Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Greed

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion - Greed

3.5

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Synthetic Beeswax. May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491/77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 12/8/2015 2:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I was trying to get my staple UDPP and bought this by accident on Taobao (I live in China where UD is not readily available). Disaster! I just wanted my usual colourless base and instead I got this gold nightmare version. It would have been OK if it was a subtle shimmer, but applied on the lid this is a over the top gold color. I tried to smear it out really thin so it wouldn't be so obvious, but it still has lots of gold glitter in it. I guess I shouldn't fault the product for not being what I had intended to buy, but I really don't see myself using this much at all unless I am really going for a full on metallic smoky eye or something. So only buy this shade if you don't mind being a golden glitter bomb... if you like that look, more power to you.

To add insult to injury, this seems to work a little less well than regular UDPP as a primer too. When I've used this, the dark shadow I use to line my eyes transfers to just above my crease, making my eyeshadow look messy. This was supposed to hold it fast! Needless to say, will not buy this again, at least I hope not!

This product upholds the Urban Decay quality for what this line is so well loved. That, for me, was enough to overlook how obnoxious the color could sometimes be.
I saw this potion on sale for $10 at Ulta, wondered why such a gem would be discounted, and snatched it up immediately. I had expectations of having a pleasant experience with this PP, because UDPP has been my infallible go-to for years now.
Its abilities as a primer potion are just as amazing as those of a non-colored UDPP. It gives your eyelids a golden shimmer upon application, which is very noticeable. Surprisingly, though, it's easy to cover up the golden shimmer with any eyeshadow you use. So, you can't see any of the gold if you don't want that to be a part of your visible eye makeup. Sometimes, though, it's difficult to blend it out evenly because it's colored, and it takes some time to dry. If there's a spot where the primer is applied thickly or thinly, you can tell. You can't wear this primer alone unless you want your lids to be tinted with a field of gold. It doesn't crease at all though- I've used this product in water and worn it for 20 hours at a time- and your eye makeup stays flawless all day.
I absolutely love the squeeze tube, and I have a few choice words for the geeeenius at Urban Decay who decided to later change the primer potions back to a wand tube, raised the price and decreased the amount of potion per tube. My wallet absolutely /loves/ UD's R&D department (major sarcasm). The squeeze tube is so convenient and controllable- if you can get your hands on one, I promise you that even Greed is a worthwhile purchase.
As for price, it's typical for a product of this kind- it's like $22 now. A potion like Greed will last you for many months- I just used mine up after starting it in late winter.
I like Greed overall- the color can get a bit obnoxious to deal with, but the product itself reflects some high quality performance.

To Read all 44 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/20/2015 8:56:00 PM

I fell for the hype when I bought this primer. I love UD shadows, so I thought the primer would be amazing too. I bought it in all the colors - Greed, Sin, Eden. And I HATE them all. They are full of chunky glitter and are impossible to blend. The primer have an insane amount of color/shimmer, so putting the shadows over them is very difficult. The only way this product works is as a shadow/base on the lid. Since my main concern is creasing, this product is definitely not for me. It does NOT blend easily into the crease and has way too much color/shimmer to work as a base for other colors.

on 12/15/2013 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I normally use UDPP and bought this in a set without realizing it had color to it. It has a gold shimmer that is fairly strong. You could use this alone as an overall eye "wash" of color. For me, the gold is not a dealbreaker since I have gold toned skin and wear a lot of warm eyeshadow, but if you are pink toned this would probably not work well on you. I am experimenting with this and will use it more for nighttime looks and save my UDPP for day/more conservative looks.

on 12/5/2013 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really love the sheen this eyeshadow primer gives, it intensifies colour and helps your eyeshadow stay on, to an extent. My eyeshadow seemed to smudge a little bit, but not as much as it would without primer. But it's no where near as good as Benefit's Stay Don't Stray primer.

on 11/21/2013 8:11:00 AM

I purchased this on sale for a great price. I love the original UD primer and I wasn't expecting so much color in a primer. I do have to say, however, that it works great as a base under some of their darker shadows and gives a completely different look. I also love to use this with matte shadow over it with a colored liner. My downfall is that if you don't put this on just right and the perfect amount, it does not blend. I can only use this primer if I have extra time to devout to it. I found that using an applicator helps. I would buy this again, though, even though it can be painful to get just the right amount on.

on 9/11/2013 7:16:00 PM

This stuff just enhance my eyeshaddows and make them last longer and look more vivid. I love how its shimmery and can be worn by itself. It might seem a little pricey but I think it would last long, cause a little goes a long way.

I bought this in the 'greed' shade kind of by accident - but gold is pretty understated, and works well as a highlighting base. So it turned out to be a happy accident. Personally, I found the price to be reasonable, especially as with the new packaging you get 10% more for your money. Note for those who have to so eye makeup in a hurry: always wait for the primer potion to dry, and become matte instead of creamy. If you don't, it won't work properly. X

I wrote a poor review on this and after exploring with it a bit more, I decided to rewrite and its very positive. The proper way to work the product is to use a teensy tiny drop and spread to your lid.You cannot put too much onto your lid or you will get a terrible end result. If you are working with deep pigmented shadows, the color will pop and shimmer even more. Your shadows will stay on all day without smearing or smudging or creasing. Because this is a goldish type color, you are limited to what color shadows work with this. More deep and darker shadows work best. This is Not an everyday primer. Overall, great product and I would purchase again. It should last an eternity because u only need to use just a tiny dot. I have heard this product does dry out in the tube after sometime and I hope that doesn't happen because I will be upset considering the price I paid. If the price is not in your range, I recommend NYX eyeshadow base as it works just as well and it is an everyday primer.

I have been using this for a couple of months. I bought it from Ulta store - $20 for a tube. Color: Greed. You can choose to buy a colored primer or not. This primer is gold. It was a little too dramatic by itself for me. I decided I needed to tone it down for the office. I opted to dust the goldish primer with a matte bone shadow. It did the trick. I love the way it looks and it stays on all day.

I gave the packaging two lippies because it is kind of a pain. I wish it was in a pot, instead of a tube. I use a small flat brush to apply it. I am sure that it can't be packaged in a pot as it dries very quickly, sometimes I have to rush the application because it will set before I have my lid completely covered.

I may try the non-colored version next time so that I can use whatever color shadow I want with it.