MAC Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum [DISCONTINUED]

MAC Prep + Prime Skin Brightening Serum [DISCONTINUED]

4.4

Water/Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Squalane, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Polianthes Tuberousa (Tuberose) Extract, Hydrolyzed Rice Bran Extract, Silk Powder\Serica\Poudre de Soie, Tourmaline, Xanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Hydroxide, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Polyglyceryl-5 Oleate, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Citrate, Phenoxythanol, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Benzoate [December 12, 2010]

on 5/13/2014 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Well...
I was in a flight connection at Panama when i needed to buy a primer but my time was running out and i went with a lot of rush to the MAC store at the airport.
The lady gave me this one and when i arrived at home i saw that wasn't what i wanted, but i like to try new things so... Ok, let's do it!

For me it's nothing more than a very very expensive (i paid $54) moisturizer for normal/oily skin. Nothing more, nothing less.
It didn't make my skin brighter, it didn't closed my pores nor reduced them, nothing.
So it's a very very expensive thing that don't do anything more than a regular cheaper product would do.

Noooo, not going to buy this again!

I wanted to love this serum so badly, especially as the ingredients are great and the packaging is perfect and stable. But the problem for me is the texture. It's very runny- which is fine- but also tacky on my skin. I feel like it's sticky and I wish it had a more lotion-feel to it. For that reason I think it's a more mediocre base to my makeup than a creamier primer-serum like Clinique Turnaround or EL Idealist and so I think the search continues.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm not really sure what this product is supposed to do, so if I don't know, it probably means it's not doing much for me... I'm gonna finish the bottle anyway, as it's not breaking me out or anything, so I'll edit if I get any results over time.

My regular work-horse serum is Olay Regenerist Fragrance Free. I don't have any problems with it, but am always interested in trying well-formulated serums that might provide an additional boost. To that end I tried the MAC based on Paula's recommendation. While it's a nice serum, I won't be running out to repurchase for a few reasons:

1. It contains a bit more fragrance than I like. The smell does dissipate, but on first application, I find it a bit strong.

2. While it does sink in, it leaves my skin a little tacky; I prefer the silky, primer-like finish of the Regenerist.

3. I haven't noticed any real brightening or change in skin tone. Seems to maintain what I have, but not provide any tangible improvement.

4. Costs nearly 4x the Regenerist for no real additional benefit for me. Granted, the price is rather reasonable compared to some high-end serums which go for double the MAC.

So, a very good, somewhat expensive serum, with fragrance and a slightly tacky finish. Doesn't cause irritation or break outs and might be great for those who do not like the silicones/primer-like feel of something like Regenerist. Pump bottle is good size and design and keeps ingredients protected from light.

I have been using MAC Prep and Prime Brightening Serum for a few months now and I found that I really like the way it makes my skin feel. It has definitely smoothed and evened out my skin tone but hasn't brightened it at all.

I use it twice daily AM and PM then apply moisturizer. It has a nice, light scent and would definitely buy this again, the downfall is that it's a little pricy and doesn't brighten the skin. I would recommend this product to anyone.

on 5/20/2013 4:58:00 PM

I bought this after a friend recommended me it as I have very problematic skin and prone to nasty patches (dry, oily, red, blotchy, dark spots etc).

I have never been one to spend money on products like serums or special creams but after the recommendation from my friend and reading the reviews on here (if i'm ever unsure of a product or I'm tempted to buy I always first reach out to makeupalley.com haha), I thought I'd go for it.

I've been using it morning and evening, (underneath Macs oil control lotion then my foundation, and then after taking my makeup off at night) and I'm loving it. I've only been using it roughly a week and already I've noticed its cleared and evened out my skin and its got a lovely glow to it now. I wouldn't go as far to say its brightened my skin, but, the serum has definitely improved it with the blotchy patches and redness and looks a lot healthier.

I would recommend this definitely, only con is the price as I feel its a little on the expensive side but it still wont stop me purchasing another bottle as already this is becoming a holy grail item in my makeup routine!!!

It is a transparent serum that comes in a pump bottle which is very handy. It goes on smooth and leaves your face a bit wet, so you need time to let it sink in if you are going to apply it before your make up. Guess it can be used both in the morning or in the evening.
The effect is good, at least for my combination skin somewhat prone to acne. Not sure how it would work for skin with more serious problems. I notice that when using the serum my face looks clearer and brighter. No miracle, and yet a difference can be noticed.

on 3/18/2013 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Great Product!

I had a really bad acne breakout 3 weeks ago from using a primer. Cause alot of cysts and clogged pores on my forehead which left me with alot of acne scars.

The lady at the Mac Counter at The Bay recommended this product. After some research online i decided to buy it.

I've been using this product for about ten days and definitely notice a difference. I'm not sure if its also in combination of other products i use but i feel a difference when using this product. especially after putting it on

The scarring has reduced dramatically. Today is the first day i feel okay to go bare faced without any concealor or powder to work.

The ONLY con about this product it does tend to make my skin a bit oily. Especially in the T zone. I'm hoping in another couple of weeks i can just use this product at night instead of twice a day.

Will DEFINITELY buy this product again. Probably the most effective serum i have ever tried.

on 2/26/2013 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love this stuff, it's just a little too expensive in my opinion. smoothes out the skin and makes a big difference when used before moisturizer.

on 6/28/2012 7:23:00 PM

I'm glad I had a discount card as this would've been really expensive!
I noticed a difference right away, my acne scars started fading and my skin tone looked more even. I was amazed.

Popular Face Skincare Products