LUSH Ocean Salt

LUSH Ocean Salt
Ocean SaltOcean Salt

Fine Sea Salt (Sodium Chloride), Fresh Grapefruit Infusion (Citrus grandis), Coarse Sea Salt (Sodium Chloride), Stearic Acid, Fresh Lime Extracted in Vodka (Citrus aurantifolia), Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Glycol Cetearate, Triethanolamine, Fresh Avocado Butter (Persea gratissima), Coconut Fat (Cocos nucifera), Lime Oil (Citrus aurantifolia), Seaweed Absolute (Fucus vesiculosus), Violet Leaf Absolute (Viola odorata), Glycerine, Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, FD&C Blue No. 1, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Soo, in my opinion, this totally takes the title of "Ultimate Worst Overhyped Product - Probably of All Time." After reading about Lush's Ocean Salt scrub on bestproducts.com, I got suckered into trying it. I purchased the "self preserving" version, which the guy at Lush said was the same as the original version. Let me tell you why it's awful: It barely offers any exfoliation. The product is *mostly* a creamy base with too-little salt mixed in. Seriously, rubbing it on my skin felt very similar to putting on lotion in the shower! Also, the vodka smell is borderline overpowering. Imagine if you poured a glass of vodka, then added a splash of lime juice, and that is the smell you're going to get. I'm guessing the original (non-self preserving) version might smell less alcoholic - the vodka seems to be the preservative. Lastly, I paid $42 US (after a 6% sales tax) for one 8 oz tub. Un. Fricking. Believable. Store-bought body scrubs are kind of a waste of money to begin with (yes, even the $7 ones at Ulta), just because they are SO easy to make yourself at home with 2 ingredients and 5 minutes. To spend $42 on something that doesn't even do the job of a half-a$$ homemade scrub with olive oil and sugar or salt is beyond outrageous. Next time I'm too lazy to mix my own scrub, I'll go to Ulta and buy 6 (SIX) jars of scrub for the price of ONE Lush scrub (oh, and each jar would be bigger, too!). I honestly think people are just fangirling Ocean Salt because it's Lush...there are no redeeming qualities other than the brand name. This junk looks nothing like the photos, smells nothing like the description, and is overall just sad and depressing.

on 2/2/2017 11:38:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

The first time I ever used this I got a sample of the regular stuff and then I bought a container of it. I found it was really harsh on my skin, so I went into LUSH and I asked them about it. I get it's an product meant to exfoliate but it was really hard on my sensitive skin. The staff mentioned that they have the Self Preserving version, and offered to exchange the regular one I bought for this one. I found it was so much easier on my skin.

I was in LUSH a couple days ago and the SA I was speaking with advised me to actually put it over top of Ultra Bland when I wash my face at night instead of just using it on naked skin. I started - and I've only done it a couple times since I only use the product every 3rd day - doing that and it's made a big difference. I find it still exfoliates but it's a lot more gentle on my skin. I never thought of using it together but it's a great idea and so far it's amazing.

I really like this product overall, but the price is iffy for me. Since I only use it every 3rd day the container lasts me a long time but when I run out I always cringe that I have to buy a new one. I appreciate all LUSH products I use, really, but this is the one product I feel is kind of overpriced for what it is. That being said, I obviously continue to use it so it doesn't bother me that much I just like to find something to complain about. It's definitely a product I am happy with, works for my skin and I will more than likely continue to purchase. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who uses an exfoliator as part of their regular skin care routine as it smells really great and it works - it gently exfoliates and leaves my skin feeling amazing afterwards. Just be prepared to pay more for the volume than a regular face cleanser or wash at LUSH. I think it is almost $40CAD for a 250g container.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wanted to love this, so I got a sample of both the regular formula and the self preserving one. To me, the ingredients sound super harsh and more gimmicky than they were beneficial but I figured a small test patch would be okay. It does exfoliate but it's far too harsh and pore clogging for me.

Unfortunately both formulas broke me out after just one use, so I have nothing else positive to add except to save your black jars if you happen to like it a lot. You can trade them in for free face masks when you save enough of them.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This product may be great for some people but it scratches my face and leaves me with red patches. Also I don't really like the sent of this product ether.

on 1/17/2017 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

The vodka smell is terrible! way to harsh on skin

on 1/16/2017 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This was the first Lush product I ever purchased and I initially thought I wasn't going to like it. I wasn't blown away with it in stores, but I'm not sure why I bought it anyway. However, I am so glad I did. I LOVE this stuff. I bought this at a time when I was struggling with acne issues, and because I had never had acne issues before, I didn't know what kind of skincare would suit my skin. All the drugstore options I purchased did nothing for me and I really wanted to try something with less chemicals. This did more for clearing up my skin in one use than those drugstore options did for me in weeks of use. This cleanses really nicely and deeply. You can feel this product cleaning out your skin. The exfoliation is fine, my skin (when in need of exfoliation) requires a more finely milled exfoliator (I make a homemade olive oil and sugar scrub that works great). When I rinse this off, my skin looks so healthy and glowy. When I run out, I am definitely repurchasing.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

While i love lush, this products just didnt really work for me. Some salt pieces are too big so scratch your face. Also if i leave it on for too long it irritates my skin. However it does leave my skin pretty soft and matte- looking after. When i use it up I'll try purchasing the alcohol-free version to see if it's any better.

on 12/17/2016 7:47:00 PM

I love lushs scrubs, i only use this and rub rub. First when I bought it like a year ago i didint like the scent and i didint like the big chunks of salt (i assume theyre salt). Always when I fake that, the day before i exfoliate my skin with this, and my fake tan last longer. Also before i shave i exfoliate woth this or rubrub. I do tent to use rubrub for my armpits and bikiniarea because its not so harsh. I dont use this on my face either, i feel it would just harm it more than help it. The scent is still not my favourite (rub rub smells much better) but ive gotten used to it now, and ive repurchashed this for 3 times. It does run out quit fast, and lushs pots are not that hygienic but back to lush is great!

on 11/24/2016 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I love this scrub! I have been hearing good stuff about it for a while and some time ago I purchased it. It's really effective and makes my skin really soft, which is all I really want from a scrub. Also, another thing I like, is that it makes me feel really refreshed after using it unlike other scrubs I have used which sometimes would make me feel sticky for some reason. As other people have pointed out, I would not use this on my face. I have sensitive skin in general, but my body can handle this scrub. The skin on my face however can not. The exfoliating "bits" are way to harsh to use on my face, but again for my body it is great :) Will definitely buy again.

on 11/11/2016 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I would not recommend this for people looking for a good face scrub. The product itself is okay as a body scrub but way too abrasive and harsh for face. Sure it makes your face soft as a baby's bottom but I don't see such a harsh product being good for skin on the longer term. My skin surely was not happy about the extreme treatment it was receiving and I ended up using it solely for my body.

I think that black angels is a much better option as it performs just as well as this product but doesn't destroy your skin in the process.