Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Filtered by skin tone : Fair age: 36-43
 Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

on 12/16/2013 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My salon using Gellish top and base coats with Dare to Wear Perfect match (colors) gel. They wear for 2 - 3 weeks with no edge wear and minimal ridge chipping. I may even buy some when I (finally) invest in my own LED lamp and system. Very good!

on 8/4/2011 6:18:00 PM

I was introduced to the concept of gel polish at my nail salon. I was easily able to get two weeks of wear out of a gel manicure when going and absolutely loved the concept and results. I LOVED that my nails would grow and the gel gave just enough strength so they wouldn't break, that the manicure would last for two weeks and that it didn't damage my nails.

What I didn't like is the price. While definitely cheaper than acrylics and fill ins, my salon charges $25 for a color gel manicure and $30 for a french gel manicure. Because of the cost, I began looking into alternatives and ended up deciding to use Gelish brand gel polish because I had good results with the brand and manicure from the salon.

I bought an ASP Professional Multi-Purpose UV Lamp from Sally's. With my Sally's card it was right at $63. I also bought the Gelish Foundation, 2 nail colors and the Top Coat. The Gelish products were on sale but my initial investment was $116 for everything. I figure I use the products 4 to 5 times and I've paid for it in what I would spend on the salon doing it.

I think the system is VERY easy to use. I had my own bonder which I used first after trimming my cuticles and shaping my nails. I then used a thin coat of Foundation, cured my nails, did two coats of nail color (curing between coats), Top Coat, curing and then "cleansing" (Gelish has a nail "cleanser" that you're supposed to use at the end but the SA at Sally's said just to use alcohol so that's what I did and it worked just fine). After doing my nails, I then did my daughter's nails; both with great results. I figure even if mine doesn't last 21 days like the product says, anything over about 10 with no chips or peels is good for me! Anything over that is definitely a bonus.

The end results on both of our nails is great. They are strong, smooth and shiny. I am definitely pleased.

The only things I think I will do different for my next manicure is to 1) actually get the Gelish PH Bonder because I don't quite care for the one I have, 2) get orange sticks to help clean color from around my nails since using my fingernail to do this doesn't work the best, 3) definitely get lint free wipes and 4) get other colors!!!!!

So the bottom line? I definitely recommend either getting gel manicures done at your salon OR, if you're ok with a little investment up front and not scared to do your own nails, DEFINITELY recommend doing this yourself and saving yourself some money and time!!

on 4/12/2011 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Update: Bought my own supplies, and it is bordering on addiction. So easy to do yourself (and it has lasted even longer than when i have had it done at a salon).

Original Review: I love this! Literally, my last pedi lasted almost two months without any chips (just growth line next to cuticle). It doesn't seem that complicated to apply, either, especially for the results you get - shiny, never dull, extremely long wear. Thinking of investing in the supplies to do it myself.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love having polished nails, but nail polish just doesn’t love me (or my lifestyle I should say).
I’m a very busy mom of 2 kids, and I am also a full-time working professional. (Read: I don’t have enough time for myself.)
At home, I need to be able to clean and do things with my hands that require them to be in water or doing physical things around the house. I hate it when a nail tech says “Well, you must be using your nails as tools.” Ummm...no honey, I don't use my nails as flat-head screwdrivers. I don’t have a maid, a chef, or a nanny, so I need to do the dirty work and unfortunately, my hands pay for it.
When I go into the office, I need to look well groomed and neat. My hands shouldn’t look as though I’ve worked on heavy machinery (although admittedly sometimes they do). I’ve polished my nails only to have them look chipped and dull in a day or so. I have also had acrylic nails in the past, but with the constant chipping and lifting, it was almost as bad as regular nail polish.

Enter the miracle of soak-off gel polish…

I’ve been having Axxium soak-off gel manicures professionally done for some time, but have always wondered if it was the kind of thing I could do myself. The cost is of course the biggest motivator. Axxium application seems tricky based on what I’ve seen from my nail tech, so after doing some research, I found that Gelish has been used successfully by at-home users.

I've listed a few of my favorite links below:

Awesome beginner's guide to applying Soak Off Gel polish (includes info on adding pigments, glitters, etc.)
Soak Off Gel Application Info

By far, the most accurate Gelish swatches I found are on Purseblog (although someone posted a pedicure pic with hairy toes - yikes!)
Accurate Gelish Swatches

YouTube videos from FingerNailFixer (She uses Shellac, but she shows you how to do rockstar nails & other nail art that can also be done with Gelish)
YouTube Channel from Finger Nail Fixer

Awesome blog and YouTube channel from "ferretkingdom" that I found for swatches of different brands of soak-off gels, adding pigments/glitters, spectraflair, water marbling, etc.
YouTube Channel from Ferretkingdom
Ferretkingdom's Blog

Although you can buy Gelish online and even at Sally's Beauty Supply; the initial investment into soak-off gel polish is not for the faint of heart. To get the absolute minimum of supplies needed, it was over $100.

Products you will need:
• 36-watt UV nail dryer ($27.99 on eBay)
• Gelish Cleanser (91% Isopropyl Alcohol works too)
• Nail Harmony Ph Bond
• Gelish Foundation Gel
• Gelish Top-It-Off Top Sealer
• Gelish color of your choice

Manicure Tools:
• Lint-free nail wipes (Do not use cotton balls in the application process, or you will intensely curse all of the fuzzies sticking to your nail. I found that paper towels cut into little squares works best)
• Wood manicure/cuticle sticks
• Nail buffer
• Nail file
• Metal cuticle pusher
• Cuticle remover (Sally Hansen Cuticle Remover in the blue container works really well)
• Something to cover your work surface (paper towels)

You need to prep and clean your nails per the instructions. I applied the base coat “Foundation Gel” and found that the tiny brush is a little tricky to work with, but I managed. The key is to apply a thin coat, and use the brush to "push" the gel onto the nail. Any gel that gets onto your cuticle & skin should be removed. I found that a quick swipe with a cuticle stick around and under my nail works well.

Once you cure the foundation gel in your UV dryer, the instructions tell you to dry wipe the tacky layer before you begin your first coat of color. I've done the dry-wipe step and I've skipped it as well, and found that I didn't notice any difference afterwards (in terms of chipping, lifting, etc.) either way.

I think applying the gel polish is easier in some ways than regular polish. With regular nail polish you have to work quickly, otherwise it begins to dry & you end up with brush marks. With gel polish, it doesn’t dry until you go to the UV dryer, so you have much more time to work with the color on your nail, clean up, etc.
On the other hand, gel polish can also be more difficult than regular polish. Since it is a gel, it can get smeary very quickly if you aren't careful. I also noticed gel polish isn't as pigmented/opaque as regular polish, and that most colors require 3 coats to look good.

Once you cure the final topcoat, take a wipe and some Gelish cleanser (or 91% alcohol), & remove the final tacky layer.

Application time: Plan for at least 1 hour. You need to take your time, because you can't sloppily apply gel polish the way you can with regular polish. Also, with a UV nail dryer, you have to cure each coat you apply for 2 min. An LED nail dryer will cure each coat in 30 sec, but it is much more expensive.

Result: Please excuse the rough hands - This is 2 coats of Bella’s Vampire, which is a dark vampy (ha ha) deep reddish/purple cream.

Wear: Stays shiny and chip free for a good 10 days for me, but you’ll see some tip wear as well as a gap at the cuticle from nail growth.

Removal: Lightly file the topcoat to “break the seal”. I use the foil method & it works in about 15 minutes or so.
To accelerate the process: Once you have “foiled” your fingers, you can wrap your hands in towels & then apply heat using a heating pad on Low.

Update: I've been using Gelish now for about a year, and I am still loving it! I now own over 30 colors. ♥ continued >>

Popular Polishes