Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

3.9

on 6/9/2014 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm sooo disappointed with the yellowing that occurs with the lighter colors, and my attempts to get answers go unrecognized. I'll be looking for a new brand.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This little star can be used for many things .. Base coat, top coat, add a gloss to natural nails .. Or as an alternative to shellac .. 1st apply base coat then alternate with polish colour, gelish & repeat & finally apply a top coat & hey presto hard wearing .. Lasting polished perfection!

on 12/16/2013 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My salon using Gellish top and base coats with Dare to Wear Perfect match (colors) gel. They wear for 2 - 3 weeks with no edge wear and minimal ridge chipping. I may even buy some when I (finally) invest in my own LED lamp and system. Very good!

on 6/6/2013 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I don't use this every manicure because I am ADD with my color choices. But if I am need to have a manicure to last more than 3 days, this is what I choose. I make sure to do it prior to a shower (to be sure my nails are dry). I clean up my cuticles with blue cross cuticle remover. I file my nails and buff a bit. I use the ph coat, then the top coat. I have a UV lamp that I got off ebay. Color and then top coat. One nice thing is it hardens or strengthens my nails. That keep the polish from chipping too. Only down side is my Sally's Beauty does not have a huge stock of colors and they also keep colors behind the counter due to theft.

I have been having gel nail polish put on by a salon for the last couple of months, something I had never done before. I can confirm that this is tough as nails polish with the abuse it receives from me. I have very healthy nails and keep them moderately long so I can still type etc. One day I may be in the home office typing and the next I have my hands in grease (from a semi truck), moving semi truck tires, picking up and using wrenches for repairs, you name it and this polish holds up. I have had a few stress cracks occasionally in the polish but it occurs when I am due for a another appointment at the salon. With all that I put my hands and nails through, I am impressed.

on 7/19/2011 3:41:00 PM

I've only had one experience with Gelish, and perhaps it was an uncharacteristically bad one, but I'm not impressed.

I had Gelish done at a salon 10 days ago. Since it was my first time, I have no idea if the tech did it properly, but it looked very involved and was time-consuming. It involved various bottles of primers and top coats in addition to the gel color, plus numerous curings under the UV light. I have to say my nails looked good when I left the salon.

They only looked good for a couple of days. By the third day, the polish was peeling away from the bases of my nails around the cuticles. (Picture above.) Luckily, I got a pale pink color that's almost the exact color of my nailbeds, so it wasn't very noticeable, but that still irked me after the price upgrade I paid for this.

After a week, my nails looked as bad as or worse than they would have if I'd done my own manicure at home with standard polish. I had huge gaps of missing polish that had peeled off around my cuticles (not just the expected nail growth). Again, I'm thankful I chose a light color, because this would look excruciatingly bad if it had been a bold color.

I will say that no polish chipped off the tips of my nails, the polish remained beautifully shiny throughout, and this stuff seems to really strengthen my nails. It might be worth it to you if you're in it for the strengthening and you choose a non-obvious color.

In all fairness, I don't think my nails looked as bad to other people as they did to meóno on else examines them that closely. But if a manicure only lasts a couple of days, it's just not worth the extra time and cost to me.

UPDATE 7/25/11: I'm taking this down to 2 stars. I finally got what was left of this crap removed at the salon after approximately two weeks of wear. If you're unfamiliar, this polish does NOT come off with standard polish remover. It's more akin to removing acrylic nails.

First I had to soak my nails in pure acetone for about 20 minutes. This seemed to soften up the gel but didn't remove it all. What was left, the tech SCRAPED off my natural nails using a coarse-grain emery board. As you might imagine, this took about half the thickness of my natural nails along with it.

I am so disappointed that I let someone sell me into paying more for a manicure that didn't last, looked ugly, and basically ruined my natural nails until they grow out. It will take months before my nails are back to normal.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

UPDATE 12/8/11 - I have been using Gelish since January 2010. Not every 2 weeks on the dot, but regularly. I soak off after 18-20 days, with 100% acetone. And despite some people's conviction that acetone is the devil, my nails are IN THE BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE. if people have been having issues with the condition of their nails after using Gelish, then there was a problem with either the application or the removal. Both need to be properly done. When you do the soak off, lightly file the top coat to break the seal. This will allow the acetone to break down the Gelish more quickly. Also, you can apply a regular base coat to your bare nail, allow to thoroughly dry, and proceed with application as normal. This also makes removal easier. When I soak off, I soak for 10 minutes using the foil method, twist the foil, and get 99% of the Gelish off. I can usually get the rest off by cleaning the nail with remover. Then I oil my nails really well, let that sink in overnight, and reapply the next day.
I can definitely attest to the fact that this does not damage your nails. I am on a medication currently that makes the skin super sensitive to UV light, so I have been
on a break from Gelish (sniff sniff). My nails are longer and stronger than they have ever been. I am making do with my regular nail polish in the meantime, and I am getting better wear out of the regular polish than I ever have. It used to chip in a couple days, now I am getting almost a full week out of it. Plus it is applying much more smoothly and looks much better than it did pre-Gelish.
I honestly think the gel polishes are one of the best things to happen to the beauty industry in the last 30 years.
ORIGINAL REVIEW:
This is one of the new gel/polish hybrids that have come out, they are marketed as "The 14-day manicure". It applies like regular nail polish, only you have to apply foundation, color, color, top coat. You cure each layer in a 36-watt UV light. There is no drilling/filing of the nail plate, just a light buffing so the foundation will stick. Then when you are ready to redo you soak the gel off in 100% acetone in 10 minutes, there is no filling in of new growth. You have to completely remove it and start over. Which sounds bad, but it's really not.
This stuff is awesome. I easily get 14+ days out of one manicure, and my nails look nearly as good on day 14 as they do on day 1! No chipping or peeling! It looks very natural, and gives my nails the strength they need to actually get a little length on them without breaking. What is even more amazing is the fact that when I soaked mine off (I did it at home) it came off easily and my nails were perfectly fine. No damage at all! You can do pedicures with this also.
I first got it done in a salon, and loved it so much I started researching it online. It is very DIY-friendly. You can get all the supplies online. To buy the basic supplies (including a light and a couple colors) you are looking at a cost of around $150. But they are charging $30 a manicure in the salons, so I figure I will make my money back in a few months.
Now I have to say that you do need to take your time and be careful when applying it in order for it to last. You can't just slap it on and go. But there is a ton of great info, tips, and videos online that help. I get better each time I do it, and people are always asking me where I get my nails done. They can't believe it when I say I do it myself!
I will definitely repurchase, I doubt I will ever go to a nail salon again.

Popular Polishes