Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer SPF15

Clinique Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer SPF15

3.8

Active ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 6.80% ; Octisalate 5%; Octinoxate 2.80%; Inactive ingredients: Water, Methyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Betula Alba (Birch) Bark Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dimethicone, Trehalose, Sorbitol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Menthol, Trihydroxystearin, Hydroxyapatite, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lecithin, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Laureth-7, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Cetrimonium Chloride, PVP, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Aluminum Hydroxide, Silica, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Dipropylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides

on 5/16/2016 11:26:00 AM

When the Clinique SA approached, I asked for a light foundation. She offered nothing in the way of selection, and limited her suggestions to something called, "Moisture Surge," explaining it was a tinted moisturizer. Before buying it, I asked if I could bring home a small sample, since I had minimal experience with tinted moisturizers - the last time I had purchased a TM was several years earlier - and I wanted to see how one would hold up on my rather "mature skin." I also was concerned about oxidation and the fact that the product contains sunscreen. I have had a problem with intensely watery eyes when wearing sunscreen products for any length of time.

The sales associate curtly denied my request for a tiny sample, saying she didn't have enough product available. I found that hard to believe. Also, I rarely go to the makeup counter in department stores, so I have had no opportunity - or desire- to exploit the industry by requesting frequent samples.

Before I could protest, the SA began slapping something onto my face with a brush that had been used on countless others, no doubt. She explained it was "Moisture Surge," the tinted moisturizer, and insisted it was the proper shade (the lightest, #01). She also insisted that the brush she was using was clean (after I asked), and that all brushes are cleaned regularly, and didn't I realize that Clinique is known for its rigorous hygiene practices? (I'm paraphrasing here). Perhaps she was right about the shade -- after all, there are only a few basic colors available - but I doubt very much her claim about Clinique's supposedly high sanitary standards.

Afterwards, I viewed my face in the Clinique mirror and wasn't all that blown away by the look, but I decided to give Moisture Surge the time test and see how it held up after a few hours. I also wanted to see how it looked in lighting other than the flourescent glare of a department store. Besides, Clinque was offering their silly "free gift" (I hate the redundancy of that phrase!) and I figured I couldn't really lose that much, all in all.

By the end of the day, I did get to properly appraise the product and was not happy with anything about it. It did not make me look better (isn't that the purpose of makeup, in general?), and it had a greasy quality to it. To be fair, however, I did note that Moisture Surge is classified primarily as a "sunscreen," based on the information supplied on the packaging. With this fact in mind, I cannot get too upset over the minimal coverage it affords and the sticky quality of the product. It is a sunscreen first, and a moisturizer second, with "foundation/makeup" coming in dead last.

As for its staying power, after several hours coverage begins to slip and look uneven; heaven forbid you should fall asleep in it and not re-apply when you wake up. It's just not that durable. As for the color, it's orange when it comes out of the bottle, and that hint of orange persists when it's on my face. Maybe not pumpkin orange, but it's certainly not a match for my cool, light skin tone.

The only positive result that arose from this purchase was the little gift bag (a cute little ladybug motif) and most of its contents - a great mascara, the classic "liquid gold" moisturizer, and a decent lipstick. I can't rave on about the blush and eye shadow combo compact, though. Who ever thought it would be a good idea to put dark gray and light gray shadows a hair's width above a pan of pink blush? I guess it's cool if you like your blush mixed with shades of gray....

On balance, buying Moisture Surge was a tremendous FAIL. I'd never repurchase it and, due to my experience with the Clinique sales associate, I am loathe to purchase anything from this company ever again. The Clinique sales associate at a certain mall in PA should hang her head in shame along with her white lab coat.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this tinted moisturizer. It lasts on me all day, even longer than any foundation I own. I put it on over Lancome Genefique serum. That's it. I don't set it with powder. I don't use a primer. I use my (clean) fingers to rub it on around 8:30am and at 6:30pm when I get home and clean my face the tissues show that pretty much all of the makeup remained on my face all day. I have sensitive skin and have experienced no issues with this makeup- no itching, no bumps, no burning. I usually buy foundation in 3N. I purchased this in 3 and it blends perfectly with my skin. I think the coverage is more like a light foundation than a tinted moisturizer but that's probably splitting hairs. I don't exactly think this is a "moisture surge" but it doesn't dry out my skin at all, not even a little. That's good enough for me.

To Read all 163 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/14/2015 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a very nice TM that gives me a luminous look on my skin without any oily sheen. I use it in Shade 1 in the winter and gives my flat flaky skin the moisture and glow it needs. I do pre-moisturize with Neutrogena Sensitive Skin and it last for six hours without needing a touch-up. With a bit of mascara, a nice pink based blush and lipgloss, I'm good to go on my more casual days. My only caveat is that I have to use more than I'd expect to use to cover my skin adequately so though it's only $27, it's not as inexpensive as it seems. Still it tones down the redness in my skin and gives me a nice uniform but radiant complexion. I wish it had a higher SPF but I'd probably repurchase again.

on 1/1/2015 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is not a horrible product but for me it did not work. It looks very dewy, not the pretty dewy but the oily dewy. I have oily to combination skin so I was oily in my t-zone after less than a half hour unless I wore a lot of powder...It did not break me out and almost everything breaks me out so that was good. It also smells fine, I hate tinted moisturizers that smell too strong of sunscreen. But for me it did not spread easily, I tried wearing it alone, over moisturizer, and over a primer and nothing helped, It dried quickly and felt thick. It has good coverage for a tinted moisturizer though. I gave it three lippies because it is not horrible, just did not work for me. I would say try to get a sample or make sure you can return it in case it doesn't work for you, it seemed to work for a lot of other people so maybe my skin is just weird. Good luck!

on 11/14/2014 11:44:00 PM

Love this!! Great texture feels light on my skin. Beautiful finish doesn't feel heavy but wish it came with a pump

on 11/1/2014 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Updated 6/15
MY SKIN: normal, not too dry, not too oily, not sensitive and no acne/breakouts or other skin issues. My skin tone is pretty good, I do have some fine lines and wrinkles, and some slight sun damage spots, no scars or large pores. Nothing major. I was looking for something light, simple and one-step to help even out skin tone and not settle into fine lines, Something natural looking and feeling.

Ultimately, I did not really like this product after all. The formula is a bit sticky, and remains tacky even after I've applied it on my face and some time has gone by. The coverage is slightly dewy, and I found this to behave like a foundation as far as the amount of coverage it offers. At the same time the coverage just wasn't natural enough for me.
It's not particularly moisturizing, not in the way a typical moisturizer would be.
It didn't break me out or irritate my skin at all, it's not a bad product per se, it's just not what I was looking for. If you want a dewy finish, and more obvious coverage than your normal tinted moisturizer, give this a try. Personally I have found foundations that perform much better.

on 10/5/2014 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Usually I am a big fan of Clinique moisturisers, but I was quite disappointed with this one. As a moisturiser, it works well- very light, not too oily, makes skin feel refreshed. However as any form of coverage, I'm not so impressed. I've noticed it oxidising quite quickly, and the colour doesn't sit evenly on my skin. I've also noticed that in drier areas it can actually accentuate the problem, and makes my skin look flakey. I really wanted to like this product more, but unfortunately it just wasn't suitable for me.

Super light weight and blends well, but if you use too much this stuff looks cakey af! This looks really great during the summer and definitely moisturizes, I know that this doesn't effect my face but it oxidized on my hand... Overall good product

on 6/14/2014 5:04:00 PM

this is my 3ed purchase, i use this as foundation and love it in sommer time. My skin is dry but gets oily in t-zone by the evening. i use shade 1. does not oxidize and lookes very good after 5 hours on me with powder. i like the feel of it on my skin all times, its not dry or oily just perfict.

on 5/21/2014 8:44:00 PM

Pros - my skin felt smooth after I applied it
Light weight feel

Cons - accentuated the dryer areas of my skin
Made my skin appear dull
Took more effort than most to get it perfectly blended