Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Filtered by hair type : Straight
 Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

I have been using the Gelish line for about a year now. I could never make regular polish last on my nails because they are thin, weak and begin to peel after a few weeks of using regular polishes.

For my nails I use the Gelish Structure Gel (2 layers, applied with a brush) and it is amazing! It goes on top of the foundation, and the small pot lasts forever. I don't use any other Gelish products except the foundation, Structure Gel, gelish colours, and top if off, and daily applications of cuticle oil. All brands of this last product seem to be about equal to me. All the other products Gelish sells are unnecessary, and I have tried them.

One thing I have found to be very important is the product I use to soak off. The best I have found is Red Carpet's 'Erase'. It is not that expensive when used with foil wraps, as the pads don't soak up a lot of product. I do one hand, wrapping each finger firmly at the nail with tape. When I move to the next hand I use an eyedropper to deliver more Erase to the pad inside the foil wrap, and then put the wraps on the same fingers. That's why the tape - it keeps the foil wraps in shape for replacement and keeps them tight against the nail. This saves money!

My nails show no damage from the soak off process using Erase. All the layers just lift off using Erase - no hard scraping, filing, gouging, or anything like that. Beautiful! And this really helps to keep my nails in good condition unlike the acetone process. And finally, Erase is much quicker than soaking off with acetone.

Anyway, these are my experiences. Hope this is helpful to someone.

on 6/26/2013 8:57:00 AM

I work in a hospital. We are not allowed to have acrylic nails for safety reasons. We are allowed to have nail polish as long as it is not chipped. This is hard because regular nail polish will last 3 days tops on me and then I have to redo my nails. I tried gel nail polish a few months ago and I am hooked. I bought a UV light off of amazon and they have a huge selection of gel nail polish. I have about 20 gel nail polishes. You have to apply a foundation base coat and a top coat. I find the gel nail polish will last almost 2 weeks. This is amazing for me since I am constantly washing my hands at work. If you do your nails a lot then I would recommend buying your own UV light and nail polishes rather than going to a professional. Some people I work with are paying $35-40 every 3 weeks for gel nails. To me that is really expensive when I can do it from home anytime I want. The nail polishes will run around $13 each on amazon but a little of this stuff goes a long way. I do my nails, my sister's nails, nieces, and friends and I haven't even made a dent in my polishes yet. If you need a long lasting manicure then I would definitely go with gel.

I have tried OPI gel, Shallac and now Gelish and can say that Gelish is by far my favorite. Have tried the Gelish in 'Queen of Hearts' and the colour is vibrant, durable and lasts without peeling (unlike the shallac) and only really needs to be taken off because of the regrowth of nails.

I have this done in a salon which is around 25 and is good price for the product, however to buy this and do it at home is really expensive and I wouldn't do.

Even when the gel has been removed, it doesn't affect your nails, however they need have to be buffed to give an even finish to your natural nail. I think if you were to keep this up as a long term thing then your nails would become weak but great for holidays and to treat yourself to once every now and then!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oh! Oh! Oh! This is one of the best things that I have ever, ever purchased. I bought the little Gelish LED light on a whim at Sally's after coveting the OPI-Sephora light set. The Gelish is less than half the cost even after adding the polishes. I watched a couple of videos to be certain that I had the technique, and it was easy as pie. The LED light means that the process takes little time overall from foundation to top coat. It looks amazing! Like a professional salon! And it really does last 2 weeks - through gardening, through kitchen tasks and dishwashing, through the pell-mell of everyday life. I am hard on my nails, and I've never had a manicure last longer than a few days without tip wear or chipping. This is a first! Another plus - I get bored with colors and want to switch polishes, but quickly learned that removing the Gelish is drying if you do it too often. You do have to soak nails in acetone for 5 minutes to remove; you probably don't want to remove it too often. But wow! After completing the Gelish base/color/topcoat and curing under the LED, you can apply regular polish of any sort on top with any other regular topcoat. The regular polishes on top of the completed Gelish process can be removed with NON-acetone remover without impacting the Gelish (Gelish is removed with 100% acetone). Applying regular polishes over the completed Gelish allows me to play, and the polishes last longer than over my bare nails. As for Gelish colors, I recommend swatching online before purchasing; many colors are lighter than you expect from the bottles/labels. Also, they are expensive; go to Amazon for full-size bottles for less. They also work perfectly well with other gel polishes; I have used them with Orly, TruGel, and OPI. As for colors- "You're So Sweet it Gives Me a Toothache" is a very light pink," "Good Gossip" is a PERFECT red with micro glitter (a little like Orly Ruby Pumps, and it is perfect for layering) and one of my all-time favorites. "Starburst" is a red-violet leaning to purple. "Sweet Chocolate" is a true chocolate brown (looks fabulous with Good Gossip over it). "It's a Lilly" is a cool pink leaning to violet. "Samuri" is a tauped-pink with micro-glitter and makes a great color blender. Most colors need 2 coats for intensity; they seem on the transluscent side and so blend well by layering. The top coat gives an amazing gloss usually only achieved in a salon. Oh, and BTW, watch videos on sandwiching regular polishes between the foundation and top coats. It works really well. I actually used a little Sally Girl, inexpensive polish in-between and loved it. I couldn't believe how it lasted; these usually have no staying power. Highly recommended; I hope this is around forever. Just as a side note, this is more durable than the Orly gel. Also, the Orly does not behave like the Gelish with the non-acetone. It come off with both non-acetone and regular acetone. Orly is easier to remove and has a reputation for being gentler on the nail but seems a little less versatile.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

BEST BEAUTY INVENTION EVER! This is the best invention ever- flawless nails that never chips until you take it off! Whoever invented this is a genius! I hate chipped nails so this is great!

Pros:

- love my super shiny, flawless nails!
-It never smudges, chips, makes a dent
-Stays flawless and looks freshly done for 3 weeks
-where I get it done is only $25.00 plus tip!
-Removing it is so easy. One step!

Cons:
-Because you get new nail growth you eventually have to get them removed
-you can get addicted to them

on 11/12/2011 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

First I would like to say I only use the foundation and top it off and curing UV light to make Gelish Sandwich manicures. (Sandwich regular nail polish in between gel layers) This at home gel system is amazing. With my "sandwich" technique I get 1.5-2 full weeks of chip free polish! I'm certain that if you use their gel polish you can get a full 3 weeks like they state on the website/display at Sally Beauty.

Up front it is a costly system. I puchased mine via Sally's online website with a discount code for the Gelish Basix kit and UV lamp for 80 bucks. Which is comparable to 2 salon no chip manicures. If you plan on using this frequently...totally worth your investment. I do my nails along with my sisters. My sister purchased her own gel polish so I can apply it for her, and she gets a good 2 to 2.5 weeks of wear.

There are a few tips I would recommend:
1. Buy a 36W UV lamp from Sally's or a reputable seller. The reviews on the mini light are horrible.
2. Foil soak off with 100% acetone, no reason to buy their remover. Followed by your favorite cuticle oil to moisturizer. Once again, no reason to buy their oil.
3. Cleanser...I recommend it, but Rubbing alcohol (highest strength you can get) works well per my sister.
4. PH Bond=nail dehydrator. Use their product or another, but I find this is an important step. I use ASP dehydrator/nail prep...a lot more product for the $$.
5. Thin coats are a must, otherwise you don't cure the product well.

As previous poster noted Sally's gel polish mini bottles are pricey. You can get Red Carpet manicure at Ulta for cheaper. Or purchase the larger gelish bottles on Amazon for the same price. (That's what my sister does)

As for my "sandwich" technique
1. Buff shine off nails
2. Dehydrate nails
3. Foundation and cure 1 minute
4. My regular polish, make sure to AIRDRY x 15 minutes (20 for opaque)
5. Top it off and cure 3 minutes.
6. Remove tackiness.

Highly recommended! :)

on 11/12/2011 9:22:00 AM

OMG - I am in love!!! I love having painted fingernails, but like a lot of women, I am so hard on my hails (LOVE babysbreath's description below) and as another mom w/ an additional full-time job outside the home = I hate having to re-do my manis every few days due to chipping/wear (even w/ Orly bonder, OPI polishes and Posche top coat).

Enter Gelish - got the starter kit at Sallys w/ coupon + on major sale = I think I spent under $20. I also invested in an LED light from a reputable ebay seller ($90) which allows me to cure 1 hand at a time and not have to cure thumbs separately in a fraction of the time a 36 W UV lamp would take. However, if anyone is interested in a BNIB 36W UV lamp, I do have one up for swap w/ pics (long story as to how I ended up w/ this)....

I have now done 7 or 8 manis w/ this system and WHOO HOO!! I get 14 days of looking like the day I polished + another few days w/ minor wear/growth = about 2.5 weeks total before I need to re-do.

I have substituted 100% acetone for the Gelish Soak Off Remover and 91% rubbing alcohol for the Gelish Cleanser - can't tell the difference in performance, only in my pocketbook :)

I have just 2 complaints:

(1). Gelish colors are expensive (IMO) = around $13 at Sallys for tiny bottles. Therefore, I have purchased some of the colors from the Red Carpet Manicure brand at Ulta = $9.99 before coupon = no difference in performance, again, just in pocketbook. :) And I have learned that I like the full color bottles of Red Carpet vs the small color stripe on the Gelish bottles if for no other reason than its so much quicker to choose a color when you can see more than just a teeny little tiny stripe that requires you actually read the color printed on the bottle. :)

(2). to get the opaque color of the darker polishes, I may have to switch to 3 coats as every time I do 2 coats, I am apparently applying too thick of coats = sometimes not curing properly, but I REALLY want the color in the bottle (or I would not have purchased that color to begin w/) and I just saw the reviewer who mentioned she does 3 coats, so my next mani = will do 3 coats and see how that goes.

I have not tried this system w/ any of my regular OPI polishes altho I have read it can be done successfully - since I have some OPI colors that I love, I may research that more and attempt down the road, but for now, am so very pleased w/ using the Gelish and Red Carpet colors.

NOTES:

(1) be aware - the application process (even w/ an LED) does take longer than a regular mani just because you MUST be careful and use THIN THIN layers of everything = about 40-45 minutes for both hands.

(2) also, the removal process = I have found that I must leave my nails wrapped in 100% acetone soaked cotton balls (helpful hint - secure cotton balls w/ blue painters tape NOT NOT NOT scotch tape as acetone will dissolve scotch tape = a mess to peel off) and then wrapped in tinfoil (I purchased a box of hair foils that pop out individually from a box at Sallys for cheap = I just cut each into a few smaller strips = this box will last me forever) for about 15-20 minutes. I will end up still scraping off some, but not much. Also, I find I can use the edge of my nail to scrape off any remainder polish is just as effective and easy on the nail as using an orange stick = now you have options.

UPDATE: LIGHTBULB!!! I was getting frustrated that I could only remove 1 hand's worth at at time and each time it was sitting around waiting the 15 - 20 min = 30-40 min total = too much time. Therefore, I continue to wrap 1 hand at a time, but then sit and put under blow dryer for a few minutes = cuts my time in half and makes the removing of leftover product easier!

HTH :)

on 9/18/2011 5:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm a physician so I don't normally wear polish at work since my hands are constantly in water. Chipped polish is so unprofessional! I first had Gelish put on my nails professionally about a year ago. It stayed on for 11 days w/ no chips. Even after scrubbing for surgery the polish would not chip. I was impressed! I decided to order the top coat, base and a few colors from Amazon. Sally charges the same price for half the amount and has only 12 colors while Amazon has most of the 72 colors available. I also bought the LED light instead of UV-- much faster. Didn't bother w/ the pH bond or cleanser -- it's just isopropyl alcohol ( use 90 % concentration). Love queen of hearts (dk. red w/ shimmer-- think holiday), plum & done, hot rod red ( a true creme red), gossip girl( creme hot med. pink, nice not barbie like!),black cherry
(creme dark red-brown),and tiger blossom (dupe for OPI's big hair big nails). Soaking off is easy as long as you use 100% acetone and a little patience! I usually soak my nails for 12-15 mins. I love the fact I can do this at home where I'm much more comfortable than any salon and have better wine!

I'm really loving this system. I first got the gelish done at a salon and when I found out that I could get the stuff at Sally's and off of websites like amazon I was pretty stoked because I don't like going to the salon (they never listen!). Well I got stocked up (Sally's has a starter kit and the mini lamp) with the starter kit and some colors for about $60 and was on my way. I did a manicure and I've done a second one and I really like this. I don't think it can last 2 full weeks on my nails, but thats ok because I get bored with polish quickly, but it does last at minimum 7 days (also I am VERY hard on my nails) which is good enough for me! I love the application process and how they look professional. Ive gotten so many compliments

on 8/6/2011 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Absolutely amazing! I dont know what I did without this! Yes, it takes longer than a regular manicure (probably about 40 minutes all together), but the results are so worth it. Shiny, chip free nails for around 2 weeks! The initial investment is kind of pricey, I believe I spent about $120 on the UV lamp, foundation, 4 colors and top coat, but I will probably get around a year or more worth of manicures out of this. And considering a gel manicure costs around $40 at my local salon, with just 3 manicures I've already made up what I paid! I really like and recommend gelish if you are like me and like your nails to look nice, but dont have the time to constantly re-polish them when they chip. I will continue purchasing gelish and other brands of SOG nail polish.

Popular Polishes