COOLA SPF 30 Cucumber Mineral Matte Sunblock

COOLA  SPF 30 Cucumber Mineral Matte Sunblock

3.1

Aluminum Hydroxide, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Organic), Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract (Organic), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin (Organic), Hydrogen Dimethicone, Isopropyl Myristate, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Oil (Organic), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil (Organic), Plankton Extract, Polyamide-5, Polysilicone-11, Propylene Carbonate, Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Fruit Oil (Organic), Silica Silylate, Stearalkonium Hectorite

on 5/16/2018 7:20:00 PM

This is a wonderfully light sunscreen with a mousse-like texture. It is white but disappears completely on the skin--more than any sunscreen I've tried. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with my combo skin, and broke me out. I think it's the silicones or shea butter/plant oils--it has 3. Also it blends in so well I worry it is not giving enough protection.
Back to Paula's Choice ss!

on 4/16/2018 11:55:00 PM

NO!!!! feels like grease and my make up looked AWFUL!!!!!!

on 1/13/2018 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my first mineral sunscreen. I was using La Roche Posay Anthelios Ultra Fluid prior to this which is roughly the same size but less expensive. Its $29CAD compared to Coola which is $48CAD. That is an AMAZING sunscreen but I'm no longer using chemical sunscreens so I didn't repurchase. LRP does have a mineral option but so far I've only been able to find the tinted or "for face & body" options. Until i can find the non tinted for face only I will continue to use the Coola.

I do like this sunscreen and its FAR from being a bad product but for me there are a couple cons. I'll give the good first. The biggest PRO is that it's black girl friendly. I have a medium brown complexion and while it does show up white upon initial contract with my skin, it doesn't leave a white cast after rubbing it in. It goes on very nicely, is smooth and absorbs to a matte finish with no greasy feel. However, you can definitely tell there is dimethicone in it. That could be a con if you dont like the feel of dimethicone. For me, it's okay. After three weeks of every day use it hasn't harmed my skin, broke me out or caused any rashes.

I love that this is a natural sunscreen with awesome ingredients, is cruelty free and that proceeds from their sales goes to cancer research. Way to go, Coola!

All that good being said, my biggest issue with it is that I find despite this going on matte initially with no greasy feel, I am oily within the hour. I'm sure it's the product contributing to this because when I'm at home and don't use it my skin isn't oily as when i do. I'm sure it's the shea butter in the ingredients. As much as i love shea butter it's been known to make me oily in the past. I currently use this with my moisturizer underneath. I will try to use this alone to see if it helps with or cuts down on the oilyness. I hope this isnt indicative of ALL mineral sunscreens. I dont want to be forced to use chemical sunscreens because my skin tolerates them better for oil production :( Eventually I'll try another mineral sunscreen so that I have something to compare it to.

For right now using this in the winter is fine. Even though it's cold outside, the sun is still super bright and because I'm working hard to fade some hyperpigmentation on my face with vitamin c and glycolic acid, sunscreen is necessary.

2 lippies taken off for the price and the oilyness it causes me.

I do worry what this would be like in the summer. I'd probably be an oil slick. Lol. I'll have to wait and see.

on 11/7/2016 4:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

So this is only my first day using this but I'm so encouraged! This is moisturizing, mattifying, soothing sun protection. It's mineral but has no white cast due to the tint. I wa was a bit worried because the tint looked pretty orange (I am very fair but olive so most foundations look a more orange on me)but it is sheer enough that it didn't matter. It's also unscented and so far my *very* sensitive and acne prone skin has had no reaction to this.

Pros
-moisturizing but mattifying
-layers well under foundation (I use Sappho)
-no white cast
-no clogged pores, breakouts or hives
-feels soothing

Cons
-pricey!

I am going to keep using this throughout the week but this is shaping up to be my HG sunscreen!

UPDATE: I've been using this almost daily for over a week now and so far I've had no increase in breakouts since I started using it.

on 7/30/2016 9:52:00 AM

Easy to apply, easy to wear, it truly is a matte finish, which is rare,
BUT it made me break out.
Love it anyway? Crazy woman!

There are a lot of great aspects to this product but ultimately the cons outweighed the pros for me. I really love the idea of a lightweight matte sunscreen, but for my skin I found it to actually be too matte. The white tint is very minimal but my skin still looked lifeless after applying it. I also found it very drying. It's fine if I apply moisturizer beforehand, but I'd rather have a one step product. It's really a shame because I love the crazy smooth way it goes on your skin, and that's it's natural and not tested on animals. I think it may work better on truly oily skin (mine is combo).

on 4/9/2015 2:27:00 PM

I have the Rose tint, which is great and I would definitely repurchase that one. However, this one turns me purple, which is unfortunate because it is very nice, doesn't break me out and applies very smoothly.

Usually fragrances in skincare irritates me, however this cucumber one is mild and doesn't give me any problems.

Mousse like texture. Matte finish. But has a white cast. I have fair skin with yellow undertone and this makes me even whiter (although it is not so far as scary ghostly white). The white tint of the sunscreen makes my flaky/dry skin look horrible. So, I have to exfoliate my face before putting this on.

I have oily/combination skin. That is, I get really oily in my T zone, but my cheeks are normal. This was listed as a top moisturizer by paula's choice, but with a matte finish, good-for-skin ingredients and significant spf. I don't think I would go so far to call this a moisturizer, though.

I wanted a product that filled the roles of a moisturizer with spf and a mattifying makeup primer. Even with my oily skin, I prefer to spray my face with a hydrating rose toner first, then I apply this to my t-zone and put a regular spf moisturizer on my cheeks. This is a great combination for me: it keeps my skin matte for much longer than without it and feels very nice going on. I do not stay matte all day and need to repowder once, but that's worlds better than the multiple re-powdering I had been doing before.

It is a bit expensive for the amount that you get, but I will still probably get it again.

on 3/16/2014 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Titanium and zinc dioxide based sunblock which is great and has primrose oil. It's a nice sunblock, definitely something luxurious but I did not feel this did anything significantly more than any other sunblock : /

I cannot see myself spending $36 bucks on sunblock....I think this is seriously overpriced because tons of mineral foundations etc sell sunblock for way less.

This is mouse-like and feels very light and airy. No oily texture or weird smell. I just cannot spend this kind of $$ on something so basic.