Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

4.3

on 2/7/2015 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

I have gotten two salon manicures with this and WOW!! No chipping or edge wear at all. None! It lasts for 2 weeks before it grows out and you need a re-do. I am very hard on my hands and I have thin, brittle weak nails. Normal polish chips and peels within 24 hours, and after a few weeks of regular Polish wear, my nails are yellow, broken to the quick, peeled so thin they hurt, and generally absolutely ruined. But Gelish makes them thick, strong, and darned near unbreakable!!

The only bad thing about using a gel system is that you wear the same color for weeks at a time so you get bored with it, and you need a color that will basically match all your outfits! I wouldn't get a hot pink because you're limited with your wardrobe. But I get more neutral soft, kind of sparkly colors that kind of go with everything.

As for removal, you can soak it off with no damage.

on 5/28/2014 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love Gelish in Desert Sands, a neutral with shimmer. I've tried Shellac, OPI gel, Japanese brands, Essie gel, etc. The only one that stays for any amount of time (10-14 days) is Gelish. Price point is in line with the other brands. For someone whose nails chip in 2-3 days using regular polish, this stuff is a lifesaver! Not to mention that it's dry once color is applied and dried under the UV light, so no mess while waiting for it to dry.

When I have requested a gel manicure at the cheaper salons, they tend to do a gelish.

Gelish is similar to CND Shellac. You cure under an led light after each coat and the resulting manicure is supposed to last up to 2 weeks.

In terms of staying power, gelish is absovultr better than a standard manicure. Mine tend to last about 10 days before chipping or peeling too noticeably.

However, I find these manicures to be hard on my nails. I can usually do one manicure without too much damage. But if I do a second gelish in a short time period, I notice my nails feeling weak and then they tend to peel or tear. Once this happens it takes a while for my nails to grow out and recover. i typically have relatively strong nails, so I find this frustrating.

With all that said, absolutely love gel manicures. For me personally, I find the extra money to get shellac at a good salon to be worth it.

I can't say for certain whether it is the shellac product that I prefer or whether the application is better ( since I tend to get shellac at nicer salons).

on 3/25/2013 6:41:00 PM

Best gel polish out there! Last for 2 weeks without chipping! My favorite color is bellas vampire, a gorgeous puple/black color. Highly recommend. I pay $22 for a gelish manicure at my nail salon.

on 12/26/2012 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Wanted to love this so badly but can't get it to work properly. After watching numerous videos and reading tutorials I thought I would have this down. Looks amazing at first. Didn't expect it to be foolproof but I can't get it to last more than 4 or so days. I find I get lifting at the edges of my nails and as soon as it starts to lift there is no stopping it.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Now that I've invested in gel polish, it's really hard to go back to regular nail polish. I LOVE gel polish, especially Harmony's Gelish!

The main reason why I've fallen in love with gel polish, is because when I'm doing a design, I can easily wipe off a mistake without worrying about it drying (or getting "sticky" like regular polish before I can fix something). Also, I can easily fix a mistake like make a line straighter if it was "wobbly" looking which results in "crisp" lines. You can correct minor details which result in very nicely detailed nail art.

**Price tip** This polish is a little pricey, so I usually buy it off Amazon. You can get SOME polishes at Sally's, but they're limited in color, and for the price of the mini size Gel polish you get at Sally's, it's almost the same price as a regular size Gel polish from Amazon with shipping included.

**Color tip** The pictures of the gel polish colors aren't always "true to color" because many of Harmony's gel polishes are kind of opaque, so you should either google how the color actually looks or Amazon has a lot of customer pictures. If you go on Amazon, make sure you read the descriptions that some people post of their nail pictures because they tend to add a glittery top or they like to mix the polishes.

**Application tip** I like to do black french tips a lot, and sometimes after I've put the "Top it off" on and cured under my Red Carpet Professional lamp (I really love this lamp cause it has an automatic timer for 45 seconds! Don't go with the portable ones!), the color will wipe off after I wipe the sticky layer off my "Top it off", so to fix it, I'll put a layer of the gel base down on the messed up part, and go through the painting process just on that spot. The gel polish might be slightly thicker on the part you fix, but who's really gonna notice? Adding base gel will really help you adhere the gel colors, it also works if you want to add details after you've already put "Top it off" on.

The only thing I don't like about gel nails, is the acetone soak time to take off the gel polish. I used to do the cotton ball and foil thing, but now I just tilt a small glass bowl. Less hassle and trash.

On a good note, this polish usually stays on for 2-3 weeks. The main reasons I might change it around 2 weeks, is because of the new nail growth or because I just want a new design. I really love gel polish! I can't wait to try out their new Magneto collection!

I'll attach a few of my nail designs.

on 11/15/2011 5:02:00 PM

I have used many, many different gel polish brands (everything from the cheap no-name brand on Ebay, to Axxium and Shellac) and this is hands down (no pun intended!) the best out there.

As others have stated, the Red Carpet brand at Ulta is the same, and what they sell at Sally's are smaller bottles and you don't get a lot for your money. Amazon has great prices, too.

My method:
1. Trim/file nails and buff the shine off the nail plate with a foam block buffer.
2. Clean nail plate with alcohol.
3. Apply a nail dehydrator (I use different ones, all from Sally's and cheap)
4. Apply one thin coat (literally just enough to coat the nail) and onto the tip to wrap it.
5. I have done 30 seconds and never had an issue, but you won't ruin anything by doing a minute base cure. 36W UV lamp to cure. Cure times are less with LED.
6. Apply thin coats of polish until desired opacity, curing for two minutes each, OR if you just want clear, go straight for the Top it Off topcoat, curing for 2 minutes.
7. After you cure your topcoat, use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky film layer.

I usually do just a base coat and one layer of topcoat, it takes me 10 minutes or less and I will apply regular polish right on top as usual with a coat of Seche Vite or Poshe. I will get days of wear from this and just remove with non-acetone when I am ready to change colors. OR I apply polish, wait a day or two, and then wipe with alcohol, and apply a layer of Top it Off right on top, curing for two minutes then wiping off residue with alcohol. This will last me two weeks.

Gelish cures hard, super gelly shiny, and lasts and lasts. My removal process involves a metal cuticle pusher that has a spoon-like end which I use to push off the soft gel once I have soaked in acetone for 10 minutes. I do the cotton balls soaked in acetone, held on my nails with tinfoil method. I always make sure to apply a good oil or lotion afterward and wait a day before more gel so my nails breathe.

I have had no damage to my nails since using this system, they grow out fabulously and look great. I think they have even gotten a little stronger since they are better protected.

on 11/8/2011 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sadly, I am re-rating this product. I loved it at first, but after repeated use, it damaged my nails underneath. Starting at about the third application, the gel polish didn't stay on my nails nearly as long as it first did. I changed NOTHING about the application, and followed the instructions exactly. I would use this maybe for vacations or special events, but for everyday manicures I get better results using the Sally Hansen "Complete Salon Manicure" products.
.................................................................................................
This product is AMAZING!!! I used to have acrylic nails put on, not because I wanted the long nails, but because I couldn't keep polish on my natural nails. After having kids, I just gave up on nails.

I tried a light polish first. After 12 days, I soaked it off and tried the red. No chips, polish was still shiny. Except for the outgrowth, it looked as if it was just applied.

I spent about $75 on the starter kit and UV light (less than the price of 2 manicures done at a salon). I was able to do a full manicure in about an hour.

I did make some mistakes at first and will share those lessons: First, use THIN coats of the product. If you use too much, it will spread once it gets under the UV light. Second, spend the time to watch the instructional DVD that comes with the kit. There's some good tips in here that get you better results and help the manicure last longer.

I did get one small chip when I tried to scrape petrified malt o meal off my table with my thumbnail (my fault). I was able to touch up the chip in about 10 minutes. Unless you look really closely, you can't tell it's been touched up.

I will say the color #130 (You like me, you really like me) looks like a deep burgundy in the bottle. It turns out more of a true red. It's pretty, just not what the bottle looks like.

on 8/12/2011 4:59:00 PM

I will preface this review by stating that I am not a nail tech, this is strictly information that I complied after doing alot of research on the web- The following technique is simply what has been successful for me.

I decided to invest in the Gelish system since I really don't want to pay $40 every two weeks for a manicure.

I did some research on this product as well as on the CND shellac products and found that you CAN use shellac colors with the Gelish system as long as you have a 36w uv light. (the Gelish colors do not require 36w- however based on my reserch, the 36 w seems to work better on them so I advise you to get 36w). I purchased a 36w UV light off of amazon for about $35.

Here is a list of the products/equipment you will need to complete a Gelish Manicure:

100% Acetone
nail file
36w UV light
Gelish PH Bonder
Gelish foundation
Gelish nail colors (OR CND Shellac colors)
Gelish Top it off
91% rubbing alcohol
cuticle oil (i recommend CND Solar Oil)

So the first thing is to prep the nail, remove old polish, shape nail with file and push cuticles back with orange stick. Use buffing block to roughen the surface of the nailbeds (lightly) and then thoroughly wash hands to remove any dust- NO SOAP. dry your hands with a cotton towel making sure the nails are very dry before beginning.

Apply the Ph Bonder to each nail.

Next step is the Foundation- I found it to be very thick, the trick is that it should be applied in a thin layer- so take your time. If the foundation is put on too thick, it will run and pool- I made this mistake on my first try with this system and had to start over. After the foundation is applied, cure in the UV lamp for 1 minute (or longer to be extra sure).

Next is the Color. Apply the gelish color of your choice. this formula is thin- so again, use a very small amount,and do thin layers- it will run into the cuticles easily if you have too much product on the brush. Be sure you "wrap" the nail tip - this will help the manicure last. Cure each layer of gelish color in the UV light for 2 minutes. You can apply 2-3 layers of color just be sure to cure for 2 minutes between each layer

Now apply the Gelish Top it Off product (wrapping the tips) and cure in the UV lamp for 2-5 minutes. I always let them "bake" for 5 minutes just to be sure they are hard as nails.

The last step is to use a cotton ball soaked with the rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky residue on top of the nails. Apply come cuticle oil and you are all set for two weeks!!

NOTES:
I find that rubbing alcohol works perfectly fine in place of Gelish brand "Cleanse", it's about 2$ at target vs. $7 for the "cleanse".

If you mess up the color steps you can use non-acetone nail polish remover to take it off without ruining the foundation underneath. I also use a brush with this to clean up any color that gets on the cuticle.It will only work if the color hasn't been cured in the UV lamp- if it is already cured you'll have to soak it off with acetone and start completely over.

REMOVAL:
So, I read a review that stated that a user was unhappy with this product because her nail tech scraped this product off with a nail file and ruined her nails. All I have to say is- the nail tech did not remove this product correctly. You simply file the surface of gelish to "break the seal" soak in acetone and use an orange stick to help scrape off any residual.
* I hope this review will be helpful for other DIY gelish girls out there * :)

on 8/4/2011 6:18:00 PM

I was introduced to the concept of gel polish at my nail salon. I was easily able to get two weeks of wear out of a gel manicure when going and absolutely loved the concept and results. I LOVED that my nails would grow and the gel gave just enough strength so they wouldn't break, that the manicure would last for two weeks and that it didn't damage my nails.

What I didn't like is the price. While definitely cheaper than acrylics and fill ins, my salon charges $25 for a color gel manicure and $30 for a french gel manicure. Because of the cost, I began looking into alternatives and ended up deciding to use Gelish brand gel polish because I had good results with the brand and manicure from the salon.

I bought an ASP Professional Multi-Purpose UV Lamp from Sally's. With my Sally's card it was right at $63. I also bought the Gelish Foundation, 2 nail colors and the Top Coat. The Gelish products were on sale but my initial investment was $116 for everything. I figure I use the products 4 to 5 times and I've paid for it in what I would spend on the salon doing it.

I think the system is VERY easy to use. I had my own bonder which I used first after trimming my cuticles and shaping my nails. I then used a thin coat of Foundation, cured my nails, did two coats of nail color (curing between coats), Top Coat, curing and then "cleansing" (Gelish has a nail "cleanser" that you're supposed to use at the end but the SA at Sally's said just to use alcohol so that's what I did and it worked just fine). After doing my nails, I then did my daughter's nails; both with great results. I figure even if mine doesn't last 21 days like the product says, anything over about 10 with no chips or peels is good for me! Anything over that is definitely a bonus.

The end results on both of our nails is great. They are strong, smooth and shiny. I am definitely pleased.

The only things I think I will do different for my next manicure is to 1) actually get the Gelish PH Bonder because I don't quite care for the one I have, 2) get orange sticks to help clean color from around my nails since using my fingernail to do this doesn't work the best, 3) definitely get lint free wipes and 4) get other colors!!!!!

So the bottom line? I definitely recommend either getting gel manicures done at your salon OR, if you're ok with a little investment up front and not scared to do your own nails, DEFINITELY recommend doing this yourself and saving yourself some money and time!!

Popular Polishes