Silk Naturals Vitamin C Peptide Serum

Silk Naturals Vitamin C Peptide Serum

3.9

Distilled Water, Tamarind Seed Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, White Tea Extract, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose , Sodium PCA, Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate, Panthenol

on 8/5/2017 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Below are my comparison reviews of the Silk Naturals magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (Vitamin C) serums. I am cross-posting this to each of the individual serum review areas:

Super Serum: Contains 3% MAP and niacinamide. Texture is a viscous fluid. Only a few drops are needed to cover the entire face and neck. The product is easily spread, which minimal pulling, although I found it better to rub hands together and pat on skin. Super Serum is fragrance-free but does have a strong niacinamide scent, which is borderline between B-vitamins and an ashtray. Ultimately I found it to be a bit too strong for my facial skin--I had signs of irritation within a couple of days of use. However, it has been great on hands when applied in the morning under sunscreen. The serum absorbs very quickly, and is a tad tacky. However, the tacky finish is quite good for layering under sunscreen, and does not create any issues of poor absorption for subsequent skin care layers. When used on face, it did not add any oilyness to my skin, and did not cause increased oil production throughout the day. If I could use this serum, I would, because it has everything I want in a Vitamin C product. Thankfully, there are other great Silk Naturals serums to choose from!

Mama's Helper: Contains 5.5% MAP. Texture is somewhat like natural aloe vera gel found in the health food store. This product needs to be spread on face very quickly because it absorbs and dries fast. The hand-rubbing and patting method did not work well. I had an immediate skin-tightening sensation when using this serum. It was uncomfortably tight, and the tightness was not relieved by putting moisturizing sunscreen over it. In fact, Mama's helper was not great for layering, and sometimes would pill, lift or flake when worn under sunscreen. On the plus side, its high MAP is great for fading sun spots and my skin was not irritated by this formula. I would consider this serum for its high MAP concentration, if I could get it to layer with my other skincare products.

Awesome Sauce: Contains 3% MAP. Has a gel texture similar to Mama's Helper. Although it has some oil in it, I found it equally skin-tightening as Mama's Helper, but with a bit less issue of dryness and product pilling / flaking. It has a strange, but natural, scent that smelled a bit like fermenting melon. It did not make me more oily or increase oil production through the day, even with my combination normal to oily skin. Even though Awesome Sauce is similar in texture to Mama's Helper, I didn't enjoy using it as much due to the strange scent. I also find the claim for dry, aging skin to be a bit strange since it wasn't great at hydrating, and the skin-tightening effect was uncomfortable. If I had to pick between the two gel-texture serums, I would probably get Mama's Helper rather than Awesome Sauce.

Facelift: Contains 3% MAP. Has a viscous fluid texture similar to Super Serum, but is a much simpler formula. Worked well patting on skin, absorbed quickly and left slight tacky finish like Super Serum. I found it to be non-irritating, and if scent is any indication, Facelift has a good dollop of skin-beneficial peptides. It worked very well under other skin care products, did not make me more oily, but also did not dry out my skin or make it tight. I really liked Facelift, and although I wish I could use Super Serum, I found Facelift to be equally easy to use while still having a good percentage of MAP.

Vitamin C Peptide: Contains 3% MAP. Has a viscous fluid texture similar to Super Serum and Facelift, and is the simplest vitamin C serum formula available at Silk Naturals. Like Facelift, application and finish was similar, and this serum was completely non-irritating, even a bit soothing. Like Super Serum and Facelift, it was great layered under sunscreen. I feel a little bad that I don't have much more to say about Vitamin C Peptide, because it is a quite charming, non-pretentious product with an effective proportion of vitamin C and peptides. I think this is a great place to start for anybody who has very sensitive skin, since its formula omits many known irritants. And of course, sometimes simpler is just better!

on 3/5/2015 3:26:00 PM

I've only been using this serum for two weeks, so it's still early days but I will update this after a few months.

First off, the price is great. SN sells samples pretty cheaply, and it took me two weeks to finish two of them with twice-daily use. I use this in the morning under my sunscreen, and while it isn't super moisturizing on its own, it doesn't actively dry me out like my sunscreen does. It makes my skin super smooth and after two weeks I have less redness (my nose is usually bright red, now just pink, yay!) and my skin looks over-all brighter. At night I use this after cleansing with Cerave, wait fifteen minutes, use Stridex and then moisturize - this routine has really improved the appearance of my blackheads and sebaceous filaments, and I have fewer bumps on my forehead and chin.

As for wrinkles, I'll have to update on that later - I have some fine lines at the corners of my eyes and recently sagging eyelids, so I'm hoping this will help with those.

on 5/13/2013 10:57:00 AM

The best c I have ever used. Made my skin smooth and plump after about a couple of weeks and it was very gentle. I have very sensitive skin and this really worked for me. Fairly priced.

on 3/20/2013 1:00:00 PM

This serum is called Facelift Vitamin C, DMAE & Peptide serum on the website. I am finishing up the sample of this serum which was often recommended on the skincare board.

If you read my long winded skin history below, you can see that I had my skin back on track from a worrisome bumpiness/acne-like reaction to dehydration. But, up until now, I have never had lines around my eyes and I am just turning 35. Also, my forehead is starting to show a few tiny creases and the bridge of my nose seems a bit crinkly. I wanted something beyond moisture. I got a sample of this serum and a few others for super cheap and my skin has shown a lot of improvement.

This serum is being used daily in the morning and I am using the Super Serum at night. After the Super Serum, I wake up to super smooth and soothed skin. I do not feel the same about the Facelift Serum, but it might be that a restful sleep versus a super stressful day might be responsible for the difference. However, I feel, for whatever reason it is hard to describe that this serum is making a difference. The overall texture of my skin is amazing and I have nary a bump in sight. Since I am using the two serums together, it is hard to pin point which one is doing what, but my dark scars are fading and I feel like very slowly the fine lines around my eyes are getting a bit better.

I like the description of actives that are on the website since they make me feel like I am doing "something" to combat ageing and I LOVE that none of it irritates my skin in the least. I also like that the SuperSerum and the FaceLift serum have different stuff so hopefully I am going at those pesky lines with both guns blazing. I am putting my $$ where my mouth is and ordering a full size for me and a sample size for my mother in law.

My skin history: I was having issues with my skin after being acne free for about 5 years (I used to have large cysts that lasted for months and then left nasty dark scars that eventually turned into pits. I cleared my skin by researching acne.org and using green tea toner, tea tree oil, burts bees radiance serum (discontinued), purpose redness reducing lotion spf 30 (discontinued) and slept with calamine lotion mask (pink stuff) at night. It took several months, but the calamine lotion especially killed the cysts and healed the skin. I would highly recommend.). Recently, was having skin colored bumps, not really fully blown acne, but they were persistent and made my skin quality look terrible. So, I tried the list of stuff that worked before and it was not quite working. I tried many new products since my old stuff was discontinued and everything new did not work, made it worse, or only worked for a day or two. Finally, I just put some of my cetaphil cream on my face one night and expected to wake up with a face that looked like pizza. Image my surprise when my face was so much better in the morning. Then I got it -- it was not acne -- my face was super dehydrated and my pores were enlarged trying to produce enough oil to hydrate my face. Coming from a background of acne and trying to reduce oil, I guess it makes sense I would not recognize dehydrated skin if it (literally) smacked me in the face. From then on, I have been using Cetaphil lotion day and night and it has been amazing. However, I wanted to add something to help especially with overall firmness, the dehydration lines around my eyes, some crinkliness at the bridge of my nose, and the appearance of very fine lines in my forehead. I blame all of these new things on the months of dehydration. Nothing honestly anyone would notice, except maybe around the eyes when I smile, but I have had NO lines until now and I am not happy about the change.

on 2/5/2013 6:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Sadly this broke me out. I can use most skincare and not get spots, but this serum really clogged me up. Otherwise I found it fairly non greasy (but then I didnt use too much) and non irritating. I am glad I only bought a sample!

on 11/28/2012 2:24:00 PM

This made me break out terribly. I went back to my tried-and-true regime, and it's still taken my face several weeks to recover. :( I wish I'd never tried it.

on 7/28/2012 5:44:00 PM

My skin: Dry, sensitive, acne-prone, pale (~NC15), with redness in cheeks and T-zone.

I've tried various other Vit. C Serums (L-AA) which were far to irritating and left my skin raw. I mulled over trying Silk natural's Vit. C Serum for a while before actually purchasing because I had had such bad experiences with Vit. C, but I'm glad I did!

This Vit. C serum is made with MAP which is gentler and more stable than L-AA. I use 2 pumps for face and neck in the morning (to help boost my sunscreen) and at night as well. It doesn't cause any stinging and I can use this any time of day (morning or night). It also doesn't aggravate the redness in my face, has helped to calm down and brighten my skin.

Price & Will I repurchase? Most definitely! One bottle has lasted 2-3 months. The shelf-life is 2-3 months. A 1 oz. blue tinted bottle costs $15.95 (excluding shipping). I wish there was some sort shipping deal because I can see myself repurchasing again and again, but in order to ensure that it's still stable and fresh, I can only order 1 bottle at a time and I'd have to pay for shipping to Canada each time.

Overall: This is a great product and definitely worth of try for those who have sensitive skin or are looking for a gentle Vit. C product.

on 6/3/2012 4:34:00 AM

I ordered a bunch of samples from Silk Naturals out of the recommendation of an another MUA'er. This was the only one I liked. I can not say anything about correcting wrinkles since I used this on my shoulder where I had sun damage (a lot of brown spots). To my amazement the little sample bottle managed to lighten the spots significantly in only a few weeks. It does dry out the skin so I'd suggest some moisturizing lotion on top.

If it's sun damage you want to fix: this stuff works! For that 5 lippies. I'll be ordering the full size bottle and see if I dare to try it on my face. So far all Silk Natural products have caused an allergic reaction on my face, hence why I used this sample on my shoulder only. We'll just have to try and see.

on 3/11/2012 5:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I bought a sample size of this. I didn't care for it. It smelled like stale water and it was incredibly sticky on my face. I couldn't stand it anymore so I rinsed it off. Such a shame. I love the Awesome Sauce serum though!! That's a keeper

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I like this alot. I use it especially after I've been in the sun to help restore my skin. The only reason I wouldn't buy it again is I get the same ingredients + DMAE in the Facelift Serum. Love Silk Naturals products!