Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Filtered by hair type : Curly
 Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

on 5/8/2014 10:12:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I love Gelish! I've been doing my own at home gel manis for years now. I've always been obsessed with doing my own nails, but got super tired of putting a bunch of work into them and then *gasp* chipping the very next day! I found Gelish at Sally's Beauty Supply several years back when of couple girls at work started getting their nails shallaced and I was interested in the lasting power they claimed it had. I bought the entire kit, which is pricey, but totally worth it, and I've never looked back. It's totally worth the investment considering how much they charge to do it in a salon, and from my experience, Gelish lasts much longer than anything comparable on the market. Here are my tips and advice for the Gelish system.

1. Do NOT buy all that crap to remove and set the gel! What a waste of money! Get some 100% pure acetone to remove and get some 70% alcohol from the drug store to set your mani. NO NEED to waste money on the fancy stuff, it's WAY overpriced. The acetone and alcohol in large size bottles will cost less than 10 bucks and last for months upon months. The Ph Bond is also useless. You need to "rough" up your nail bed and clean it with alcohol, that's all. All the Ph Bond does is dehydrate the nail bed, you can do this for pennies versus 14 bucks for a tiny bottle of useless-ness.

2. Some of the colors aren't that great, when I'm looking for a new color I steer clear of the ultra creamy pastels, for some reason they do not layer onto the nail well and are just, in general, super hard to work with. Also, some of the colors change after several days, so be aware of that. Most aren't that noticeable or that big of a deal, but I've noticed that the lighter pinks are really bad for turning yellowish after a week or so.

3. If you are doing them yourself, be patient! It takes FOREVER! But hey! It lasts for 3 weeks! and if you do a simple color without any frills, you can totally get away with doing just a fill once or *maybe* twice...it depends, all you gotta do though is take a buffing block and buff the natural nail and smooth down the re-growth line and then apply the whole process as usual, base-color-top.~~ It may take you once or twice to get it down also, it is slightly different than slapping on some polish. I like to do one entire hand from start to finish before I do the other, it makes you less accident prone, and believe me, you don't wanna screw up this stuff after you set it with the light and before you set it with the top coat, you will have to soak it off and start over.

4. I highly recommend the LED light, the UV lights are obviously unhealthy. The LED also dries your nails WAY faster. The actual at home Gelish LED lamp cost somewhere around 50 bucks, but I've have mine for going on 3 years and it still works like a champ, it has most def paid for itself since I don't over pay some person to do something I can do better at home.

5. Bottom line- If you love to do your own nails, and spend a lot of time on them, Gelish is your new bestest-best-ever-friend. Invest and you won't regret, I promise!

on 3/11/2014 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I had little patience for manicured nails, and I am super hard on my hands. My husband loves colored nails so I searched for the strongest, longest-lasting polishes I could find. I use Gelish colors with the LED lamp, and they last up to 3 weeks on my hands, and at least a month on my toes! Gelish has a beautiful range of fun colors, so I don't get bored with the same old look. I can't imagine why I'd ever use anything else on my nails.

on 11/29/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

Since most Reviewers talk about application and offer excellent hints & tips, I'm going to talk about removal. Removal can be...challenging and leave you feeling more like old-fashioned rabbit ears for the tele! There is a simpler way, although equally as unglamourous.

Supplies:
Emery Board with a Fine-grit side
Orangewood Stick
Cuticle Oil of your choice
Hand & Cuticle Cream/Balm of your choice
Acetone of your choice
10 Cotton Balls (real cotton, please, not synthetic)
10 Swingline Rubber Finger Tips/Cots, Large (or similar; find @ office supply stores)

Soak Cotton Ball with Acetone
Stuff soaked Cotton Ball into Rubber Finger Cot
Very, very gently scratch up the nail colour with the Fine side of the Emery Board
Spray/Brush/etc Cuticle Oil around cuticle
Stick finger into Cot, making sure entire nail is covered by the wet cotton ball

You can prep all 10 at once before putting your fingers into the Cots. Just make sure the Acetone hasn't dried out. The Cotton Balls need to be well soaked/wet.

Relax for 20-30 minutes. This allows enough time for the gel polish to soften & loosen from the natural nail. You can also relax for 15-20 minutes if you are uncomfortable using Acetone for a longer period.

Squeeze the Cot gently against the nail while sliding it off of the finger tip. The polish usually pops/slides off of the nail in one piece. If any polish clings to the nail, moisten a Cotton Ball with Acetone & wipe it away. If the polish is being stubborn, use the flat end of the Orange wood stick to loosen it. Wipe it with more Acetone.

Once removal is finished, wash hands THOROUGHLY with warm soap & water. Apply a generous amount of favourite hand & cuticle cream & massage. For extra pampering put on "manicure gloves" after applying hand cream.

Remember to wash the Finger Cots, too, and let air dry. They are reusable for many manicures.

Hope this help! Happy Fingers have Polished Nails :-)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I've only ever tried SensatioNail and Gelish brand gel polish, so I might not be a connoisseur, but that said, I absolutely love Gelish. Since it's about $15 per bottle at my local Sally's, it isn't exactly cheap, but I save money in a couple ways. First, doing it myself instead of going to a salon is the major saver. But also, I've found that I can use the Gelish colors with the SensatioNail line and get perfect results. I use SensatioNail prep, base, topcoat, and LED light, and the Gelish for the actual gel polish, and it comes out wonderful. Also, using the LED light goes much faster than the UV lamp. Will definitely continue using and repurchasing Gelish!

Popular Polishes