e.l.f. Cosmetics Matte Finisher

Price: $

Price: $

on 3/22/2014 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This matte top coat is okay it gives you the matte look however it does not last for long on me it lasted 3 days max and then i had to reapply which is expected with matte top coats they do become more shiny with time. However taking it off is what made me give it a bad rating, it becomes like the hardest rubber on your nails when you try to take it off with polish remover it took me hours to take it off so i ended up peeling it off my nails lol, I haven't had this problem with the other drugstore matte top coats i have used. Anyways it's not worth the effort for just a couple days of matte-ness, shiny nails are still prettier.

on 3/28/2012 11:47:00 AM

I love this stuff! At first I wasn't entirely convinced about the matte look so I bought this as a cheap way of trying it out. I do love glossy nail varnish but some shades can look better in matte. This stuff is a great consistency, goes on smoothly and dries super quick. It doesn't alter the colour of your nail varnish when you paint it on (unless you put on a really thick coat of it) and is really cheap at 1.50.

I wasn't too impressed with my bottle when I first got it though, it looked like part of the inside of the lid had been shaved off and the little bits ended up in my bottle. This hasn't affected it in any way, it's just a bit annoying. I would buy this again though :)

Absolutely love this product! I put it on my nails when they are semi dry and it dries instantly speeding up the whole "waiting around for your nails to dry" which is a great benefit.
It looks great and creates a unique look. It is also good to put over glitter based nail varnishes, it makes them look more grown up as some glitter polishes do tend to look 'childish'.
Im hooked and would defiantly buy again!

I love this polish! It gives such a nice unique finish. When my nails are semi dry, I put this on top and my whole nail takes about 10 seconds to dry. It's amazing, I will definitely repurchase this.

on 10/30/2011 12:36:00 AM

This is a great matte top coat. But I have found a much better use for it.
I use this as a base coat to "grip" the nail polish and it makes my manicures wear like iron. If you have this, or any matte top coat, I encourage you to give it a try as a base coat. Don't forget to wrap your tips for extra long wear!

on 7/23/2011 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I LOVE this top coat, its perfect for me as i'm constantly changing my nail colours to match outfits etc. I paid 1.50 from the UK website and it was 100% worth it, E.L.F products are fab and really worth the money

on 4/17/2011 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This product was a huge disappointment for me. It had so many wonderful reviews on E.L.F's website, so I decided to purchase it. Oh what a let down.

Packaging:
It's a love hate relationship with how E.L.F packages their products. The problem is that for most of my the polishes I own from them the top of the bottle (the part you hold when polishing your nails) DOES NOT align with the bottle it self when I twist it back on. I have no idea why it does this but it just does. And because it doesn't align properly my item leaked while on it's way to me. Nothing to complain over because it was only $1 and it was an easy clean up.

Product:
The product is really 'goopey' and goes on the nail very thick because of this it takes a while for it to dry completely. After about a month of owning the product I noticed it was starting to separate, the bottom half of the bottle was cloudy substance and the top half stayed clear. I wanted to use it so I shook it up and the whole bottle became cloudy. I proceeded to apply it to my nails, let try and MY NAILS CRACKLED in white (yes like the OPI Shatter, but in white!)! I immediately took off my polish.

The product went back to it's half cloudy and half clear state.

Overall, I'm seriously disappointed in E.L.F and I wish it would've worked out because I would loved that it was just $1, but sadly it didn't.

on 3/26/2011 12:51:00 PM

This is a great product that literally doubles your nail polish wardrobe. This matte finisher is basically a top coat you can use to mattify any nail shade you already have. I had been coveting the Essie matte top coat for a while, but it cost $8-$9, which I was a little hesitant to spend, especially since I might not necessarily use it that often. Luckily, I discovered ELF's equivalent. I got this for $0.40 during their anniversary sale over the summer and I'm quite impressed.

It makes you nails matte and it doesn't end up giving you a crackled effect. It's very smooth and gives nail a velvety effect. It's a very sophisticated look! For such a cheap price, even at $1, it's definitely worth a try. Since matte nail polishes do tend to chip faster than regular polish, don't expect to get a week of wear from this. However, I do find that if I start off a manicure with regular polish and apply this matte topcoat a couple of days into the wear before the nail polish starts to chip, I can get an extra 2 days of wear out of this.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this if you want to try the matte trend. It's very inexpensive and allows you to experiment with many different looks!

Popular Top/Base Coats