Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

4.4

on 3/11/2014 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I had little patience for manicured nails, and I am super hard on my hands. My husband loves colored nails so I searched for the strongest, longest-lasting polishes I could find. I use Gelish colors with the LED lamp, and they last up to 3 weeks on my hands, and at least a month on my toes! Gelish has a beautiful range of fun colors, so I don't get bored with the same old look. I can't imagine why I'd ever use anything else on my nails.

on 12/16/2013 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My salon using Gellish top and base coats with Dare to Wear Perfect match (colors) gel. They wear for 2 - 3 weeks with no edge wear and minimal ridge chipping. I may even buy some when I (finally) invest in my own LED lamp and system. Very good!

on 10/11/2013 10:22:00 AM

Love Gelish, I do my own nails at home and have recently stopped buying Shellac and started using Gelish which is much harder wearing and shinier. Not easy to apply and it does take practice but once applied correctly I have perfect nails for at least 10 days. Make sure the first coat you apply is perfect, ensure the gel does not flood your cuticles or touch your skin, if it does this will cause lifting once dry. Also make sure you seal the free edge with each layer, very important to prevent chipping. Take your time, it takes a good hour and make sure you have excellent light, I use a nail lamp, yes it really does make a difference, application is everything. Enjoy salon results at home!! It last 4-6 weeks on my toes, basically until it grows off. I have lots of colours, at the moment my favourite winter ones are plum and done (dark purple), good gossip (sparkly red), bellas vampire ( dark almost black), a glitter gelish looks great over bellas vampire to add some sparkle. One essential tip is to use a nail oil daily to keep your nails from drying out and dehydrating which could cause peeling and chipping. I have learnt this from experience by using a nail oil you will keep your nails in tip top condition!

i will admit... i have a fetish for gel nails. i love how they look- mirror glass finish, if my nails didnt grow so fast- the gel would last 4-5 weeks, i never have to worry about knicks, or sitting around waiting for a base coat, color and top coat to dry (which can take upwards of an hour), when i am done curing them, i can dig around in my purse and not worry about a thing. i have tried many brands of gels- OPI, shellac, nutri-nail, and sensational (bought at walgreens) and i must admit that gelish is by far my favorite. With that being said, i know it is very expensive- i bought the lamp, 2 foundations, 2 top it offs, 2 bonds, a few of the cleaners and a few of the gelish acetone bottles- along with about 30 colors. I spent a TON of money... however, i was paying $20 every two weeks on a gel manicure, plus a tip. After a year- all of it will have paid itself off. thats not including my gelish pedicures i do in the summertime. if you are able to afford it, go buy the starter kit, a few of your favorite gelish colors and the lamp- you can always add colors later on... i absolutley love it, the variety of colors, the easy step by step guide. One recommendation i have- if you decide to buy your own kit- stick with an LED lamp instead of a UV lamp. Why? I found that the LED is quite a bit cheaper AND the cure time for your nails is 75% faster with the LED. Sallys has everything there to get you started- which will save you so much money in the long run! I give it 5 lippies for the quality of the product, the selection of colors (they have 100+ colors when many other brands dont have half the selection), its easy to apply, and easy to soak off (if you follow the directions properly). IT does take me 3 hours or so to soak off, trim, file nails and cuticles, and apply and cure layers of polish- but its so worth the 3-5 week stay time! LOVE IT! <3

on 12/26/2012 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Wanted to love this so badly but can't get it to work properly. After watching numerous videos and reading tutorials I thought I would have this down. Looks amazing at first. Didn't expect it to be foolproof but I can't get it to last more than 4 or so days. I find I get lifting at the edges of my nails and as soon as it starts to lift there is no stopping it.

I have tried OPI gel, Shallac and now Gelish and can say that Gelish is by far my favorite. Have tried the Gelish in 'Queen of Hearts' and the colour is vibrant, durable and lasts without peeling (unlike the shallac) and only really needs to be taken off because of the regrowth of nails.

I have this done in a salon which is around 25 and is good price for the product, however to buy this and do it at home is really expensive and I wouldn't do.

Even when the gel has been removed, it doesn't affect your nails, however they need have to be buffed to give an even finish to your natural nail. I think if you were to keep this up as a long term thing then your nails would become weak but great for holidays and to treat yourself to once every now and then!

Some of the reviews on here shocked me into writing my own. Firstly I am a professional nail tech who has been fully trained and has been successfully Gelishing my clients for nearly two years.

Gelish is supposed to be a professional product however I know many people purchase kits to use on themselves and others. I will outline the proper procedure as I know untrained people continue to use the product anyway.

My biggest concern is lamps and curing times. Under/over cure can cause problems in both instances. Overcured product will result in service breakdown and more worryingly, undercure will mean product that has not fully cured will be present on the nails, potentially causing overexposure. You cannot tell by looking if a nail is cured or not. You must use a 36 watt lamp or Gelish LED lamp and the correct timings.

Sanitise hands.
Gently push back cuticles and shape free edge.
Use a gentle buffer to remove the shine from the nail plate.
Use Gelish Cleanser to remove dust and clean nail.
Apply Ph Bond sparingly.
Apply foundation thinly and cap free edge, cure for 1 minute.
Use a dry gel brush and wipe over tacky layer of foundation.
Apply a thin coat of colour and cap free edge, cure or 2 minutes.
Repeat step above.
Apply thin coat of Top It Off, cure for 2 minutes.
Remove tacky layer with cleanser.
Apply cuticle oil.

This is the correct procedure when using a UV lamp.

Gelish is an amazing product, I always get two weeks from my mani with no chips. The colour choice is fantastic and the shine is incredible too. Removal is fast and easy with no damage to my nails. I cannot imagine my life without this product, both for myself and my clients :o)

on 1/15/2012 10:43:00 PM

Love, Love, LOVE gelish! The initial investment is about $100 for the kit, light and color but this stuff lasts forever. My manicures last 10-14 days and I have only had to remove them because of the grow out. I soak my nails in acetone for about 10 minutes and the gel just flakes off without damaging my nails. I'm a stay at home mom who is constantly doing yard work, laundry, dishes and taking fitness classes at the gym. I'm very active and this stuff just doesn't chip or lose it's shine.

I love what gelish does for my nails, but the people who are really benefiting are my five and six year old daughters. Whenever I would polish their nails with regular polish, it would be chipped or gone in a day or two. This lasts at least a week on their tiny little nails and look shiny and pretty until they're removed (typically, they peel them off in the tub when they want another mani :). I can't believe that I've spent so much money on my polish collection when there was something like this on the market. I will never buy another kind of polish again,.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is TERRIBLE for your nails! I got a UV light, several bottles of Gelish and tried it myself. First of all, it NEVER lasted more than a week, tops. I had to try and add polish to extend the life of the polish but finally had to take it off. I soaked, and soaked and SOAKED my nails and ultimately had to scrap the crap off. And, that's the problem. I also lost the top layer of my nails. I tried Gelish several times and it is VERY time consuming. I have a life, I don't have a couple hours EVERY WEEK to do nails. I finally threw it all away. Now my nails are weak and breaking off - I have no idea how long it will take them to get healthy again. I cannot believe all the good reviews here - this stuff is expensive and VERY hard on your nails.

on 9/1/2011 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This review is for Gelish "do it yourself" as I am too cheap (and fickle) to have this done at a salon. Besides, from reading the other reviews here it seems like the salons don't remove the product properly and wreck their clients' nails.

I've had the system for just over a month and I absolutely LOVE it! My nails are finally growing out and the shine the top coat gives in incredible. I was obsessed with getting the application right so I did it from start to finish one or two days apart when I first got the system. Each time, I soaked the nails off using the foil method with acetone and all of it came off without any scraping or damage to my nail. The only thing I did the first time was just barely remove the shine off my nails with a buffer. I actually don't think you really need to do that. I followed all the steps as per the DVD that came with the mini starter kit including two coats of clear Gelish polish. The really great thing is that I can put polish on top of the Gelish and take it off with non-acetone remover and the Gelish is left completely intact.

The only tricky part is realizing that the foundation coat in particular can really run into the cuticle so you have to really make sure you put on thin layers and keep it away from the edges of the nails as it will level into those areas a little bit on it's own. Apparently, running a cuticle stick along the edges can also clean it up but I prefer not to even have to do that. On the third try I had it mastered and I have beautifully smooth and even edges.

The only thing I didn't like about the system was the mini light. It's just not great and you can't get replacement bulbs so I exchanged it for a more serious light.

If you like painting your nails and can handle experimenting until you get it right, you should give this a try for sure.

I should add that I even used some of my own regular polish between the foundation and top coat and it worked really well but it was just a little more difficult to remove all the layers.

Great product.....HG for me.

Popular Polishes