Orly Royal Velvet

Orly Royal Velvet

4.4

on 8/27/2016 10:31:00 AM

This polish can be a bit of a headache to apply, but the payoff is worth it, so stick with it!

It goes on sheer and pretty streaky. Personally, two coats of polish are usually all I'm willing to bother with, but I can't get away with two coats of Royal Velvet. To get the color on the nail as it looks in the bottle, it has to be three thin coats....and occasionally I still see a bald patch or two. That's okay. I'm not obsessive about my nails; as long as they look good, I'm happy.

Once you get past the application, though---wow! You have a dark purple with a strong blue duochrome that absolutely glows from within in the sunlight. It's gorgeous, and IMO it's worth the extra care I have to put into application.

on 10/20/2013 6:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

One of the polishes that keep going back to

on 6/29/2012 11:36:00 AM

Interesting color. Normally, I'm not a fan of dark blue or purple polishes but I saw this color in the store and was intrigued. Still, it is a tad goth IMO-- it's very dark and looks almost black indoors. It looks great in sunlight or fluorescent light as it shifts between blue and purple. I like Orly polishes. They dry with a nice finish and last a long time. I use a base coat with dark polishes to minimize yellowing of my nail.

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This color was on clearance at Ulta. I wonder why it is a great color. I love royal blue and I love purple so this is the best of both worlds. A wonderful duochrome. It took me three coats to get to the color intensity I desired and I have topped off with Seche Vite TC. I am on day two so I can not comment on chips or wear, so far so good!

on 3/19/2011 11:41:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This color looks really different in different lighting...very pretty in all of them! I used 3 coats for completely opaque color, but my nails were very long when I wore this.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Orly's Royal Velvet is a shimmery dark purple polish with a very heavy blue flash/duochrome effect. In some lights it's blue and in others dark violet. There is also very slight dark pink shimmer that is hardly visible; however, what this shimmer does is add a not-so-flattering bruised look around the cuticle area on my light complexion with slight yellow undertones. This bruised effect is not visible all the time, just in certain lighting.

The application on this was, IMO, horrible. The consistency of the polish was very gloopy and sticky and remained so even after adding quite a bit of thinner. The first coat was extremely streaky and had a muddy purple tone. The second coat evened out the streaking; however, I found that if I needed to go over any area more than once, I ended up with bald patches. Three coats completely evened out this polish and it dried perfectly.

All in all, for the most part I really like this color but due to the application and formula issues and because it leans more toward blue than purple, I won't be buying this one again.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This is a great color from Orly's spring collection. At first I thought this color would have a bruised effect but it's beautiful. It's not as duo chrome as I thought it would be but more like a peacock effect. The colors it flashes are violet andpeacock blue. The application was fabulous as well; usually I hate the application of Orly nail polish. I used two coats for full coverage. The Orly spring collection is my favorite so far.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I think it's LOVE! From Orly's Spring 2011 Precious Collection, Royal Velvet is the quintessential blurple... With flashes of blue, purple and deep magenta, Royal Velvet is a duo-chrome that must be purchased, owned and worn to truly appreciate. Enjoy ladies. :)

Popular Polishes