bareMinerals Original SPF 15 Foundation

bareMinerals Original SPF 15 Foundation
Original SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21%. Inactive Ingredients: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide

on 8/7/2018 10:07:00 PM

I came back to this product this year in desperation. I used it throughout my early 20s when it was kind of the thing to do, and never felt very strongly about it. I don't believe, in retrospect, that my application skills were quite there yet. I turned forty this year, and have enjoyed the pleasures of dry, flaky, hypothyroid skin, along with adult cystic acne! Yay! I consulted a derm about skincare, went to my gynecologist/endocrinologist for hormonal help, and when it got as good as it was gonna get, I bought this foundation about a month ago. Shelby Wilson, the YouTube guru taught me how to apply, and I set to work. I AM IN LOVE. It truly covers what I need covered, without settling into fine lines or creasing. It lasts all day, and best of all...my painful cystic acne is gone. Even more...I swear, my skin glows now, even without the product on. So, so pleased with bareMinerals.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Powders suck the moisture out my dry skin and enhances lines. It doesn’t matter what I do for prep - I’ve tried it all - oils, butters, you name it.
I’m not really sure what made me think this powder would be any different, perhaps seeing good reviews here on MUA from similar skin types and getting it on a good sale. But it is different, and I’m wowed - this product doesn’t dry my skin out! I suppose it’s because it’s true to its name, containing just the minerals that typically get added to a base. There’s nothing to counteract my moisturizing efforts.
I think this is worth a try for anyone who is generally happy with their skin or skin care routine as there seems to be nothing in it that adds moisture/oil or reduces/removes oil. It can be lightly brushed on with a big fluffy brush to get light coverage, or buffed in with a firm kabuki to increase coverage to medium. I haven’t tried any of the brushes Bare Minerals sells to compliment this product (the older full flawless face brush or new beautiful finish face brush) to see if either works better than my Sigma round kabuki or large powder brush. But I plan to.
It has a little bit of shimmer in it, certainly not anything sparkly, but just enough to give a little bit of radiance so the original formula is not good for anyone wanting a matte finish. I’ve worn it a full day and I am not feeling it on my skin both upon initial application and during the day. I also don’t feel I need to touch it up at all, but I never have any issues with foundations disappearing due to my skin type, on me it doesn’t fade or shift. It does, however, rub off a little if I don’t do a light misting of facial spray, which I think also improves its appearance. It’s not by any means a full coverage product but I think concealing any problem areas first, then applying the bare minerals powder, one should be happy with the outcome.
I’ll have to admit trying this product finally taught me what my true skin tone is. I always thought I was warm, but I’m actually cool, as the warm shades looked very yellow when doing test swatches on my face. I ended up getting two different shades as I have been experimenting with using this both as a foundation and as a finishing powder. One shade currently is an excellent match to my skin tone when used alone; the other shade a little lighter as I think my foundation (even the bare minerals complexion rescue) makes it darken a little. As the actual level of SPF anyone would get would depend on how thick this powder is applied, I plan on using a separate sunscreen underneath, the only factor preventing me from calling this a HG product. I am also finding this does not hold up on humid days or if I sweat excessively... I carry a tissue and blot sweaty areas (upper lip, forehead) and some comes off onto the tissue.

on 8/17/2017 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This is my HG foundation it provides the most luminous healthy finish that looks natural. It has never irritated my extremely sensitive skin and I like that it contains a physical sunscreen for extra protection. I dust a light layer all over my face then pinpoint conceal blemishes by stippling over them with an e.l.f. contour eyeshadow brush. It's transfer resistant, lasts all day, and wears evenly. I buy the Holiday edition at Christmas that is much larger than the regular container. It's cheaper per gram and the packaging is beautiful. I then depot some of the foundation into a vintage Stratton powder compact for travel.

Update: Since using a sunscreen with 20% zinc oxide religiously I've found both the shades Fairly Light and Golden Fair to be WAY to dark and Fair and Fair Ivory are too cool toned. NARS Chantilly is now an exact match for my skin tone. The formula is beautiful so if you're a nc/nw10 or above it should work for you.

on 7/19/2017 1:13:00 PM

I love this product! It looks so natural but still covers imperfections. I have very sensitive, dry skin and this foundation looks flawless. It doesn't sweat or rub off like many liquid foundations.

on 7/19/2017 12:49:00 PM

I have to say this is the most amazing foundation I have ever used, I have used many foundations over the year's, Chanel, Estee Lauder, Gurerlain, Clinique, Mac etc. and this is the best I have ever used, it feels lovely on my skin which is rosacea sensitive skin.
The product is very buildable and at first I thought it was going to look like powder on the skin, but when you buff it in it seems to melt into the skin and become luminous, I put a second layer on as I like more coverage and it's beautiful, it lasts all day and my skin looks really fresh by the end of the day.

The packaging is really clever to so you don't use too much product a little goes a long way, it doesn't feel like I'm wearing foundation but has great coverage.

It is very inexpensive compared to other brands, and it only has 5 ingredients in it.

I have also purchased the primer and the mineral veil, and will be trying more of their products too.

Sorry I didn't try this years ago I'm not going to change foundation again.

on 3/2/2017 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I really like this stuff. I was very against powder foundations for a very long time but decided to give this item a whirl after receiving a deluxe sample in an order. I was very impressed that this powder really does melt into the skin like a liquid foundation would. I don't bother with the matching primer or mineral veil setting powder and this wears on my combo/oily skin nicely even in hot weather. Even though I'm more on the oily side (drying out as I get older) I still really enjoy the dewy finish of this. It's very flattering and healthy looking.

Shade Fairly Light is a great match for my neutral toned fair skin without being too light or too orange.

Definitely going to purchase the full size.

With that said, this is MESSY. I hate loose products because of this but will deal.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've worn fairly light, medium and now with their new colors I am golden ivory. I'm Nc20 so maybe that will help someone. It looks great on and it doesn't aggravate my rosacea. If primed right it doesn't emphasize my dry skin and can look flawless all day. It's been around forever for a reason.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

After 20 years, this is still my favorite foundation. Easy to apply even if you need to do it in your bathrobe and not your clothes because yes, it does fly around a bit while you buff. The color selections can't be beat and has recently been extended to 30 shades. The coverage is better than you would expect, the texture is smooth and the finish is just that little bit of glow to look like natural skin. I am a foundation freak, I will try anything new. But this is what i always come back to and its been the only foundation i've purchased more than once over the course of two decades.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I used this product when I was in grad school.... good consistency, however, led to minor breakouts for the first month...skin seemed to adjust and results were mediocre to good for the following 8 months. Went to a new product on the advice of my MIL. It's worth a try if your considering

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

It's what I like in a powder- light feel, good coverage and easy to apply.