Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock, SPF 50

Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock, SPF 50
Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock, SPF 50

3.3

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 5%, Zinc Oxide 3% Inactive Ingredients: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Trisiloxane, Dimethicone, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Diisostearate/Polyhydroxystearate/Sebacate, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Bisabolol, Magnesium Sulfate, Caprylyl Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, BHT

on 8/3/2017 12:43:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I'm going to write this review in segments to see how this fares against this brand's Pure & Free Baby sunscreen. I'm hoping to compare the two since the Baby sunscreen is the only sunscreen I can use that doesn't break me out or burn my eyes, but it has so many other problems.

Consistency
Day1: I almost didn't buy this because some reviewers described it as "gritty" . One reviewer stated that they shook the bottle really well and they had no issues. It does indeed say to do that on the package instructions. So I shook it well on the first use and experienced no grit whatsoever. The formula is liquid and creamy. I prefer this over Neutrogena Baby Sunscreen because with that product I usually end up with too much sunscreen coming out--it's so thick and gloppy and the dispenser hole is too large.

Irritants
Day1: On first use, I found this more irritating around the eyes than the Neutrogena Baby which doesn't irritate at all (it became pronounced post application, my left eye is weeping, but that could ve an eyeliner mishap so we will see). Compared to chemical sunscreens it's not so bad.

Packaging
Day 1: That brings me to the packaging. I really love this. It's quite a small amount at 1.4 fluid ounces ($12), but at least it fits well in your purse. The lid is very tight and molded around the dispenser, which has a tiny pinhead sized opening so you can squeeze out just the right amount of liquid.

Texture/look
Day1: This is where it really shines over the Neutrogena Baby. That product is thick and greasy as hell. It's very hard to rub in. This liquid glides on, and is only faintly greasy (I have slightly oily skin). You don't have to rub nearly as much to try to dissipate the cast. Be warned, though that this does leave a white cast. However, it is miniscule compared to the ghost face that you get from Neutrogena Baby. With that product I had pile on so much face powder to make my face look like a normal color. With this I just needed a light dusting.

Comedagenic?
Day 1. TBD. All skin is different so I can only report on what this will do to my particular skin type.

Value:
Day 1: At $12 for 1.4 oz (Walgreens.com), this is quite pricey for a sunscreen. I do intend to use it only on my face, and the packaging lets you dispense tiny controlled amounts, so we'll see how long this lasts.

on 5/25/2017 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I had just found the perfect sunscreen for my skin, and it became discontinued. I bought Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid SPF 50 in my search for a replacement. The pros: the fluid itself is very elegant, not as drying as other physical sunscreens, is easy to apply, and is not as siliconey as other fluid sunscreens I have tried. It is free of fragrance and dyes / pigments, and has a fairly simple formula that is very mild and non-irritating. It can be easily layered over a light moisturizer, and generally dries pretty quickly. The finish is somewhat matte, but not chalky. The cons: a "machine oil" silicone smell is present in this product, although is not as bad as I have smelled in other fluid sunscreens such as LRP and Exuviance. The real deal-breaker--this product leaves a terrible white cast when applied properly. I suspect it would benefit from a bit of tint, but even tinted sunscreens of this ilk don't look great on my skin. I probably won't repurchase, but would recommend trying it if your skin is very pale or if you intend to apply makeup on top of it. As far as performance goes, I have no complaints.

on 6/18/2016 4:58:00 PM

I have a suspicion this was reformulated sometime in the past year. This was my go-to for ages, then I switched to a similar, more cosmetically elegant product from Clarins, which was discontinued. Back to Pure and Free. It's super-gritty and the previously totally matte, totally unobtrusive base is now emollient enough that it breaks up during the day and oxidizes my foundation. I thought I was imagining it, but I definitely have some redness on my chest from about 40 minutes of sun exposure yesterday, but none on my face, where I'd used Mineral Veil first. Not sure if it was the SPF in Mineral Veil that protected my face or if the barrier kept the liquid from breaking up on my face but not on my chest. I'm not thrilled with discovering that I need to prime a sunscreen before I run out for errands, though.

on 6/11/2016 11:37:00 AM

I really like this for use when I'm going to be outside. It completely protects my skin and dries down to a matte finish. It has never stung when it's gotten into my eyes from sweat either - a major plus. The only thing I don't love is the white cast it leaves on my skin, but that's to be expected with any physical sun product. And it helps me make sure I've applied it everywhere.

on 10/2/2016 7:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was in a love-hate relationship with this sunscreen. I am on my second tube, but I already know that I will pass it to a friend and will NOT repurchase it.

First of all, I got the product because of the minimal ingredients list (''pure and free'') and because it is a physical sunscreen (I am allergic to chemical ones). I purchased my first bottle from Amazon because the product is not available in the UK in store. The consistency was bad, it was gritty and rough on my skin as if I was applying a face scrub even though I shook the bottle for ages. But I overlooked that because I liked how lightweight the product felt, it was easy to blend, fragrance free and did not irritate my sensitive skin.

Because of that goodness, I got my second bottle. This time the consistency of the liquid was excellent - smooth and runny as it should be. But for some reason, this sunscreen started breaking me out - little colourless bumps all over my forehead and around my nose. At first I thought that maybe something else was wrong with my skincare routine, so I stopped using everything new and got back to my old products which I used to use in combination with this sunscreen. Unfortunately, the breakouts persisted despite the fact that I had eliminated all possible causes.

I am sorry to have to pass this sunscreen to a friend, I liked it at first and it was working well, but for being pure and free it should not have messed up with my skin.

i thought perhaps it was only my bottle, as sometimes that is the case, but no the fornula of this sunscreen is very gritty, i feel like im scrubbing my face, not something i like in my daytime products. I normally prefer mineral sunscreens over chemical but the texture is too hard to get over. it also says its water resistant, but I really don't think so, bc conpared to others, after a sweat session, i see and feel it sliding off as my sweat drips down. other truly water resistant sunscreen do not have that effect on me since i bought this during a bogo sale, and i can't return it anymore, i will try to use it on my body so that it doesn't go to waste

on 10/30/2015 2:28:00 PM

This left much too much of a white cast on my pale skin. It did not rub in well at all and was very drying. I know this is common for all physical sunscreens, but this was extreme. I would have tried to rub in some tint with it to counter act the white cast, but it was so drying, I did not bother. The consistency is interesting and very liquid (this has a ball or something in it so you shake it like spray paint) but that did not lead to an easy application for me. I have had much better luck with the tinted Elta MD physical and even with the Burn-Out Eco-Sensitive.

I LOVE this product. It is more than a sunscreen to me -- when I use it, I can forego wearing foundation. I used GA Luminous Silk -- very pricey, but it was the best I had found. Even so, after a day of wear, it would congregate into any lines and along flakes, making them look obvious. But after using this sunscreen, followed by a primer, my skin is evenly colored and practically poreless. All I have to do is add a little cream blush and concealer on anything I want to hide (which I had to do with foundation, anyway), and I look flawless for the rest of the day. I even think I look younger, because there is nothing to migrate into lines as there was before. I like that I can get a better result with less stuff to use in my morning routine. Granted, this would probably only work for someone with light skin color, as it DOES have a whitish cast to it. And it IS a bit on the dry side, but since I am that rare bird, an older woman with oily skin, this is actually a benefit. I wear a light moisturizer under it to counteract TOO much dryness. It IS a bit pricey for such a small bottle of sunscreen. But when you consider that by buying an $11 sunscreen, I no longer am buying a $65 foundation, it's more than a fair trade.

on 4/14/2016 9:46:00 PM

i do not like this product at all. i like that it is a physical sunscreen but this formula is not very good. it has a very gritty feel to it that when i rub it into my skin it feels like i am micro exfoliating my face. for this reason i prefer the chemical subscreen formula over this one. :(

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

After trying numerous sunscreens over the years, I've settled on Neutrogena's Pure and Free for everyday use. This is a physical sunscreen, which I've learned through trial and error is the style that makes the most sense for my routine as it involves layering on a fair number of skincare products.

Chemical sunscreens need to go on as the first layer onto clean, bare skin in order to be absorbed properly (other products can interfere with their absorption) and become active. The process takes about 20-30 minutes and until enough time has passed, you will not be protected. I am not a fan of this approach. [EDITED TO ADD 2/10/2016 — total misinformation. I need to edit this section and will soon enough. It was written in good faith but ya know what? Chemical SS should actually go on after skincare and before makeup, just like physical SS. My bad. Sorry, sorry :(. This was written when I was more of a SS noob.]

Physical sunscreens on the other hand are best applied as the *last* step before foundation and other makeup. That's a better fit for my routine. I also like the fact that as soon as you put it on, you're protected.

I wear some kind of serum every day, usually Peter Thomas Roth's PM retinol serum (I know, I know! It even has PM in the name). Conventional wisdom is that retinol-based products shouldn't be worn during the day (and is probably the case with prescription-strength stuff); however, there's enough countervailing information out there regarding daytime use of OTC retinol products that I feel comfortable with this practice.

The PTR serum contains both vitamin C and E, which theoretically should offer additional protection. I prefer this to be the first layer on my skin rather than a sunscreen. Moisturizer goes on right after. Sometimes more than one if I feel like I need it.

So, a physical sunscreen just makes more sense for my routine. I've tried the chemical route before but I was always worried that my other skincare stuff wouldn't be as effective since that's a lot of product for my skin to absorb. I also think that a physical sunscreen does a better job of protecting any sun-sensitive ingredients that might be on my skin from the earlier layers. Basically just trying to get a good balance of skincare and sun-protection!

The tradeoff is that physical sunscreens tend to be less cosmetically elegant. I haven't found one that doesn't have a white cast (at least initially) and frankly, I don't think I would trust one that doesn't. I've actually come to appreciate the white cast as it's a good visual indicator of whether or not I've achieved full-coverage. No white cast? Whoops, missed a spot; lemme go over that area again.

Pure and Free is the best drugstore-priced physical sunscreen I've tried. It's not perfect (it's a bit shiny and has chewed through certain foundations), but I've been happy enough with it that I've repurchased it probably a dozen times. It's probably not the most elegant physical SPF out there, but it's readily available at many drugstores near me, gets the job done and is also moderately priced, though not quite cheap.

Texturally, it's a milky liquid that layers pretty well under makeup. Although it's sheer, I always apply it liberally ' just because it's sheer doesn't mean it's okay to apply the least amount you can get away with! It does have an initial white cast, but that's par for the course.

Let it sink in for about five minutes while you brush your teeth or something, and then rub it in to get it to absorb more fully. As this is designed to be worn under makeup anyway, any remaining white case issues are usually dealt with via foundation. I generally apply a primer with 30 SPF on top of this for extra protection, and then foundation.

FYI, I have very fair skin that burns easily, live in one of the sunniest neighborhoods in San Francisco, and am frequently outside for hours at a time (though seek shade whenever possible). Have not been burned once with this stuff. I trust it.

That said, while I love Pure and Free, I don't love it *so* very much that I'm not open to other options (would love a a physical SPF that is basically the same as this in the same price range but with a more matte finish!). But, if asked for a recommendation for a physical SPF, this would be the first thing that comes to mind.

I'm giving it five lippies, but it's really a 4.5 for me.