Maybelline New York One-by-One, Waterproof ] [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Maybelline New York One-by-One, Waterproof ] [DISCONTINUED]

3.9

on 1/2/2015 11:03:00 PM

Insert that removes the clumps comes out. Had this happen on a few different tubes.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'm on my second tube now, after trying some other mascaras. I couldn't wait for them to run out so I could buy this again!

Some background: I have long, thick, quite curly lashes. In fact, the outer corners are too curly, and therefore escape most mascara brushes. I really need a brush that let's me grab ahold of the tops of those lashes and "straighten" them out. My goal is black, Kim Kardashian looking lashes.

So, now for the actual review: this mascara really succeeds with it's brush. No joke, this is the most perfect mascara wand I've ever come across. I really like silicone brushes, as I feel these have the potential to have their bristles be better and more purposely spaced, allow for more customized brush shapes than a traditional brush, and that just the right amount of flexibility can be a boon to application. The One by One brush nails each of these areas. The brush is tapered like a football, making it easy to use on inner lashes without smudging it everywhere (that's a tight area to work in!) and making it easy to catch my super-curly (seriously, they're practically just loops) outer lashes. Many brushes are so bizarre these days that you need a technique just to use them, but the One by One brush is totally user-friendly; you can do a quick coat and move on in life (or layer, as it layers quite well up to 3 coats).

As for the formula, I find it to be what one might call "decent." It doesn't flake or smudge; it holds the lashes' shape; it lengthens and volumizes. However, I wouldn't say it particularly excels in any of these areas. That's not a bad thing, though. "Jack of all trades, master of none" is usually a bad thing, but with mascara I think it's a strength. Most formulas only do one thing--ONLY lengthen, ONLY volumize, ONLY curl. One by One gives you all of them. However, if you specifically need one function, you may be better off looking elsewhere. I don't think you'll find a better brush, though...!

on 7/1/2014 3:41:00 AM

This is my favorite waterproof mascara. It lengthens, thickens and darkens my short, straight Asian lashes incredibly well. It also holds a curl all day long until I remove it with Ponds at night. I lightly dust my undereye area with loose foundation powder before applying mascara, and so far have had no issues with flaking or smudging with the One-by-One.

This mascara is being DISCONTINUED. Stock up while you can. Alternatively, you can try the Maybelline Rocket waterproof mascara (requires more coats to achieve a similar effect; slightly different wand).

on 6/28/2014 7:26:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Despite the name, this mascara is NOT WATERPROOF. I wore this for only a few hours and had awful raccoon eyes as a result of this terrible formula. It also weighed my lashes down and could not hold a curl. Gave me spider lashes as well. I bought this based on the reviews here, but I no regret that decision. Total waste.

on 6/13/2014 12:25:00 PM

I have been looking for a waterproof mascara to keep my straight short lashes curled. I was at the Rexall (canada) and maybelline mascaras were all on sale for $4.99! I never use waterproof mascara (don't know why just never thought of it!) But after seeing a tutorial where waterproof mascara came up for holding lash curls I'd thought I'd check it out. I bought this mascara based on the review here on MUA but I have to say i'm disappointed. Yes the mascara held up my curls, but that was all it did. No volume, no length and make my lashes stiff to touch. I had also bought "the falsies waterproof" at the same time and was much happier with that purchase. The one to one mascara did not smudge or transfer during my 12hr shift which was great but was very difficult to remove, lost some lashes in the process (and believe me I can't afford to lose lashes LOL)!! Will not be buying again.

on 5/2/2014 10:37:00 PM

My new HG mascara after Kiss Me. Doesn't clump even with double or triple coats. Doesn't smudge. Awesome product, amazing price.

Wow! I'm very impressed with this mascara. I got this on sale for $6.99 at London drugs in Canada... It's normally $10 cdn. Anywho, it really lengthened my lashes and slightly volumized them too. I also love how the plastic bristles are long enough to grab on to my lashes and really extends the length as well. The product also held my curls well and they didn't droop at all! The formula is slightly dry which I prefer because it wet formulas are too heavy for my eyelashes. I love how it doesn't smudge and doesn't make my lashes crunchy. I just don't like the packing because its so chubby. This is my current favourite maybelline mascara at the moment :)

Update: I brought this with me to London and Paris a couple of weeks ago during my vacation and it did a great job! It was really humid in London, and hot and dry in Paris (it also rained 1 day in each city when I went)... And this mascara didn't smudge! It flaked a little but no smudging! I would recommend this for those people that are travelling. I think this will be my go to drug store mascara.

July 2014: update: I just found out they will be discontinuing this mascara.

on 3/16/2014 7:19:00 PM

I have short, stubborn, point-straight-down, thin lashes and I like this mascara very much. It holds a curl, it doesn't really clump much and it doesn't smudge or flake. Lots of mascaras smudge on me, so this waterproof formula is pretty good.

I consider the Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes in waterproof to be my favorite mascara, in part because I love the small curved "natural" bristle wand. The One-By-One's wand is plastic and shaped like an ellipse, which is pretty good for separating lashes but not the best for use on the lower lashes if you have nearly invisible lower lashes like I do. The One -By-One's formula is a bit more waterproof than the Colossal Cat Eyes' waterproof formula -- by this, I mean that Cat Eyes will smudge a tiny bit under my eyes, but also leaves my lashes a bit softer and is easier to remove. The One By One's waterproof fomula makes my lashes a bit more stiff and take a little longer to remove but will not smudge at all.

I'm glad I tried this mascara and like to use it as a topcoat over a layer of the Colossal Cat Eyes for added drama and volume and waterproofness/seal. I'll buy it again.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This mascara didn't hold my curl, made my lashes look clumpy, and spidery with only ONE COAT, and it didn't really do anything to my lashes other than made it look spidery. The formula doesn't even go on the wand fully, a lot of product comes out on the stopper of the mascara tube, and you can see the clubs of mascara on the wand which probably why it made my lashes look horrible!

I keep repurchasing this mascara but be WARNED: Satin Black is NOT the same formula at all as Blackest Black (what I love and buy). Blackest black has a lovely formula and it makes my lashest look their prettiest. No clumping, no spidery lashes...just pretty, black lashes! Absolutely adore. For drugstore, this is perfect.