Maybelline New York One-by-One, Waterproof ] [DISCONTINUED]

Maybelline New York One-by-One, Waterproof ] [DISCONTINUED]

on 4/27/2011 3:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

HOLY GRAILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would make love to this if it were a person.

I love it so much because it gives me a rediculous amount of volume and just the right amount of length. My eyelashes are very long, but tin and I don't have all that many. This actually makes my long lashes a little bit longer and awesome volume. To me, this is a step above the Falsies, expect The Falsies gives more length. Best of all, no clumping!! I recommend this in waterproof though because the original smudges.

If you need more length then volume, go with the Falsies.
If you need more volume than length, go with One by One.

EDIT: As for June 2013, this is no longer my holy grail, so sad to say. And I'm not sure what happened. I loved this more than anything, then tried a whole bunch for a while, was missing it, went back to it and now it's just... natural. Still basically clump free, very smooth, a little more on the voluminous side, but there was just no wow to it like I had before. Maybe I've matured a little into the makeup department or I'm looking for more now? PS-then I was 18, now I'm almost turning 21.

on 1/11/2015 9:35:00 PM

I relied on this mascara all last winter and now it's discontinued! I haven't bought any in a while because i've been using many other mascaras. I'm a huge mascara junkie! I really did want to buy this product again in the future but now I can't:(. This mascara was amazing because it gave wonderful volume and I LOVED the brush. The brush separated my lashes and really grabbed them one by one hence the name. Usually when I pull a mascara brush out of a tube, a gloopy chunk comes out but this brush did not clump at all. But even if the brush got clumpy, I wouldn't mind wiping it off because I loved this mascara so much. Maybelline why did get rid off this mascara? Please bring it back! So many people miss it!

on 10/13/2013 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This mascara is like magic! It actually CURLS my barely there Asian lashes, builds volume and lengthens with no clumping. I've tried the non-waterproof version and it is not nearly as good. I've tried far more expensive mascaras and have regretted not just coming back to this one. It's perfect.

on 7/3/2012 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

First off, I dislike waterproof mascaras. I only wear them when I absolutely have to. But I needed a new waterproof mascara because I was going white water rafting (and god forbid, I go without mascara!), and this was on clearance at CVS and I had a coupon, so I picked this up without many expectations. However, this is hands-down the best waterproof mascara Iíve ever used! The brush is kind of chunky & hard to work with. Its wider in the middle and narrower at the ends, with short, rubbery bristles. Itís a little hard to get the base of the lashes with this brush, but it does give me longer, perfectly separated lashes. It adds a little volume and it is buildable, but it is more of a lengthening & defining mascara than a dramatic, volumizing mascara. It does leave my lashes somewhat stiff, but it is truly waterproof. NO smudges at all, even after an 8-hour rafting trip, and a 2+ hour long run (in sweltering 90 degree heat). My lashes look as fresh and amazing as when Iíd applied this mascara. It is a bugger to remove, I use an oil cleanser to dissolve my eyemakeup followed by a gel facial cleanser, and the next morning I still had smears/black specks under my eyes. But for when a truly waterproof mascara is needed, this doesnít disappoint. Iím pretty sure this is the first waterproof mascara Iíve ever raved about, and I already purchased a back-up!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a great mascara if you have short lashes that don't curl. I prefer the the falsies over this in waterproof because I need thickness more than length. It is great for definition though. It holds my curl after I curl my stubborn straight downward pointing lashes! =)

This is my favorite mascara! My lashes are a little bit on the long side and average thickness so this stuff makes them look pretty darn flawless. I do have to be careful when putting it on that it doesn't poke my eyelids with the wand but that's not a problem. You'll also need a good makeup remover cuz this stuff isn't going anywhere. I love it.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I'm on my second tube now, after trying some other mascaras. I couldn't wait for them to run out so I could buy this again!

Some background: I have long, thick, quite curly lashes. In fact, the outer corners are too curly, and therefore escape most mascara brushes. I really need a brush that let's me grab ahold of the tops of those lashes and "straighten" them out. My goal is black, Kim Kardashian looking lashes.

So, now for the actual review: this mascara really succeeds with it's brush. No joke, this is the most perfect mascara wand I've ever come across. I really like silicone brushes, as I feel these have the potential to have their bristles be better and more purposely spaced, allow for more customized brush shapes than a traditional brush, and that just the right amount of flexibility can be a boon to application. The One by One brush nails each of these areas. The brush is tapered like a football, making it easy to use on inner lashes without smudging it everywhere (that's a tight area to work in!) and making it easy to catch my super-curly (seriously, they're practically just loops) outer lashes. Many brushes are so bizarre these days that you need a technique just to use them, but the One by One brush is totally user-friendly; you can do a quick coat and move on in life (or layer, as it layers quite well up to 3 coats).

As for the formula, I find it to be what one might call "decent." It doesn't flake or smudge; it holds the lashes' shape; it lengthens and volumizes. However, I wouldn't say it particularly excels in any of these areas. That's not a bad thing, though. "Jack of all trades, master of none" is usually a bad thing, but with mascara I think it's a strength. Most formulas only do one thing--ONLY lengthen, ONLY volumize, ONLY curl. One by One gives you all of them. However, if you specifically need one function, you may be better off looking elsewhere. I don't think you'll find a better brush, though...!

on 7/19/2012 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

First of all, I bought this solely on the reviews this. The reviews caught my eye because mascara rarely has such high ratings so when I saw this, I had to give it a try. This is the best mascara I have tried by far, including drugstore and high end! I have tried more drugstore than high end mascaras because a good mascara is sooo hard to find and I'd rather experiement with cheaper drugstore ones than have to pay $20+ for a high end brand and the high end ones I have tried have still disappointed me. This gives me nice fluttery volume, it's buildable, decent lengthening, and best of it does not smudge on me, even in this hot, humid, disgusting weather! I took a walk during my lunch break a few days ago when it was in the 90's and VERY humid and I was pretty sweaty afterwards but still no smudges! If I wear very creamy concealer or a rich eye cream, there will be a little bit of darkness right underneath my lashes but no noticeable smudge. The fact that this is impressing me is saying a lot because my lashes are pathetic. They are very thin, sparse, and short. They also do not hold a curl well unless I use a good waterproof mascara and this holds it perfectly with no drooping throughout the day. I don't have any problems removing this mascara because I use MAC's oil based makeup remover. Love that I found my perfect mascara at the drugstore!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I don't mind paying $$ for products that work and perform well for me. Especially mascara, as I have light, thin, short, sparse lashes. But to me, drugstore mascaras typically perform as well as the high end counterparts. I have tried Dior and other high ends was not impressed This is one of those mascaras that you wonder why you tried so many other options first. This lengthens, separates, and volumizes all in one tube. I actually prefer the waterproof as it holds the curl better for me. I work 12 hour shifts and this lasts without clumping and fading. Maybelline mascaras tend to work as well or better than high end mascaras for me. I've tried the Balm, Benefit Bad Gal and They're Real, Clinique High Impact, Dior, UD, Lancome, MAC, and many more and I still come back to Maybelline.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was excited to try this, because in general, I really like Maybelline mascaras.

But, my first few uses I was not so much impressed. It really does seperate and define lashes, but volumize? eh, not so much. I prefer thicker formulas that really bulk up the lashes. To call this volumizing is kinda misleading in my opinion.

That being said, one this I have learned about mascaras over the years is you really have to give them a fair shot because they change after they've been used a few times. So I kept using it, and after about 2 weeks I started to like it more. It still didn't thicken lashes as much as I like, but I really like the nice, clean look it gives. It really does an amazing job separating each lash.

The brush: I really like it. It has those popular rubber bristles, but it's not as humongous as say, CG Lash Blast. The thing I like the most about it is that it tapers down to really small at the end, unlike Lash Blast that just stops and has a flat edge. It means I can get into all the small areas like the inner corners and the lower lashes. I usually have issues with those big brushes on my small eyes and I often make a mess when applying. This one I have no problems with. I typically like to spend a long time on my mascara, layering it up and being very slow & careful about my application, but if I am in a hurry I can feel confident that I can do a quick swipe this this and will have no messes or disasters on my my hands. It that sense it a really reliable mascara.

Waterproof: I used to really avoid waterproof mascaras because they make my already whimpy lashes fall out and are hard to remove. This stuff really does lash and lash. It does not smudge at all. In fact, the other night I feel asleep before removing my makeup and was shocked that the mascara really didn't smudge mush at all.. impressive...

How I like to use it: As I said before, I like really thick formulas because I like that really big lash look, so I use 1 by 1 over another mascara that thickens better (like prestige my biggest lashes) and then put a coat of this over it. The brush seperates, and it gives a waterproof coating over it. The thing I love the most about this, however, is how it works on my bottom lashes! I used to swear off of botttom lash mascara, too, because I would have so many issues with it smearing, or being hard to apply. I was about to buy the Clinique bottom lash mascara, but I am more then satisfied with this and no longer feel the need. The little bristles on the ends of the wand catch the lower lashes without getting messy and it does not smear at all - even in 100+ hot windy weather we've been having this summer. And, the best part, it removes easily with make up remover at night and I have not lost any lashes in the 2 months or so I have been using this! I know people say they have trouble removing this. Maybe that's because I use an oil based make up remover.

Overall, this is a great mascara that is clump free, easy to apply, long wearing and smudge free and I really like it.. another favorite mascara from Maybelline! Love it.

Bewear!! Do not get the 'black lace' water proof one. I bought it as a replacement and it never dried and would smear and smudge like crazy!! But because its waterproof it was hard to clean up or even wash off. Its terrible