E.L.F. Studio Matte Lip Color

E.L.F. Studio Matte Lip Color

3.7

Dimethicone, Polysynlane, Mineral Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Polyethylene, Cerifera (Carnauba)Wax. Silica, Mica, Methylparaben, Tocopherol Acetate (VE), Retinyl Palmitate (VA), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (VC), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491 CI 77492 CI 77499), Blue 1 Lake(CI 42090), Red No.6 Lake (CI 15850), Red No.27 Lake (CI 45410)

A very creamy lip product in a retractable pencil style that is somewhere between a lip chubby stick and a lip liner. I bought this in the color "Natural" which is a nude/pink shade, a little lighter than I expected but still a very wearable color for me. This lipstick applies easily and dries down to a matte finish. The end of the pencil has a removable sharpener so if you like to keep a sharper point on the end, you can achieve this easily. I really like this product as you can apply it precisely like a lip liner and yet it is still quick to fill in your lips because it is bigger than a liner but not as big as a chubby stick. There is no detectable scent and the formula feels so smooth on application. Even when it dries down, it is not completely drying on the lips, there will be the slightest hint of transfer but I'd rather that than super dehydrated feeling lips. I will definitely repurchase, as there are some really great shades to choose from, not to mention the price is right! This is one of my favorite quick and easy lipsticks.

on 5/2/2016 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I got this product in Praline. I plan to purchase more ASAP! I have dry lips, and constant problems with lip products wearing off. I was very pleased with the 4-6 hour longevity I'm getting under normal circumstances! My daughter has most of the shades in this line. She reports that they are all very good.

To Read all 192 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

BEST LIPSTICK EVER. I own this in the shade Praline, which is absolutely perfect for me to wear every day. It's My Lips But Better. It's super hard to find a matte lipstick that isn't super drying, but this one doesn't dry me out at all. The colour lasts for hours too! I wouldn't say it lasts all day, but I can get a good 4-6 hours out of one application before it starts to fade. The feel of it on my lips is barely noticeable, which I love. Oh, did I mention it was only $10 (NZD)? And ELF doesn't test on animals.
I would say that the stick is a little thick for precise application, which wouldn't be good for a red or any other bright shade. That's the only bad thing I have to say about this product. I'll definitely buy more shades.

on 4/6/2016 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

In a previous review, I said I was done with matte lipsticks. Yet, I have had this ELF Fuschia color for some time and have been reaching for it more often. It is wonderful! I use as a lip liner and at times a lipstick.

The Fuschia color, to me, appears to be the perfect red color. I have worn them without a balm or gloss on top and haven't found them to be as drying as some of the other matte lipsticks.

Thanks ELF for the great product!

on 3/14/2016 1:44:00 PM

I have this product in Tea Rose. It's a beautiful neutral tone, more tea colored than rose, which I appreciate because I didn't want a pink lip color. It's great for day wear at work. It doesn't last long and needs reapplying quite frequently. I haven't noticed it being drying any more than typical with lip products.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Rarely am I lucky enough to find a matte lip color that isn't drying and doesn't accentuate the natural lines in my lips. But behold this wonderful product! Honestly, if you've always wanted to venture into the matte lipstick territory, this is perfect for you. Please don't be afraid to try it, because it offers enough smoothness to glide on easily, without sacrificing any of the matte texture.

I have two colors: Tea Rose and Rich Red. For the record, I'm an NC35 with yellow undertones. With that being said, I cannot recommend Tea Rose for warm skin tones. I'm so bummed that this turned out to be made for neutral and cool skin tones, because it's such a classy and stunning color. Very unique. Unfortunately it made me look like a corpse, but I just apply a lip gloss over it so I don't feel as if I've wasted my money. :P

As for Rich Red, holy smoke! Oh my God, what a sexy beast this color is. It's that perfect, classic, neutral red that looks fantastic on pretty much everyone. And I just love the fact that the thinness of the lippie means that you have a good deal of control over how it ends up looking on your lips.

Applying classic red lipstick can be a daunting task because it's very unforgiving; but E.L.F.'s inclusion of a lippie sharpener at the bottom of this product is a gift from Heaven itself. Now we can dare to wear all the red we want! :D

on 3/2/2016 4:57:00 PM

I bought these in Tea Rose, which on me is a lovely cool-toned nude, and Rich Red, which is a neutral red. Both colors have a true matte finish. They are also pretty drying, which does seem to be par for the course with matte lipsticks. The smell is unnoticeable.

This is an almost pencil-thin twist-up tube. In the Tea Rose (nude,) I wish it were a regular lipstick tube. But in Rich Red, I appreciate the control afforded by the thin tip.

I haven't noticed poor wear from the Tea Rose, but then again, it's nude, so a bit of fading isn't that noticeable. With the Rich Red, I have ended up with no lipstick anywhere but the edges of my lips after a couple hours of nursing a coffee.

I would recommend this product for softer shades, because it's priced well, but I would exercise caution with any bold ones.

on 2/29/2016 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I have these in the shades "Natural" and "Praline". They feel very nice once applied and provides a nice matte finish. I only say the obvious because many lip products that claim to be matte aren't and for $3 a pop, these live up to their claim. I find Natural too chalky on my pigmented lips while Praline was a nice reddish brown neutral. They do dry out but you don't get that extremely tight feeling and I find that I can reapply them without it looking all weird from the initial application.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I rated 3/5 for packaging simply because I am not fond of the size of the bullet. I prefer the traditional type of bullet, where there is more surface area between the lipstick and my lips: quicker application!

I bit the bullet (gross but pun intended) and bought 2 shades from the ELF website: Mulberry Maven (cool toned, plum-y blood red), and Natural, since I've heard so many good reviews about it. I ordered during a time where I can get a bundle that includes Rowdy Rouge (a very chic orange red) as well.

Mulberry Maven (new-ish colour) is a great colour. It is an adventurous shade, and I think it would fit a variety of skin tones. I have warm Southeast Asian skin and I got many compliments when I wore it. Since it is a mixture of crimson and plum (think Burberry's Oxblood, plus berry-plum), I believe cool toned skins would pull it off too. I tried applying this over lip balm but it did not stick as well, and the colour was less opaque. Ladies, do not be scared to apply this sans-lip balm. It will not dry your lips out, and the colour payoff will be much better! I would imagine this to look really nice on deeper skin tones as well.

Now... onto "Natural". I was disappointed. It is definitely not for my skin. I have naturally coral lips, so this one looked extremely chalky on me. I look washed out and unhealthy. I have to add some mauve gloss on top in order to achieve the Spring look I was aiming for. Many people can pull this off because of their pale skin, but this shade is definitely not for me. I do love the formula, however. It is matte, not drying, and sits comfortably on my lips. As I said above, I don't need to apply a lip balm underneath like other matte lipsticks.

Rowdy Rouge is a pretty summer colour that I would considered bright. Definitely a statement, but not a staple. It is orange-based, so I'm not sure if cool-toned skin would pull this off or not. I feel like this colour is for fair to olive skin tones. Just a tip: sharpen the tip often for a pristine look, especially for such a rich colour like this.

Would I buy this again? Yes, but in other shades! ELF offers so many amazing shades, and I want to try them all. I wish they would come out with more shades as well, since the formula is amazing!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this product in the color "natural" the first time I saw that my local wal-mart started carrying elf products. Natural is a beautiful color and it was a product that I carried in my purse along with a few others that I rotate. This was my first run with a matte lip product and I was impressed, so to my surprise walmart started carrying a few new shades and included in those was the shade "TEA ROSE". I purchased it just thinking i would give it a shot considering I am a little shy when it comes to lipstick and anything besides glosses and boy am I so beyond pleased with this shade. It's a gorgeous cool toned mauve, with a matte finish. It doesn't dry down to uncomfortable nor does it flake and roll like other mattes I've tried from the drugstore. I've gotten handfuls of compliments at work from clients about this product. It's more than worth the incredible $3 price tag and it's the best pinky/mauve/Kylie Jenner-esque color that I have found so far. From swatches I've seen this could be a fabulous dupe for the Dose of Colours liquid lipstick in the color "stone". Give it a try you will not be disappointed. It's my holy grail lip product and I purchased three backups today!