e.l.f. Matte Finisher

Price: $

Price: $

on 9/9/2013 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm confused, why does this have such high rating?

Ok, honest review: not worth the money.
I got it couple of month ago and it was my first matt top coat I ever bought. I was never quite sure if that was supposed to look like that, but after trying it several times more I can honestly say it's horrible.
All the cons:
- it's streaky, even when I tried to apply it very carefully it tended to create streaks.
- not matt, it had really no matt finish at all! I could have lived with all the other things if it at least were matt, but not at all. Actually, if you rubbed your finger over the nail a couple of time, it turned again shiny like it was before applying the top coat
- it had a horrible strong smell!

If you're looking for cheap and great matt top coats, I really recommend the essence or catrice one! I have the essence one and my nails look like pure porcelain (and cost me only 0,99EUR) :)

on 4/17/2013 7:00:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Absolute horrible!
WIll not buy again. It's streaky, chalky looks horrible and crackles.

This goes in the bin. Luckyli it was very cheap.

will try Essies instead.

on 2/3/2013 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

What a disappointment! After reading all the good reviews I joined their notification when this top coat restocks, and I bought it immediately when they did. I guess they changed the formula or something, because now it just crackles when it dries (like crackle polish does). That was not what I wanted.

on 4/17/2011 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This product was a huge disappointment for me. It had so many wonderful reviews on E.L.F's website, so I decided to purchase it. Oh what a let down.

Packaging:
It's a love hate relationship with how E.L.F packages their products. The problem is that for most of my the polishes I own from them the top of the bottle (the part you hold when polishing your nails) DOES NOT align with the bottle it self when I twist it back on. I have no idea why it does this but it just does. And because it doesn't align properly my item leaked while on it's way to me. Nothing to complain over because it was only $1 and it was an easy clean up.

Product:
The product is really 'goopey' and goes on the nail very thick because of this it takes a while for it to dry completely. After about a month of owning the product I noticed it was starting to separate, the bottom half of the bottle was cloudy substance and the top half stayed clear. I wanted to use it so I shook it up and the whole bottle became cloudy. I proceeded to apply it to my nails, let try and MY NAILS CRACKLED in white (yes like the OPI Shatter, but in white!)! I immediately took off my polish.

The product went back to it's half cloudy and half clear state.

Overall, I'm seriously disappointed in E.L.F and I wish it would've worked out because I would loved that it was just $1, but sadly it didn't.

on 3/22/2014 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This matte top coat is okay it gives you the matte look however it does not last for long on me it lasted 3 days max and then i had to reapply which is expected with matte top coats they do become more shiny with time. However taking it off is what made me give it a bad rating, it becomes like the hardest rubber on your nails when you try to take it off with polish remover it took me hours to take it off so i ended up peeling it off my nails lol, I haven't had this problem with the other drugstore matte top coats i have used. Anyways it's not worth the effort for just a couple days of matte-ness, shiny nails are still prettier.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product is fantastic! As the previous reviewer said it practically doubles your nail polish collection! I always wanted to try matte polishes but feared I might not like them and end up wasting money on a shade I would rarely use so when this came out I wanted to try it. I posted a pic of it myself see pics above.

The product is meant to look kind of matte and murky looking. I apply it after 2 coats of my fave OPI nail polish and it instantly starts to dry without removing any of the colour. You see the effect instantly as it starts to dry turning the polish into a matte one. The effect is practically instantaneous and quick drying! I actually find that it works great as a rapid drying top coat for matte nails! I love the effect it gives.

The only downside to it which is why I did not give it a 5 lipstick rating is that it tends to wear off after a day or 2 and I find that I have to reapply a coat of it to achieve the full matte effect once again but a little really goes a long way! It is not sticky or lumpy at all, it glides easily on the nail polish and I don't use much of it. One coat gives an excellent matte effect for at least a day or 2 I would say. One last negative thing I noticed is that (since I presume, it works by drying out the nail varnish?), the nail polish tends to chip away quicker than it usually does when I don't use it.

All in all I would recommend it to those who like me, wish to try out Matte nail polish but are not too sure about it... this finisher gives you the chance to try it on any colour you have ;) I have restocked on it in fact already!

on 3/26/2011 12:51:00 PM

This is a great product that literally doubles your nail polish wardrobe. This matte finisher is basically a top coat you can use to mattify any nail shade you already have. I had been coveting the Essie matte top coat for a while, but it cost $8-$9, which I was a little hesitant to spend, especially since I might not necessarily use it that often. Luckily, I discovered ELF's equivalent. I got this for $0.40 during their anniversary sale over the summer and I'm quite impressed.

It makes you nails matte and it doesn't end up giving you a crackled effect. It's very smooth and gives nail a velvety effect. It's a very sophisticated look! For such a cheap price, even at $1, it's definitely worth a try. Since matte nail polishes do tend to chip faster than regular polish, don't expect to get a week of wear from this. However, I do find that if I start off a manicure with regular polish and apply this matte topcoat a couple of days into the wear before the nail polish starts to chip, I can get an extra 2 days of wear out of this.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this if you want to try the matte trend. It's very inexpensive and allows you to experiment with many different looks!

on 7/21/2012 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Been looking for a matte topcoat for a while and didn't want to spend 7 on the Essie one in case I didn't like it, Saw the elf one and purchased it for 1.50 just to try out the matte look. I love this so much! It works so well! Theres no reason for me to even buy the Essie one now because this is so good, will repurchase when I run out. Everyone should buy it just to try it!

on 3/28/2012 11:47:00 AM

I love this stuff! At first I wasn't entirely convinced about the matte look so I bought this as a cheap way of trying it out. I do love glossy nail varnish but some shades can look better in matte. This stuff is a great consistency, goes on smoothly and dries super quick. It doesn't alter the colour of your nail varnish when you paint it on (unless you put on a really thick coat of it) and is really cheap at 1.50.

I wasn't too impressed with my bottle when I first got it though, it looked like part of the inside of the lid had been shaved off and the little bits ended up in my bottle. This hasn't affected it in any way, it's just a bit annoying. I would buy this again though :)

on 2/18/2012 7:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this product, cost only 1.50 and it does exactly what you want it to do.
After applying a base coat, and two coats of a nail polish, you just apply it on top and watch it turn your nails matte. It dries pretty quickly and works just as well as high end brand ones i have tried in the past.