4.1

package quality

price range

Reviews

8 years ago

Just as PC 2% BHA liquid is my indispensable skincare product, Shine Stopper is my indispensable cosmetic product. My face starts looking shiny half an hour after I wash it. This is the only product that makes a significant difference. The key to success is to put on enough of it--apply it the way they're always telling us to apply sunscreen. Result: many shine-free hours and smaller-looking pores, smoother-looking skin. EDIT: Another thing to keep in mind when applying: don't try to rub it in! It will ball up and pill. Just "skim" it lightly over your face. It's really worth it--I feel almost normal (skin-wise, at least!) when I use it.

About reviewer (61 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinVery Oily, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

1.0

9 years ago

This just didn't work for me. My skin gets shiny in the summer, despite using powder. I saw no difference using this.

About reviewer (77 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

1.0

9 years ago

This flat out doesn't work. I contacted the company and they told me they've had a lot of complaints that it doesn't work and suggested I put it on after foundation instead of before. Since I don't wear foundation, I decided to throw it in the trash instead. I could have returned it but with the cost of return shipping it wasn't worth it.

About reviewer (20 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Fair

HairRed

EyesGreen

3.0

9 years ago

I don't review a lot of products, even though I try out a TON. This one is worth documenting my experience over, however. This product is great...if you're not going to wear foundation. Even a light layer of loose powder looks dry and flaked over the Shine Stopper. So, what do I use this for? I use this if I know I'm not going to be wearing makeup that day. I apply it right after my daily facial sunscreen, and it does indeed keep my skin more matte than if I had not used it. However, I wear makeup most of the time, so that means this product is just collecting dust a lot of the time, given that any type of foundation does not apply all that well over it, given my experience. Still, a great product if you don't wear makeup.

About reviewer (29 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Coarse

9 years ago

I've had oily skin forever, and as I've gotten older the oiliness has subsided but never gone away. I can't say enough about how amazing this is at completely curbing my oily skin into submission. Amazing stuff! Make sure you use a full pea size - no skimping for the full effect.

About reviewer (8 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium

HairRed

from

9 years ago

I've been using this stuff since its launch in January 2011, but I've waited a long time before leaving a feedback because I had a love/hate relationship with it. I have an oily skin with very oily areas (like my nose which is as shiny as a discoball about 2 hours after washing). This product has really good points : - nice lighweight creamy consistency, - leaves an invisible finish, - blurs pores, - does not dry skin (almost the most important point for my easily dehydrated skin), - controls oils for several hours (but not more than 3-4 hours when the weather is hot and humid). The bad points I noticed : - the cream formula can leave streaks if massaged for too long, - all powders do not cling well to it, - can flake if I use too much (depending on how I apply it, I'll explain why later). I've used it several ways : with a flat top brush, a concealer/foundation brush, a taklon powder brush, a dual fiber brush and my fingers. The best way to get a smooth finish was the concealer/foundation brush but I tend to use too much and it flaked when I applied powder. The best matte finish was when I used my fingers, I used less product (and it did not flake anymore) but I needed to dab dab dab dab or I did not get a smooth surface. Then a Paula's fan said on PC's facebook page that she used a makeup sponge (I did not try this way)... what a difference !!! Since, I've used the Shine Stopper only with makeup sponges (either latex or non-latex), dabbing it gently, layering it on the oiliest areas, and the finish is flawless each time, with a smooth matte surface, no more streaking, no more flaking, and my powder clings far better to it :-) PS : I cannot rate this as a foundation primer as I don't wear foundation anymore.

About reviewer (39 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair, Warm

HairOther, Straight, Medium

EyesBlue

9 years ago

I have an oily t-zone & cheeks. This stuff does what it says it will, and then some--I was able to go more than 6 hours without oiliness everywhere except my forehead. Pore minimizing? Meh. It is a light formula, not as slick feeling as Smashbox Photofinish primer or Monistat, but it is instantly mattifying and a little goes a long way to create a smooth surface. The tube should last for awhile. I like that it has no fragrance. Paula's Choice has been having better offers lately; I got this, sunscreen & self-tanner for 30% off with free shipping. I also saw a deal where shipping was free for orders over $20; this is $21.95 at full price. My HG will keep my forehead matte for 6+ hours; until I find it, I'll use this.

About reviewer (37 reviews)

Age

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

9 years ago

This product claims to "give you a matte finish that keeps you shine-free for at least six hours while minimizing the appearance of pores." I did a split face test with this along with my favorite primer - L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base. My current favorite was decided upon after numerous split face tests with every primer on the market that claims to both control oil and minimize pores. (I'm not kidding when I say "every" primer!) They both go on smoothly, L'Oreal's product is thick and light pink, Paula's is thinner and white. Both disappear on your skin and give an instant matte finish. The Paula's Choice product does indeed do a fine job of controlling oil (and with my oily skin, that is really saying something!) However, after checks in a magnifying mirror every half hour, the Paula's Choice side began to get a glow about it before the L'Oreal side. This was at about the sixth hour, so the oil control claims are pretty factual. Paula's Choice did not perform as well with the pore minimizing claims. While it did somewhat blur the appearance of my pores, it did not do this near as well as the L'Oreal product. The winner -- L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base! It control's oil better and also does a much better job in minimizing the appearance of pores. I would not purchase the Paula's Choice product again, since L'Oreal's works better for me. However, I do think the Paula's Choice Shine Stopper is a good product. It would beat out many other primers in oil control. As long as you aren't worried about minimizing pores, I would recommend this product! EDIT: Price comparison -- L'Oreal's is a little more expensive at $13.00 for .5 oz. as opposed to Paula's at $22.00 for 1 oz. However, keep in mind that you will get every last bit of L'Oreal's because of the jar, while Paula's is in a squeeze tube. Also, you will have to pay shipping for Paula's unless you get in on a special deal.

About reviewer (49 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Curly, Medium

EyesGreen

9 years ago

UPDATE: I found a BRILLIANT new use for this product. I have oily eyelids and even primer doesn't help. Now I put this and my UDPP on and no more mascara on my browbone. It does wear off by the end of my work day but it's still a great product. I have combo skin with an oily T-Zone so I bought a sample of her new product. I wasn't that excited about it but put it on over my MAC Prep & Prime primer one morning. I was in instant Love! It made my skin look so matte and even that I didn't even put foundation on that day. I immediately ordered a whole tube which arrived in the mail today. I'll try it w/out the MAC and under foundation and then edit this if needed, but so far I'm in love :)

About reviewer (39 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesBlue

2.0

9 years ago

Man, am I disappointed... when I saw that Paula had created a primer I couldn't order it fast enough... in fact, I trust Paula's products so much that I almost ordered two... I am glad I didn't because this has been a huge disappointment for me... this does not mattify my skin at all even on plain bare skin... and I don't have really oily skin! I have combo skin with an oily tzone that gets really shiny during the day. I am wondering if I got a bad batch or something because they are raving about this on Paula's website too... I tried this the way Paula recommends, on bare skin under moisturizer and foundation.. I tried it over moisturizer and under foundation and I tried it on top of everything as a last step ... It never made me matte nor did it keep me matte. Hourglass primer, OCEight and even Clinique Tzone products all work better for me than this! I am so disppointed because it is packaged very well and you get a decent amount for the price... I am going to keep trying it and hope that I can get it to work for me... I am really bummed over this one.

About reviewer (28 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium