Maybelline New York One-by-One, Waterproof ] [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Maybelline New York One-by-One, Waterproof ] [DISCONTINUED]

My HG of mascaras! Perfectly and evenly coated lashes, no clumps and no spider leg lashes. Only downfall is the lack of seal between the wand and the tube. These mascaras dry out rather quickly!

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'm on my second tube now, after trying some other mascaras. I couldn't wait for them to run out so I could buy this again!

Some background: I have long, thick, quite curly lashes. In fact, the outer corners are too curly, and therefore escape most mascara brushes. I really need a brush that let's me grab ahold of the tops of those lashes and "straighten" them out. My goal is black, Kim Kardashian looking lashes.

So, now for the actual review: this mascara really succeeds with it's brush. No joke, this is the most perfect mascara wand I've ever come across. I really like silicone brushes, as I feel these have the potential to have their bristles be better and more purposely spaced, allow for more customized brush shapes than a traditional brush, and that just the right amount of flexibility can be a boon to application. The One by One brush nails each of these areas. The brush is tapered like a football, making it easy to use on inner lashes without smudging it everywhere (that's a tight area to work in!) and making it easy to catch my super-curly (seriously, they're practically just loops) outer lashes. Many brushes are so bizarre these days that you need a technique just to use them, but the One by One brush is totally user-friendly; you can do a quick coat and move on in life (or layer, as it layers quite well up to 3 coats).

As for the formula, I find it to be what one might call "decent." It doesn't flake or smudge; it holds the lashes' shape; it lengthens and volumizes. However, I wouldn't say it particularly excels in any of these areas. That's not a bad thing, though. "Jack of all trades, master of none" is usually a bad thing, but with mascara I think it's a strength. Most formulas only do one thing--ONLY lengthen, ONLY volumize, ONLY curl. One by One gives you all of them. However, if you specifically need one function, you may be better off looking elsewhere. I don't think you'll find a better brush, though...!

on 7/1/2014 3:41:00 AM

This is my favorite waterproof mascara. It lengthens, thickens and darkens my short, straight Asian lashes incredibly well. It also holds a curl all day long until I remove it with Ponds at night. I lightly dust my undereye area with loose foundation powder before applying mascara, and so far have had no issues with flaking or smudging with the One-by-One.

This mascara is being DISCONTINUED. Stock up while you can. Alternatively, you can try the Maybelline Rocket waterproof mascara (requires more coats to achieve a similar effect; slightly different wand).

on 6/22/2014 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My favorite type of lash look consists of lusciously long length, some volume (definitely not overpowering the length), and a formula that refuses to clump after layer and layer of mascara.
I'll be comparing this to Maybelline's Lash Stiletto because I only own these two mascaras.

-Neither mascaras can hold a curl.
-Lash Stiletto gets clumpy, and I usually spend extra minutes in the mirror "combing out" the clumps with a spooley or the mascara wand.
-One by One does NOT get clumpy, which I adore. And it really does separate and lengthen lashes!
-Lash Stiletto will give you a pregame version of spider lashes, One by One will not.
-This is a shot in the dark, but One by One definitely lengthened my lashes by ~2x!
-One by One looks more natural than Lash Stiletto; then again I have the ObO in a brown-black (it was the only available color) and Lash Stiletto in the blackest black.
-Despite having the brown-black shade, the mascara is dark and pitch-black - like it sucks up light instead of reflecting it.
-I have sensitive eyes, and even though ObO's brush is super chunky, it's a nice grade of silicone that's soft and non-threatening (have you ever put your mascara wand so close to your eye that you impulsively wince?! that's what I'm talking about).

What I love the most about the One by One is the lash separation! It looks much more natural than Lash Stiletto on.

I wasn't able to find this at my local Walmart or Target or any major drugstore except Walgreens and CVS (corner stores?) so I'm not sure if these are being discontinued??? On the Maybelline website, it says it's not getting discontinued but I'm seeing very limited stock where I live, and I live in a major city (Houston).

on 5/28/2014 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my holy grail mascara. I used to love the maybelline rocket volume express mascara, but I ran out and decided to try this one. It turned out that I actually liked it more than that one and that was a surprise considering the rocket volume express had been my all time favourite. It is so natural and clump free. No matter how many coats I apply, it is clump free. Also, it holds a curl wonderfully and it's volumizing and lengthening. It rarely smudges and it is extremely waterproof. If you are new to mascaras or you want a natural volumizing and lengthening mascara, I highly recommend this product.

Wow! I'm very impressed with this mascara. I got this on sale for $6.99 at London drugs in Canada... It's normally $10 cdn. Anywho, it really lengthened my lashes and slightly volumized them too. I also love how the plastic bristles are long enough to grab on to my lashes and really extends the length as well. The product also held my curls well and they didn't droop at all! The formula is slightly dry which I prefer because it wet formulas are too heavy for my eyelashes. I love how it doesn't smudge and doesn't make my lashes crunchy. I just don't like the packing because its so chubby. This is my current favourite maybelline mascara at the moment :)

Update: I brought this with me to London and Paris a couple of weeks ago during my vacation and it did a great job! It was really humid in London, and hot and dry in Paris (it also rained 1 day in each city when I went)... And this mascara didn't smudge! It flaked a little but no smudging! I would recommend this for those people that are travelling. I think this will be my go to drug store mascara.

July 2014: update: I just found out they will be discontinuing this mascara.

on 2/25/2014 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is a nice mascara for my rather skimpy, light colored eyelashes. I have learned not to expect miraculous results from any mascara, so I do rate this one highly based on the fact that it gave a nice, natural look to my eyes and holds up well throughout the day. There is no smudging and only an occasional clump that can be easily brushed away before application. However, I have used two tubes of this mascara and on both tubes the rubber rim around the opening of the tube has loosened and come off with the brush when I unscrew the top. For that reason, I will most likely not purchase this product again. I find it to be on a par with CoverGirl's clumpcrusher mascara, so I will stick with that product from now on.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I'm just slightly disappointed that there isn't as much volume with this formula compared to the original but given that I have stubborn Asian lashes that won't stay curled whatsoever, this formula surprisingly held a curl all day and it lengthens pretty well for me. So far I have a got few questions asking me if I was wearing fake lashes which is really flattering considering that I'm actually only wearing a cheap drugstore mascara along with the fact that my natural eyelashes are not in any means long.

on 1/15/2014 3:18:00 PM

Price - about $6

Performance - Not that strong in the waterproof/smudge-proof department, but it does last a long time before smudges start to show along the rims of lower eyelashes (and no it's not my eyeliner because these smudges have appeared on days when I wear solely this mascara).

Volume? Not really. Just about average. You could certainly build up more than what it delivers from the first swipe but you better be swift because this formula dries fast and stiffens the lashes pretty quickly.

Curl? What I dislike is that for some odd damn reason, the formula drags down my lashes. I'm Asian, blessed with thin, straight lashes (yeah, awesome right?). The eyelash curler is my lashes' best friend, and this mascara is my eyelash curler's foe. Any curl I create in the beginning of my application ends up withering downward after a few hours.
I know it's advertised for volume, so of course I don't expect it to help with anything other than volume. But when it has adverse effects while failing to successfully deliver its promise...it's a no go.

Color? I got it in Blackest Black, but the color is definitely not that black. There just isn't enough oomph to the blackness.

Overall - I wouldn't repurchase. Recommend? I don't know. It might work for you as long as you don't have straight lashes like mine!

I wanted a basic mascara that will darken my lashes, not smudge or give me raccoon eyes, and holds a curl. I went on a hunt for just an average mascara that's cheap and this has pretty good reviews overall. I am thoroughly disappointed with this mascara. First of all, the wand is big, why the hell do I need a wand that big? Makes it smear onto my eyelids or around the eye area. The formula is quite wet and it seems to separate my lashes quite nicely. It looks decent when first applied but after a couple hours this stuff smears so badly onto the lower portion of my eye especially the outer corner. I need something that won't make me look like an idiot because I don't have time to check up on my makeup at work. I ended up having an embarrassing moment at work when I finally saw the havoc it created after three hours. God knows what people around me were thinking.. Probably thought I don't even know how to apply makeup properly.