Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
 Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

4.5

I have been using the Gelish line for about a year now. I could never make regular polish last on my nails because they are thin, weak and begin to peel after a few weeks of using regular polishes.

For my nails I use the Gelish Structure Gel (2 layers, applied with a brush) and it is amazing! It goes on top of the foundation, and the small pot lasts forever. I don't use any other Gelish products except the foundation, Structure Gel, gelish colours, and top if off, and daily applications of cuticle oil. All brands of this last product seem to be about equal to me. All the other products Gelish sells are unnecessary, and I have tried them.

One thing I have found to be very important is the product I use to soak off. The best I have found is Red Carpet's 'Erase'. It is not that expensive when used with foil wraps, as the pads don't soak up a lot of product. I do one hand, wrapping each finger firmly at the nail with tape. When I move to the next hand I use an eyedropper to deliver more Erase to the pad inside the foil wrap, and then put the wraps on the same fingers. That's why the tape - it keeps the foil wraps in shape for replacement and keeps them tight against the nail. This saves money!

My nails show no damage from the soak off process using Erase. All the layers just lift off using Erase - no hard scraping, filing, gouging, or anything like that. Beautiful! And this really helps to keep my nails in good condition unlike the acetone process. And finally, Erase is much quicker than soaking off with acetone.

Anyway, these are my experiences. Hope this is helpful to someone.

on 6/9/2014 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm sooo disappointed with the yellowing that occurs with the lighter colors, and my attempts to get answers go unrecognized. I'll be looking for a new brand.

on 5/8/2014 10:12:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I love Gelish! I've been doing my own at home gel manis for years now. I've always been obsessed with doing my own nails, but got super tired of putting a bunch of work into them and then *gasp* chipping the very next day! I found Gelish at Sally's Beauty Supply several years back when of couple girls at work started getting their nails shallaced and I was interested in the lasting power they claimed it had. I bought the entire kit, which is pricey, but totally worth it, and I've never looked back. It's totally worth the investment considering how much they charge to do it in a salon, and from my experience, Gelish lasts much longer than anything comparable on the market. Here are my tips and advice for the Gelish system.

1. Do NOT buy all that crap to remove and set the gel! What a waste of money! Get some 100% pure acetone to remove and get some 70% alcohol from the drug store to set your mani. NO NEED to waste money on the fancy stuff, it's WAY overpriced. The acetone and alcohol in large size bottles will cost less than 10 bucks and last for months upon months. The Ph Bond is also useless. You need to "rough" up your nail bed and clean it with alcohol, that's all. All the Ph Bond does is dehydrate the nail bed, you can do this for pennies versus 14 bucks for a tiny bottle of useless-ness.

2. Some of the colors aren't that great, when I'm looking for a new color I steer clear of the ultra creamy pastels, for some reason they do not layer onto the nail well and are just, in general, super hard to work with. Also, some of the colors change after several days, so be aware of that. Most aren't that noticeable or that big of a deal, but I've noticed that the lighter pinks are really bad for turning yellowish after a week or so.

3. If you are doing them yourself, be patient! It takes FOREVER! But hey! It lasts for 3 weeks! and if you do a simple color without any frills, you can totally get away with doing just a fill once or *maybe* twice...it depends, all you gotta do though is take a buffing block and buff the natural nail and smooth down the re-growth line and then apply the whole process as usual, base-color-top.~~ It may take you once or twice to get it down also, it is slightly different than slapping on some polish. I like to do one entire hand from start to finish before I do the other, it makes you less accident prone, and believe me, you don't wanna screw up this stuff after you set it with the light and before you set it with the top coat, you will have to soak it off and start over.

4. I highly recommend the LED light, the UV lights are obviously unhealthy. The LED also dries your nails WAY faster. The actual at home Gelish LED lamp cost somewhere around 50 bucks, but I've have mine for going on 3 years and it still works like a champ, it has most def paid for itself since I don't over pay some person to do something I can do better at home.

5. Bottom line- If you love to do your own nails, and spend a lot of time on them, Gelish is your new bestest-best-ever-friend. Invest and you won't regret, I promise!

on 6/26/2013 8:57:00 AM

I work in a hospital. We are not allowed to have acrylic nails for safety reasons. We are allowed to have nail polish as long as it is not chipped. This is hard because regular nail polish will last 3 days tops on me and then I have to redo my nails. I tried gel nail polish a few months ago and I am hooked. I bought a UV light off of amazon and they have a huge selection of gel nail polish. I have about 20 gel nail polishes. You have to apply a foundation base coat and a top coat. I find the gel nail polish will last almost 2 weeks. This is amazing for me since I am constantly washing my hands at work. If you do your nails a lot then I would recommend buying your own UV light and nail polishes rather than going to a professional. Some people I work with are paying $35-40 every 3 weeks for gel nails. To me that is really expensive when I can do it from home anytime I want. The nail polishes will run around $13 each on amazon but a little of this stuff goes a long way. I do my nails, my sister's nails, nieces, and friends and I haven't even made a dent in my polishes yet. If you need a long lasting manicure then I would definitely go with gel.

on 11/29/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

Since most Reviewers talk about application and offer excellent hints & tips, I'm going to talk about removal. Removal can be...challenging and leave you feeling more like old-fashioned rabbit ears for the tele! There is a simpler way, although equally as unglamourous.

Supplies:
Emery Board with a Fine-grit side
Orangewood Stick
Cuticle Oil of your choice
Hand & Cuticle Cream/Balm of your choice
Acetone of your choice
10 Cotton Balls (real cotton, please, not synthetic)
10 Swingline Rubber Finger Tips/Cots, Large (or similar; find @ office supply stores)

Soak Cotton Ball with Acetone
Stuff soaked Cotton Ball into Rubber Finger Cot
Very, very gently scratch up the nail colour with the Fine side of the Emery Board
Spray/Brush/etc Cuticle Oil around cuticle
Stick finger into Cot, making sure entire nail is covered by the wet cotton ball

You can prep all 10 at once before putting your fingers into the Cots. Just make sure the Acetone hasn't dried out. The Cotton Balls need to be well soaked/wet.

Relax for 20-30 minutes. This allows enough time for the gel polish to soften & loosen from the natural nail. You can also relax for 15-20 minutes if you are uncomfortable using Acetone for a longer period.

Squeeze the Cot gently against the nail while sliding it off of the finger tip. The polish usually pops/slides off of the nail in one piece. If any polish clings to the nail, moisten a Cotton Ball with Acetone & wipe it away. If the polish is being stubborn, use the flat end of the Orange wood stick to loosen it. Wipe it with more Acetone.

Once removal is finished, wash hands THOROUGHLY with warm soap & water. Apply a generous amount of favourite hand & cuticle cream & massage. For extra pampering put on "manicure gloves" after applying hand cream.

Remember to wash the Finger Cots, too, and let air dry. They are reusable for many manicures.

Hope this help! Happy Fingers have Polished Nails :-)

Hair: Red, Kinky, Medium

I paid 10 for this manicure as I have a few "doos" coming up and couldn't be bothered with polish. I got this in Hot Rod Red and my word it's true to its name! A proper slutty red lol, perfect as that's the exact colour I asked for!!!( yes really!!! Lol)

Anyways, the girl lightly filed over my nails to make them coarse so the Gelish base coat would stick better, popped my hands under uv lamp, then did two coats of the colour, after each coat my nails were again put under uv lamp, then a top coat was applied and again put under uv.

I've had them done for two days now, and touch wood, no chipping and the gloss is still as glossy and shiny as the day they were done!!!!
I'd recommend this over shellac, I just didn't find shellac to last as long or look as nice and glossy!!!!!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have been to the salon 3 times now for a gellish manicure and have been really pleased with the results. Decided to buy the set to use at home and really disappoionted. It just doesnt look very neat, i think this is more me than the product but I struggle to get the layers thin enough. any tips for a newbie?? I am hoping that practice makes perfect!!!

I have been having gel nail polish put on by a salon for the last couple of months, something I had never done before. I can confirm that this is tough as nails polish with the abuse it receives from me. I have very healthy nails and keep them moderately long so I can still type etc. One day I may be in the home office typing and the next I have my hands in grease (from a semi truck), moving semi truck tires, picking up and using wrenches for repairs, you name it and this polish holds up. I have had a few stress cracks occasionally in the polish but it occurs when I am due for a another appointment at the salon. With all that I put my hands and nails through, I am impressed.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I first had a gelish manicure applied at a local salon after a woman told me that this salon offered it and she luved it :) Plus! it only cost me $21 with tax to have it applied :) I first had the Color Caution applied and fell in luv with it :) My natural nails are weak, flimsy, bend like crazy and rip and tear...so the gelish was a lifesaver :) I just purchased a UV lamp and some supplies to do the manicure at home....I got the UV lamp from amazon for under $30 and the gelish colors can be around $12.95 for the full size!!! but the shipping is charged too...I would recommend going to this site for free shipping on the gelish and they carry them for $12.95 each also!
they have an amazing assortment of colors to choose from :)

on 11/15/2011 5:02:00 PM

I have used many, many different gel polish brands (everything from the cheap no-name brand on Ebay, to Axxium and Shellac) and this is hands down (no pun intended!) the best out there.

As others have stated, the Red Carpet brand at Ulta is the same, and what they sell at Sally's are smaller bottles and you don't get a lot for your money. Amazon has great prices, too.

My method:
1. Trim/file nails and buff the shine off the nail plate with a foam block buffer.
2. Clean nail plate with alcohol.
3. Apply a nail dehydrator (I use different ones, all from Sally's and cheap)
4. Apply one thin coat (literally just enough to coat the nail) and onto the tip to wrap it.
5. I have done 30 seconds and never had an issue, but you won't ruin anything by doing a minute base cure. 36W UV lamp to cure. Cure times are less with LED.
6. Apply thin coats of polish until desired opacity, curing for two minutes each, OR if you just want clear, go straight for the Top it Off topcoat, curing for 2 minutes.
7. After you cure your topcoat, use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky film layer.

I usually do just a base coat and one layer of topcoat, it takes me 10 minutes or less and I will apply regular polish right on top as usual with a coat of Seche Vite or Poshe. I will get days of wear from this and just remove with non-acetone when I am ready to change colors. OR I apply polish, wait a day or two, and then wipe with alcohol, and apply a layer of Top it Off right on top, curing for two minutes then wiping off residue with alcohol. This will last me two weeks.

Gelish cures hard, super gelly shiny, and lasts and lasts. My removal process involves a metal cuticle pusher that has a spoon-like end which I use to push off the soft gel once I have soaked in acetone for 10 minutes. I do the cotton balls soaked in acetone, held on my nails with tinfoil method. I always make sure to apply a good oil or lotion afterward and wait a day before more gel so my nails breathe.

I have had no damage to my nails since using this system, they grow out fabulously and look great. I think they have even gotten a little stronger since they are better protected.

Popular Polishes