Bare Escentuals Original SPF 15 Foundation

Bare Escentuals Original SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 12.6%, Zinc Oxide 21%. Inactive Ingredients: Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Iron Oxides, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

So incredibly awful. Not only does this oxidize about 3 shades darker than my skin tone, the bismuth irritates my skin so badly. It leaves me itchy, breaks me out, red rashes on my face. It gives very good coverage but at the same time has a metallic finish almost...looks shiny and unnatural. I like the matte version but the original is terrible.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

The other day I was buying donuts and the girl behind the register had the most beautiful, glowing, flawless skin I had ever seen. I immediately asked her about her entire makeup regimen and she told me that she uses Bare Minerals. I am a total product junkie but Bare Minerals is a product I had never even really considered because I was turned off by the endless late-night infomercials. The next day I rushed to Ulta and bought the pressed foundation like the girl said she used, but after a poor color match I ended up exchanging it for a loose powder which I think I like a little better. The loose powder seems easier to build up coverage somehow.

I think this is a truly amazing product for the right person/purpose. My skin is oily, breakout-prone and I always hated the thought of liquid foundation on my skin. I survived all of my 20s wearing only concealer and a little powder on my skin. After having my daughter, my skin seemed to need a little extra help. I looked tired all the time and the hormone changes didn't do my skin any favors. I felt uneven and blotchy. I started using liquid foundation but I found that I was having breakouts almost every week. I even bought a dermatologist tool so I could extract my pores nightly after removing all the makeup. I had to wear more and more makeup to cover the blemishes and that caused me to have more blemishes. I just wanted something light and non pore-clogging with moderate coverage. Bare Minerals is the perfect product for that. It covers so much better than I expected, leaves my skin feeling flawless and glowing and I don't get super oily an hour after putting my makeup on like I used to. My breakouts have all cleared up after 2 days of using this product; My skin is probably the clearest it's been in over a year and feels super healthy and radiant. I don't know why I never really gave Bare Minerals a chance before but I'm so glad I finally did.

To Read all 119 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/28/2015 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I really like this product. It's very light weight and it's perfect for the summer months when you don't have too much products on your face.

I can use it only during the summer months, because in the winter time my skin is too dry to use a powder foundation. It has some micro glitter which aren't evident on the skin but give a nice glow to the complexion.

The packaging is pretty nice even if when I close the cap, somehow some product come off the sifter, but it's not a big deal. it doesnt go waisted.
I really think I would repurchaise once every two summers :) maybe I should try it as a bronzer.........

on 8/29/2015 6:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have an love and hate relationship with the Bare Minerals Original foundation.

I like the idea of it, but after i put it on, it doesn't look nice. My pores are showing, and they look worse than my bare skin. It doesn't matter what kind of primer I put on before hand, it still doesn't look good.

The only time I can use it, it is using the BB primer, then us the complexion gel cream, then i use it on top. Which can give me a medium plus coverage, and not much pores are showing.

I think i would not get this again. It needs too much work to make it work.

I have to give it to this though, after even a long day wearing, my skin still feel very light. And not oily at all.

I love the idea of mineral makeup and the swirl tap buff application. I love how this makes my skin feel. The only thing I don't like it is can look cake-y if you try to build a fuller coverage, you have to do light layers. And I have dry skin, so it kind of makes me look flat and dull with the powder. I still choose liquids over powdered foundation, but on days I want a natural look and I'm just around the house or gonna be outside all day, this is my go to. It does last, and doesn't feel heavy, and has SPF. Just put complexion rescue and a good moisturizer underneath if you have dry skin, and buff in some mineral veil and add some color to your cheeks to not make your face look like a corpse.

on 7/1/2015 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

As a foundation addict I always wanted to give this a try. I have oily skin with fairly noticeable pores under my darkish under eye circles. I buffed my new golden medium foundation with a RT face brush and... It was definaty different.

Liked:
- Color match was great for us Simpson-ish yellow people
- Felt very lightweight. Great for summer!
- Coverage was amazing
- Easy application

Disliked:
- Gathered in pores causing them to appear larger
- It smoothed tone but not texture. Does little to hide unflattering shadows and puffiness (my number one complaint)
- Oily skin can cause product to wear off

Overall, this is a great everyday product and perfect for a quick, easy complexion enhancement. I personally prefer my liquid foundation routine but that's just me.

on 5/25/2015 11:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this foundation.

Gives enough coverage to even out skintone and cover redness.

Not heavy at all and feels like you're not even wearing foundation.

Buffs into skin beautifully and makes my skin glow.

Only downside is price but it's well worth it.

on 5/15/2015 11:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Before i begin i have combination skin with slight sensitivity.

This product is amazing IF you know how to use it right!

As a Setting Powder:
As most people use this as a setting powder over liquid or cream foundations.
1) Its best to use a big fluffy brush to achieve even colour *i use Sigma F30*
2) This product has buildable light to mild coverage
3) Does not leave a powdery complextion

As a Foundation:
You can use this as a foundation itself but best for those who have already really good skin that just have a fee blemishes or discolouration.
1) Apply concealer to areas that need attention
2) Use a flat kabuki brush to apply on the face in a circular motion pressing gently * i use Sigma F80*
3) By using a flat kabuki brush instead of a fluffy powder brush allows more concentrated application as well as more of flawless natural look.

I have not experienced and clogging of pores nor sensitiviy. Its a great product and my Favourite when i want to achieve a natural healthy look.
I purchased mine from Mecca for $35 and last about 3 months when i use it everyday.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Surprise, this worked better than Laura Geller Balance n Brighten or Smashbox Halo. The color I use is medium beige, said to be less pink, and it is. I'm a neutral beige, one fairer than medium. This really has just enough coverage to even my skin tone. As I get older (I'm in my sixties) I find I don't like a heavy liquid foundation. I have a few fine lines, mainly a few on cheek and forehead and the powder disguises them, doesn't accentuate them. You don't need to use much, either. A small dusting on a powder brush, buffed in and it's amazing how well it looks. I alternate with IT CC cream and powder, but this is actually a better look and the color match is the best I've found. You wouldn't think you'd get good coverage with powder, but in this case, I certainly do. I found Smashbox Halo to be too drying and BnB had not enough coverage for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I'm not sure why I thought I should try this foundation...but I did anyway. I have VERY sensitive skin ever since I was a baby and don't react well to many products, even water makes my skin red and irritated sometimes. So I thought, "Everyone online is recommending this foundation for sensitive skin...I should get it." I did buy it and I used it for a few weeks...after figuring out how to get some coverage. (I have acne, light acne scarring, and a lot of redness.) The only way I could get enough coverage is if I piled it on. (Not recommended) I did try to apply like the instructions say...but it didn't give me any coverage. After a few weeks I noticed more breakouts in places I don't normally break out and the only new thing in my routine was this foundation. I discontinued use after finding out it was causing my breakouts. It also tended to clog the pores on the sides of my nose...I didn't really have a good experience but if you have minimal imperfections and skin that isn't acne prone by all means give it a try!