimum wage salary in SA, my friends! It gets worse - they felt awful! Dry as the Sahara desert and I could see they had the potential for matting more than Mary's little lamb! Also some of the hair looked like it had been singed. I doubt whether or not the are even 100% real human hair extensions! I compared them to my previous extensions, the ones I stored - in perfect condition - these are definitely second rate in comparison. No shine. No silky feel. Just broken hair and tangles!

It took me a long time to research the best quality brand of extensions! It's not an easy task either, because anyone can write a false review! So I'm totally lost now - back to the drawing board!
I will definitely be returning these crap extensions! And I'll also definitely be emailing them to have a good rant! I do not take lightly to liars who want to steal my money! I pay extra for quality and that's what I expect!

PS I am a real person with no affiliation to any hair extension company! Consumers need to stick together with regards to phony reviews and bogus promises from money hungry, lying companies! SAVE YOUR MONEY GIRLS - RATHER PAY ONCE FOR QUALITY THAN PAY TWICE FOR INFERIOR, LOW-GRADE PRODUCTS!

These are terrible, I won't lie. They smell horrific, synthetic. The colour I ordered was a dark brown, and it actually was a medium brown in person. I had to have my hair coloured to match them, which was MORE money. I tried to dye them, and the dye didn't show up much. They are also NOT SOFT AT ALL. They are coarse and rough, and so tangly I can't really wear them. I shouldn't have bought these. These were my first extensions and I saved up for them, and it was a bad experience. A total waste of money, and they have a terrible return policy (if you open the package, you can't return them).
Next time, I'm going with something less expensive (if I can save the money up again... GRRRRRRRR)