Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

4.6

on 8/29/2015 11:09:00 PM

Anyone considering setting up an at home gel kit with Gelish.... JUST DO IT!!

I had never been that into nail polish since I always dented it as it was drying, it could get everywhere, and even if the application looked perfect, I knew that would last 48hours max before chipping.

So I tried gel. I purchased a starter kit with Gelish and a small LED lamp back around 2011 and I've never looked back. My collection continues to grow and grow and I finally upgraded to the best LED lamp in the market - the official big Harmony lamp which is amazing. Also, my nails always were weak and peeled. Now I have long, strong nails that people enviously comment on.

I could talk about this forever but here's what you need to know. Don't buy UV - it's suspected to be dangerous for skin and takes a long time. Just go LED - Shellac is really the only brand that's stuck in the UV land. Almost everything else is LED compatible.

You only need to buy the Gelish base, a colour, and the top coat. You don't need PH Bond or cleanser or remover or anything else (you may find your nails are particularly oily and require the PH Bond later, but experiment first rather than wasting money). Where to buy these things? If you're in Australia go to Harehouse Warehouse to look at the colours. They sell Minis for $20 which is wayyyy too expensive. Then find a seller in your State on eBay (to minimise postage costs) and buy full size bottles from them for $20 once you've picked a colour in real life at the shop. The branded cleanser and remover are just expensive ways of buying rubbing alcohol and 100% acetone respectively. Just go to Bunnings and stock up.

There's so much you can do once you've mastered the basic gel mani. Look into stamping (you can start with Konad as a brand - there are others, but this is a good quality popular one to start with), embellishments like rhinestones, pigments that can be combined, striping tape, dotting tools, etc. I'm always discovering new ways to build my repertoire - there's no limit to what you can do. Start following nail people on Instagram and build up a library of ideas to browse when you sit down to do a mani.

This is such an easy and relaxing process - it's definitely how I treat myself every 1.5-2 weeks. I sit down, remove my last mani, prep my nail and create something new and amazing all over again while watching some telly and eating chocolate. It's great. And I'm ALWAYS getting compliments on my different manis - from friends, shop assistants, anyone.

JUST DO IT!! You won't regret it :P

I have been using the Gelish line for about a year now. I could never make regular polish last on my nails because they are thin, weak and begin to peel after a few weeks of using regular polishes.

For my nails I use the Gelish Structure Gel (2 layers, applied with a brush) and it is amazing! It goes on top of the foundation, and the small pot lasts forever. I don't use any other Gelish products except the foundation, Structure Gel, gelish colours, and top if off, and daily applications of cuticle oil. All brands of this last product seem to be about equal to me. All the other products Gelish sells are unnecessary, and I have tried them.

One thing I have found to be very important is the product I use to soak off. The best I have found is Red Carpet's 'Erase'. It is not that expensive when used with foil wraps, as the pads don't soak up a lot of product. I do one hand, wrapping each finger firmly at the nail with tape. When I move to the next hand I use an eyedropper to deliver more Erase to the pad inside the foil wrap, and then put the wraps on the same fingers. That's why the tape - it keeps the foil wraps in shape for replacement and keeps them tight against the nail. This saves money!

My nails show no damage from the soak off process using Erase. All the layers just lift off using Erase - no hard scraping, filing, gouging, or anything like that. Beautiful! And this really helps to keep my nails in good condition unlike the acetone process. And finally, Erase is much quicker than soaking off with acetone.

Anyway, these are my experiences. Hope this is helpful to someone.

on 5/8/2014 10:12:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I love Gelish! I've been doing my own at home gel manis for years now. I've always been obsessed with doing my own nails, but got super tired of putting a bunch of work into them and then *gasp* chipping the very next day! I found Gelish at Sally's Beauty Supply several years back when of couple girls at work started getting their nails shallaced and I was interested in the lasting power they claimed it had. I bought the entire kit, which is pricey, but totally worth it, and I've never looked back. It's totally worth the investment considering how much they charge to do it in a salon, and from my experience, Gelish lasts much longer than anything comparable on the market. Here are my tips and advice for the Gelish system.

1. Do NOT buy all that crap to remove and set the gel! What a waste of money! Get some 100% pure acetone to remove and get some 70% alcohol from the drug store to set your mani. NO NEED to waste money on the fancy stuff, it's WAY overpriced. The acetone and alcohol in large size bottles will cost less than 10 bucks and last for months upon months. The Ph Bond is also useless. You need to "rough" up your nail bed and clean it with alcohol, that's all. All the Ph Bond does is dehydrate the nail bed, you can do this for pennies versus 14 bucks for a tiny bottle of useless-ness.

2. Some of the colors aren't that great, when I'm looking for a new color I steer clear of the ultra creamy pastels, for some reason they do not layer onto the nail well and are just, in general, super hard to work with. Also, some of the colors change after several days, so be aware of that. Most aren't that noticeable or that big of a deal, but I've noticed that the lighter pinks are really bad for turning yellowish after a week or so.

3. If you are doing them yourself, be patient! It takes FOREVER! But hey! It lasts for 3 weeks! and if you do a simple color without any frills, you can totally get away with doing just a fill once or *maybe* twice...it depends, all you gotta do though is take a buffing block and buff the natural nail and smooth down the re-growth line and then apply the whole process as usual, base-color-top.~~ It may take you once or twice to get it down also, it is slightly different than slapping on some polish. I like to do one entire hand from start to finish before I do the other, it makes you less accident prone, and believe me, you don't wanna screw up this stuff after you set it with the light and before you set it with the top coat, you will have to soak it off and start over.

4. I highly recommend the LED light, the UV lights are obviously unhealthy. The LED also dries your nails WAY faster. The actual at home Gelish LED lamp cost somewhere around 50 bucks, but I've have mine for going on 3 years and it still works like a champ, it has most def paid for itself since I don't over pay some person to do something I can do better at home.

5. Bottom line- If you love to do your own nails, and spend a lot of time on them, Gelish is your new bestest-best-ever-friend. Invest and you won't regret, I promise!

on 12/16/2013 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My salon using Gellish top and base coats with Dare to Wear Perfect match (colors) gel. They wear for 2 - 3 weeks with no edge wear and minimal ridge chipping. I may even buy some when I (finally) invest in my own LED lamp and system. Very good!

on 10/11/2013 10:22:00 AM

Love Gelish, I do my own nails at home and have recently stopped buying Shellac and started using Gelish which is much harder wearing and shinier. Not easy to apply and it does take practice but once applied correctly I have perfect nails for at least 10 days. Make sure the first coat you apply is perfect, ensure the gel does not flood your cuticles or touch your skin, if it does this will cause lifting once dry. Also make sure you seal the free edge with each layer, very important to prevent chipping. Take your time, it takes a good hour and make sure you have excellent light, I use a nail lamp, yes it really does make a difference, application is everything. Enjoy salon results at home!! It last 4-6 weeks on my toes, basically until it grows off. I have lots of colours, at the moment my favourite winter ones are plum and done (dark purple), good gossip (sparkly red), bellas vampire ( dark almost black), a glitter gelish looks great over bellas vampire to add some sparkle. One essential tip is to use a nail oil daily to keep your nails from drying out and dehydrating which could cause peeling and chipping. I have learnt this from experience by using a nail oil you will keep your nails in tip top condition!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I bought the steps of prep, foundation and top coat. I bought the UV light from Amazon.

I tried sandwiching with my OPI colors. Had zero luck with keeping this on my hands longer than 5 days. And it looked bad because I couldn't keep it off my cuticles and yes I wiped my cuticles with an orange stick and kept layers thin. I read the Literature and watched You-tube videos until I was dreaming this sh!t.

Then I bought the colors of Gelish brand thinking that would make a huge difference. No better luck.

By this time I was deep in debt trying to SAVE money to not go to a salon to get my nails done. But my nails looked like crap and meanwhile I could not stop stressing over how crappy they looked! As I was picking at the junk on my cuticles...

I give the product a 3 because I think it works but you need to be able to apply it properly. All of the talk about just apply like nail polish is crap. There is more to it. If you watch the nail people, they prep the hell out of the nail bed before applying and there is a method to their application. Thin layers, smooth nail bed, no cuticles, the list goes on.

So I finally give in and get a set of gels done by a pro and realize that I will never be as good as they are at nails. (They do 20 sets of nails a day and it helps to have an extra pair of hands. So I hear.)

I give up and will have to take nail tech off my resume. So much for skill sets. Anyone want a spiffy UV light that fits 2 hands???

{Sorry for the length of this but this is for all those people out there like me who thought yeah I can polish my nails, let me DIY some gels.}

on 6/26/2013 8:57:00 AM

I work in a hospital. We are not allowed to have acrylic nails for safety reasons. We are allowed to have nail polish as long as it is not chipped. This is hard because regular nail polish will last 3 days tops on me and then I have to redo my nails. I tried gel nail polish a few months ago and I am hooked. I bought a UV light off of amazon and they have a huge selection of gel nail polish. I have about 20 gel nail polishes. You have to apply a foundation base coat and a top coat. I find the gel nail polish will last almost 2 weeks. This is amazing for me since I am constantly washing my hands at work. If you do your nails a lot then I would recommend buying your own UV light and nail polishes rather than going to a professional. Some people I work with are paying $35-40 every 3 weeks for gel nails. To me that is really expensive when I can do it from home anytime I want. The nail polishes will run around $13 each on amazon but a little of this stuff goes a long way. I do my nails, my sister's nails, nieces, and friends and I haven't even made a dent in my polishes yet. If you need a long lasting manicure then I would definitely go with gel.

When I have requested a gel manicure at the cheaper salons, they tend to do a gelish.

Gelish is similar to CND Shellac. You cure under an led light after each coat and the resulting manicure is supposed to last up to 2 weeks.

In terms of staying power, gelish is absovultr better than a standard manicure. Mine tend to last about 10 days before chipping or peeling too noticeably.

However, I find these manicures to be hard on my nails. I can usually do one manicure without too much damage. But if I do a second gelish in a short time period, I notice my nails feeling weak and then they tend to peel or tear. Once this happens it takes a while for my nails to grow out and recover. i typically have relatively strong nails, so I find this frustrating.

With all that said, absolutely love gel manicures. For me personally, I find the extra money to get shellac at a good salon to be worth it.

I can't say for certain whether it is the shellac product that I prefer or whether the application is better ( since I tend to get shellac at nicer salons).

I get a Gelish manicure at my salon for $12.00. Right now I have on Good Gossip and it is a beautiful red color with a lot of glitter and shine. I will never use regular nail polish again, and for $12.00, it's something I can treat myself to every two weeks.

on 11/29/2012 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

Since most Reviewers talk about application and offer excellent hints & tips, I'm going to talk about removal. Removal can be...challenging and leave you feeling more like old-fashioned rabbit ears for the tele! There is a simpler way, although equally as unglamourous.

Supplies:
Emery Board with a Fine-grit side
Orangewood Stick
Cuticle Oil of your choice
Hand & Cuticle Cream/Balm of your choice
Acetone of your choice
10 Cotton Balls (real cotton, please, not synthetic)
10 Swingline Rubber Finger Tips/Cots, Large (or similar; find @ office supply stores)

Soak Cotton Ball with Acetone
Stuff soaked Cotton Ball into Rubber Finger Cot
Very, very gently scratch up the nail colour with the Fine side of the Emery Board
Spray/Brush/etc Cuticle Oil around cuticle
Stick finger into Cot, making sure entire nail is covered by the wet cotton ball

You can prep all 10 at once before putting your fingers into the Cots. Just make sure the Acetone hasn't dried out. The Cotton Balls need to be well soaked/wet.

Relax for 20-30 minutes. This allows enough time for the gel polish to soften & loosen from the natural nail. You can also relax for 15-20 minutes if you are uncomfortable using Acetone for a longer period.

Squeeze the Cot gently against the nail while sliding it off of the finger tip. The polish usually pops/slides off of the nail in one piece. If any polish clings to the nail, moisten a Cotton Ball with Acetone & wipe it away. If the polish is being stubborn, use the flat end of the Orange wood stick to loosen it. Wipe it with more Acetone.

Once removal is finished, wash hands THOROUGHLY with warm soap & water. Apply a generous amount of favourite hand & cuticle cream & massage. For extra pampering put on "manicure gloves" after applying hand cream.

Remember to wash the Finger Cots, too, and let air dry. They are reusable for many manicures.

Hope this help! Happy Fingers have Polished Nails :-)

Popular Polishes