Rosewater by Heritage Products

Rosewater by Heritage Products
Rose Petals Rosewater by Heritage Products

4.4

Vor Mag Water, Hydroessential Rose Oil

This simple, unglamarous product is one of my few must-haves in my arsenal. I won't ever be without this stuff.

First: yes, it smells like roses. It's rosewater. I keep seeing people complain about the scent. Don't buy rosewater if you don't like rose scent. I'm not sure why this is taking people by surprise. I enjoy the smell because it is true, authentic rose, like smelling the flower - not fake, powdery, or overpowering. The smell lingers for a few minutes after using, then dissipates. It doesn't stay with you all day.

The packaging is okay. The sprayers can be inconsistent: sometimes I get one that sprays a very fine, even mist and sometimes I get one that squirts out in more of a stream. Luck of the draw, I guess, but I've had more good ones than bad. The packaging isn't pretty, but for how great this is and the low price, I don't care.

I mostly use this as a toner on my face. I spritz it on after cleansing, morning and night, and it helps to calm my skin, reduce redness, and add a bit of hydration. It dries quickly and leaves no tackiness. I sometimes use it as a makeup setting spray if I feel like my makeup has turned out a little too heavy or powdery. On summer days, I'll spritz it on my face and body throughout the day to refresh and cool my skin.

I also like to mix this with oils to "cut" them. Take a few drops of the oil of your choice, add a spritz or two of this, and the oil becomes more spreadable and more readily absorbed. I do this for both face and body, and it makes oil much easier and more enjoyable to apply.

Lastly, I like this in my hair. I have curly/wavy hair, and if I need to dampen my hair to refresh it, I like to use this vs. plain water. I feel like it works better, and it smells nicer, too.

I'll keep repurchasing this forever. I'm sure other brands of rosewater work just as well, but this one is inexpensive and easy to find, so I'll stick with this one.

I am sorry to give this product a negative review, since all 17 reviewers before me were so happy with it!

After reading about its soothing and lightly-moisturizing properties, I was interested to try rosewater as a toner.

My preference would have been to get food-grade rosewater that is meant for cooking, but I couldn't find any at the supermarkets in my area, and the prices of that type of rosewater on Amazon were too high for what what it was.

Therefore, I ended up getting a small spray bottle of this Heritage Rose Water at a health foods store for about $6 -- even though I am dubious about the idea of "Vor-Mag" water, and find the "recommended by Edgar Cayce" notation on the bottle to be off-putting (you can look him up on Wikipedia), which of course is the opposite of the company's intention.

Positives
+The small bottle is a nice size
+The sprayer works well
+The price isn't bad
+The scent is light and pleasant, not too heavy or cloying (as I had feared it might be) - and I'm not a big rose-fragrance person. The scent disappears after about 15 minutes.
+The product is simple, just 2 ingredients, and seems pretty natural and pure
+The spray felt refreshing
+The product did seem to be a little moisturizing in a very light way, which was just what I wanted
+it didn't break me out, in the short time that I used it

Negatives
-I agree with a previous reviewer that the bright pink bottle with so much writing on it is a little unattractive, but that's not a big issue for me
-As I mentioned above, the whole "vor-mag" and "Cayce" thing isn't my cup of tea
-The third day I used it, about the fifth time in total that I had ever used it on my face (I only put it on when my skin was bare and clean), after 30 minutes I began to have a reaction to it. My face felt really hot. After a further 15 minutes of not knowing what was going on (thinking I was coming down with the flu or something), I realized that it might be the rosewater toner and I washed the product off, then put cool-water compresses on my burning skin afterwards. It was a strange feeling - like having a high fever without being internally ill. This lasted for an additional half an hour. I still wasn't sure it was due to the product, because my skin didn't look as red as I would have expected it to.

To make sure that the burning sensation had been due to the product and not a bizarre passing fever, several hours later, after my skin was completely back to normal, I sprayed a little of the product on one area of one cheek, and left it to dry. After 15 minutes, that one area started to feel hot, so I washed it off. I won't use the rosewater anymore.

I do have sensitivities to a number of natural products, foods, pollens, animals' dander, etc., so it would not surprise me if I were also sensitive to rose oil.

---
By the way, if you are interested in seeing more opinions about this and similar rosewater products, many members have reviewed this product under the alternate MUA listing of "Toners - Unlisted Brand - Rosewater" (it has 65 reviews at the moment.)

I try to write all my reviews the same way I'd like to see reviews, so first off here are my stats:
- 18 years old
- Combination skin, oily t-zone and slightly dry cheeks
- Acne prone, especially to black heads
- Some acne scarring (hyperpigmintation)

This is basically the most perfect toner, make up setter, whatever!

Pros
- Spritz bottle is convenient + the rose colored bottle
- Smells heavenly
- Just two ingredients: rose oil and water!
- If you've applied makeup too cakey, just do one or two spritz and it'll help immensely
- The most universal toner you'll ever experience, I usually spritz this after applying tea tree oil on my face as well as neck and chest, it's cooling and soothing
- If you're hot throughout the day don't hesitate to use this!
- Super cheap

Cons
- Gallon size needed!!

on 1/31/2017 11:58:00 PM

I use this everyday, several times a day...I also use the rosewater/glycerin from Heritage. I was using Mario Badescu rosewater until I realized it contains red dye, blue dye, hexalyne glycol alcohol, and butelyne...umm no thanks, too much alcohol for a product created to use several times a day..Heritage is void of all that junk, and a natural product. I have purchased at least 15-20 bottles of this over the last 2 yrs, and cannot be without it. I set my makeup with it, I spray it on my brushes before use, spray my Beauty Blender before use, I spray it at night as my final cleansing/moisturizing step to seal in all the moisture of my moisturizer and serum, and a few times throughout the day to freshen my makeup.

I agree with another reviewer that the connection to Edgar Cayce is offputting. I don't really need my beauty products to be referring me to a psychic from the early 1900s. But, aside from the strange website and hideous packaging, the product itself is lovely! I'm not exactly sure what additional "benefit" vor-mag water actually has, but it does feel nice. The rose scent is pronounced, but not overpowering and fades nicely. I use this as a toning mist for my face. It feels fantastic on bare skin as a prep for serums or moisturizer and works really well if you mist over makeup during the day. I've seen a few other rose mists and they usually have a list of ingredients that includes alcohol and other preservatives, so this two ingredient product is a nice change.

The spray nozzle is one of the best I've found on plastic bottles. It atomizes very evenly and the mist is really fine. A nice feature if you use it like I do over makeup.

Overall, it's a fantastic product for the price.

on 3/15/2012 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is such a wonderful multi-purpose product, I don't know what I'd do without it. Cheap too, $8 for an 8oz bottle on Amazon though the big bottle doesn't have a spritzer. That's fine, since I decant into a smaller bottle anyway. Only two ingredients--water, and rose, that's it. It's incredibly gentle, slightly astringent, and just moisturizing enough to neither strip my skin nor make it feel greasy. I use this in numerous ways: setting my makeup, as a gentle base for my DIY toner, even to mask any smells in my hair (especially on days I do an ACV rinse). Would definitely repurchase, and would buy it by the gallon if I could.

NOTE: Unless your skin's super dry, if you're buying this to set your makeup be careful not to buy the version with glycerin in it. The glycerin is extra moisturizing, but it'll also make your makeup run/fade much quicker. I made that mistake, but since DH has skin as dry as the Sahara I gave it to him.

on 2/5/2016 7:18:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

This is a great after makeup spray ...it makes my foundation blend and look like my skin ..it somehow moisturizes my skin and controls oil..I tried so many finishing sprays mac..clinique..so much money and they were just way too concentrated and makeup looked like crap after...but this rosewater spray Perfect and super cheap!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I gave this product 3 stars cause I feel like it's overrated. I guess I was expecting too much, lol, but to me it's just a really nice smelling mist in a bottle for $7. I guess it's refreshing for a hot summer day or if you have a sunburn, allergic reaction, etc. but to me it's not all that worth it. I do love the smell of roses though, but that's about it. I feel like I'd rather make a green tea spray or cucumber spray which is free (since I have it in my house already) and it'd feel just as refreshing with the same effects.

I consider this a little luxury item. Not that it's expensive or anything but it feels so nice! I spray before my moisturizer application and also after I put on make up as a finishing spray. Refreshes my hair, sometimes I spray it all over before bed. Will repurchase and will also try their lavender version.

on 7/19/2016 7:49:00 PM

So when I bought this, I got it for $7 on Amazon and it took me three days to finally confirm the order because I kept thinking "How stupid am I to pay $7 for WATER? This is such BS. Special water with roses? What am I doing?"

Well as it turns out, it's not actually BS. I have dry, acne-prone skin. I bought this to be a "refresher" spray (I just poured some in a little travel size spray bottle) that I hoped wouldn't irritate my skin or mess up my makeup. I wanted something to use on an upcoming 12 hour flight and also generally throughout the summer. The rose water has been surprisingly great! It perks up/refreshes my skin when I spray it on and doesn't mess up my makeup at all. It hasn't caused any negative skin reactions (irritation, dryness, acne or otherwise) for me in the six weeks I have been using it. I use it after rinsing my face in the morning in place of daytime moisturizer and I think it makes my skin feel a tiny bit less dry. While I can't get past the idea that it's coincidental, I've also had less breakouts - quite a bit less - on my chin since I started with the rose water. Further, when I spray it on and then apply my CC cream, it works well for thinning out the CC coverage just the right amount.

It feels like water and smells like roses. I don't know what this product is really supposed to do or how, but I'm glad I have it!

Popular Fragrances