Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

4.6

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love having polished nails, but nail polish just doesn’t love me (or my lifestyle I should say).
I’m a very busy mom of 2 kids, and I am also a full-time working professional. (Read: I don’t have enough time for myself.)
At home, I need to be able to clean and do things with my hands that require them to be in water or doing physical things around the house. I hate it when a nail tech says “Well, you must be using your nails as tools.” Ummm...no honey, I don't use my nails as flat-head screwdrivers. I don’t have a maid, a chef, or a nanny, so I need to do the dirty work and unfortunately, my hands pay for it.
When I go into the office, I need to look well groomed and neat. My hands shouldn’t look as though I’ve worked on heavy machinery (although admittedly sometimes they do). I’ve polished my nails only to have them look chipped and dull in a day or so. I have also had acrylic nails in the past, but with the constant chipping and lifting, it was almost as bad as regular nail polish.

Enter the miracle of soak-off gel polish…

I’ve been having Axxium soak-off gel manicures professionally done for some time, but have always wondered if it was the kind of thing I could do myself. The cost is of course the biggest motivator. Axxium application seems tricky based on what I’ve seen from my nail tech, so after doing some research, I found that Gelish has been used successfully by at-home users.

I've listed a few of my favorite links below:

Awesome beginner's guide to applying Soak Off Gel polish (includes info on adding pigments, glitters, etc.)
Soak Off Gel Application Info

By far, the most accurate Gelish swatches I found are on Purseblog (although someone posted a pedicure pic with hairy toes - yikes!)
Accurate Gelish Swatches

YouTube videos from FingerNailFixer (She uses Shellac, but she shows you how to do rockstar nails & other nail art that can also be done with Gelish)
YouTube Channel from Finger Nail Fixer

Awesome blog and YouTube channel from "ferretkingdom" that I found for swatches of different brands of soak-off gels, adding pigments/glitters, spectraflair, water marbling, etc.
YouTube Channel from Ferretkingdom
Ferretkingdom's Blog

Although you can buy Gelish online and even at Sally's Beauty Supply; the initial investment into soak-off gel polish is not for the faint of heart. To get the absolute minimum of supplies needed, it was over $100.

Products you will need:
• 36-watt UV nail dryer ($27.99 on eBay)
• Gelish Cleanser (91% Isopropyl Alcohol works too)
• Nail Harmony Ph Bond
• Gelish Foundation Gel
• Gelish Top-It-Off Top Sealer
• Gelish color of your choice

Manicure Tools:
• Lint-free nail wipes (Do not use cotton balls in the application process, or you will intensely curse all of the fuzzies sticking to your nail. I found that paper towels cut into little squares works best)
• Wood manicure/cuticle sticks
• Nail buffer
• Nail file
• Metal cuticle pusher
• Cuticle remover (Sally Hansen Cuticle Remover in the blue container works really well)
• Something to cover your work surface (paper towels)

You need to prep and clean your nails per the instructions. I applied the base coat “Foundation Gel” and found that the tiny brush is a little tricky to work with, but I managed. The key is to apply a thin coat, and use the brush to "push" the gel onto the nail. Any gel that gets onto your cuticle & skin should be removed. I found that a quick swipe with a cuticle stick around and under my nail works well.

Once you cure the foundation gel in your UV dryer, the instructions tell you to dry wipe the tacky layer before you begin your first coat of color. I've done the dry-wipe step and I've skipped it as well, and found that I didn't notice any difference afterwards (in terms of chipping, lifting, etc.) either way.

I think applying the gel polish is easier in some ways than regular polish. With regular nail polish you have to work quickly, otherwise it begins to dry & you end up with brush marks. With gel polish, it doesn’t dry until you go to the UV dryer, so you have much more time to work with the color on your nail, clean up, etc.
On the other hand, gel polish can also be more difficult than regular polish. Since it is a gel, it can get smeary very quickly if you aren't careful. I also noticed gel polish isn't as pigmented/opaque as regular polish, and that most colors require 3 coats to look good.

Once you cure the final topcoat, take a wipe and some Gelish cleanser (or 91% alcohol), & remove the final tacky layer.

Application time: Plan for at least 1 hour. You need to take your time, because you can't sloppily apply gel polish the way you can with regular polish. Also, with a UV nail dryer, you have to cure each coat you apply for 2 min. An LED nail dryer will cure each coat in 30 sec, but it is much more expensive.

Result: Please excuse the rough hands - This is 2 coats of Bella’s Vampire, which is a dark vampy (ha ha) deep reddish/purple cream.

Wear: Stays shiny and chip free for a good 10 days for me, but you’ll see some tip wear as well as a gap at the cuticle from nail growth.

Removal: Lightly file the topcoat to “break the seal”. I use the foil method & it works in about 15 minutes or so.
To accelerate the process: Once you have “foiled” your fingers, you can wrap your hands in towels & then apply heat using a heating pad on Low.

Update: I've been using Gelish now for about a year, and I am still loving it! I now own over 30 colors. ♥ continued >>

on 11/29/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

Since most Reviewers talk about application and offer excellent hints & tips, I'm going to talk about removal. Removal can be...challenging and leave you feeling more like old-fashioned rabbit ears for the tele! There is a simpler way, although equally as unglamourous.

Supplies:
Emery Board with a Fine-grit side
Orangewood Stick
Cuticle Oil of your choice
Hand & Cuticle Cream/Balm of your choice
Acetone of your choice
10 Cotton Balls (real cotton, please, not synthetic)
10 Swingline Rubber Finger Tips/Cots, Large (or similar; find @ office supply stores)

Soak Cotton Ball with Acetone
Stuff soaked Cotton Ball into Rubber Finger Cot
Very, very gently scratch up the nail colour with the Fine side of the Emery Board
Spray/Brush/etc Cuticle Oil around cuticle
Stick finger into Cot, making sure entire nail is covered by the wet cotton ball

You can prep all 10 at once before putting your fingers into the Cots. Just make sure the Acetone hasn't dried out. The Cotton Balls need to be well soaked/wet.

Relax for 20-30 minutes. This allows enough time for the gel polish to soften & loosen from the natural nail. You can also relax for 15-20 minutes if you are uncomfortable using Acetone for a longer period.

Squeeze the Cot gently against the nail while sliding it off of the finger tip. The polish usually pops/slides off of the nail in one piece. If any polish clings to the nail, moisten a Cotton Ball with Acetone & wipe it away. If the polish is being stubborn, use the flat end of the Orange wood stick to loosen it. Wipe it with more Acetone.

Once removal is finished, wash hands THOROUGHLY with warm soap & water. Apply a generous amount of favourite hand & cuticle cream & massage. For extra pampering put on "manicure gloves" after applying hand cream.

Remember to wash the Finger Cots, too, and let air dry. They are reusable for many manicures.

Hope this help! Happy Fingers have Polished Nails :-)

Some of the reviews on here shocked me into writing my own. Firstly I am a professional nail tech who has been fully trained and has been successfully Gelishing my clients for nearly two years.

Gelish is supposed to be a professional product however I know many people purchase kits to use on themselves and others. I will outline the proper procedure as I know untrained people continue to use the product anyway.

My biggest concern is lamps and curing times. Under/over cure can cause problems in both instances. Overcured product will result in service breakdown and more worryingly, undercure will mean product that has not fully cured will be present on the nails, potentially causing overexposure. You cannot tell by looking if a nail is cured or not. You must use a 36 watt lamp or Gelish LED lamp and the correct timings.

Sanitise hands.
Gently push back cuticles and shape free edge.
Use a gentle buffer to remove the shine from the nail plate.
Use Gelish Cleanser to remove dust and clean nail.
Apply Ph Bond sparingly.
Apply foundation thinly and cap free edge, cure for 1 minute.
Use a dry gel brush and wipe over tacky layer of foundation.
Apply a thin coat of colour and cap free edge, cure or 2 minutes.
Repeat step above.
Apply thin coat of Top It Off, cure for 2 minutes.
Remove tacky layer with cleanser.
Apply cuticle oil.

This is the correct procedure when using a UV lamp.

Gelish is an amazing product, I always get two weeks from my mani with no chips. The colour choice is fantastic and the shine is incredible too. Removal is fast and easy with no damage to my nails. I cannot imagine my life without this product, both for myself and my clients :o)

on 11/12/2011 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

First I would like to say I only use the foundation and top it off and curing UV light to make Gelish Sandwich manicures. (Sandwich regular nail polish in between gel layers) This at home gel system is amazing. With my "sandwich" technique I get 1.5-2 full weeks of chip free polish! I'm certain that if you use their gel polish you can get a full 3 weeks like they state on the website/display at Sally Beauty.

Up front it is a costly system. I puchased mine via Sally's online website with a discount code for the Gelish Basix kit and UV lamp for 80 bucks. Which is comparable to 2 salon no chip manicures. If you plan on using this frequently...totally worth your investment. I do my nails along with my sisters. My sister purchased her own gel polish so I can apply it for her, and she gets a good 2 to 2.5 weeks of wear.

There are a few tips I would recommend:
1. Buy a 36W UV lamp from Sally's or a reputable seller. The reviews on the mini light are horrible.
2. Foil soak off with 100% acetone, no reason to buy their remover. Followed by your favorite cuticle oil to moisturizer. Once again, no reason to buy their oil.
3. Cleanser...I recommend it, but Rubbing alcohol (highest strength you can get) works well per my sister.
4. PH Bond=nail dehydrator. Use their product or another, but I find this is an important step. I use ASP dehydrator/nail prep...a lot more product for the $$.
5. Thin coats are a must, otherwise you don't cure the product well.

As previous poster noted Sally's gel polish mini bottles are pricey. You can get Red Carpet manicure at Ulta for cheaper. Or purchase the larger gelish bottles on Amazon for the same price. (That's what my sister does)

As for my "sandwich" technique
1. Buff shine off nails
2. Dehydrate nails
3. Foundation and cure 1 minute
4. My regular polish, make sure to AIRDRY x 15 minutes (20 for opaque)
5. Top it off and cure 3 minutes.
6. Remove tackiness.

Highly recommended! :)

on 11/12/2011 9:22:00 AM

OMG - I am in love!!! I love having painted fingernails, but like a lot of women, I am so hard on my hails (LOVE babysbreath's description below) and as another mom w/ an additional full-time job outside the home = I hate having to re-do my manis every few days due to chipping/wear (even w/ Orly bonder, OPI polishes and Posche top coat).

Enter Gelish - got the starter kit at Sallys w/ coupon + on major sale = I think I spent under $20. I also invested in an LED light from a reputable ebay seller ($90) which allows me to cure 1 hand at a time and not have to cure thumbs separately in a fraction of the time a 36 W UV lamp would take. However, if anyone is interested in a BNIB 36W UV lamp, I do have one up for swap w/ pics (long story as to how I ended up w/ this)....

I have now done 7 or 8 manis w/ this system and WHOO HOO!! I get 14 days of looking like the day I polished + another few days w/ minor wear/growth = about 2.5 weeks total before I need to re-do.

I have substituted 100% acetone for the Gelish Soak Off Remover and 91% rubbing alcohol for the Gelish Cleanser - can't tell the difference in performance, only in my pocketbook :)

I have just 2 complaints:

(1). Gelish colors are expensive (IMO) = around $13 at Sallys for tiny bottles. Therefore, I have purchased some of the colors from the Red Carpet Manicure brand at Ulta = $9.99 before coupon = no difference in performance, again, just in pocketbook. :) And I have learned that I like the full color bottles of Red Carpet vs the small color stripe on the Gelish bottles if for no other reason than its so much quicker to choose a color when you can see more than just a teeny little tiny stripe that requires you actually read the color printed on the bottle. :)

(2). to get the opaque color of the darker polishes, I may have to switch to 3 coats as every time I do 2 coats, I am apparently applying too thick of coats = sometimes not curing properly, but I REALLY want the color in the bottle (or I would not have purchased that color to begin w/) and I just saw the reviewer who mentioned she does 3 coats, so my next mani = will do 3 coats and see how that goes.

I have not tried this system w/ any of my regular OPI polishes altho I have read it can be done successfully - since I have some OPI colors that I love, I may research that more and attempt down the road, but for now, am so very pleased w/ using the Gelish and Red Carpet colors.

NOTES:

(1) be aware - the application process (even w/ an LED) does take longer than a regular mani just because you MUST be careful and use THIN THIN layers of everything = about 40-45 minutes for both hands.

(2) also, the removal process = I have found that I must leave my nails wrapped in 100% acetone soaked cotton balls (helpful hint - secure cotton balls w/ blue painters tape NOT NOT NOT scotch tape as acetone will dissolve scotch tape = a mess to peel off) and then wrapped in tinfoil (I purchased a box of hair foils that pop out individually from a box at Sallys for cheap = I just cut each into a few smaller strips = this box will last me forever) for about 15-20 minutes. I will end up still scraping off some, but not much. Also, I find I can use the edge of my nail to scrape off any remainder polish is just as effective and easy on the nail as using an orange stick = now you have options.

UPDATE: LIGHTBULB!!! I was getting frustrated that I could only remove 1 hand's worth at at time and each time it was sitting around waiting the 15 - 20 min = 30-40 min total = too much time. Therefore, I continue to wrap 1 hand at a time, but then sit and put under blow dryer for a few minutes = cuts my time in half and makes the removing of leftover product easier!

HTH :)

on 5/8/2014 10:12:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I love Gelish! I've been doing my own at home gel manis for years now. I've always been obsessed with doing my own nails, but got super tired of putting a bunch of work into them and then *gasp* chipping the very next day! I found Gelish at Sally's Beauty Supply several years back when of couple girls at work started getting their nails shallaced and I was interested in the lasting power they claimed it had. I bought the entire kit, which is pricey, but totally worth it, and I've never looked back. It's totally worth the investment considering how much they charge to do it in a salon, and from my experience, Gelish lasts much longer than anything comparable on the market. Here are my tips and advice for the Gelish system.

1. Do NOT buy all that crap to remove and set the gel! What a waste of money! Get some 100% pure acetone to remove and get some 70% alcohol from the drug store to set your mani. NO NEED to waste money on the fancy stuff, it's WAY overpriced. The acetone and alcohol in large size bottles will cost less than 10 bucks and last for months upon months. The Ph Bond is also useless. You need to "rough" up your nail bed and clean it with alcohol, that's all. All the Ph Bond does is dehydrate the nail bed, you can do this for pennies versus 14 bucks for a tiny bottle of useless-ness.

2. Some of the colors aren't that great, when I'm looking for a new color I steer clear of the ultra creamy pastels, for some reason they do not layer onto the nail well and are just, in general, super hard to work with. Also, some of the colors change after several days, so be aware of that. Most aren't that noticeable or that big of a deal, but I've noticed that the lighter pinks are really bad for turning yellowish after a week or so.

3. If you are doing them yourself, be patient! It takes FOREVER! But hey! It lasts for 3 weeks! and if you do a simple color without any frills, you can totally get away with doing just a fill once or *maybe* twice...it depends, all you gotta do though is take a buffing block and buff the natural nail and smooth down the re-growth line and then apply the whole process as usual, base-color-top.~~ It may take you once or twice to get it down also, it is slightly different than slapping on some polish. I like to do one entire hand from start to finish before I do the other, it makes you less accident prone, and believe me, you don't wanna screw up this stuff after you set it with the light and before you set it with the top coat, you will have to soak it off and start over.

4. I highly recommend the LED light, the UV lights are obviously unhealthy. The LED also dries your nails WAY faster. The actual at home Gelish LED lamp cost somewhere around 50 bucks, but I've have mine for going on 3 years and it still works like a champ, it has most def paid for itself since I don't over pay some person to do something I can do better at home.

5. Bottom line- If you love to do your own nails, and spend a lot of time on them, Gelish is your new bestest-best-ever-friend. Invest and you won't regret, I promise!

on 6/26/2013 8:57:00 AM

I work in a hospital. We are not allowed to have acrylic nails for safety reasons. We are allowed to have nail polish as long as it is not chipped. This is hard because regular nail polish will last 3 days tops on me and then I have to redo my nails. I tried gel nail polish a few months ago and I am hooked. I bought a UV light off of amazon and they have a huge selection of gel nail polish. I have about 20 gel nail polishes. You have to apply a foundation base coat and a top coat. I find the gel nail polish will last almost 2 weeks. This is amazing for me since I am constantly washing my hands at work. If you do your nails a lot then I would recommend buying your own UV light and nail polishes rather than going to a professional. Some people I work with are paying $35-40 every 3 weeks for gel nails. To me that is really expensive when I can do it from home anytime I want. The nail polishes will run around $13 each on amazon but a little of this stuff goes a long way. I do my nails, my sister's nails, nieces, and friends and I haven't even made a dent in my polishes yet. If you need a long lasting manicure then I would definitely go with gel.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oh! Oh! Oh! This is one of the best things that I have ever, ever purchased. I bought the little Gelish LED light on a whim at Sally's after coveting the OPI-Sephora light set. The Gelish is less than half the cost even after adding the polishes. I watched a couple of videos to be certain that I had the technique, and it was easy as pie. The LED light means that the process takes little time overall from foundation to top coat. It looks amazing! Like a professional salon! And it really does last 2 weeks - through gardening, through kitchen tasks and dishwashing, through the pell-mell of everyday life. I am hard on my nails, and I've never had a manicure last longer than a few days without tip wear or chipping. This is a first! Another plus - I get bored with colors and want to switch polishes, but quickly learned that removing the Gelish is drying if you do it too often. You do have to soak nails in acetone for 5 minutes to remove; you probably don't want to remove it too often. But wow! After completing the Gelish base/color/topcoat and curing under the LED, you can apply regular polish of any sort on top with any other regular topcoat. The regular polishes on top of the completed Gelish process can be removed with NON-acetone remover without impacting the Gelish (Gelish is removed with 100% acetone). Applying regular polishes over the completed Gelish allows me to play, and the polishes last longer than over my bare nails. As for Gelish colors, I recommend swatching online before purchasing; many colors are lighter than you expect from the bottles/labels. Also, they are expensive; go to Amazon for full-size bottles for less. They also work perfectly well with other gel polishes; I have used them with Orly, TruGel, and OPI. As for colors- "You're So Sweet it Gives Me a Toothache" is a very light pink," "Good Gossip" is a PERFECT red with micro glitter (a little like Orly Ruby Pumps, and it is perfect for layering) and one of my all-time favorites. "Starburst" is a red-violet leaning to purple. "Sweet Chocolate" is a true chocolate brown (looks fabulous with Good Gossip over it). "It's a Lilly" is a cool pink leaning to violet. "Samuri" is a tauped-pink with micro-glitter and makes a great color blender. Most colors need 2 coats for intensity; they seem on the transluscent side and so blend well by layering. The top coat gives an amazing gloss usually only achieved in a salon. Oh, and BTW, watch videos on sandwiching regular polishes between the foundation and top coats. It works really well. I actually used a little Sally Girl, inexpensive polish in-between and loved it. I couldn't believe how it lasted; these usually have no staying power. Highly recommended; I hope this is around forever. Just as a side note, this is more durable than the Orly gel. Also, the Orly does not behave like the Gelish with the non-acetone. It come off with both non-acetone and regular acetone. Orly is easier to remove and has a reputation for being gentler on the nail but seems a little less versatile.

on 8/29/2015 11:09:00 PM

Anyone considering setting up an at home gel kit with Gelish.... JUST DO IT!!

I had never been that into nail polish since I always dented it as it was drying, it could get everywhere, and even if the application looked perfect, I knew that would last 48hours max before chipping.

So I tried gel. I purchased a starter kit with Gelish and a small LED lamp back around 2011 and I've never looked back. My collection continues to grow and grow and I finally upgraded to the best LED lamp in the market - the official big Harmony lamp which is amazing. Also, my nails always were weak and peeled. Now I have long, strong nails that people enviously comment on.

I could talk about this forever but here's what you need to know. Don't buy UV - it's suspected to be dangerous for skin and takes a long time. Just go LED - Shellac is really the only brand that's stuck in the UV land. Almost everything else is LED compatible.

You only need to buy the Gelish base, a colour, and the top coat. You don't need PH Bond or cleanser or remover or anything else (you may find your nails are particularly oily and require the PH Bond later, but experiment first rather than wasting money). Where to buy these things? If you're in Australia go to Harehouse Warehouse to look at the colours. They sell Minis for $20 which is wayyyy too expensive. Then find a seller in your State on eBay (to minimise postage costs) and buy full size bottles from them for $20 once you've picked a colour in real life at the shop. The branded cleanser and remover are just expensive ways of buying rubbing alcohol and 100% acetone respectively. Just go to Bunnings and stock up.

There's so much you can do once you've mastered the basic gel mani. Look into stamping (you can start with Konad as a brand - there are others, but this is a good quality popular one to start with), embellishments like rhinestones, pigments that can be combined, striping tape, dotting tools, etc. I'm always discovering new ways to build my repertoire - there's no limit to what you can do. Start following nail people on Instagram and build up a library of ideas to browse when you sit down to do a mani.

This is such an easy and relaxing process - it's definitely how I treat myself every 1.5-2 weeks. I sit down, remove my last mani, prep my nail and create something new and amazing all over again while watching some telly and eating chocolate. It's great. And I'm ALWAYS getting compliments on my different manis - from friends, shop assistants, anyone.

JUST DO IT!! You won't regret it :P

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have embarked on the badwagon of the DIY gel nails. After having the service done every 2 weeks in a nail salon, I finally decided to bite the bullet and splurge.

I love my gel nails, I have soft brittle thin nails. I have worn acrylics for 10+ years and I will never go back. A regular nail polish mani lasts 2 days for me....with the Gelish I get at least 2 weeks. After 2 weeks there may be a little lifting and a lot of growth from the line of demarcation. The growth line drives me nuts, but easy to redo. I am a regular at the nail salon and feel the supplies are worth the investment.

I went to the local vietanemese nail supply store and picked up the soak off base gel (foundation gel) $22, the Soak off Sealer (top it off) $19. I also picked up my favorite pinks, High Bridge and Go Girl ($17 each). I got the Entity nail prep ($4) because they were out of the Harmony Ph balancer. They said it would work just as good. They also said I could try it with my OPI bond aid. I have very oily nail beds, so this step is important to me. I will do this before I lay the foundation gel.

I went to Sally and picked up some orange wood sticks and lit free nail wipes and some posh cuticle cream. It was about $20 for all of those.

I also got a 36 watt uv nail lamp at the nail supply for around $65. I will practice my application with the Gelish and then get some OPI Axxium colors. These look like they take a steady hand to apply. There are some OPI colors I can't give up.

I know the process will work great as I am confident from doing my own acrylics for about 2 years. The results will be well worth it.

I certainty have been enjoying wearing them fresh from the salon. Let me tell you from experience, the Harmony Gelish LED light cures super fast but it is very $$$$. However, if I really like doing it myself I may take the splurge.

I hope this review was helpful. If you are thinking about having the gel nails done they are great. I can't say enough good things about them. However, the nail ladies to tend to buff my nails. This does not require a lot of buffing. I am happy that I will be able to control this. It makes the whole thing worthwhile for me.

I will be stocking up on more colors soon. They have some great deals on Amazon. I have been reading the Jessica Gelerations work good with the Harmony base and top coats. I have had that done in a service before. I find the Harmony lasts a little better for me than the Jessica gels. The Jessica gels tend to peel at the tips after about a week and a half. However, it's still so much longer lasting than a regular mani! I will also be expanding with Jessica colors for this DIY method too.

Update:
I did my first Gelish manicure with June Bride. I knew the glitters would be more forgiving if I messed up. I didn't mess up. This is easier to do than I thought. My best advice is to keep the coats thin.

I will be adding more colors to my gel stash soon.

Popular Polishes