Rosewater by Heritage Products

Rosewater by Heritage Products
Rose Petals Rosewater by Heritage Products

4.6

Vor Mag Water, Hydroessential Rose Oil

I am sorry to give this product a negative review, since all 17 reviewers before me were so happy with it!

After reading about its soothing and lightly-moisturizing properties, I was interested to try rosewater as a toner.

My preference would have been to get food-grade rosewater that is meant for cooking, but I couldn't find any at the supermarkets in my area, and the prices of that type of rosewater on Amazon were too high for what what it was.

Therefore, I ended up getting a small spray bottle of this Heritage Rose Water at a health foods store for about $6 -- even though I am dubious about the idea of "Vor-Mag" water, and find the "recommended by Edgar Cayce" notation on the bottle to be off-putting (you can look him up on Wikipedia), which of course is the opposite of the company's intention.

Positives
+The small bottle is a nice size
+The sprayer works well
+The price isn't bad
+The scent is light and pleasant, not too heavy or cloying (as I had feared it might be) - and I'm not a big rose-fragrance person. The scent disappears after about 15 minutes.
+The product is simple, just 2 ingredients, and seems pretty natural and pure
+The spray felt refreshing
+The product did seem to be a little moisturizing in a very light way, which was just what I wanted
+it didn't break me out, in the short time that I used it

Negatives
-I agree with a previous reviewer that the bright pink bottle with so much writing on it is a little unattractive, but that's not a big issue for me
-As I mentioned above, the whole "vor-mag" and "Cayce" thing isn't my cup of tea
-The third day I used it, about the fifth time in total that I had ever used it on my face (I only put it on when my skin was bare and clean), after 30 minutes I began to have a reaction to it. My face felt really hot. After a further 15 minutes of not knowing what was going on (thinking I was coming down with the flu or something), I realized that it might be the rosewater toner and I washed the product off, then put cool-water compresses on my burning skin afterwards. It was a strange feeling - like having a high fever without being internally ill. This lasted for an additional half an hour. I still wasn't sure it was due to the product, because my skin didn't look as red as I would have expected it to.

To make sure that the burning sensation had been due to the product and not a bizarre passing fever, several hours later, after my skin was completely back to normal, I sprayed a little of the product on one area of one cheek, and left it to dry. After 15 minutes, that one area started to feel hot, so I washed it off. I won't use the rosewater anymore.

I do have sensitivities to a number of natural products, foods, pollens, animals' dander, etc., so it would not surprise me if I were also sensitive to rose oil.

---
By the way, if you are interested in seeing more opinions about this and similar rosewater products, many members have reviewed this product under the alternate MUA listing of "Toners - Unlisted Brand - Rosewater" (it has 65 reviews at the moment.)

I agree with another reviewer that the connection to Edgar Cayce is offputting. I don't really need my beauty products to be referring me to a psychic from the early 1900s. But, aside from the strange website and hideous packaging, the product itself is lovely! I'm not exactly sure what additional "benefit" vor-mag water actually has, but it does feel nice. The rose scent is pronounced, but not overpowering and fades nicely. I use this as a toning mist for my face. It feels fantastic on bare skin as a prep for serums or moisturizer and works really well if you mist over makeup during the day. I've seen a few other rose mists and they usually have a list of ingredients that includes alcohol and other preservatives, so this two ingredient product is a nice change.

The spray nozzle is one of the best I've found on plastic bottles. It atomizes very evenly and the mist is really fine. A nice feature if you use it like I do over makeup.

Overall, it's a fantastic product for the price.

I consider this a little luxury item. Not that it's expensive or anything but it feels so nice! I spray before my moisturizer application and also after I put on make up as a finishing spray. Refreshes my hair, sometimes I spray it all over before bed. Will repurchase and will also try their lavender version.

on 2/5/2016 7:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

This is a great after makeup spray ...it makes my foundation blend and look like my skin ..it somehow moisturizes my skin and controls oil..I tried so many finishing sprays mac..clinique..so much money and they were just way too concentrated and makeup looked like crap after...but this rosewater spray Perfect and super cheap!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have been using Heritage Store Rosewater for about a month now & I must echo the many positive reviews on here. It really is good stuff! I have extremely sensitive skin which has always been a bane in my life. Oil based ingredients, fragrances & many other irritative ingredients in common beauty products often cause cystic breakouts on my skin that can take a week or longer to heal. After reading all the glowing reviews about this rosewater, I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did!

I purchased mine through Walmart.com for a little under $10 (another plus!). The spray bottle contains 4oz of product. While the packaging is fairly plain, I will say that the spray nozzle works really well! It delivers an even spray & has yet to clog or leak. I have purchased more expensive products in the past that still managed to leak & clog, so kudos to Heritage Store for it's sturdy packaging! For such a cheap & seemingly basic product, this rosewater really does deliver in a more slightly subtle way & it has fast became a staple in my skincare routine. I like to use it as a toner after washing my face & it really does calm my sensitive skin. Once I have toned & applied serum to my face & neck, I spritz this rosewater on my fingers & mix it with my Skinmedica ha5 Hyaluronic Acid Hydrator, then apply it to my face. All of these products combined leave my face extremely hydrated & cushiony without being greasy. I'm not sure what kind of results this would produce on its own, but it fits in perfectly with my current skincare repertoire, like a missing link I didn't know I had needed. I also like to spray myself with this when I get too hot, which in Florida, is all the time. lol. It makes a great midday refresher! I plan to purchase another bottle to keep in my fridge, solely for that purpose. Oh, did I mention it smells great too? Like a rosegarden, yet it isn't cloying & it doesn't linger any longer than 15-20 minutes.

I highly recommend this product, especially those with sensitive skin. I am so glad I tried it! Also, I want to give a big "Thank you!" to my fellow MUA'ers who recommended this product! You guys are so awesome!

on 5/22/2013 3:00:00 AM

If asked to list my number 1 beauty 'habit', it would be my mixture of rosewater and liquid aloe. i adore the scent of roses, not to mention how beneficial rosewater is as a mild astringent for skin. You can drink rosewater as well, its tasty. This brand is pricey, about $8 for a spray bottle. So usually I buy Alwadi brand rosewater when i can find it, usually in an Indian or middle Eastern store. That brand is pure, there are other brands in indian shops but beware of the ingredient lists- stay away from any flavorings or unnatural things, they may irritate your skin. Some of them are intended for food use only. The Alwadi is only about $3 for the same size or maybe even a bit larger. I mix rosewater with liquid aloe (george's brand) mainly to save the rosewater since I go through a lot, but also everyone knows how great aloe is for skin. the rosewater scent is still powerful,but not too much so, when mixed with the aloe. I spray this all over my face, let it dry mostly and then use my moisturizer. Often i just spray it wherever I like for the scent. Most perfumes and fake scents give me a headache, so this is often all I'll spray on myself. i do recommend the Heritage brand if you can afford it.

on 4/28/2014 8:39:00 PM

I'm obsessed with this Rose Water!! The spray bottle is so nice to spritz your face throughout the day. I also use this as a daily face toner twice a day after cleansing. It calms my skin instantly, and makes my skin look even and hydrated. I have also started tossing my bottle in a little ice cooler with ice and leaving it in my car to spritz on my face after I finish running. It's so refreshing and the coolness calms my flushed skin down right away. The smell is something I had to get used to. I didn't care for the floral scent at first, but it has grown on me and dissipates quickly. Highly recommend! If anything, using a facial spray is just fun :)

It really helped reduce my redness. It made my complexion more bright. It does wonders to help calm my irritated skin down a notch. This is wonderful for summertime when your face is irritated from being in the hot sunny weather! Oh and the smell is just really lovely - like fresh roses. Ive added this to my everyday skin routine and I don't know what Id do without it!

on 3/31/2011 2:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this rose water. It has no chemicals, and smells like a fresh , light filled rose garden.

I use it as a skin toner, room spray, and in drinks and desserts as it's Food Grade.

You can find it in various sizes and prices from $3 to $10. It comes in transparent pink plastic spray bottles, and a larger size lasts me about a year.

Quick drydown and the fragrance fades.. within about 30 mins that I personally notice while wearing it, but other people still can smell it on me in the day. They say I smell like roses. :)

on 2/5/2012 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

i'm surprised this is listed under "fragrances", as it's also a food flavoring and skincare product as well as a haircare product!

i bought this at Whole Foods for $11-ish. and then i came across it at Natural Grocers for only $7... so i'll be repurchasing from there. theres also a rosewater and glycerin one, which i'm curious to try-- but i dont wanna mess with a good thing :)

this comes in the spray bottle thats pictured above, and i do like that its not in another form of packaging. the bottle's pink, but the actual rose water is clear.

i use this on my hair and face. after i get out of the shower i spray some on my face and then pat it in. it keeps my face more hydrated, i kid you not.

i REALLY love it on my hair though. i'm on a water only routine, where i dont use any shampoo, conditioner, etc. (i know, i know, some ppl think it's gross). and i wanted something to mask the sebum smell in my hair. unfortunately the small in the is doesnt last more that a few hours on my hair, but its other benefits are well worth the expense! i spray it on dry hair and then comb it through. it gets rid of fly-aways, and leaves my hair sooo soft! and then it STAYS soft! yay

i'll re-buy this again and again! so happy i found it!

Popular Fragrances