Paula's Choice Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish

Paula's Choice Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish
Paula's Choice Shine Stopper Instant Matte FinishShine Stopper Instant Matte Finish

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, PEG-100 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Glyceryl Stearate, Myristyl Myristate, Ceteareth-20, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol

This really does make your face matte - instantly. I have also been able to apply my sunscreen and foundation over the top of it without it rubbing off or altering how it works. It keeps my face matte for most of the day. I haven't found a similar product that is better than this one. If you live in Australia you can use this code/link to get a $15 discount:

on 11/19/2016 11:26:00 AM

I received a sample of this with a PC order and I am very impressed! I have combination skin with my forehead/t-zone being oily regularly. I usually have to blot my forehead a few times a day to decrease the oil buildup. I wasn't sure how this product would work, but I am very intrigued. I apply it after my morning skin care routine and before primer. I have large pores so I decided to still apply my usual primer on top. You don't need a lot of this, just lightly tap it on to the problem areas and let it set. It has a matte finish and feels almost like cornstarch or something...like powdery but in a liquid form- it's weird...but that is what makes it work. Usually by the end of an 8 hr shift at work even with primer and setting spray my makeup looks like it has worn off and is cakey in the oily areas even with blotting. However, with this product my makeup has literally stayed put ALL DAY. It looks good even at the end of my shift instead of looking like it needs a serious touch-up. My face has a matte finish with this and even though I have continued blotting out of habit, there is much less oil coming off. It definitely has kept the oil at bay while keeping my makeup in place with no caking up due to oil. I am seriously considering purchasing a full size bottle of this, it's been a surprising game-changer in my make up routine. I can also see it working well applying it on top of your make up instead of under, but applying it first has worked for me.

To Read all 65 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/24/2016 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This product changed the way I look at make up. I have such oily eye lids & t-zone that a lot of products were just no-go. I couldn't wear eyeshadow, mascara, or liner without hourly wiping off smears. This product suddenly made all the difference in the world! Now I look great with eyeshadow that stays just as it was applied, 8 hours later. It helps a lot with mascara & liner, but I still have to use very long wearing products. My foundation stays put much longer & really reduces the t-zone melt down.

on 8/24/2016 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This "primer" works best when used *over* makeup. I keep a tube in my purse and when I get shiny, I use a Clean & Clear oil blotting sheet then dab this product over my t-zone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse

Terrific oil absorber - but just use a tiny bit - like the size of a pea or corn kernel. I find I can mix it with foundation such as Ellis Faas Skin Veil Foundation and apply the combo directly (just to the T zone - other wise too drying), or I can apply it AFTER applying Skin Veil foundation by tapping on gently. Either way works well, but the first way saves time, plus you are sure it is well blended.

PS I have not tried it with other foundations to see if it mixes compatibly.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Unequivocally would buy another tube of this if I ran out or my current tube disappeared.

I had a sample and was impressed but waited to review it until I ordered and received my own tube and had tried it a few times to make sure the effect was real and not just my imagination. I can happily report that this product works - but it is a bit finicky and you may have to play with the application technique and order.

I've tried it under makeup and did not see much or any effect. What works for me is to apply my makeup first, then gently pat a small amount of this onto my oily areas - nose and chin mostly. As long as I pat and do not rub, it doesn't seem to affect the makeup underneath, and then the oil and shine will be kept at bay for several hours. No other primer or powder has kept my nose matte for this long. Even when the shine starts coming back, after about 6 to 8 hours or so, it will be a dull shine, not a slick shine, if you know what I mean. Even the texture of my skin feels improved while this product is on - it feels as though my nose and chin have a light, invisible coating of powder on them.

I would give this product 5 lippies if it didn't have a bit of a limited application method to work.

on 8/7/2016 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I was a dedicated OC8 user, and I must say, I was skeptical when I first tried Paula's Choice Shine Stopper. While I applaud PC for offering sample sachets, I have found that the sample packaging doesn't do justice for some products, and Shine Stopper was one of them. I initially found I either had too much or too little from the sample packet, it was way too slow drying and it mattified for only a couple hours. Also, the application instructions say to dab it on, which I found to not work for me. It seems like no surprise that there are many failed tryouts of this product. I really wanted an alternative to OC8 which is sometimes hard to find with varying (expensive) prices, so I ordered a tube of Shine Stopper despite my rocky start with it.

Once I had a tube and altered my application method, things really fell into place with this product. The tube has a narrow nozzle-like tip that helps with controlled dispensing, so I can get just the amount I need. I replaced the recommended dabbing application with more of a smoothing approach, similar to what OC8 instructs for their product. The trick to having long lasting mattifying with this product is to NOT rub it in and to work in sections. Spread a thin layer with sweeping or circular motions over the oily areas only--for me, that is mainly nose, inner cheeks and forehead. It will be rather wet and have a white cast at first, but it dries relatively quickly and with no color if the layer is not too thick. Usually by the time I'm done brushing and flossing my teeth, it will be set. If I messed up and put a little too much in one area, I can correct it with dampened fingers, which will reconstitute the product just enough to work it.

Performance is excellent. I get more than 8 hours of mattification on my forehead. My nose is less lucky, but that is because I have allergies and nose blowing wears the product off. It can be reapplied during the day, and is rather good at restoring a matte finish to freshly blotted skin. For mid-day application, I don't get as much mattifying longevity as when it is applied to clean skin. Having said that, even a mid-day reapplication is rather good at absorbing oil, and beats out powder touch ups for my skin.

I haven't had much experience layering this product under or over makeup. When using cream under eye concealer, I must be careful not to abrade any of the areas that have the mattifier on (such as my inner cheeks near the under eyes), or it will look patchy. Using pressed powder foundations over the dried product has been successful, especially if applied with a dry round cosmetic sponge in a rolling/pressing motion. I do not think this product would work as well under liquid foundation or using damp beauty sponges because the water would dissolve the product. Using Shine Stopper on top of makeup is always an option.

As a perpetually oily-skinned person, I can hardly express how awesome a product like PC Shine Stopper is. It allows me to be very sparing with my makeup, which used to be my primary method of absorbing oil. Along with a good skin care regimen, I can go "au naturel" without worrying about getting shiny and greasy throughout the day.

on 6/20/2016 6:52:00 PM

Okay, so I just put this product to the test. I have extremely oily skin during the summer. I was mainly outside in 95 degree, sweaty humid weather, and I didn't look like an oil slick - I still was a little oily on my hairline area, but honestly I don't think I put any on that area or enough of the product. T-zone and cheeks were slightly dewy! I didn't think it would really work because the consistency is kind of creamy like a moisturizer and dries to a semi matte finish, which from my experience is an indicator that my oils will seep right through. This stuff works, simply put. I got mine from the Paula's Choice website with a discount code from one of the reviewers here - I am NOT a paid reviewer or sponsored by anything. I wrote this review on my own accord without influence because this is such a great product.

on 5/30/2016 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I CAN´T BELIEVE I FOUND THE A STOP FOR MY EXTREMELY OILY FACE! THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT HAS WORK FOR ME!
I AM PISSED THIS IS SO UNDERRATED!!! HOW CAN ANYONE IS TALKING ABOUT THIS PRIMER!!!!!

I'VE TRIED PRIMERS LIKE
SMASHBOX ANTI BLEMISH,
RIMMEL STAY MATTE,
REVLON PRIMER,
MAC OIL CONTROL LOTION,
MILK OF MAGNESIA...
I LIKE ALSO THAT IT DRIES QUICKL, AND DOESN'T LEAVES A WHITE CAST.

AND THIS STOP MY SHINE LIKE 98% ALL DAY LONG, I DON´T HAVE TO BLOT MY FACE EVERY 2 HOURS, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

CONS: HOWEVER THIS MAKES MY MAKEUP LOOK CAKEY AROUND MY NOSE AND UPPER LIP! I GUESS NOTHING CAN BE THAT PERFECT!

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I bought a sample sachet from the PC website to see if it was worth spending £20+ on the full size. Unfortunately this product was not for me - my face remained shine free for around 3hrs max which is no better than when I used the much cheaper Sleek oil free primer. So my search for a great mattifier continues...